5 more years!!!!!

15,256 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Blueblood
bearsandgiants
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sebastabear
Boom shakalaka. Thanks to all who made this happen.
FloriDreaming
Knowlton showing he can get things done. Good move by the AD and good timing.

Yes, I still want Baldwin gone. Keeping JW and dumping Baldwin aren't mutually exclusive. In fact they're mutually beneficial.

I'm noticing a real difference in the level of professionalism from Cal Athletics with the new AD.

Now... let's get Wyking the eff out of there so Cal can get back on track with both revenue sports.

Go Bears!!

Goobear
Thanks to all!
calgldnbear
Show me the money !!!!!

Apparently Justin likes it here at Cal

This is good news .... gotta get those positive feelings and vibes to continue

Go Bears!!!!!
75bear
It's nice to be proactive. Congrats to Justin - he seems like a guy people want to play for and be associated with.
ColoradoBear
$3.25 million per year and a $600k assistant coach pool bump, according to Wilner.
bearister
I am very happy about this. Congrats, Coach Wilcox!
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Golden One
Following is the note from Knowlton; looks like Beau isn't going anywhere (see the comment about Wilcox's "excellent staff" in the first paragraph):

Dear Cal Athletics Community,

I am writing to you today to share some great news for our football program, our athletic department and our University. Justin Wilcox and I have come to an agreement on the terms for a new five-year contract that extends through the 2023 football season. Since Justin was hired in January of 2017, he has assembled an excellent staff and has built a football program centered around character, purpose and developing the entire student-athlete. Justin is an educator at his core, and he is passionate about growing these young men on and off the field.

I am incredibly proud of our student-athletes and coaches for what they have accomplished over the past several months. Among our on-field highlights is a victory over a very talented Washington team that went on to capture the Pac-12 title last weekend. A few weeks later, we defeated USC to win at the LA Coliseum for the first time since 2000 and secure our sixth victory to become bowl eligible, making November 10 an unforgettable evening that will last for many years to come.

We are looking forward to taking on TCU in the Cheez-It Bowl on Wednesday, December 26, and I hope you can join us in Phoenix for the game. Tickets are available now throughCalBears.com/tickets or by calling (800) GO BEARS (462-3277) and pressing option 3 to speak to a Gold Standard representative. Justin and the football program are excited to face a quality opponent in a great destination. For this group of dedicated student-athletes, this is a chance to play one more game in the Cal uniform and with a team that they love.

We are seeing tremendous momentum and increased support and engagement among our faculty, alumni, students and fans. With the trajectory of the program, we believe it is important to show a continuing and strengthened commitment to Justin and his staff by providing additional resources. The results of his two years have generated incredible enthusiasm around the program, and we are enthusiastic about the future. With this new agreement for Justin, we are looking forward to continued success in the bowl game, next season and beyond.

Jim Knowlton
Director of Athletics
85Bear
ColoradoBear said:

$3.25 million per year and a $600k assistant coach pool bump, according to Wilner.
Yay! And the assistant pool bump in pay is almost as important.
YamhillBear
Glad to hear it. No mention about possible increases for assistants. Anyone have any insider info on that? ( I guess I better pony up my three bucks for my demo of the premium board)
Golden One
85Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

Wow! Doesn't that more than double his current salary? Hope that motivates him to build a decent offense.
sycasey
85Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

Yeah, I think this puts us just behind Oregon and Washington in the P12? (That's among public schools, as the private schools don't disclose salaries.)

I have been saying to those who criticized Cal for "going cheap" on coaches: the precedent is that the school will pony up once a coach shows he can win. Same here.
socaltownie
BOOM!!! The Cannon on tightwad has sounded!! Incredibly incredibly happy.

I just hope that beau (or someone else) brings the same coaching moxie that DR and JW bring on the defensive side of the ball.
kirklandblue
Great, great news! From what we've seen, I can't think of a better fit for HC at Cal. I suspect JW feels infinitely wiser for these past two years and is ready to put it all into high gear. Should be a big boost for recruiting.
Rushinbear
Golden One said:

Following is the note from Knowlton; looks like Beau isn't going anywhere (see the comment about Wilcox's "excellent staff" in the first paragraph):

Dear Cal Athletics Community,

I am writing to you today to share some great news for our football program, our athletic department and our University. Justin Wilcox and I have come to an agreement on the terms for a new five-year contract that extends through the 2023 football season. Since Justin was hired in January of 2017, he has assembled an excellent staff and has built a football program centered around character, purpose and developing the entire student-athlete. Justin is an educator at his core, and he is passionate about growing these young men on and off the field.

I am incredibly proud of our student-athletes and coaches for what they have accomplished over the past several months. Among our on-field highlights is a victory over a very talented Washington team that went on to capture the Pac-12 title last weekend. A few weeks later, we defeated USC to win at the LA Coliseum for the first time since 2000 and secure our sixth victory to become bowl eligible, making November 10 an unforgettable evening that will last for many years to come.

We are looking forward to taking on TCU in the Cheez-It Bowl on Wednesday, December 26, and I hope you can join us in Phoenix for the game. Tickets are available now throughCalBears.com/tickets or by calling (800) GO BEARS (462-3277) and pressing option 3 to speak to a Gold Standard representative. Justin and the football program are excited to face a quality opponent in a great destination. For this group of dedicated student-athletes, this is a chance to play one more game in the Cal uniform and with a team that they love.

We are seeing tremendous momentum and increased support and engagement among our faculty, alumni, students and fans. With the trajectory of the program, we believe it is important to show a continuing and strengthened commitment to Justin and his staff by providing additional resources. The results of his two years have generated incredible enthusiasm around the program, and we are enthusiastic about the future. With this new agreement for Justin, we are looking forward to continued success in the bowl game, next season and beyond.

Jim Knowlton
Director of Athletics
Finally, an actual AD.
Rushinbear
YamhillBear said:

Glad to hear it. No mention about possible increases for assistants. Anyone have any insider info on that? ( I guess I better pony up my three bucks for my demo of the premium board)
Elsewhere, it was said a $600K boost in the pool for assts.
HighlandDutch
Golden One said:

I have no idea one way or the other what's happening with Baldwin, but were you hoping the AD's letter would refer to "a mostly excellent staff" or "an excellent staff (except for that one guy, who shall remain nameless)"?
bearsandgiants
I'm elated. I do hope JW allocates that 600k based on merit. The DC deserves a BIG chunk.
OdontoBear66
HighlandDutch said:

Golden One said:

I have no idea one way or the other what's happening with Baldwin, but were you hoping the AD's letter would refer to "a mostly excellent staff" or "an excellent staff (except for that one guy, who shall remain nameless)"?
Hear ya, but I think at the time of this type announcement you keep it all positive. The chips will fall if deemed necessary. I think the fanbase has been heard.
okaydo
I'm still amazed we landed Wilcox when we did and that nobody else even considered him to be head coaching material.
HighlandDutch
OdontoBear66 said:

HighlandDutch said:

Golden One said:

Hear ya, but I think at the time of this type announcement you keep it all positive. The chips will fall if deemed necessary. I think the fanbase has been heard.
I think you and I agree.
LunchTime
bearsandgiants said:

I'm elated. I do hope JW allocates that 600k based on merit. The DC deserves a BIG chunk.
I hope he spends that on position coaches, where most of the development is done.
RJABear
Well done. Cal AD made the right move with the Wilcox extension / increase. I will send a letter to Jim K.
LunchTime
okaydo said:

I'm still amazed we landed Wilcox when we did and that nobody else even considered him to be head coaching material.
He might not be what we want from a head coach, but he sure as hell can run a defense still.

Glad to see we have some runway to find out.

The uptick in ticket sales (for the first time in over a decade) and a bowl in his second season sure mean a lot to the program, it seems.
fatmoon
I think you all are crazy. It's too early to give him an extension. This is a dumb move by Cal. This reminded me of the extension Tedford got. If Beau remain as the OC next season, JW will be a bust.

Another Bear
okaydo said:

I think the conventional wisdom is to hire either a guru or a glib, glad-hander who can handle the press and donors. The thing about gurus, that label doesn't get applied until after HC experience (see Bill Walsh...no one thought he'd be a HC either). Wilcox isn't a glad-handier but might turn out to be a defensive guru. I actually appreciate he's not a "talker", which doesn't play well at Cal (see Dykes, Sonny), or specifically with UC. You know, don't outshine the Nobels, the MacArthurs or other big time academics because that's the real business.

Cal has done very well going the coordinator to HC route with Tedford and Wilcox. I think that's the model Cal should stick with unless it's a sussessor/hand off deal.
KenBurnski
Coach Helton??
Sebastabear
KenBurnski said:

Coach Helton??
No. I think Helton has at least 20 posts on this site. This guy has 16.
okaydo
Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

I think the conventional wisdom is to hire either a guru or a glib, glad-hander who can handle the press and donors. The thing about gurus, that label doesn't get applied until after HC experience (see Bill Walsh...no one thought he'd be a HC either). Wilcox isn't a glad-handier but might turn out to be a defensive guru. I actually appreciate he's not a "talker", which doesn't play well at Cal (see Dykes, Sonny), or specifically with UC. You know, don't outshine the Nobels, the MacArthurs or other big time academics because that's the real business.

Cal has done very well going the coordinator to HC route with Tedford and Wilcox. I think that's the model Cal should stick with unless it's a sussessor/hand off deal.

I never watch or listen to Wilcox's interviews. I just expect them to be not interesting, and I don't care. I don't expect him to entertain me. It's also oddly refreshing to see him not be on Twitter. Not that he would get in trouble on social media (see: Leach), but I'm just glad there isn't that possibility.

Another Bear
okaydo said:

Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

I never watch or listen to Wilcox's interviews. I just expect them to be not interesting, and I don't care. I don't expect him to entertain me. It's also oddly refreshing to see him not be on Twitter. Not that he would get in trouble on social media (see: Leach), but I'm just glad there isn't that possibility.

I rarely watch post-game stuff unless something weird or crazy happened. Wilcox really does fit in at Cal. Low key, serious, kind of intense not a talker/promoter...gets his stuff done without complaint and let the results speak. Heck, that could describe a number of young faculty members and I think that's the over all UC model. Tedford had some of that too.
OdontoBear66
LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

He might not be what we want from a head coach, but he sure as hell can run a defense still.

The uptick in ticket sales (for the first time in over a decade) and a bowl in his second season sure mean a lot to the program, it seems.
Lunch Time, he still has the training wheels on as a head coach, but he is administering well. Seems like most all posters are very happy giving an extension right now. Not bad for two years. The O will come around, just not as quickly as the D. I wonder if this gives us a leg up on Daniels, seeing the long term contract.
LunchTime
OdontoBear66 said:

LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

Lunch Time, he still has the training wheels on as a head coach, but he is administering well. Seems like most all posters are very happy giving an extension right now. Not bad for two years. The O will come around, just not as quickly as the D. I wonder if this gives us a leg up on Daniels, seeing the long term contract.
I like Wilcox. Plenty of people on this board have strange obsessions with me for being a "Nazi" about being positive about him.
LunchTime
fatmoon said:

I think you all are crazy. It's too early to give him an extension. This is a dumb move by Cal. This reminded me of the extension Tedford got. If Beau remain as the OC next season, JW will be a bust.

The extension is a safety move for us. If he was snatched up by another program after next season, Cal only gets paid $250k. Now we probably get $5m

The cost of firing him probably isnt much higher, since his previous contract was weighted towards the last years. Cal doesnt lose much.

In other words, we dont lose much on the down side, and we gain a lot of protection on the up side.

He was absurdly underpaid as a HC because he was a new coach with no experience. Now he is paid as a mid-tier Pac12 coach. Just like a 6-8 win coach should be.

So, we gain if he doesnt bust. We dont lose much more if he does bust. We keep his pay in line with his known value. We give him more to work with to get better assistants. Win win win win.
510 Bear
This is exactly what I hoped would happen. Maybe all these comments I keep hearing from all the furdies, bruins and trojans I know, about how Cal isn't serious about competing and how most of the P12 views us as a sad object of pity, might be headed for the dumpster.

Hats off to Knowlton for knowing what's up and giving JW a big-time vote of confidence he has certainly earned.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.