Story Poster
Cal Football

QB Devon Modster Bounces Back With Commitment to Cal

December 14, 2018

A consensus 4 star prep recruit, Modster started his career impressively at UCLA as a freshman, completing 51-of-79 passes (65%) for 671 yards and 4 td's along with a strong 152.6 passer rating before opting to transfer out of UCLA.

One of the new Bears’ victories came against Cal in 2017, preventing the Bears from going to a bowl game last season, falling one win short.

“I’m extremely excited to get another chance to play the game I love!,” said Modster this afternoon.  “Cal is a great program with some really good coaches and I believe they are developing a championship program and I am excited to be a part of it!”

The 6-2/225 Modster was the 7th rated dual threat quarterback in the 2016 class and fielded an offer from Cal and a host of other programs before choosing the Bruins.

Modster enrolled in Palomar College in the fall this year and obtained his AA, making him eligible to sign in December, enroll for spring semester and participate in spring practice with the Bears.

Modster announced his commitment to Cal by saying: “The past few months was a real humbling experience. I want to thank all the coaches who recruited me. With that being said, I will be committing to the University of California, Berkeley! Thank you Coach Wilcox for the opportunity. Go Bears!

\

Discussion from...

QB Devon Modster Bounces Back With Commitment to Cal

32,509 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Australian Bear
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A 152.6 completion percentage is unheard of!
bluehenbear
Even when he hands off the ball to RBs he completes a pass.
AlphaBear
Anybody know his stats at the JC?
GMP
AlphaBear said:

0/0 0 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT.

Looks like he didn't play. I'm guessing he decided to focus on studies to get his AA so he could transfer this Spring?

https://palomar.prestosports.com/sports/fball/2018-19/teams/palomar?view=lineup&r=0&pos=off
UrsusTexicanus
GMP said:

AlphaBear said:

Looks like he didn't play. I'm guessing he decided to focus on studies to get his AA so he could transfer this Spring?

https://palomar.prestosports.com/sports/fball/2018-19/teams/palomar?view=lineup&r=0&pos=off
No turnovers!
FloriDreaming
Looks like a good get. Bears desperately need talent.

I'm certain Baldwin and Tui will turn him into finely-tuned fumble and interception machine in no time.

go bland
Rushinbear
GMP said:

AlphaBear said:

Didn't he hurt his shoulder at UCLA?
BearBones
GMP said:

Maybe that was his QB rating.
UrsusTexicanus
BearBones said:

GMP said:

Maybe that was his QB rating.
It is.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4035823/devon-modster
KoreAmBear
GMP said:

And he only gives 110%.
GoBears89
Sound like a good get! Will definitely put pressure on Garbers to take the next step!

Now all we need are some receivers for these guys.....
hanky1
Good get. Hanky1 is excited.
75bear
Spring Practice just got a little more interesting.
TandemBear
KoreAmBear said:

GMP said:

And he only gives 110%.
Because football is 90% mental and the other half is physical.
HungryCalBear
This is better news than landing a 4 star QB out of high school. Now we need some WRs. Several WRs.
Cal8285
GMP said:

Keep in mind, at USC, a 152.6 completion percentage over a full season would get you a Heisman Trophy. At Cal, a 152.6 completion percentage over a full season would get the school on probation for cheating.
Sebastabear
Terrific get. He looked very good in that game he played against us (unfortunately). Welcome Mr. Modster.
NYCGOBEARS
hanky1 said:

Good get. Hanky1 is excited.

Hide the children.
Bear04
How many years does he have to play? Can he play next season?

The reason I ask is because I googled him, and one site said that he played in one game for UCLA this year.
WoodlandBear
Why wait until Spring, can he play in the bowl game?
Big Dog
Quote:

Stanford grade inflation,
ducky23
Soldierbear said:

The reason I ask is because I googled him, and one site said that he played in one game for UCLA this year.

He's good to go for next year.

As I understand it, he played before ucla's quarter system started
upsetof86
I can guess already who gets the nod out of spring/fall next year if BB is still our OC lol.
KenBurnski
Yogi58
Sebastabear said:

Terrific get. He looked very good in that game he played against us (unfortunately). Welcome Mr. Modster.
FWIW, that's the only game he won. But good to have him. We needed an experienced option.
Yogi58
Soldierbear said:

2 and yes. He went to a JC this year.
Econ141
I want to be happy but isn't he received tutelage from Tui and got passed over by a true freshman and a grad transfer.

More than anything, I just have no confidence in our QB coach. I think we are putting too much blame on Beau and not enough on Tui.

Hope modstee works out and wish him all the best a seems like a great kid.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
72CalBear
I am sure we all remember the Ucla game when Rosen went out in the first half. Oh good! Not so fast. Modster came in and lit us up and essentially won the game for the Bruins. Since he went to JC, it wasn't a transfer from the Bruins so they didn't have to approve his transfer to Cal??
KoreAmBear
Anyone have some highlights of Modster in his game against us?
HungryCalBear
KoreAmBear said:

Anyone have some highlights of Modster in his game against us?
Here's the whole game:
TouchedTheAxeIn82
I just watched the 2nd half of last year's UCLA game.

Modster played the 2nd half and inherited an 8-pt lead. But Cal outscored UCLA 18 - 13 in the 2nd half, so I wouldn't say that Modster beat Cal. He looked decent, but it's hard to predict how good he can be.

Laird looked more explosive in this game than at any time this year. He ran for 178 yds!

Bowers looked better in this game than any Cal QB performance we saw this year.

If we just had last year's offense this year, it would have been a great year.
Millbear
Love his tape on this game. really good release, fluid athlete
NYCGOBEARS
Let's remember that he's 20 years old. He has a ton of upside.
calumnus
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

I just watched the 2nd half of last year's UCLA game.

Modster played the 2nd half and inherited an 8-pt lead. But Cal outscored UCLA 18 - 13 in the 2nd half, so I wouldn't say that Modster beat Cal. He looked decent, but it's hard to predict how good he can be.

Laird looked more explosive in this game than at any time this year. He ran for 178 yds!

Bowers looked better in this game than any Cal QB performance we saw this year.

If we just had last year's offense this year, it would have been a great year.

Yes, all the above is true and we still had the #11 offense in the PAC-12 last year. This year was a long drop to #12 and among the very worst in the country.
OdontoBear66
Went to Tesoro High School in South Orange and while there gave dominant Mission Viejo fits each year. The closest Tesoro has come to challenging MV in public school FB in the OC....Good QB. Good size....So far good measurables....Like Garber and his future, but if he challenges CG for the start it but benefits Cal.....Maybe if I were CG or his family I would not like the move, but so be it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.