The new Furd

10,752 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by packawana
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kaden Smith declares early joining Herbieg. Rumor is Costello and A-W also declaring for the draft early. They are rebuilding next year as they lose a lot of starters, even without the early NFL entrants.
HoopDreams
wifeisafurd said:

Kaden Smith declares early joining Herbieg. Rumor is Costello and A-W also declaring for the draft early. They are rebuilding next year as they lose a lot of starters, even without the early NFL entrants.
Who is kaden and a-w?
UrsaMajor
HoopDreams said:

wifeisafurd said:

Who is kaden and a-w?
A-W is Arcega-Whiteside, they're top receiver. Kaden Smith is a TE.

A-W is listed as a senior. Did he still have eligibility left?
Another Bear
There were murmurs Shaw was getting NFL interviews given all the vacancies. They don't seem real but I think Shaw leaves at a certain point, like when his kids get older?
Peanut Gallery Consultant
HoopDreams
UrsaMajor said:

HoopDreams said:

wifeisafurd said:

Who is kaden and a-w?

aw, thx.
I remember him. he was the one who caught the long pass, which basically won them the game.
Big C
A-W talked after the game about it being his last game. He's gone and I'm glad, because he was a TD machine in college. As good a go-up-and-get-that-ball guy as I've seen.

I'd be surprised if Costello went. Pleasantly surprised, though. He must have a high opinion of himself.

Furd is gradually coming back to earth. Got to hand it to Sanctimonious Shaw: He had a good run. Longer than I expected.
ducky23
wifeisafurd said:

If they lose all those guys (along with Love - finally) they are going to be very beatable. I believe they lose a lot on the defensive side as well.

Amazing Costello thinking about leaving and Herbert is staying. To be fair though, I think Costello is being underrated by the draftniks and Herbert may be a bit overrated
BearGoggles
ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

If they lose all those guys (along with Love - finally) they are going to be very beatable. I believe they lose a lot on the defensive side as well.

Amazing Costello thinking about leaving and Herbert is staying. To be fair though, I think Costello is being underrated by the draftniks and Herbert may be a bit overrated
Maybe Costello is thinking that with his top TE and WRs graduating, next year will be harder for him. Not to mention playing in Shaw's offense is pretty limiting and this is a weaker draft year for qbs.
75bear
Stanford has a Top 20 recruiting class incoming, so I'd say their future isn't that bad.
BearSD
Another Bear said:

There were murmurs Shaw was getting NFL interviews given all the vacancies.

You'd think that Mr. Ed would interview his fellow furdie Shaw, but apparently not.
Bear19
BearSD said:

Another Bear said:

You'd think that Mr. Ed would interview his fellow furdie Shaw, but apparently not.
Mr. Ed!? The talking horse, of course!

Another Bear
BearSD said:

Another Bear said:

Ya think that would happen but Mr. Ed is busy chomping oats and screwing up the Bronco. He lucked out with Peyton Manning as a rental and won a SB but otherwise, Hoover level incompetence. How many bad QB picks since then? Got rid of CJ Anderson? He's also going to run through a bunch more HC because the Bronco ownership is letting Mr. Ed run the show, and those guys are scapegoats once they sign. Yeah baby, legend!
dajo9
Costello works at Stanford but he's no NFL player. I hope it's not like when Darren Thomas left Oregon early because Marcus Mariota was coming up.
American Vermin
Fyght4Cal
There's no way I would ever work for Mr Ed. He just fired a first-year coach after not giving him a QB.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
wifeisafurd
UrsaMajor said:

HoopDreams said:

wifeisafurd said:

Who is kaden and a-w?

yes, A-W was asked in the post game TV interview if he was going pro and he demurred - which was funny since he just had said it was his last game as a Cardinal.
71Bear
Fyght4Cal said:

There's no way I would ever work for Mr Ed. He just fired a first-year coach after not giving him a QB.
Second year...
wifeisafurd
Big C said:

A-W talked after the game about it being his last game. He's gone and I'm glad, because he was a TD machine in college. As good a go-up-and-get-that-ball guy as I've seen.

I'd be surprised if Costello went. Pleasantly surprised, though. He must have a high opinion of himself.

Furd is gradually coming back to earth. Got to hand it to Sanctimonious Shaw: He had a good run. Longer than I expected.
In game coverage, one of the announcers mentioned that Costello said he had important decisions to make after the game, and that Costello could be leaving. I assumed that meat the NFL, but I suppose he could be a grad transfer.. Costello threatened to transfer a while back unless Shaw threw more, so I'm assuming there is some friction there already.
philbert
Another Bear said:

BearSD said:

Another Bear said:

Ya think that would happen but Mr. Ed is busy chomping oats and screwing up the Bronco. He lucked out with Peyton Manning as a rental and won a SB but otherwise, Hoover level incompetence. How many bad QB picks since then? Got rid of CJ Anderson? He's also going to run through a bunch more HC because the Bronco ownership is letting Mr. Ed run the show, and those guys are scapegoats once they sign. Yeah baby, legend!
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813262-broncos-need-a-reality-check-because-john-elway-is-the-problem-not-the-solution?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial
BearGoggles
Fyght4Cal said:

Kenum isn't an awful qb. He was fine for the Vikings last year. But the personnel around him was poor, including losing their top two wrs (one injured, one traded).
tim94501
Costello is kind of a bum though.
BearGoggles
Surprised people are down on Costello. I thinks he's a pretty good qb who could be a decent pro. Remember he plays in Shaw's offense. Shaw was the only guy whose scheme could make Andrew Luck look average. Wouldn't blame him at all for looking at other options - pro or college.

Come to think of it, maybe he can pull a reverse Brennan Scarlett? (mostly kidding)
Fyght4Cal
I keep trying to figure out the tenor of the Shaw hate on this board. "He's not a good coach", even though he keeps 'Furd in the hunt for North championship and has a stranglehold on the Axe.

I hate him because he coaches Stanfurd. Just like I hate every 'Furd coach. But I'm under no illusion about his coaching prowess.
calumnus
Fyght4Cal said:

I keep trying to figure out the tenor of the Shaw hate on this board. "He's not a good coach", even though he keeps 'Furd in the hunt for North championship and has a stranglehold on the Axe.

I hate him because he coaches Stanfurd. Just like I hate every 'Furd coach. But I'm under no illusion about his coaching prowess.

He was a very creative OC when Stanford had limited talent but has followed the Tedford arc from overachieving to under achieving as recruiting improved and play calling became more predictable and conservative.
Fyght4Cal
calumnus said:

Fyght4Cal said:

He was a very creative OC when Stanford had limited talent but has followed the Tedford arc from overachieving to under achieving as recruiting improved and play calling became more predictable and conservative.
Oddly, if Wilcox underachieved to that degree, most people here would call it success.
NVBear78
calumnus said:

Fyght4Cal said:

If you look at Stanfurd personnel closely they have four star players at virtually every position on the field and four star back ups. Their recent results are not really commensurate with the level of talent.
Fyght4Cal
NVBear78 said:

calumnus said:

Fyght4Cal said:

If you look at Stanfurd personnel closely they have four star players at virtually every position on the field and four star back ups. Their recent results are not really commensurate with the level of talent.
Good. So, we want him to stay, yes?
bencgilmore
Another Bear said:

There were murmurs Shaw was getting NFL interviews given all the vacancies. They don't seem real but I think Shaw leaves at a certain point, like when his kids get older?
I know the NFL is worried that many of the coaches who faceplanted and were/are likely to be fired this year were of color and that it'll look bad when they're all fired. Maybe its time. It couldn't hurt but the stanford program is in a place where Tesla's autopilot could keep it relevant for a few years, so I wouldn't get my hopes too far up if he leaves.
bencgilmore
Also it would be another terrifying landing spot for Tedford. I'm going to think that every time UW, Oregon, or the California Pac12 coaching spots open up, but particularly now. Very glad USC didn't make that move.
510 Bear
SadbutTrue999 said:

Also it would be another terrifying landing spot for Tedford. I'm going to think that every time UW, Oregon, or the California Pac12 coaching spots open up, but particularly now. Very glad USC didn't make that move.
Someone said in another thread that Cal moving down to the MWC would kill fan interest in Cal football. I would think Tedford getting hired by furd and then continuing their success against us would be a close second. At that point, you'd have to wonder if the program is cursed.
wifeisafurd
510 Bear said:

SadbutTrue999 said:

At that point, you'd have to wonder if the program is cursed.
Cal still remembers '06 loss at Arizona https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2008/10/17/cal-still-remembers-06-loss-at-arizona/ via @eastbaytimes
bluehenbear
SadbutTrue999 said:

Seeing Tedford in furd red would be nightmare fuel. Teamed up with Ron Gould. Gah!
Golden One
Big C said:

I'd be surprised if Costello went. Pleasantly surprised, though. He must have a high opinion of Himself.
Don't all Furds?
RJABear
bluehenbear said:

SadbutTrue999 said:

Seeing Tedford in furd red would be nightmare fuel. Teamed up with Ron Gould. Gah!
It would be like Stanford 'fans' seeing Mike Montgomery coaching Cal's basketball team.
Another Bear
Y'all can see Teddy in Fresno red...but that's not the same a Furd red. In any case, I can't see Tedford at Stanfurd. Also I suspect Furd has too much pride to go there.
BearGoggles
Fyght4Cal said:

NVBear78 said:

calumnus said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Good. So, we want him to stay, yes?
I suppose that depends on who they replace him with. MANY Furd fans feel Shaw has caused them to underachieve and lose games they should not have (and narrowly win games that were closer than they should have been). He has made many odd personnel decisions (particularly at qb) and is overly conservative in his approach. There is no question they have underachieved during his tenure. The fact that they have been better than Cal during that period isn't the metric. Cal has lost lots of games to bad coaches, unfortunately.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.