Good-Bye Tosh?

8,772 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BearlyCareAnymore
hotlanta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saban might clean house. If Tosh goes, hopefully the California pipeline to Alabama will go with it.
Yogi58
hotlanta said:

Saban might clean house. If Tosh goes, hopefully the California pipeline to Alabama will go with it.
Yeah, I wouldn't get your hopes up
71Bear
Yogi Bear said:

hotlanta said:

I agree. Bama just got beaten by a team that was on a mission. Saban will get a chance to turn the tables in the title game next year when they play again.
DWM81
Tosh may be demoted from Co-DC but he will be on the ALA Staff next year. Saban need his elite recruiting skills. Tosh will likely never return to Cal...
UCBerkGrad
F Tosh
tim94501
They gave up 14 ppg this year. They got blasted by the best college football team of the past decade. Get real.
joe amos yaks
Is it bad that 'Bama got hammered on both sides of the ball and was beat by two frosh (QB and WR) . . . one a native son (WR Ross) who got away. That was good.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
chazzed
DWM81 said:

Tosh will likely never return to Cal...

From your keyboard to God's ears.
Bear8
I was a bit shocked this morning on the ESPN show "Get Up," hosted by Mike Greenberg. Mike was interviewing Paul Finebaum on the game. If you don't know, Finebaum is the sports broadcaster/journalist closest to the Bama football program and something of a rooter for Sabin. Quoting Finebaum as close as I can: "Tosh Lupoi is the worst defensive coordinator that Saban has ever had." He then cited several previous DCs such as Jeremy Pruitt, Kirby Smart and Dabo Swinney.

Us Cal fans knew that Tosh was probably above his pay grade as DC, but to hear it from a knowledgeable insider such as Finebaum was something of a shock. It should also quiet those on this Board who want to bring him back and reward Lupoi with the DC job.
hotlanta
They also have future pros at each position.
GMP
Bear8 said:

I was a bit shocked this morning on the ESPN show "Get Up," hosted by Mike Greenberg. Mike was interviewing Paul Finebaum on the game. If you don't know, Finebaum is the sports broadcaster/journalist closest to the Bama football program and something of a rooter for Sabin. Quoting Finebaum as close as I can: "Tosh Lupoi is the worst defensive coordinator that Saban has ever had." He then cited several previous DCs such as Jeremy Pruitt, Kirby Smart and Dabo Swinney.

Us Cal fans knew that Tosh was probably above his pay grade as DC, but to hear it from a knowledgeable insider such as Finebaum was something of a shock. It should also quiet those on this Board who want to bring him back and reward Lupoi with the DC job.
He may very well be correct. And he may have heard it from someone qualified to tell him as much. But I don't know that Finebaum knows Xs and Os in order to be qualified to make this assessment.
82gradDLSdad
GMP said:

Bear8 said:

He may very well be correct. And he may have heard it from someone qualified to tell him as much. But I don't know that Finebaum knows Xs and Os in order to be qualified to make this assessment.

A college coach has to be judged on BOTH his ability to recruit and coach. Tosh can certainly recruit, possibly better than anyone in college football. Maybe he is a 'minus' coach but in total he's pretty good. And Alabama did beat every team it played minus 1. I'd take him.
LunchTime
Bear8 said:

Worst Saban has had isnt really a great knock. I mean, the poorest billionaire is still a billionaire.

Dabo wasnt DC. Either you are mistaken, I am, or Finebaum is.

LunchTime
82gradDLSdad said:

GMP said:

Bear8 said:

A college coach has to be judged on BOTH his ability to recruit and coach. Tosh can certainly recruit, possibly better than anyone in college football. Maybe he is a 'minus' coach but in total he's pretty good. And Alabama did beat every team it played minus 1. I'd take him.
14 games isnt good enough for Cal.
71Bear
LunchTime said:

Bear8 said:

Worst Saban has had isnt really a great knock. I mean, the poorest billionaire is still a billionaire.

Dabo was an assistant at Bama not a coordinator.
LunchTime
71Bear said:

LunchTime said:

Bear8 said:

Dabo was an assistant at Bama not a coordinator.
WR
Cal88
hotlanta said:

Yet they've managed to lose by nearly 40 pts with a bunch of first rounders... This shows how weak Tosh is as a gameday, X&Os DC. His recruiting has been so stellar that he's leveraged himself into the DC gig, and put himself in a position where he's neutralized all that talent he's recruited, which I think is hilarious. In prior years he couldn't do that kind of damage as merely a position coach.

The problem with Tosh is not just that he's a poor coach, but that he is also a crooked and toxic figure. This facet almost single-handedly destabilized Tedford's program. That's why it's not worth taking a chance on him.

Lupoi's relationship with Saban and staff (and with their demanding fan base) is going to be a lot rockier now that his weakness is exposed. I think he'll be moving on in a year or two.
flounder
this board's obsession with tosh lupoi
Cal89
Tosh as a DC, with that much talent at his disposal, not an impressive showing.

The Alabama run D was pretty stingy I suppose at just 135 total yards on the ground for Clemson, but 4.4 per carry is not exactly good. They didn't need to run all that much though with 347 yards in the air. 8.2 yards per attempted pass. We all realize Clemson has one of the best offenses, but several of their opponents contained them better than Alabama, and not just Notre Dame...
MSaviolives
Tosh blew it by not relying on his go-to defensive stopper: instruct his players to fake injuries/leg cramps...
FloriDreaming
DWM81 said:

Tosh may be demoted from Co-DC but he will be on the ALA Staff next year. Saban need his elite recruiting skills. Tosh will likely never return to Cal...
Tosh will likely never return to Cal and certainly not while Wilcox is HC (Dykes wanted Tosh, Wilcox put the kabosh on that - no way a good friend of JT hires his nemesis)

Saban and Bama don't need Tosh's help to recruit. That doesn't mean Saban will fire him over one loss, but regardless he isn't coming to Cal. And whether he's in Bama or not, they're going to get the top players. They did fine recruiting before Tosh and will recruit well when Tosh is gone, too.
Vegas Bear
Uthaithani said:

DWM81 said:

Tosh will likely never return to Cal and certainly not while Wilcox is HC (Dykes wanted Tosh, Wilcox put the kabosh on that - no way a good friend of JT hires his nemesis)

Saban and Bama don't need Tosh's help to recruit. That doesn't mean Saban will fire him over one loss, but regardless he isn't coming to Cal. And whether he's in Bama or not, they're going to get the top players. They did fine recruiting before Tosh and will recruit well when Tosh is gone, too.
Alabama never really recruited the West Coast until Tosh showed up. Since then, they have taken some of the west's best players to the south and the program has taken its success to another level.
socaliganbear
Uthaithani said:

DWM81 said:

Lol Wilcox tried to hire Tosh.
ColoradoBear
socaliganbear said:

Uthaithani said:

DWM81 said:

Lol Wilcox tried to hire Tosh.
double lol, wilcox didn't just try to get tosh at Cal last year, he actually did hire him at UW.
Bear_Territory
Cal can't afford Tosh
BearSD
82gradDLSdad said:

GMP said:

Bear8 said:

Yeah, at that very highest level, recruiting the future NFL players is more important than coaching them. Not going to beat Clemson (or Bama) in a playoff by coaching up a roster of nothing but 3-star players.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

Yogi Bear said:

hotlanta said:

I agree. Bama just got beaten by a team that was on a mission. Saban will get a chance to turn the tables in the title game next year when they play again.
Yeah, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Clemson is freaking loaded. But if anyone could do it, Saban can.

I love that everyone thinks Saban is going to clean house because he lost a national championship game.
Bear19
Here is the comment Saban made about the failed fake field goal. Note that he's unafraid to throw his players under the bus, unlike Wilcox:

"I think it was a poor decision on my part not to kick the field goal the first drive of the second half. We thought we had a really, really good fake, and somebody didn't block the guy they were supposed to block, so it didn't work, so it was a bad call. It's always that way."
wifeisafurd
Cal89 said:

We all realize Clemson has one of the best offenses, but several of their opponents contained them better than Alabama, and not just Notre Dame....

Versus Notre Dame

523 yards, 30 points scored, Lawrence pulled for most of 4th quarter

Versus Alabama

482 yards, 37 points scored. Lawrence pulled in last set of downs

That really doesn't look like better containment.

I'm not sure what schedule comparisons get you. Cal held WSU to 19 points. Does that mean Colorado, Arizona and UCLA had the better offenses? Too many variables to consider. If you subtract the score for the extra game, Alabama's defense was the 3rd best defense for Bama over the last 5 years in terms of points yielded. Not badwhen you consider how Alabama has played the last 5 years.
socaliganbear
I'm gonna be a Fake News Clemson homer and just say... no way they tried their best till Bama.
Cal89
wifeisafurd said:

Cal89 said:

We all realize Clemson has one of the best offenses, but several of their opponents contained them better than Alabama, and not just Notre Dame....

Versus Notre Dame

523 yards, 30 points scored, Lawrence pulled for most of 4th quarter

Versus Alabama

482 yards, 37 points scored. Lawrence pulled in last set of downs

That really doesn't look like better containment.

I'm not sure what schedule comparisons get you. Cal held WSU to 19 points. Does that mean Colorado, Arizona and UCLA had the better offenses? Too many variables to consider. If you subtract the score for the extra game, Alabama's defense was the 3rd best defense for Bama over the last 5 years in terms of points yielded. Not badwhen you consider how Alabama has played the last 5 years.

I believe it was passing yards and yards per attempt that I was looking at with respect to ND. More noteworthy were the likes of Ga Tech and Syracuse Ds, with their rosters of top 40 and top 60 classes respectively. Those Ds with much less recruited talent did better than Alabama's against Clemson. The upside of good coaching... and our D is very much in that discussion (over-delivering). Texas A&M's D's also did relatively better.

Alabama's D was not a suffocating one in 2018. Not even top 20 in yards/play allowed (we were top 10). In 2017, Alabama's D was number 1, by far, at less than 4 yards per play! Scoring D, also number 1 in 2017. Nearly a TD worse this year...

The early returns on Tosh as a DC are not very compelling.

tim94501
Bear8 said:

The 3 other guys you are the head coach at Tennessee the head coach at Georgia and the guy that just OWNED Saban. No **** they are better than tosh lol
tim94501
hotlanta said:

That tosh landed lol
wifeisafurd
tim94501 said:

Bear8 said:

The 3 other guys you are the head coach at Tennessee the head coach at Georgia and the guy that just OWNED Saban. No **** they are better than tosh lol
The other guys also had a lot of experience walking into the job that Tosh doesn't. I suspect Saban knows what he is doing, and he keeps Lupoi around until Tosh's turn to get a big time head coach job. See the article below.

Why Tosh Lupoi is unlike previous Saban defensive coordinators http://s.al.com/eNNkKDN

I'm no fan of Tosh, but the guy is smart enough to learn on the job.
71Bear
tim94501 said:

Bear8 said:

I think you meant the guy that is 2-2 v. Saban over the last four years....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.