Blueblood's 2019 Cal predictions

6,456 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 72CalBear
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?

"I hope LunchTime can digest this!"

My football predictions are premised upon essentially a status quo Cal, i.e. same QB, same OC, etc., for next season. But, hey don't worry (I know the Premium members will be relieved), I will update these forecasts to reflect any ensuing developments that might be seen to impact any outcome listed below, hopefully in Cal's favor!

PROJECTED 2019 CAL FOOTBALL SCHEDULE OUTCOMES

UC Davis - Oh hum, Cal's traditional early sacrifice to the football gods; this is a Cal WIN which will surely nurture false hope once again among the Bear fans.

@ Washington - Petersen should be able to develop another good defensive unit given the Huskies' recent stellar recruiting. This plus the Huskies 6'-6" ***** QB Eason, a transfer from Georgia, should make the loss of Browning hardly noticeable, so UDub will undoubtedly be nationally ranked in the preseason. This will be a Cal LOSS, especially considering Udub will also have extreme partisan home field advantage.

North Texas
-The Mean Green got murdered by nationally ranked Utah State in their recent bowl game. In 2016 NT hired a new head coach, Seth Littrell, after finishing 1-11 in 2015; Littrell, who served as an assistant coach under Leach at Texas Tech and Fedora at UNC, has improved NT's record every year thereafter to 5-8, 9-5, and 9-4, but even so, Cal has home field advantage, a good pass defense, and has more overall depth foretelling a second Bear WIN.

@Ole Miss- With no more bowl ban and with hiring ex-P12 head coaches Arizona Rich Rodriguez as OC and Colorado Mike MacIntyre as DC, Ole Miss will be a different team than the undisciplined (5-7) 2018 one; thus this game is another tossup leaning towards another Cal road LOSS because of home field disadvantage and because the Rebels should definitely be prepared for whatever Cal brings as their OC and DC have faced the Bears before at their respective schools.

Arizona State -
ASU desperately needs to find a starting QB. The odds are that Sun Devils will find one; they have 6 QB candidates on their current roster and have 3 more QB recruits coming in this fall. If ASU does find that QB, he will have a lot of help from All-American TB Eno Benjamin, who set a school-record 1,652 yards rushing (fourth most in the country) and with the return of five offensive linemen who started games last season. This tossup game is leaning towards a Cal LOSS.

@Oregon- This looks like Cal's third road LOSS given Oregon's several years of outstanding **** recruiting, their head coach staying, and knowing that Herbert is returning at QB. The Ducks will most likely be nationally ranked in the AP Top 25 when Cal meets them in the infamous Autzen Stadium.

Oregon State -
The perennial bottom-dweller Beavers just don't have the talent, so home field advantage and game go to the Bears for a much-needed (third or, if really lucky, fourth) WIN.

@Utah - Don't let the Utes' Holiday Bowl loss fool you; Utah will be a formidable offensive and defensive opponent for our Bears. Whittingham was playing a red-shirt freshman because not only was their starting QB Huntley injured but also their starting TB Moss and leading WR Covey too. All three will be returning so if they can stay healthy Cal will be in trouble. With home field advantage to Utah, this game looks like it could be Cal's fourth road LOSS.

Washington State -
It's no secret that WSU is going to throw the ball a lot because in his 17 seasons as an FBS head coach Leach hasn't had a team throw for less than 3,500 yards. Leach will have 7 QB candidates from which to select a replacement for Mr. Mustache (6-4 **** Cammon Cooper may be the heir-apparent or EW transfer Gubrud?). Be aware also, unlike Cal's Sonny, Leach hasn't neglected his defense in that since 2014 where the Cougs allowed 38.6 points per game that number has quietly improved to 27.7 in 2015, 26.4 in 2016, 25.8 in 2017 and 23.1 in 2018; ergo, Cal LOSS.

u$C -
USC has decided to keep Clay Helton as head coach, but Helton is still on the hot seat, thus he had to wiped his staff clean. The biggest addition to his coaching staff will be the OC. U$C has the money to hire a first-rate OC that should inject some serious life into an offense that is full of talent lead by ***** QB JT Daniels and a slew of highly rated wide receivers; as a result, Cal will be facing a nationally ranked team which will vengefully enjoy oinking Cal for a LOSS.

@dirty stanfurd - The Big Game may depend upon whether Costello goes pro or not. Even if he does, the furds may have a more than adequate QB replacement, like 6-4 ***** Mills? Cal's defense held the furds to only 92 yds. rushing this year so the Bears should be able to handle the furd's running game again. I look at this game as Cal's last chance, especially if a post-season bowl game is at stake. So I'm going with an upset WIN for Cal to bring the Axe back to Berkeley!

@ucla -
This could be the ultimate revenge game for **** QB transfer Modster; but, for now, this game's outcome looks like it's wavering on whether Kelly can get Alabama's grad-transfer star QB Jalen Hurts to Bruinville or on whether Modster will be able to magically transformed Cal into a winner. Otherwise, it's a more-of-the-same between soph QBs Garbers and Thompson-Robinson. Smoggy home field advantage goes to ucla, but Cal has the better defense, so this is a Cal WIN with the understanding that Brandon plays at a position other than QB!

I realize that the above predicts Cal to have a 5-7 season and no post-season bowl appearance, but if Modster or Garbers gels, Cal could bring in additional victories against Ole Miss and/or Arizona State for a flip-flop 7-5 season!
heartofthebear
I think with Modster and some new skill guys, we can beat WSU at Memorial. We did it last year. I don't see how 2019 will be much different. However, I think we only win one of the 3 games against our in state rivals. The ASU game hangs in the balance. Otherwise I agree.
Also, I don't think we beat Furd.
Sebastabear
Yikes BB. If I want to be depressed I can just read the newspaper. If we go 5-7 in year three of JW's tenure I may off myself. Hoping for some much better results than these.
wifeisafurd
Sebastabear said:

Yikes BB. If I want to be depressed I can just read the newspaper. If we go 5-7 in year three of JW's tenure I may off myself. Hoping for some much better results than these.
The defense was so good, it probably can't get much better, special teams was playing at a fairly high level buy the season end, which means any uptick against a tougher schedule is due to a substantial improvement in the offense. How confident do you feel about that presently?
OdontoBear66
wifeisafurd said:

Sebastabear said:

The defense was so good, it probably can't get much better, special teams was playing at a fairly high level buy the season end, which means any uptick against a tougher schedule is due to a substantial improvement in the offense. How confident do you feel about that presently?
Ah, but the offense, most obviously, has scads of room to improve. How much? Who stays in the OStaff? You tell me.
tigertim
wifeisafurd said:

Sebastabear said:

Considering our offense literally cannot be worse - it was 120th in the country - and we were playing a first year QB with multiple WRs gone with injury/transfer, it'd be pretty shocking if we didn't see at least some improvement. Think we can get ourselves to like, 80th, with Modster.

Dunno how that'll shape up in terms of Ws and Ls though.
AunBear89
bluedud said: bark bark bark barkity bark bark

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
71Bear
tigertim said:

wifeisafurd said:

Sebastabear said:

Considering our offense literally cannot be worse - it was 120th in the country - and we were playing a first year QB with multiple WRs gone with injury/transfer, it'd be pretty shocking if we didn't see at least some improvement. Think we can get ourselves to like, 80th, with Modster.

Dunno how that'll shape up in terms of Ws and Ls though.
Actually, it can get worse. There are 130 schools that play at the FBS level.
Blueblood
AunBear89 said:

Uhh, aUNbear89 your jealously is showing once again! AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA
TheSouseFamily
AunBear89 said:

Is that supposed to be Walnuts? Oh snap!!
AunBear89
Blueblood said:

AunBear89 said:

Uhh, aUNbear89 your jealously is showing once again! AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA
..says the loser with over 11,000 posts. Riiiight, you're not trying to impress anyone, are you?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
AunBear89
TheSouseFamily said:

AunBear89 said:

Sure - it could be Walnuts. OR, maybe it's ol' blue hisself. Our annoying little dog that barks and snaps at strangers and craps all over our internet yard...

Blueblood
AunBear89 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

AunBear89 said:

Sure - it could be Walnuts. OR, maybe it's ol' blue hisself. Our annoying little dog that barks and snaps at strangers and craps all over our internet yard...

...Sigh....arfff......only ugly people pick on my friends....
oh....arf...arf....nice thread theft aUNbear89......woof!
KenBurnski
Blueblood said:

AunBear89 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

AunBear89 said:

...Sigh....arfff......only ugly people pick on my friends....
oh....arf...arf....nice thread theft aUNbear89......woof!

I like that he speaks both dog and English in the same sentence.
calbear80
I would like to be more optimistic, but, unfortunately, 5-7 sounds about right to me.

Go Bears!
Bear8
Actually, the difference in won/loss is based on playing in opponent's stadiums. We are still the same team either way and so is the opposition. Can a crowd determine wins and losses? A more serious threat to a record is the presence or absence of injury. We played the Huskies without them having Miles Gaskin. He is a player who makes a difference. SC was missing both offense and defensive players. We should have taken care of the Furd without a healthy Love, but Shaw is very smart and has a talented bunch to coach, particularly at tight end.

In terms of injury, we were missing Cam Goode for most of the season, but it hardly mattered since we have depth at his position and some stars elsewhere on the defense. We missed having a healthy Noa and Duncan at the time when we also had depleted offensive talent. These two receivers might have had a critical effect on the result at least in the Stanford game.

As for 2019, I believe we can defeat Ole Miss. After all, RichRod and McIntyre aren't on the team and neither is a great defensive coach. RichRod has missed at two major universities; McIntyre's claim to fame was having a heavily senior laden team in 2017 (?) that brought some praise, but quickly dissolved in the following season upon their graduation. These guys were released by their schools for a reason.

I also believe we have a shot at beating SC once again. Daniels may be more of threat as a soph, but without getting Kingsbury they are roughly the same squad.

It's very early. Let's see what Wilcox does to enhance the offense and its coaching. We are looking at the schedule as a one-sided event. These other teams also have to deal with us. Don't assume they have no holes to fill and don't suffer critical injuries. How many of you assumed we'd hold Washington to a single touchdown last year?

Yogi58
Bear8 said:

As for 2019, I believe we can defeat Ole Miss. After all, RichRod and McIntyre aren't on the team and neither is a great defensive coach.
MacIntyre is a good defensive coordinator.
Blueblood
Actually, the difference in won/loss is based on playing in opponent's stadiums. We are still the same team either way and so is the opposition. Can a crowd determine wins and losses? A more serious threat to a record is the presence or absence of injury. We played the Huskies without them having Miles Gaskin. He is a player who makes a difference. SC was missing both offense and defensive players. We should have taken care of the Furd without a healthy Love, but Shaw is very smart and has a talented bunch to coach, particularly at tight end.

In terms of injury, we were missing Cam Goode for most of the season, but it hardly mattered since we have depth at his position and some stars elsewhere on the defense. We missed having a healthy Noa and Duncan at the time when we also had depleted offensive talent. These two receivers might have had a critical effect on the result at least in the Stanford game.
[Again, you make a good point with respect to injuries, but we're a'talkin' predictions here in the off-season; so it goes without saying injuries are non-factors because they are not conceivable let alone predictable with any certainty at this juncture. Thus, it is more fun for us to predict than to remain mute during the entire off-season for us outsider-free boarders.]

As for 2019, I believe we can defeat Ole Miss. After all, RichRod and McIntyre aren't on the team and neither is a great defensive coach. RichRod has missed at two major universities; McIntyre's claim to fame was having a heavily senior laden team in 2017 (?) that brought some praise, but quickly dissolved in the following season upon their graduation. These guys were released by their schools for a reason. [Yes, that is a possibility, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of these two coaches because they have coached teams that have defeated Cal. In any event, my presumption is that Ole Miss should be well-coach given that they'll be guided by 3 experienced head coaches raising the possibility that they may be better prepared than Cal (esp. if there is a QB change) so early in their schedule.]

I also believe we have a shot at beating SC once again. Daniels may be more of threat as a soph, but without getting Kingsbury they are roughly the same squad. [Yes that's always a possibility, at least until I see who the OC and other offensive assistants will be. That is, though, with all the money u$C is probably willing to put out for these prospective hires, I think its a pretty good assumption that they will not be any slouches, therefore there's a great possibility the Trojans won't be anything like "the same squad" Cal faced in 2018.]

It's very early. Let's see what Wilcox does to enhance the offense and its coaching. We are looking at the schedule as a one-sided event. These other teams also have to deal with us. Don't assume they have no holes to fill and don't suffer critical injuries. How many of you assumed we'd hold Washington to a single touchdown last year? [To date, I haven't heard that Wilcox will take any significant steps (at least not any that will have any foreseeable major impact) "to enhance the offense or its coaching" (my out-of-the-loop might be a consequence of not being a Premium member?); hence, my status quo caveat. I said that I'd add revisions if such steps should become apparent. However, even then, from my experience, Cal coaches generally don't take such drastic in-progress steps like the ones that I elicit the opponents are taking (Sonny did but only narrowly with regards to offense).]
72CalBear
Sitting here in January, gaining at least one break away and another pound-it back, in addition to two deep threat receivers - I think we can beat Ole Miss, ASU, Ucla USC and battle Furd along with the other W's you predict. This is without regard for what happens in the spring, transfers, who the opponents play right before us, and whether the f****** wall gets built.
Blueblood
72CalBear said:

Sitting here in January, gaining at least one break away and another pound-it back, in addition to two deep threat receivers - I think we can beat Ole Miss, ASU, Ucla USC and battle Furd along with the other W's you predict. This is without regard for what happens in the spring, transfers, who the opponents play right before us, and whether the f****** wall gets built.

mmmMMMMmmmm....oh yeah
8 and 4....I can see it now...Go Blairs!

Okay, fair enough! Uh...pour me a drink too. I can drink to an 8-4 team sunshine pumper homer-ism ...
Bear19
No reason to let reality creep into predicting 2019 so far away until kick-off. 16-0. Rose Bowl victory. National Championship.
Blueblood
Bear19 said:

No reason to let reality creep into predicting 2019 so far away until kick-off. 16-0. Rose Bowl victory. National Championship.
Now you're being extremely foolish, drunk stupid, or just want to be mean. Why are you on a mission to discredit my predictions with nonsense? My predictions are based on Cal being Cal, are they not?

Oh, I'm just pulling your leg....my feeling hardly ever get hurt.....8>}
calumnus
72CalBear said:

Who are the two deep threat receivers?
Blueblood
calumnus said:

72CalBear said:

Who are the two deep threat receivers?
...and....who is the ?QB that will get the ball to these "deep threat receivers?"
AunBear89
bluedud said:

"bark...bark... these threads aren't about Cal or football or your opinions - these threads are about MEEEE! barkity bark bark!"
Blueblood
AunBear89 said:

"bark...bark... these threads aren't about Cal or football or your opinions - these threads are about MEEEE! barkity bark bark!"
Whoa! Jealousy is a very strong human emotion as can be seen in the above poster's post....

...and it looks like also about you too, aUNbear89.....because you sure like MY threads.....that, of course, is alright with me...your my oldest reader....I thank you reading my posts... YOFY......

Oh....yeah...I forgot it takes aUNbear several days to work up his responses....AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

sHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......We'll wait....he's thinking....I think!
Blueblood
...Whew...maybe now 72CalBear will get us back on track.......pour another round for everyone!
okaydo
Is this the only prediction thread?
72CalBear
Blueblood said:

...Whew...maybe now 72CalBear will get us back on track.......pour another round for everyone!
Bears going 4-0, along with my LB Wilson Bruins 5-0, and the NZ All Blacks winning first round Rugby World Cup, I need to shut up and let you all do the talking from now on!

P.S. My Oski Bobblehead is dirty and covered in 15 years of dust since 2004. Also still facing north from Long Beach!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.