Offensive Line

1,965 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bonsallbear
bonsallbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A recent thread asked which offensive unit was most important. I suggested that the o line is. Could one or more of our more savvy posters please analyze our prospects for that unit. What is the expectations in terms of experience,depth, quality, coaching, recruits, and competitiveness.I appreciate your responses in advance.

Big C
I'm not claiming great OL knowledge, but our Rx for success here goes something like this:

Curhan has a great senior year (not uncommon for huge guys).
Saffell or Cindric make a great transition to the center position.
Craig and the others from his class develop quickly.
Williams isn't very gentle.
Hardly any injuries.

That scenario is possible, but at this point, I'd have to think we'll be at about where we were before Mekari went down: Halfway decent
OneKeg
Big C said:

I'm not claiming great OL knowledge, but our Rx for success here goes something like this:

Curhan has a great senior year (not uncommon for huge guys).
Saffell or Cindric make a great transition to the center position.
Craig and the others from his class develop quickly.
Williams isn't very gentle.
Hardly any injuries.

That scenario is possible, but at this point, I'd have to think we'll be at about where we were before Mekari went down: Halfway decent

Curhan has 2 more years of eligibility left. He was a 3rd-year sophomore this past season, eligibility-wise. So while he might be an senior this coming Fall academically, eligibility-wise I believe he will only be a junior. Of course maybe he has a great year and leaves early. Who knows.

With Curhan at RT and Maybe Craig at LT, hoping we have tackle depth behind them. Maybe Brandon Mello or Miles Owens? Guessing Saffell, Daltoso and either Cindric/GWilliams/Gibson in some combination starting in the middle 3 spots. Maybe Poutasi or incoming Freshman Mettauer (sp?) can also provide interior depth.

Agree with the general guess on results: probably somewhere in the ballpark of this season prior to the Saffell and Mekari injuries.
Big C
Oops, you are right of course: Curhan will be a RS jr. next season. Anyway, huge guys can blossom late. Hopefully when they're RS juniors!
wifeisafurd
I can see some growing pains at center. We could be more athletic at tackle, and have more depth at guard. Btu yes, I still see somewhere near the same as last year before injuries, trading more athleticism for inexperience. The following year this may be a very good unit.
Goobear
Curhan, Daltoso, Saffel, Craig, Gibson, Williams, Cindric, Mello..Poutasi don't forget about him. Cindric very strong and athletic...all these guys will be together in 2020 as well, except Gibson.
bonsallbear
So my take away from your comments is that the line will be no better than last year. That's depressing in as much as we couldn't pass protect or run block worth crap.unless one of the new QBS is any good, we might win 6-7 games next year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.