Football Scoop: Holgorsen targeting DeRuyter

AltSplice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

bluehenbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
argh
tim94501
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Houston is a downgrade for sure.
YamhillBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Except for possible $$$ and/or possible intangibles...
YamhillBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tim94501 said:

Houston is a downgrade for sure.
Except for possible $$$ and/or other possible intangibles
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tim94501 said:

Houston is a downgrade for sure.
Hmmm... Their head coach earned a pay raise going from P5 to Houston. If DeRuyter also receives an offer that includes a pay raise, I would not call it a downgrade. I would call it a chance to add to his resume as he attempts to get himself in a position to become a head coach again.
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tim94501 said:

Houston is a downgrade for sure.
Tell that to Holgorsen. And check out this article.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25682806/the-billionaire-bold-move-houston-dana-holgorsen-hire
ColoradoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GMP said:

tim94501 said:

Houston is a downgrade for sure.
Tell that to Holgorsen. And check out this article.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25682806/the-billionaire-bold-move-houston-dana-holgorsen-hire
UH still plays in the G5 (with a lot of bad opponents on the conference schedule), has a smaller fanbase and their athletic department has Rutgers in the Big East like losses ($26 million in institutional support).

I'm sure their goal is to position themselves for a G5 upgrade and harbor a big grudge vs the other Texas schools that were included in the B12 when the SWC fell apart.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/University-of-Houston-faces-a-widening-money-gap-12997349.php

Quote:

UH's $6.5 million total for ticket sales in 2017 was dwarfed by Texas' $72 million and A&M's $47 million, and its $9.9 million in contributions for that year, while up more than 10 percent from a year ago, pale compared to Texas' $42 million and A&M's $92 million, which included money for the Kyle Field expansion.
Will be interesting to see if UH can spend their way into a P5 invite...

71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ColoradoBear said:

GMP said:

tim94501 said:

Houston is a downgrade for sure.
Tell that to Holgorsen. And check out this article.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25682806/the-billionaire-bold-move-houston-dana-holgorsen-hire
UH still plays in the G5 (with a lot of bad opponents on the conference schedule), has a smaller fanbase and their athletic department has Rutgers in the Big East like losses ($26 million in institutional support).

I'm sure their goal is to position themselves for a G5 upgrade and harbor a big grudge vs the other Texas schools that were included in the B12 when the SWC fell apart.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/University-of-Houston-faces-a-widening-money-gap-12997349.php

Quote:

UH's $6.5 million total for ticket sales in 2017 was dwarfed by Texas' $72 million and A&M's $47 million, and its $9.9 million in contributions for that year, while up more than 10 percent from a year ago, pale compared to Texas' $42 million and A&M's $92 million, which included money for the Kyle Field expansion.
Will be interesting to see if UH can spend their way into a P5 invite...


Not as long as TX A&M and Texas continue to block efforts to allow Houston to bump up......
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like the Pac12 is meeting them halfway.
ThesePretzels
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No state income tax in Texas either. That's like a free 10%+ pay raise.
ColoradoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ThesePretzels said:

No state income tax in Texas either. That's like a free 10%+ pay raise.


There is a huge cost though. Living in Houston.

DeRuyter has 5 years of FSU HC salary in the bank. Not saying he wants to be underpaid, but he's not at all strapped for money like a young assistant getting $150k would be at Cal.
packawana
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's his home state (and I think what he considers his hometown) so it would make sense. Hopefully he doesn't go but I wouldn't hold it against him.
CannonBlast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
packawana said:

It's his home state (and I think what he considers his hometown) so it would make sense. Hopefully he doesn't go but I wouldn't hold it against him.


I believe TD is an LA boy and a Bosco grad. From what I understand he still has family in socal.
txwharfrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tim94501 said:

Houston is a downgrade for sure.
Based on what? Better pay. Better support from the faculty, president, Regents, etc. Stronger financial and institutional commitment to sports and football than Cal. Higher profile for football than Cal.
Yogi Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
71Bear said:

tim94501 said:

Houston is a downgrade for sure.
Hmmm... Their head coach earned a pay raise going from P5 to Houston. If DeRuyter also receives an offer that includes a pay raise, I would not call it a downgrade. I would call it a chance to add to his resume as he attempts to get himself in a position to become a head coach again.
He gives up $300K if he's not still DC August 1, so it'll have to be a pretty good raise.
ColoradoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txwharfrat said:

tim94501 said:

Houston is a downgrade for sure.
Based on what? Better pay. Better support from the faculty, president, Regents, etc. Stronger financial and institutional commitment to sports and football than Cal. Higher profile for football than Cal.


Definitely not a higher profile outside of the Texas bubble.

No fans, crap competition outside of 1-2 games a year, a giant inferiority complex among everyone else associated with athletics, garbage weather, but yes they might pay up.

Seems like an easy way out to get to 10-2 per year, but that's like going 2-2 in a real conference.

But the real question is what are TDRs goals for the future? If he wants to be HC again, that's one path and going to Houston for money might not make sense. Big time DC? I'd think he could get a big time DC job right now at much higher profile programs than Houston.
GMP
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ColoradoBear said:

txwharfrat said:

tim94501 said:

Houston is a downgrade for sure.
Based on what? Better pay. Better support from the faculty, president, Regents, etc. Stronger financial and institutional commitment to sports and football than Cal. Higher profile for football than Cal.


Definitely not a higher profile outside of the Texas bubble.

No fans, crap competition outside of 1-2 games a year, a giant inferiority complex among everyone else associated with athletics, garbage weather, but yes they might pay up.

Seems like an easy way out to get to 10-2 per year, but that's like going 2-2 in a real conference.

But the real question is what are TDRs goals for the future? If he wants to be HC again, that's one path and going to Houston for money might not make sense. Big time DC? I'd think he could get a big time DC job right now at much higher profile programs than Houston.

You pegged txwharf on that one.
82gradDLSdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If TD wants to be a head coach he won't do it being DC for an air raid team. He may do a great job and still have crappy defensive stats. He knows he'll get defensive support from Wilcox.
CaliforniaEternal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
82gradDLSdad said:

If TD wants to be a head coach he won't do it being DC for an air raid team. He may do a great job and still have crappy defensive stats. He knows he'll get defensive support from Wilcox.

This is a great point. It's a lot more fun to be a DC with a program that prioritizes defense than at an Air Raid program that has 25 WRs on scholarship.

Then again, that Houston billionaire seems real antsy for UH to join the Big 12 so he may pony up.

packawana
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wasn't he disparaged by FSU's fanbase for being way too obsessed with Texas and bringing in Texas talent? Was that because of his A&M stint then? Otherwise I can't imagine why everyone associates him with TX.
91Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UH was part of a "power" conference back in the day when they were a part of the SWC with all the Texas schools plus Arkansas before being abandoned after Arkansas left to join the SEC in 1991and the Big 12 was formed when Texas, TAMU, Baylor and TT joined Oklahoma, etc.

Back in the day, the SWC had plenty of $$$ flowing to recruits and players - Texas, TAMU, TT, TCU, SMU and Houston were all hit with probations - SMU receiving the death penalty in 1987.

With the $$$ still in Texas combined with the Church of Football alive and well, it was only a matter of time before the amounts we're seeing now were thrown at the Houston program...the last of the SWC teams to not be in a P5 that didn't get the death penalty (SMU) or is named Rice (last major bowl was the Sugar Bowl in 1960 - almost as long a streak as Cal - they even had a co-conference championship season in 1994 where they didn't go to a bowl because they finished 5-6 overall! more pathetic than Cal even though it was more reflective of the collapse of the SWC).

If this ploy works for Houston, watch for SMU to start throwing silly $ next...old jealousies never die, especially in the world of Texas football!
Yogi Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
packawana said:

Wasn't he disparaged by FSU's fanbase for being way too obsessed with Texas and bringing in Texas talent? Was that because of his A&M stint then? Otherwise I can't imagine why everyone associates him with TX.
Apparently, he and Sonny had the same issue with overrecruiting in Texas. In fact, Texas is DeRuyter's territory for us. And he was assistant head coach/defensive coordinator for Texas Tech.
Alkiadt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yogi Bear said:

packawana said:

Wasn't he disparaged by FSU's fanbase for being way too obsessed with Texas and bringing in Texas talent? Was that because of his A&M stint then? Otherwise I can't imagine why everyone associates him with TX.
Apparently, he and Sonny had the same issue with overrecruiting in Texas. In fact, Texas is DeRuyter's territory for us. And he was assistant head coach/defensive coordinator for Texas Tech.


Texas A&M

Not TT.
Yogi Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alkiadt said:

Yogi Bear said:

packawana said:

Wasn't he disparaged by FSU's fanbase for being way too obsessed with Texas and bringing in Texas talent? Was that because of his A&M stint then? Otherwise I can't imagine why everyone associates him with TX.
Apparently, he and Sonny had the same issue with overrecruiting in Texas. In fact, Texas is DeRuyter's territory for us. And he was assistant head coach/defensive coordinator for Texas Tech.
Texas A&M

Not TT.
I can never tell those Texas schools apart.
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CaliforniaEternal said:

82gradDLSdad said:

If TD wants to be a head coach he won't do it being DC for an air raid team. He may do a great job and still have crappy defensive stats. He knows he'll get defensive support from Wilcox.

This is a great point. It's a lot more fun to be a DC with a program that prioritizes defense than at an Air Raid program that has 25 WRs on scholarship.

Then again, that Houston billionaire seems real antsy for UH to join the Big 12 so he may pony up.


With the Cal turn around, he will have better P5 offer. With almost everyone coming back on Cal's defense, best play is to wait for a HC offer.
tim94501
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's a downgrade in that if Houston goes undefeated and beats the snot outta every opponent they still won't go to the playoff. They are essentially not eligible to win a national championship.
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tim94501 said:

It's a downgrade in that if Houston goes undefeated and beats the snot outta every opponent they still won't go to the playoff. They are essentially not eligible to win a national championship.
Given their 2019 schedule, yes, if they win big over every opponent, it would be tough to say "no playoff for you".

OOC

Oklahoma
Washington State
North Texas
Prairie View

Three of those teams had solid 2018 seasons.

Among their conference opponents, Memphis, Cincinnati and UCF are all very good teams.

A 13-0 record (including a conference championship win) with resounding wins over OK, et. al. would be remarkable.
txwharfrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ColoradoBear said:

txwharfrat said:

tim94501 said:

Houston is a downgrade for sure.
Based on what? Better pay. Better support from the faculty, president, Regents, etc. Stronger financial and institutional commitment to sports and football than Cal. Higher profile for football than Cal.


Definitely not a higher profile outside of the Texas bubble.

No fans, crap competition outside of 1-2 games a year, a giant inferiority complex among everyone else associated with athletics, garbage weather, but yes they might pay up.

Seems like an easy way out to get to 10-2 per year, but that's like going 2-2 in a real conference.

But the real question is what are TDRs goals for the future? If he wants to be HC again, that's one path and going to Houston for money might not make sense. Big time DC? I'd think he could get a big time DC job right now at much higher profile programs than Houston.


It is very sad to say, but I do not believe that Cal has a bigger national football profile than Houston. Maybe in the Bay Area, but not anywhere else.
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txwharfrat said:

ColoradoBear said:

txwharfrat said:

tim94501 said:

Houston is a downgrade for sure.
Based on what? Better pay. Better support from the faculty, president, Regents, etc. Stronger financial and institutional commitment to sports and football than Cal. Higher profile for football than Cal.


Definitely not a higher profile outside of the Texas bubble.

No fans, crap competition outside of 1-2 games a year, a giant inferiority complex among everyone else associated with athletics, garbage weather, but yes they might pay up.

Seems like an easy way out to get to 10-2 per year, but that's like going 2-2 in a real conference.

But the real question is what are TDRs goals for the future? If he wants to be HC again, that's one path and going to Houston for money might not make sense. Big time DC? I'd think he could get a big time DC job right now at much higher profile programs than Houston.


It is very sad to say, but I do not believe that Cal has a bigger national football profile than Houston. Maybe in the Bay Area, but not anywhere else.
I agree. Tom Herman, Ed Oliver and now Dana H. have raised the Houston profile significantly. They are a player. OTOH, Cal is in the middle of a downtrodden, half-ass conference that is the laughingstock of the P5 world....
TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where Houston stands with respect to Cal is debatable depending on the metric. Maybe they've been a better team on the field the last decade. On coaches pay, they seem to be right around us for both staff and HC pay. They may have us on the deep deep pocketed donors.

But on program revenue, it's not even close. Cal revenue in the $40M or so range (last I saw). Houston is in the $15M range. Not even close.
blungld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txwharfrat said:


It is very sad to say, but I do not believe that Cal has a bigger national football profile than Houston. Maybe in the Bay Area, but not anywhere else.
I'd say it's close, but give the edge to Cal. More visibility in the NFL and a more well-known academic/cultural brand. I think our appeal and profile runs in different demos and geos, but would say we are 10-20 "spots" above Houston if you listed teams top to bottom on a very subjective national football profile score. IMHO.
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheSouseFamily said:

Where Houston stands with respect to Cal is debatable depending on the metric. Maybe they've been a better team on the field the last decade. On coaches pay, they seem to be right around us for both staff and HC pay. They may have us on the deep deep pocketed donors.

But on program revenue, it's not even close. Cal revenue in the $40M or so range (last I saw). Houston is in the $15M range. Not even close.
Perception trumps reality...

I was looking at it from the National perception of the respective football programs. Cal is not highly regarded today. Houston is seen as an up and comer. Add to that, the recent hire of Dana H. and they have the attention of the college football world.

(also, having an angel like the guy that owns the Rockets doesn't hurt...)
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
blungld said:

txwharfrat said:


It is very sad to say, but I do not believe that Cal has a bigger national football profile than Houston. Maybe in the Bay Area, but not anywhere else.
I'd say it's close, but give the edge to Cal. More visibility in the NFL and a more well-known academic/cultural brand. I think our appeal and profile runs in different demos and geos, but would say we are 10-20 "spots" above Houston if you listed teams top to bottom on a very subjective national football profile score. IMHO.
In their final ranking of all 130 FBS schools, The Athletic had Houston ranked 49 and Cal 67. While that is only one such ranking, it does give us an indicator re: the perception of Cal football relative to Houston.
OdontoBear66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If our perception is so bad, why are we not playing on the fact that DeSean Jackson, Jared Goff, Marhsawn Lynch, and Aaron Rodgers all went to the University of California, aka CAL. Does our marketing department do anything to put the two together. Most people east of the Mississippi don't even know that University of California and Cal are one and the same. It is not their fault.
Page 1 of 2
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.