Love hurts (his knee)....

4,573 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TomBear
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stanford's Love tore his ACL in the Big Game and had surgery last month. He just went from Round 1 after 2017 to who knows where after 2018.

bluehenbear
Well, hopefully, he can rehab and be a steal for someone in the future.

And file a claim on that insurance policy furd (or some booster) paid for to get him to return...
Sebastabear
Happened in the 4th quarter on the last play he was in for. Unbelievable.

https://sports.yahoo.com/stanfords-bryce-love-path-recovery-torn-acl-ahead-nfl-draft-174329554.html
Goobear
That totally sucks. Wishing him well.
GMP
71Bear said:

Stanford's Love tore his ACL in the Big Game and had surgery last month. He just went from Round 1 after 2017 to who knows where after 2018.

That sucks for him. Players should leave as soon as they can. Especially if they have a first/second round grade.
stanfurdbites
Its his own fault as he never should have came back. Stupidest decision he could have made. Always take the money and run cause you're an injury away from losing millions.
GivemTheAxe
71Bear said:

Too bad. I hate Stanfurd but most times I have no ill will for the players. They are only kids.
Looks like Love and Cal would both have been better off if the game had been played on the day originally scheduled.
calumnus
stanfurdbites said:

Its his own fault as he never should have came back. Stupidest decision he could have made. Always take the money and run cause you're an injury away from losing millions.

Especially running backs.
KoreAmBear
GMP said:

71Bear said:

That sucks for him. Players should leave as soon as they can. Especially if they have a first/second round grade.
Yep. Football - you are potentially one play from it all ending. Get paid.
Unit2Sucks
Sebastabear said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/stanfords-bryce-love-path-recovery-torn-acl-ahead-nfl-draft-174329554.html
Really sorry to hear this and hope he fully recovers. This seems to be like Tommy John surgery and more of a blip than a career-ender these days. See guys like Frank Gore for hall of fame examples.

Mainly I came to say that isn't it always the *last play* when you have a bad injury? I mean, don't most people leave the game when they suffer a torn ACL? In this case, I get that it was late in the 4th quarter in the last regular season game, but it wasn't like he was in the game to take a knee during garbage time. Looks like we were down 10 with early in the 4th quarter when that drive started.
Sebastabear
Unit2Sucks said:

Sebastabear said:

Really sorry to hear this and hope he fully recovers. This seems to be like Tommy John surgery and more of a blip than a career-ender these days. See guys like Frank Gore for hall of fame examples.

Mainly I came to say that isn't it always the *last play* when you have a bad injury? I mean, don't most people leave the game when they suffer a torn ACL? In this case, I get that it was late in the 4th quarter in the last regular season game, but it wasn't like he was in the game to take a knee during garbage time. Looks like we were down 10 with early in the 4th quarter when that drive started.
True dat. Although I've certainly seen people try to come back in after an ACL tear not realizing that's what happened. Broader point was that this was the fourth quarter of the last game. Literally the last few minutes (or at most few hours) of his college playing career. Terrible.
UrsusTexicanus
He could always start med school early. Not a bad fallback plan.
LunchTime
Looks like 3rd and 11 from the 13, up 16-6, under 4 minutes.

Ten yard run, FG

hanky1
Man that really sucks. He'll basically have to 'redshirt' his first year in the nfl. Running back is the one position you should jump to the nfl as soon as you can if you're draftable.
calbear80
I wish Love quick recovery and a successful NFL career.

Fellow Bear Insiders, Cal fans are classy. Please remember that he is a 20/21 year older who is playing the game he loves just for a free college attendance.

If I was so lucky that he was my son, I would have advised him to take the money at the end of 2017 season. But, I respect him (and his family) for the decision he made.

Please join me in wishing Love the very best.

Go Bears!
TomBear
I admire young men who finish out their commitment, even with the lure of the nfl on the horizon.

I watched the game on TV and saw the injury happen. It is extremely unfortunate. But my guess is he'll come back just fine and do well.

Doesn't take the sting out of the consequences though. I wish him well. He earned my respect by coming back and giving everything he had.
71Bear
TomBear said:

I admire young men who finish out their commitment, even with the lure of the nfl on the horizon.

I watched the game on TV and saw the injury happen. It is extremely unfortunate. But my guess is he'll come back just fine and do well.

Doesn't take the sting out of the consequences though. I wish him well. He earned my respect by coming back and giving everything he had.
Easy for you to say... You have no idea of the personal stories of the players who leave early. Many come from very difficult circumstances, including living in a homeless family. I believe that every player who is good enough has earned the right to move on after putting in his three years. Quick frankly, I admire the efforts of all the guys who leave early in order to help their families achieve a better life.
TandemBear
Unit2Sucks said:

Sebastabear said:

Just like it's always "the last run of the day" when you blow out your knee skiing. Hard to do that on the "third to last run of the day!" Hard to take a few more runs on a blown out knee. That said, there is some additional meaning to the statement. It implies injuries like this occur at the end of long day of physical exertion when you're tired and your muscles, ligaments and tendons are fatigued. So from this perspective, it isn't such a dumb statement, although it could be reworded.

On this note, I remember reading an article on knees and recovery many years back. It went into some depth about how important it is to let the knees (and all important joints) rest after a lot of exertion. It discussed how the knee's stability is significantly compromised the day AFTER a big exertion day and that that's exactly when your knee is most vulnerable to serious injury. Get enough rest for your knees to recover and regain their strength and stability for another big workout. In other words, listen to your body and don't overdo it. Don't "just push past the pain."

For us older folks, wiser words probably couln't be said!

And I gotta say that it sucks for Love. He came back to contribute and this is his reward. "No good deed goes unpunished!" Unfortunately, the need to "get paid" should supersede a player's loyalty to his team. Unless some sort of insurance policy could cover such incidents. If Stanford said, "we'll offer you a $5M policy to return for your last season, should you suffer a serious injury." Sure, he still may miss out on the lucrative salary of a long-time NFL player, but at least he gets a tidy sum to start his career pursuing other avenues.
71Bear
TandemBear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Sebastabear said:

Just like it's always "the last run of the day" when you blow out your knee skiing. Hard to do that on the "third to last run of the day!" Hard to take a few more runs on a blown out knee. That said, there is some additional meaning to the statement. It implies injuries like this occur at the end of long day of physical exertion when you're tired and your muscles, ligaments and tendons are fatigued. So from this perspective, it isn't such a dumb statement, although it could be reworded.

On this note, I remember reading an article on knees and recovery many years back. It went into some depth about how important it is to let the knees (and all important joints) rest after a lot of exertion. It discussed how the knee's stability is significantly compromised the day AFTER a big exertion day and that that's exactly when your knee is most vulnerable to serious injury. Get enough rest for your knees to recover and regain their strength and stability for another big workout. In other words, listen to your body and don't overdo it. Don't "just push past the pain."

For us older folks, wiser words probably couln't be said!

And I gotta say that it sucks for Love. He came back to contribute and this is his reward. "No good deed goes unpunished!" Unfortunately, the need to "get paid" should supersede a player's loyalty to his team. Unless some sort of insurance policy could cover such incidents. If Stanford said, "we'll offer you a $5M policy to return for your last season, should you suffer a serious injury." Sure, he still may miss out on the lucrative salary of a long-time NFL player, but at least he gets a tidy sum to start his career pursuing other avenues.
While Stanford could not pay the premium, nothing stops Love from making such a payment. It is rather common among guys with an NFL future who return to college.

The kid from Notre Dame who blew out his knee and was subsequently drafted by Dallas received a huge payment that covered much of what he lost by falling in the draft.
calumnus
UrsusTexicanus said:

He could always start med school early. Not a bad fallback plan.

Definitely one of the advantages of going to Stanford or Cal is you can fall back on a great degree if a pro career does not pan out, for whatever reason.
Bear19
Goobear said:

That totally sucks. Wishing him well.
It is a shame. I recall reading an article where he roomed with Patrick Laird for interviews about players giving back to the community. Laird had nothing but good things to say about Love.

It will hurt his draft status some - though it seems to be a fairly common injury (?) these days that players can recover from. Wish him well.
Bear19
TomBear
71, Re-read what I wrote. I didn't condemn him for the decision. I simply said I respect those who finish out their expected athletic time. So I stand by what I said.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.