A leftover fun stat from the bowl game

1,888 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 82gradDLSdad
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gary Patterson is 9-0 as the Frogs head coach when TCU passes for fewer than 100 yards.

Source: The Athletic

Perhaps Cal should have altered their strategy to permit TCU to pass for 101 yards.
CannonBlast
Here is the full blurb from their article featuring The 23 most interesting stats from the postseason:

"12. In the Cheez-It Bowl, TCU caught eight passes from its quarterbacks and five from Cal's quarterbacks.

The game included five interceptions thrown by Cal and four thrown by TCU. The Horned Frogs went 8-for-21 passing for 28 yards and four interceptions and won 10-7.

TCU is 9-0 under Gary Patterson when throwing for fewer than 100 yards. Grayson Muehlstein became the only player to throw for fewer than 30 yards with four interceptions in a winning effort since at least 2000, according to Sports Reference."
bluehenbear
What's his record when they pass for between 101-200 yards?
TheFiatLux
CannonBlast said:

Here is the full blurb from their article featuring The 23 most interesting stats from the postseason:

"12. In the Cheez-It Bowl, TCU caught eight passes from its quarterbacks and five from Cal's quarterbacks.

The game included five interceptions thrown by Cal and four thrown by TCU. The Horned Frogs went 8-for-21 passing for 28 yards and four interceptions and won 10-7.

TCU is 9-0 under Gary Patterson when throwing for fewer than 100 yards. Grayson Muehlstein became the only player to throw for fewer than 30 yards with four interceptions in a winning effort since at least 2000, according to Sports Reference."

This really feels like a Rorschach test for Cal fans. Do you look at this and laugh (I did) or do you look at this and it makes you angry.

The part I bolded in particular makes me laugh because I can just see the writer thinking "Yeah, I'm not going through any more bad boxscores for this... that's enough."

71Bear
TheFiatLux said:

CannonBlast said:

This really feels like a Rorschach test for Cal fans. Do you look at this and laugh (I did) or do you look at this and it makes you angry.

The part I bolded in particular makes me laugh because I can just see the writer thinking "Yeah, I'm not going through any more bad boxscores for this... that's enough."

Welcome to the world of data mining. Sports Reference has all the information you need dating to 2000. All it takes is a quick look at the site, a few clicks and presto! Of course, if you want to go back further than 2000, it would require the rather labor intensive effort of going through box scores one by one which as you said would be a pain in the neck.

And yes, I know you were being facetious.

72CalBear
Thank goodness this bowl disaster will hopefully be forgotten by next season, right??
82gradDLSdad
72CalBear said:

Thank goodness this bowl disaster will hopefully be forgotten by next season, right??

Right up until we see our offense "perform".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.