Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Isaiah Humphries
Cal Football

Bears Add a Big Transfer in Penn State Safety Isaiah Humphries

January 13, 2019

The Bears added a nice piece to their highly-rated defense and defensive backfield with the impending spring 2019 transfer of Penn State safety Isaiah Humphries, who will enroll this week and sit out his transfer season after redshirting as a freshman. He’ll have three years to play three seasons beginning next spring.

The 5’11/190 safety was offered by the Bears out of high school and they formed a good connection with the Sachse High School (Rowlett, Texas) recruit but the 3 star athlete chose to follow in his father’s footsteps to sign and enroll with Penn State in spring of 2018. Humphries chose the Nittany Lions over other top programs like Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Baylor in addition to Cal when he made his initial decision.

The decision to transfer wasn’t an easy one for Humphries but ultimately, he felt that stepping out and following his instincts was the right thing to do.

“Sometimes in life you gotta make those tough CEO decisions,” said Humphries. “Those decisions where you have to lose a little to gain a lot more.

“I knew my situation at PSU and I didn’t know what would happen if I left but I prayed about it and took a leap of faith and ended up on the other side of the country at the best public school in the world. I felt as if I wasn’t going where I needed and wanted to go in multiple aspects of my life and going to Cal allows me to fulfill those needs.”

When it became time to officially move forward, the Bears were front and center in the talented DB’s mind.

“When I put my name in the portal, the first name that popped in my head was Cal,” said Humphries. “I knew I would fit in there and be able to come in and compete, and the environment was one that I knew I would like.

“Visiting the campus and the Bay Area, I realized that I wanted to be near a city like San Francisco but just far enough to have that college feel. I was very impressed and I felt truly at home.”

Humphries likes what he’s seen in the program’s trajectory and the increasing dominance of the defense at Cal, as well.

“I’ve liked the direction everything was headed and I want to add my skills and athleticism to the team and try to be the best that I can be,” said Humphries. “I want to help turn Cal into the PAC12's premier team and start something that will last years after I finish playing.”

As a senior, Humphries compiled 60 tackles and seven interceptions along with one forced fumble and one fumble recovered.

An excellent student, sporting an impressive 4.37 gpa in high school, Humphries would like to apply to Cal’s Haas School of Business this fall. He noted that Cal’s prestigious academic reputation played a big role in his interest in enrolling at Cal this spring.

Discussion from...

Bears Add a Big Transfer in Penn State Safety Isaiah Humphries

29,120 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calumnus
calbear80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome aboard Mr. Humphries! Glad to have you as a Golden Bear!

Go Bears!

P.S. You will love the weather at Cal when compared to Penn State.
txwharfrat
Perfect type of transfer for us - has to sit next year and has a chance to play right away when the entire secondary (except Hicks) leaves after 2019 season.
FireFighterBest
Excellent pick up at the position of greatest need!!
FremontBear
Welcome to the Bears, Isaiah! What a great addition to Cal's elite defense!
OdontoBear66
Nice transfer. Loving the defense's continuing improvement both on the field and recruiting.
Bobodeluxe
FireFighterBest said:

Excellent pick up at the position of greatest need!!
Well, if by that you mean football players?
cal83dls79
Great pick up. His mom aka "Kima" from the Wire is pretty badass too. Welcome aboard!
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
bearister
cal83dls79 said:

Great pick up. His mom aka "Kima" from the Wire is pretty badass too. Welcome aboard!

Is this a "look alike" reference because "Kima" doesn't have a son.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonja_Sohn
cal83dls79
bearister said:

cal83dls79 said:

one thing I hate about this BI site is all the g'damn fact checkers (she is Kima BTW). But that said, how do we really know Kima DOESN'T have a son? In my mind if it is her son, he catapults to ****. That's good for the Bears. I like you Bearister but sometimes you need to go with gut over Wikipedia. My Dad always said that.
GMP
cal83dls79 said:

bearister said:

cal83dls79 said:

one thing I hate about this BI site is all the g'damn fact checkers (she is Kima BTW). But that said, how do we really know Kima DOESN'T have a son? In my mind if it is her son, he catapults to ****. That's good for the Bears. I like you Bearister but sometimes you need to go with gut over Wikipedia. My Dad always said that.
If you mean the woman in the photo with him, that is NOT Kima. I don't need Wikipedia to tell me that.
TheSouseFamily
Cal83dls - I'm picking up what you're putting down here, brother. And Kima is a good call. I'm a little surprised that Bearister wasn't on it though. After all, it's the same guy who made the solid Moses Brown / Brittany Griner reference last week which is top notch. .
KenBurnski
Going forward, all parents and family members posing for press photos with players must also wear full gameday uniforms.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
I am almost fully certain she is Phylicia Rashad.
bearister
Big C
While I'm always willing to discuss anything related to The Wire, I have a comment and questions more to the point:

Isiaiah, welcome to Cal!

Did he see the field at all last season? What is a thumbnail sketch of him as an athlete/football player?
71Bear
Big C said:

While I'm always willing to discuss anything related to The Wire, I have a comment and questions more to the point:

Isiaiah, welcome to Cal!

Did he see the field at all last season? What is a thumbnail sketch of him as an athlete/football player?
He played in one game (v. Wisconsin). He was not credited with any stats.
cal83dls79
GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

bearister said:

cal83dls79 said:

If you mean the woman in the photo with him, that is NOT Kima. I don't need Wikipedia to tell me that.
good lord. Thanks captain obvious and fun suck.
GMP
cal83dls79 said:

GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

bearister said:

cal83dls79 said:

You have a strange definition of fun.
cal83dls79
GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

bearister said:

cal83dls79 said:

there is this thing called satire, irony etc. if I have to explain that oh boy,
cal83dls79
Omg. The dude actually thought I was speaking up for the Kima-challengers. Just jumped the shark.
GMP
cal83dls79 said:

GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

bearister said:

cal83dls79 said:

there is this thing called satire, irony etc. if I have to explain that oh boy,

What about this statement: "one thing I hate about this BI site is all the g'damn fact checkers (she is Kima BTW). But that said, how do we really know Kima DOESN'T have a son? In my mind if it is her son, he catapults to ****. That's good for the Bears," suggests you were utilizing "satire, irony, etc."? Because that reads to me as someone who believes the kid's mom is the actress who plays Kima. I sense no "satire, irony, etc." in statements like "i hate...all the g'damn fact checkers" and "she is Kima BTW", and "In my mind if it is her son, he catapults to ***. That's good for the Bears."

If you were attempting "satire, irony, etc.", you failed, IMO. Not trying to be a "fun suck". It just was not at all clear you were not serious.
NVBear78
Let me bring this back full circle and say welcome to Cal Isaiah. We are very pleased to have you on board and wish you the very best in your football and educational experiences at Cal.

Go Bears!
Big C
Fact: For satire to be considered "good", 17-33% of people need to think there is a 25-50% chance that the person was serious.
GMP
Big C said:

Fact: For satire to be considered "good", 17-33% of people need to think there is a 25-50% chance that the person was serious.

That's not the only requirement for satire to be considered "good".
calumnus
GMP said:

Big C said:

Not even a requirement for good satire, more a common result for good (and bad) satire.
going4roses
Smh
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
going4roses said:

Smh

LoL it's a B.I. tradition to fubar student-athlete commitment threads.
cal83dls79
Good lord GMP. I was kidding day 1, go fight someone else. Good golly. Look thru my threads and take a Xanax. You started this nonsense. I was actually trying to have fun with these guys . Bye
cal83dls79
Big C said:

I think I hit that mark, well.
cal83dls79
GMP said:

cal83dls79 said:

bearister said:

cal83dls79 said:

here is where you made your fatal flaw son. You thought I was serious. GoBears
cal83dls79
calumnus said:

GMP said:

Big C said:

Not even a requirement for good satire, more a common result for good (and bad) satire.
ugh. Try to have fun on this site and have to deal with people born in a cultural cave, unwilling to admit fault and distinguish reality from fantasy. No, his mom is not Kima. We can agree there .
YamhillBear
I was only kidding and I didn't even post
calumnus
cal83dls79 said:

calumnus said:

GMP said:

Big C said:

ugh. Try to have fun on this site and have to deal with people born in a cultural cave, unwilling to admit fault and distinguish reality from fantasy. No, his mom is not Kima. We can agree there .

Hey, sorry no harm intended, I really shouldn't have further digressed the digression.

Welcome Isaiah!
cal83dls79
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

I am almost fully certain she is Phylicia Rashad.
nasal, your observation got lost in all of this "Kima" nonsense that some clown started, but it needs to be sussed nonetheless. She is most certainly not Phylicia Rashad and I don't need Wikipedia to tell me that. If she were, he would most certainly stay at a ***, IMO . If she were Kima (which I am told she is not and confirmed by Wikipedia) he moves to **** because Kima is badass. Welcome aboard not son of Kima!
82gradDLSdad
I have a question: who is Kima.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.