Saban lost an NCAA Championship by hiring Tosh Lupois as DC

4,184 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BearSD
NVBear78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No way would a defense coached by Wilcox or DeRuyter get shredded like Alabama's did in the National Championship game. Tosh was exposed during that game and his career trajectory just took a nosedive.

Couldn't have happened to two more deserving fellows...
71Bear
NVBear78 said:

No way would a defense coached by Wilcox or DeRuyter get shredded like Alabama's did in the National Championship game. Tosh was exposed during that game and his career trajectory just took a nosedive.

Are you referencing Wilcox and DeRuyter in your last sentence? If so, what they have to do with Clemson's big win?

I blame it on Barbour
GMP
NVBear78 said:

I have no idea why people think they're qualified to make this assessment, but I will point out the following:

Tosh had never made defensive calls, as far as I have read, before 2018. When he was promoted to defensive coordinator, Pete Goulding was also named co-defensive coordinator. From Bama's bio on Goulding:

Quote:

Golding came to Tuscaloosa after coaching defensive backs and handling the defensive coordinator duties at the University of Texas-San Antonio the past two seasons.

Golding's 2017 defense ranked seventh in the Football Bowl Subdivision, allowing just 287.8 yards per game. The Roadrunners finished eighth in scoring defense (17.0 ppg), second in first downs defense (166) and 19th in pass efficiency defense (112.19). UTSA's improvement during Golding's tenure was evident, as the defense allowed 156 less yards per game and 16.8 less point per game in 2017 compared to 2015.

In his first season with the Roadrunners in 2016, he helped lead the program to six wins and its first bowl game the 2016 Gildan New Mexico Bowl. His defense set several school records, including single-season standards for tackles (934), tackles for loss (77), sacks (27) and quarterback hurries (38).

It is not clear to me who made the defensive calls at Bama last year - but Golding was hired in December 2017 as "co-defensive coordinator" and Tosh was promoted in February 2018, dropping the "co" from his title. That suggests to me the "promotion" for Tosh was in name only, and done to justify a big salary raise.

Finally, I will note that during the CFP, I saw Tosh coaching on the sidelines. Typically, but of course not always, the person calling the plays is in the booth.

My guess is Golding is the "real" coordinator and Tosh needed the title to justify the gigantic salary, which was needed to keep their super recruiter.
KenBurnski
I read an article posted by Okaydo that said Tosh was relieved of playcalling duties after the first few games. So sounds like he wasn't calling for the bulk of the season.
LunchTime
NVBear78 said:

I don't think UCLA shreds Bama. But they sure shredded Cal.
KoreAmBear
LunchTime said:

NVBear78 said:

That was the one outlier from the D this year.
Yogi58
NVBear78 said:

No way would a defense coached by Wilcox or DeRuyter get shredded like Alabama's did in the National Championship game.
You're absolutely right. We carry the honor of being shredded by UCLA.
diva1
alabama got beaten by clemson with another d coordinator 2 years ago
Maybe Saban's the problem
bluehenbear
https://deadspin.com/report-nick-saban-had-no-clue-his-assistant-left-for-a-1831870914
flounder
8 years later, and still multiple tosh posts per week. the man owns real estate on this board.
calumnus
flounder said:

8 years later, and still multiple tosh posts per week. the man owns real estate on this board.

It has been 239 years since Benedict Arnold betrayed our country. People do not forget traitors.
LunchTime
KoreAmBear said:

LunchTime said:

NVBear78 said:

That was the one outlier from the D this year.
I honestly feel like this board is on crazy pills.

Alabama was one spot behind Cal for total defense, and 8 spots ahead for points allowed.

They had basically one big wiff, and a smaller wiff against the National Champion (#3,4scoring) and Heisman winner (#1,1scoring) respectively.

Cal wiffed on Oregon (#41,25th scoring) and UCLA (UCLA was more the offense giving the game away, though).

The idea that Cal would definitely stop Oklahoma and Clemson because we stopped WSU and Washington is silly.

Cal wasn't automatic on D.

And if Bama is what a ****ty D looks like, I hope Cal can get there.
bluehenbear
https://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2019/1/17/18186533/nick-saban-has-time-enough-at-last
burritos
calumnus said:

flounder said:

It has been 239 years since Benedict Arnold betrayed our country. People do not forget traitors.
I thought Cleveland took back Lebron.
calumnus
burritos said:

calumnus said:

flounder said:

LeBron left Cleveland when his contract expired. He did nothing spiteful to Cleveland. He gave full effort while on their payroll. He did not throw games. He did not tell other players not to sign with them.

It was not that Tosh left Cal for more pay. He would not be the first, Cal alum or not. No one would begrudge him for that. It is that he actively recruited against us while still on our payroll, using up our limited permitted in home visits and blew up a Top 10 class. Telling our committed recruits to sign with anyone but Cal.
LunchTime
calumnus said:

burritos said:

calumnus said:

flounder said:

LeBron left Cleveland when his contract expired. He did nothing spiteful to Cleveland. He gave full effort while on their payroll. He did not throw games. He did not tell other players not to sign with them.

It was not that Tosh left Cal for more pay. He would not be the first, Cal alum or not. No one would begrudge him for that. It is that he actively recruited against us while still on our payroll, using up our limited permitted in home visits and blew up a Top 10 class. Telling our committed recruits to sign with anyone but Cal.
I think he was being funny, but Labron aint Tosh, for the reasons you say. Labron also left a second time the right way.
UCBerkGrad
calumnus said:

burritos said:

calumnus said:

flounder said:

True but Cleveland fans burned his jerseys and the owner wrote an epic and angry farewell letter to Lebron in Comic Sans font. Cleveland is a special place.
MoragaBear
Staff
Cleveland wouldn't have been nearly as hard on him without the prime time network tv special, with his "I'm taking my talents to Miami" announcement.
killa22
Nah

Clemson was gonna get their points no matter the DC.

Tua is overrated.
Bear19
calumnus said:

flounder said:

calumnus
killa22 said:

Nah

Tua is overrated.

I hate Tosh, but Tua Tagailova is great ("overrated" is relative) and Tosh does get credit for pulling him from Hawaii (probably by continuing to pretend the name Lupoi is Samoan or a Tongan instead of Italian).
going4roses
ok can we stop ... oh never mind
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
KenBurnski
calumnus said:

killa22 said:

Nah

Tua is overrated.

I hate Tosh, but Tua Tagailova is great ("overrated" is relative) and Tosh does get credit for pulling him from Hawaii (probably by continuing to pretend the name Lupoi is Samoan or a Tongan instead of Italian).

Hahahahahhahah. This whole time I thought he was Hawaiian. Was thinking it was a Steve Martin, The Jerk, kinda deal. Thanks for clearing this up.
BearSD
calumnus said:

killa22 said:

Nah

Tua is overrated.

Yup, Italian. Here's an old article:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6272961

Quote:

The giant produce truck chugged along California State Route 24, six days a week for more than four decades, from Walnut Creek to the marina in Oakland now known as Jack London Square. Tony Lupoi rarely left his market later than 4 a.m., and, in the early days -- long before grandson Tosh arrived in 1981 -- Tony ran every red light along North Broadway on the way out of town.

The cops never stopped him. They knew Tony and his truck. The man was an East Bay icon, a Depression-era Italian immigrant who settled in Pittsburgh and sold newspapers as a kid before moving west.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.