Swan is toast

5,975 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fyght4Cal
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe keeping an unpopular football coach isn't sufficient, but this is
blasphemous.

When the cheering stopped: USC's Song Girls shut out at home basketball games https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-dance-controversy-20190118-story.html
ColoradoBear
Oh the piped in music and dance force at basketball games. Bad Lynn Swann.

I bet no one would give a funk if SC made the CFB playoff though.
Fyght4Cal
Wow. I was wondering where the Song Girls were when Cal played the Trojans two weeks ago. I was actually stunned that they weren't there.

The Song Girls are old school. I guess the AD went with the new jack swing. Such is progress.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
UCBerkGrad
Removing hot chicks from sporting events (or any event) is always a bad idea.
dajo9
UCBerkGrad said:

Removing hot chicks from sporting events (or any event) is always a bad idea.

That's what TCU said
82gradDLSdad
UCBerkGrad said:

Removing hot chicks is always a bad idea.

Fify
CALiforniALUM
It's so clear that either Swan lost his auto booty-call privilege or the song girls no longer wanted to play hostess to visiting recruits.
MSaviolives
I am a little torn here. I loath the corporatization of the game experience. The game experience I grew up in will never return. Then, the experience was one of school spirit, which came organically from the band, cheer leaders, yell leaders, students and the crowd at large. Now, the experience is one of entertainment and advertising, which is doled out through a tightly scripted blur of announcements, recorded music, sponsored award ceremonies, contests, and videos--with periodic, scheduled interruptions for the band to play or the yell leaders to try to get a cheer out of the crowd. Like I said, I understand time marches on. So...get off my lawn or something.

But..... what happened to those talented and attractive young ladies who wore the sequined gold outfits? I saw them at both football and basketball games, and then they disappeared.
Bear19
My best friend from HS dated a u$c Song Girl. They came up for a Cal vs. $C game, and we had dinner together.She was stunning, absolutely gorgeous. The End.
auberge
MSaviolives said:

I am a little torn here. I loath the corporatization of the game experience. The game experience I grew up in will never return. Then, the experience was one of school spirit, which came organically from the band, cheer leaders, yell leaders, students and the crowd at large. Now, the experience is one of entertainment and advertising, which is doled out through a tightly scripted blur of announcements, recorded music, sponsored award ceremonies, contests, and videos--with periodic, scheduled interruptions for the band to play or the yell leaders to try to get a cheer out of the crowd. Like I said, I understand time marches on. So...get off my lawn or something.

But..... what happened to those talented and attractive young ladies who wore the sequined gold outfits? I saw them at both football and basketball games, and then they disappeared.
Well said. I also miss the school spirit and don't like the entertainment "game day experience," which is a major reason I gave up my season tickets three years ago after 26 years of CMS, rain or shine. I still root for the Bears but recognize that the rich get richer in today's college football Division 1 world, and we aren't rich.
Fyght4Cal
MSaviolives said:

Are you referring to the Bearettes? They are a self-organized student group, inspired by HBCU-style dance groups. They are not a part of the Cal Dance Team, Cheerleading, or the AD.

MSaviolives
Fyght4Cal said:

MSaviolives said:

Are you referring to the Bearettes? They are a self-organized student group, inspired by HBCU-style dance groups. They are not a part of the Cal Dance Team, Cheerleading, or the AD.

Yes! Go Bearettes! The cheer leaders and dance team are fine, but the Bearettes have elan.
TomBear
Geez, more "game day experience' b.s. And at $C?!?!?!?

Never liked Galen Center anyway. But this will make it even more sterile.

Look what's happened to the college game at our own football games. Piped in "music", advertising, piped in "music", promotions, piped in "music", ad infinitum. I renewed my season tickets this year. But I didn't do it happily, and will not do it again if this trend doesn't stop.
oski003
With no pics of the Song Girls, I don't even know what this thread is about.
Cal8285
IMO, the big question isn't whether this is just about more corporate promotions and ignoring tradition. The interesting question is whether Swann made his decision at least in part because some Song Girls were purported to have joined in a Fire Helton chant.

See, for instance, https://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/lynn-swann-ban-usc-song-girls-fire-helton-chants/481452 or just Google "USC Song Girls fire Helton" and you'll find plenty of discussion.

The timing of the decision does seem suspect. There had probably been discussions about what to do regarding the limited time for participation, but why not make that call over the summer, or a different time than right as basketball season is starting?

There is no smoking gun, but the circumstances don't make Swann look good here.
Fyght4Cal
Cal8285 said:

IMO, the big question isn't whether this is just about more corporate promotions and ignoring tradition. The interesting question is whether Swann made his decision at least in part because some Song Girls were purported to have joined in a Fire Helton chant.

See, for instance, https://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/lynn-swann-ban-usc-song-girls-fire-helton-chants/481452 or just Google "USC Song Girls fire Helton" and you'll find plenty of discussion.

The timing of the decision does seem suspect. There had probably been discussions about what to do regarding the limited time for participation, but why not make that call over the summer, or a different time than right as basketball season is starting?

There is no smoking gun, but the circumstances don't make Swann look good here.
If some Song Girls joined in a "Fire Helton" chant, that's not a good look. Certainly it would call for disciplining the offenders, at least. But, it may have provided an excuse for AD Swann to make a sweeping move he was already planning.
wifeisafurd
Song Girls is the tip (no pun intended) of the iceberg. You have billionaire trustees at war with each other.

Wealthy USC donors revolt after interim president pushes out top dean over handling of misconduct cases https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-usc-president-school-20181204-story.html
BearGoggles
wifeisafurd said:

Song Girls is the tip (no pun intended) of the iceberg. You have billionaire trustees at war with each other.

Wealthy USC donors revolt after interim president pushes out top dean over handling of misconduct cases https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-usc-president-school-20181204-story.html
Caruso is an interesting guy - very political and from what I know (limited) a difficult personality. Seems like he's trying to remake USC in his preferred image and trustees are not happy.
Another Bear
Bru McCoy, the #1 ATH prospect in the country just pulled his commitment to U$C and switched to Texass. If the. MD to $C pipeline dries up, that's a big deal. But alas, not song girl related...just sinking ship.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
OldenBear
screw $C, and Swann. Let's focus back on the Bearettes - loved 'em at basketball games, and that might be the best thing that COULD happen at Haas this year. Bring 'em back!
socaliganbear
OldenBear said:

screw $C, and Swann. Let's focus back on the Bearettes - loved 'em at basketball games, and that might be the best thing that COULD happen at Haas this year. Bring 'em back!
They're great.
Fyght4Cal
wifeisafurd said:

I believe these two issues are related. At USC, in 2019, the old way of doing business is over. Deans, doctors, and Song Girls alike must take actions that conform to the new realities, or find themselves on the outside looking in.

Oh, and yes, bring back the Bearettes!
Golden One
socaliganbear said:

OldenBear said:

They're great.
The Bearettes were at the Cal/Colorado basketball game tonight, in the bleachers at the south end of the court.
MSaviolives
Golden One said:

socaliganbear said:

OldenBear said:

They're great.
The Bearettes were at the Cal/Colorado basketball game tonight, in the bleachers at the south end of the court.
Dang! The one game I miss...
wifeisafurd
MSaviolives said:

Golden One said:

socaliganbear said:

OldenBear said:

They're great.
The Brearettes are the only reason to see a basketball game at Haas.
Fyght4Cal
wifeisafurd said:

MSaviolives said:

Golden One said:

socaliganbear said:

OldenBear said:

They're great.
The Brearettes are the only reason to see a basketball game at Haas.
A men's game, yes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.