Now there will be 5 Cal QB's to be Super Bowl QBs

3,236 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by southseasbear
TilWeWobble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can you name all 5? I don't think any other school can make this claim.
Golden One
TilWeWobble said:

Can you name all 5? I don't think any other school can make this claim.
Joe Kapp
Craig Morton
Vince Ferragamo
Aaron Rodgers
Jared Goff
dbush518
Gale Gilbert played in I believe all four of Bills' Super Bowls. though he was just the holder for place kicker.

And remember Marv Levy, who won eight games in four years at Cal, did reach SB four times as head coach.
KoreAmBear
dbush518 said:

Gale Gilbert played in I believe all four of Bills' Super Bowls. though he was just the holder for place kicker.

And remember Marv Levy, who won eight games in four years at Cal, did reach SB four times as head coach.
Was Gale Gilbert's son briefly on the Rams too? I pulled his autograph card from one of the packs with him as a Ram, and wasn't sure if that was him. Said went to Texas and transferred to SMU. Must be him.
ducky23
Has any other school had 3 qb super bowl winners?
ColoradoBear
ducky23 said:

Has any other school had 3 qb super bowl winners?

Schools with 3 winning Super Bowl starting QBs:

Alabama (Bart Starr, Joe Namath, Ken Stabler)
Purdue (Len Dawson, Bob Griese, Drew Brees)
bleu0
https://amp.businessinsider.com/super-bowl-quarterbacks-colleges-2019-1
okaydo
Does Ferragamo count as a Cal alum?
ColoradoBear
bleu0 said:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/super-bowl-quarterbacks-colleges-2019-1
Lol what's UCB?
Another Bear
Here's to Goff getting a couple of rings.,..so Cal can even up with Bama, and take the lead. Go Bears!
Peanut Gallery Consultant
71Bear
dbush518 said:

Gilbert is the only player in NFL history to play on five consecutive Super Bowl losing teams. Four with the Bills and one with the Chargers (the famed "get the monkey off my back" Steve Young-led win by SF).
run2win
Has Goff earned his degree?
joeroth12.com
X: @calgridiron
Facebook: California Gridiron
calumnus
okaydo said:

An alumnus (/lmns/ (masculine), an alumna (/lmn/ (feminine), or an alumnum (/lmnm/ (gender-neutral) of a college, university, or other school is a former student who has either attended or graduated in some fashion from the institution. The word is Latin and simply means student. The plural is alumni (/lmna/) for men and mixed groups and alumnae (/lmni/) for women. The term is not synonymous with "graduate"; one can be an alumnus without graduating. (Burt Reynolds, alumnus but not graduate of Florida State, is an example.) An alumnus can also be and is more recently expanded to include a former employee of an organization[1] and it may also apply to a former member, contributor, or inmate.[2][3]
wifeisafurd
dbush518 said:

Cal has had five starters and Gilbert who I believe was a holder and handed off for one set of downs. Cal has the most number fo starters.
okaydo
calumnus said:

okaydo said:

An alumnus (/lmns/ (masculine), an alumna (/lmn/ (feminine), or an alumnum (/lmnm/ (gender-neutral) of a college, university, or other school is a former student who has either attended or graduated in some fashion from the institution. The word is Latin and simply means student. The plural is alumni (/lmna/) for men and mixed groups and alumnae (/lmni/) for women. The term is not synonymous with "graduate"; one can be an alumnus without graduating. (Burt Reynolds, alumnus but not graduate of Florida State, is an example.) An alumnus can also be and is more recently expanded to include a former employee of an organization[1] and it may also apply to a former member, contributor, or inmate.[2][3]

Didn't the Houston Texans play on Wild Card weekend?

And isn't Brennan Scarlett on the Texans?

And didn't he graduate from Cal (unlike many of the "ProBears" touted by Cal's social media)?

Why doesn't he count as a Cal alum?

Yogi58
okaydo said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

And didn't he graduate from Cal (unlike many of the "ProBears" touted by Cal's social media)?

Because we disowned him
okaydo
Yogi Bear said:

okaydo said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

Because we disowned him

When a player transfers out, we usually disown them.

And it's tradiionally how it goes. You rep the last school you played for.

Why do we own Ferragamo and Herm Edwards?
Another Bear
okaydo said:

Yogi Bear said:

okaydo said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

Because we disowned him

Herm Edwards actually left Cal, then came back but ended up SDSU. Transfer rules were different then and I think were basically open. Ferragamo, similar deal, I don't know if he even sat out a year. Transferring wasn't the same back then. Also the list was "alumni", not graduates.

The thing about Scarlett was he transfer to an arch rival. Who TF does that? I'd guess very few or none. That deserves disownment.
okaydo
Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

Yogi Bear said:

okaydo said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

Because we disowned him

Herm Edwards actually left Cal, then came back but ended up SDSU. Transfer rules were different then and I think were basically open. Ferragamo, similar deal, I don't know if he even sat out a year. Transferring wasn't the same back then. Also the list was "alumni", not graduates.

The thing about Scarlett was he transfer to an arch rival. Who TF does that? I'd guess very few or none. That deserves disownment.

I can't think of any off the top of my head (Chris McCain? The Texas RB?). But don't we usually disown all are transfers, not just those that transfer to Stanford?

Also, everything Goff has been pictured with Goff, it doesn't mention that they are two Cal alums.

Another Bear
My take is people don't like transfers but now that's it's officially a THING with a portal...get use to it because there's nothing you can do about it. In any case, some people hate on all transfers, which now looks really dumb...but generally the majority take it with a grain of salt and "oh too bad...needed that guy". Going to your arch rival however just seems like a gut shot but then kids are looking at it like they probably should...as a business decision. Heck I can't blame Scarlett for transfer but I sure can talk some smack about his choice and Furd.
southseasbear
Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

Yogi Bear said:

okaydo said:

calumnus said:

okaydo said:

Because we disowned him

Edwards played as a freshman, then transferred to a JUCO, then back to Cal. Don't how if he had to sit out a year before going to SDSU (or how he avoided it if he didn't sit out) but the fact is he played two year for Cal and only one at SD St.

Ferragamo sat out a year while Bartkowski started at Cal, then played for Nebraska while Joe Roth was playing at Cal.

And you're right: transferring to Stanford is inexcusable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.