Wilcox Announces Staff Restructure

26,347 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rkt88edmo
Fyght4Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
B.A. Bearacus
Quick recap:

- Baldwin will now be QB coach in addition to OC
- Tui to TE
- Toler to WR
- Edwards to RB
sosheezy
So Beau still as OC, but working with QBs more hands on. Tui 'demoted' to TEs. Burl to WRs, his forte. Sirmon gets co-DC title, locking him in as DeRuyter's eventual replacement.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
So Baldwin is now QB coach. Is that an improvement?
packawana
Look, I'm all for staff continuity but this looks like Wilcox is trying to keep Edwards and Tui on staff.
Fyght4Cal
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

I see it as his last chance.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
bonsallbear
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

Maybe. Obviously Tui wasn't working.
fatmoon
This suck! They should fire everyone on offense except for Greatwood.
B.A. Bearacus
Please bring this woman to CMS.

Shoreline
What a letdown. Looks like it's just musical chairs with the Offensive coaches instead of bringing in some new talent.
calumnus
packawana said:

Look, I'm all for staff continuity but this looks like Wilcox is trying to keep Edwards and Tui on staff.

Edwards was the guy Baldwin brought from EWU he was a WR and has only coached WRs. I am glad Toler will get to coach WRs now, but I don't see how Edwards is any better as a RB coach than Toler? If Baldwin is going to be QB coach, he might as well have his guy as the WR coach. How is Edwards doing as a recruiter? I know he is from Tacoma and played and coached for EWU, but possibly he developed recruiting connections in California?

Tui brought in Modster, now he will be the TE coach? For an offense that doesn't utilize TEs much? Maybe he will focus on recruiting?

If Baldwin is also the QB coach does that mean he will go back to the sideline? Who will be in the booth?

Can't say this gives me much hope.
bearsandgiants
The chance of a good record next year is almost nil anyway. At least this gives us either an out or a pleasant surprise.
socaliganbear
Wilcox owns this offensive ****show now.
tequila4kapp
This is underwhelming. This HAS to be the last chance before massive changes are made.

I supppose anything that gets Tui away from our QBs has to be a good thing, but o really I can't say this is an especially promising series of changes.
calumnus
bearsandgiants said:

The chance of a good record next year is almost nil anyway. At least this gives us either an out or a pleasant surprise.

Gives us an "out"? How is that of any value? If Wilcox has to bring in new offensive coaches in year 4, how many years will they have the excuse of "needing to bring in their guys"?
bear2034
B.A. Bearacus said:

Please bring this woman to CMS.

Kondo: Does the offense bring you joy?
Wilcox: Um, no.
Kondo: Then throw it out.
Wilcox: And replace it with what?
Kondo: That ain't my problem, bruh!
510 Bear
Well, in a best-case scenario (which depends on the assumptions that Beau is good at coaching QBs AND Edwards is good at recruiting), this might be good:
* Tui no longer coaching QBs - Beau could be an upgrade there
* Toler coaching WRs is for sure better
* RB coaching might not improve, but if Edwards is becoming a key recruiter, it could be worth it for him to stay here. It's not like Ron Gould is not walking back through that door.
* Beau has a buyout, so replacing him as OC would be costly. He has to know he has one more chance to prove himself and will surely make some changes.
golden sloth
Thoughts:
1. Isn't it typical for the OC to be the QB coach? That's how it was with Franklin and Spavital, and makes sense considering they are the two most responsible for running the offense.
2. What happens to Charlie Ragle? Is he focusing solely on special teams because of the poor play of the TEs, or do they want him to focus more on recruiting?
3. The Toler switch makes sense but definitely benefits him over Edwards, and it seems like Wilcox is valuing him more than Edwardss.
4. Definite demotion for Tui.
5. With exception to the Baldwin / QB coach switch, it seems like Wilcox is hoping merely different personalities can get more out of the different groups. Personally, I don't have a lot of confidence in that.
calumnus
510 Bear said:

Well, in a best-case scenario (which depends on the assumptions that Beau is good at coaching QBs AND Edwards is good at recruiting), this might be good:
* Tui no longer coaching QBs - Beau could be an upgrade there
* Toler coaching WRs is for sure better
* RB coaching might not improve, but if Edwards is becoming a key recruiter, it could be worth it for him to stay here. It's not like Ron Gould is not walking back through that door.
* Beau has a buyout, so replacing him as OC would be costly. He has to know he has one more chance to prove himself and will surely make some changes.

I know there are those who think we want Cal guys too much, but this is one where there is an opportunity.
There are a bunch of guys that have Cal/California or Texas roots that are coaches and would be great at the RB spot rather than a WR coach from Tacoma. Russell White? Justin Forsett? Imagine Marshawn as a RB coach and recruiter?
01Bear
Deck chairs, Titanic, something, something...
Another Bear
I'm okay with this. Not ideal but reasonable before you blow everything up next season (if need be), especially given the talent deficit. If talent was up to snuff, no injuries, etc., yeah...clean house it's coaching. But there was some issue on talent.

I could see getting a new QB coach but BB would have to agree...and who? See that's the question, who would you have replace any of those guys? In any case, either the offense gets better or this is the last year with this group. Wilcox got an extension.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
B.A. Bearacus
Bobodeluxe
CaliforniaEternal
Reaction to headline: Great!

Reaction after reading details: You announce a staff restructuring without any change in personnel? ***? We all knew BB was coming back when he wasn't fired after the season so there's no need to put out some fake PR acting like things will be different.
touchdownbears43
Jesus he put Edwards to coach our RBs - that's like asking someone to guest lecture in a subject they know nothing about. Yikes.
nwbear84
The only encouraging thing I see here is Tui out as QB coach. He wasn't a great QB at UW. Never really impressed me much with his passing ability. He was OK scrambling and running. Sound familiar?

Addition by subtraction? We will see.

XXXBEAR
Tired of the doom and gloom...

Ok is it possible negabears that Wilcox noted the injuries, flameout/weaknesses at QB ( as well as coaching deficiencies) and just made the fine tuning adjustments (including bringing in Modster and WR help) that will make this car run better? He kept Tui because he recruited Modster. With a terrific defense next year, these may be just the changes we need.
Another Bear
Seriously, the whoa be us stuff is getting OLD and tired. Things are not perfect but Wilcox has Cal headed in the right direction. Agree that upgrading talent, returning injured players and transfers might do it along with Cal's stellar defense.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
StillNoStanfurdium
touchdownbears43 said:

Jesus he put Edwards to coach our RBs - that's like asking someone to guest lecture in a subject they know nothing about. Yikes.
Yeah Toler to coach WRs seems okay but Edwards' entire history (including as a player under Baldwin) has been as a Wide Receiver save for his first year in strength and conditioning.
KenBurnski
yesssssssssssssss. 1-10 read option handoff to RB1 for zero yards is BACK baby!
okaydo
Cal Strong! thinks Wilcox strong not listening to internet mob.
B.A. Bearacus
southseasbear
I suspect some of these moves are interim measures and that some of the coaches who were moved will leave before the season begins. Instead of firing one or two of them, they are being temporarily reassigned pending their finding other work.
Big C
And the tea leaves say:

Tui and Edwards are diplomatically fired: They will be circulating their resumes.

Baldwin:

1. Wilcox sincerely believes BB can do better, with better personnel. Or...
2. Wilcox doesn't have the $$$ to buy him out. And / Or...
2a. Wilcox believes in "loyalty" too much to let him go (euphemistically stated)
calumnus
nwbear84 said:

The only encouraging thing I see here is Tui out as QB coach. He wasn't a great QB at UW. Never really impressed me much with his passing ability. He was OK scrambling and running. Sound familiar?

Addition by subtraction? We will see.

So you think Baldwin's quarterbacking at Central Washington U (as the back up his last two years) exceeds that of a guy who lead UW to 11-1 and a Rose Bowl victory as MVP defeating Drew Brees? Then spent 8 years in the NFL?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.