Super Bowl QB U?

7,607 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Calcoholic
Calcupcakes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.businessinsider.com/super-bowl-quarterbacks-colleges-2019-1

This makes me cry. Not even a Rose Bowl to show for.
Big C
What's worse, on the map, they listed us as "UCB"!
okaydo
bearister
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/31/draft-bust-super-bowl-qb-two-years-jared-goff-always-keeps-his-cool/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fa5acf88ef2f
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
bearister said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/31/draft-bust-super-bowl-qb-two-years-jared-goff-always-keeps-his-cool/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fa5acf88ef2f

Fantastic article.

What's funny is the "Bust Truthers." When people post articles like the one below, you here people say, "What? I don't recall anybody labeling Goff a bust."

I mean, you could easily Google the bust talk. After all, it was just 16 months ago that Goff didn't really started looking good for the first time.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2817291-once-thought-a-bust-jared-goff-changing-a-lot-of-nfl-minds-with-super-bowl-run
sketchy9
bearister said:

"At Cal, for the first time, Goff needed to prove he could remain similarly poised in the face of failure.

'That made him who he is today,' said Jerry Goff. 'He never experienced anything like that. To feel that sense of what it's like to be bad is something that you need to know.'"

The real benefit to our players of a Cal education lol.
okaydo
bearister said:

Washington Post, September 2016 (different author):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/09/15/keyshawn-johnson-says-jared-goff-was-forced-on-jeff-fisher/

okaydo

MilleniaBear
We need some more W's for our SB starting QBs. Jared needs to join AR; Morton, Kapp, and Ferragamo got L's.
bearister
My first impressions of Goff after his first couple of games at Cal: How does this kid throw bombs on the money with virtually no protection.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bear2034
5 appearances and 1 victory is misleading. Goff hasn't even played yet and they're counting it as an appearance.
ncbears
From the article posted by the OP:
SmellinRoses
That great Post article says Goff was "overlooked" as a high school recruit. IIRC he was a consensus 4 star and got offers from major programs (ALA?)...not true.
Bear8
I have as much right to evaluate a quarterback as Keyshawn Johnson. I don't recall ever seeing Johnson throw and complete a pass into a tight window while the receiver is covered by two DBs. Goff has. Four NFL teams concluded Keyshawn was dispensable and he was traded three times. And this "bust" talk really pisses me off. They put a 21 year old rookie QB in the lineup after the team has already lost a score of games and expect him to be Moses in Cleats, ready to lead the failing Rams out of the wilderness to the Promised Land. He has poor protection, didn't have all the reps that Keenum had, his QB coach is a misfit and the offensive strategy sucks. What do they expect to happen?

In comes McVay and the world finally sees just how good this blond kid, who stands 6'4" and throws as accurate a pass as Tom Brady, who is 15 + years his senior and has several SuperBowls in his pocket. Sometimes sports reporters are just plain morons (specifically excluded are the writers for BI).

Now the sports media has fallen in love with Patrick Mahomes. Or, as I like to see it, anyone but a guy from Cal. The bias against us is maddening.
okaydo
SmellinRoses said:

That great Post article says Goff was "overlooked" as a high school recruit. IIRC he was a consensus 4 star and got offers from major programs (ALA?)...not true.

Alabama!? Wait -- many articles I've read about Goff list his offers as not that intersting. I think Wazzu was the biggest.
okaydo
Bear8 said:

I have as much right to evaluate a quarterback as Keyshawn Johnson. I don't recall ever seeing Johnson throw and complete a pass into a tight window while the receiver is covered by two DBs. Goff has. Four NFL teams concluded Keyshawn was dispensable and he was traded three times. And this "bust" talk really pisses me off. They put a 21 year old rookie QB in the lineup after the team has already lost a score of games and expect him to be Moses in Cleats, ready to lead the failing Rams out of the wilderness to the Promised Land. He has poor protection, didn't have all the reps that Keenum had, his QB coach is a misfit and the offensive strategy sucks. What do they expect to happen?

In comes McVay and the world finally sees just how good this blond kid, who stands 6'4" and throws as accurate a pass as Tom Brady, who is 15 + years his senior and has several SuperBowls in his pocket. Sometimes sports reporters are just plain morons (specifically excluded are the writers for BI).

Now the sports media has fallen in love with Patrick Mahomes. Or, as I like to see it, anyone but a guy from Cal. The bias against us is maddening.

I get it. Pat Mahomes is scary and impressive.

I think this podcast (I think it's at the 9-minute mark) explains why a lot of people don't buy Goff.

I think it's the way he looks. I think people think he doesn't look the part. He looks too skinny. His arms don't look like he has a "big arm." He doesn't look like a leader of men. He looks like a 15 year old in a helmet. Thanks to Hard Knocks, he seems like a moron. He doesn't look like he has passion for the game.

But:

--He actually isn't that skinny compared to Tom Brady (see my Tom Brady thread).
--He does have a big arm and can make all the throws.
--He has the interpersonal skills to be a leader. He's not full of himself. That's why he's close to Marcus Peters, Aqib Talibb and Aaron Donald.
--He is smart (if you actually listen to lenghty interviews with him)...also, the biggest lesson I learned from working in 2 UC Berkeley dorms, is that a a lot of very smart people can come off as total morons. (see: Elon Musk).

This is Carson Wentz after he threw an inteception in the Superdome. Goff would never do that. He's even-keeled. Which can be frustrating when the team sucks and the QB doesn't look like he's emotional.

I hate the Eli Manning comparison. But, yeah, he reminds me of Eli Manning in his nonchalantness. But those kind of traits are what enabled Goff to excel in the noise of the Superdome and hopefully in the pressure dome of the Super Bowl.

okaydo
This article that came out in August 2017 -- which I recently read -- is the definitive profile of Goff. I urge you to read it.

It tells the story about how pissed he was after losing the Big Game when the players went to frat parties. There's lots of good stuff in here.

(Tyler Dunne used to cover Rodgers and the Packers a few years back for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.)

CALiforniALUM
If it's true that Goff didn't get many offers it was probably because he was known to be a legacy commit to Cal.
calumnus
okaydo said:

SmellinRoses said:

Alabama!? Wait -- many articles I've read about Goff list his offers as not that intersting. I think Wazzu was the biggest.

His recruiting profile shows offers from Cal, Boise State and Washington State, with visits to Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA and USC but no offers from any of those schools.

He grew up a Cal fan, both his parents went to Cal and he was a spread QB from Marin Catholic. He committed to Cal early and recommitted early after the coaching change and worked to keep the class together and recruit more players. So a combination of all the above might have kept other schools away.
okaydo
calumnus said:

okaydo said:

SmellinRoses said:

His recruiting profile shows offers from Cal, Boise State and Washington State, with visits to Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA and USC but no offers from any of those schools.

He grew up a Cal fan, both his parents went to Cal and he was a spread QB from Marin Catholic. He committed to Cal early and recommitted early after the coaching change and worked to keep the class together and recruit more players. So a combination of all the above might have kept other schools away.

2 questions that I've been trying to ask: Was Cal a spread team when Tedford recruited him? Was Goff a spread QB or pro-style? I'm confused. Because he was perfect for Sonny Dykes/Tony Franklin's system, but he wasn't recruited for that system.
Yogi58
okaydo said:

2 questions that I've been trying to ask: Was Cal a spread team when Tedford recruited him? Was Goff a spread QB or pro-style? I'm confused. Because he was perfect for Sonny Dykes/Tony Franklin's system, but he wasn't recruited for that system.
Marin Catholic ran a Tony Franklin type spread, so it was a natural adjustment for him.
calumnus
Yogi Bear said:

okaydo said:

Marin Catholic ran a Tony Franklin type spread, so it was a natural adjustment for him.

Yes. And to answer the other part of the question, we were running the "Ted Spread" previously, though like Baldwin's offense, Tedford called it "multiple." Riley, Mansion, Maynard and Bridgford mostly operated out of the shotgun with a single back (like Sofele) and no TEs.
Another Bear
People think Goff is slight and because he's low key they assume he doesn't have the fire. (Compare that to the usual first overall pick.) The slight thing is ironic and goofy because Goff and Brady have similar bodies, look like big league pitchers, tall, lean and both make flinging the ball look easy. Their height give them an advantage with leverage. Not being bulked out makes them more flexible. Brady and his trainer get into this. Joe Montana also wasn't bulked out. For Goff however I think it's the low key California kid.

In any case, pulling for Goff to grab a couple of rings to even things up.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
Another Bear
LA Times: Jared Goff is fifth Cal quarterback to start in a Super Bowl, tops from college ranks

Here's some recruiting fodder for SoCal talent.
Another Bear
wifeisafurd
Just wish Cal presently had the passing offense to take advantage of this super bowl record with recruits.
okaydo

okaydo

okaydo
Dykes breaks down Goff

StillNoStanfurdium
SmellinRoses said:

He was a 4-star, but I think you're mixing up the ALA offer with Austin Hinder who was a 3-star recruit but had the ALA offer.
okaydo
okaydo
okaydo
Adding what I wrote upthread:

That's what the media gets wrong when they say Goff is an easily replaceable product of the system. It's him as a teammate...it's his ability to lead in a different way than your fiery leader....I urge you to read on...

okaydo

okaydo

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.