Goff Thinks It's the Cheez-It Bowl.

2,934 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Another Bear
Bear19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Beau Baldwin must have supplied special coaching for Goff.
calpoly
Bear19 said:

Beau Baldwin must have supplied special coaching for Goff.
Way to support our QB.
NVBear78
Geez yeah, all those guys running wide open and running backs making big yardage, not!
Bear19
Goff is a great guy and represents Cal well. In the SB, he was outmatched & overwhelmed by the Patriots defense.
golden sloth
Bear19 said:

Good is a great guy and represents Cal well. In the SB, he was outmatched & overwhelmed by the Patriots defense.
This is a pretty dumb take, the whole Rams offense was outmatched and overwhelmed, and McVay got his ass handed to him by Belicheat.
Another Bear
It was a defensive match up and the Rams actually held the Pats in check. Look, the Pats have the GOAT QB and they scored 13 points? Goff got hammered but there was a dropped TD pass. Also the Belichick defense is not JV, like duh.

As for defense and this looking like Cal...that means Cal is on the right track. Defense wins championships and the Pat proved it. Rams D was right there as well.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
Bear19
No one can realistically claim the Goff played well during the SB. He simply did not. His interception in the 4th Q essentially end the game.

McVey admitted openly that he was "out coached." Agree with comments about that.

The similarities to the Cheez-its Bowl are striking. Great defense that ultimately tires out due to repeated 3 & outs by the offense. Doesn't mean much, I know.

I've always defended Goff's play, but this season he's been exposed as a straight drop back passer when not throwing off play action that the defense is biting on. His QBR drops 50 points when he's dropping back.

He'll have to fix that if he's to be considered a true NFL franchise QB.
Bear19
Good articles explaining the opportunities Goff missed, and how the Pats defence got the better of Goff & McVey:

https://deadspin.com/jared-goff-blew-it-1832331726

https://deadspin.com/how-the-patriots-defense-put-the-rams-in-a-trash-can-1832326941
Another Bear
Belichick gamed McVay the whole season. He texted McVay after every game..in a nice way. Real pals, softened him up. Supposedly it was coaching fraternity stuff. I call it long term poker...and the young took the bait. Too nice of a kid and should have realized Belichick does not do that sh*t for kicks.

If McVay wants to win it all has to cut that off and get mean.
Bobodeluxe
Gawd, who cares?
okaydo
Another Bear said:

Belichick gamed McVay the whole season. He texted McVay after every game..in a nice way. Real pals, softened him up. Supposedly it was coaching fraternity stuff. I call it long term poker...and the young took the bait. Too nice of a kid and should have realized Belichick does not do that sh*t for kicks.

If McVay wants to win it all has to cut that off and get mean.
One weird thing about the run-up to the Super Bowl was how something could be overblown. I think Peter King or some prominent member of the media first reported that they were texting buddies, but they could only cite one text conversation -- Belichick texting McVay after the Rams' Vikings game.

Then when McVay was asked about it on media day, both alone and with Belichick standing next to him, he said the story was overblown. And that it had happened just once.

(I'm basing this on my memory.)

Anyways, McVay and Belichick first formed a relationship last spring, when the Rams let McVay negotiate with Belichick over the Brandin Cooks trade.

The point is I don't think they were cuddly friends, or anything.
westcoast101
Unfortunately, Goff was really bad, but McVay's poor coaching was a major factor in the game too.
Another Bear
Bobodeluxe said:

Gawd, who cares?
Apparently anyone who post craps...like you. D'oh! Otherwise, Niners fan?
Another Bear
Okay fair enough. I didn't read or watch much pre-game hype from the week before...but I caught that and it was weird, like really who does that? Also didn't watch any of the pre-game, didn't watch the halftime show.
okaydo
Another Bear said:

Okay fair enough. I didn't read or watch much pre-game hype from the week before...but I caught that and it was weird, like really who does that? Also didn't watch any of the pre-game, didn't watch the halftime show.

It's weird to say: But I really wished Goff wasn't in the Super Bowl. The "big game" is supposed to be a time to kick back, enjoy and not have a serious rooting interest. But him being involved made me a nervous wreck. And then the worst thing happened. Oh, well. I was okay after the game. I wasn't devastated. Not really sad or anything. But I've avoided sports Twitter since kickoff (and it's felt good).

I follow the team closely. Very closely. But I own nothing with the Rams on it. (I considered buying a Goff bobblehead, but I decided to limit my bobblehead collection to Cal.)

In fact, this is the only Rams thing I've ever purchased:

calgo430
boring football.don't know which was uglier - the cheeze it bowl or the super bowl
Another Bear
Rams left LA once before and to me it was like a break up with a GF...don't look back for your own sake. Can't control anything. Didn't follow them in St. Louis, didn't pick another NFL team. Since they've been back...took a stand-off-ish view the first couple of years and that was easy because they were terrible but yes, I liked seeing Goff do well. This season I started to pay attention and follow them...but with some "ironic detachment"...and reservation. When Goff started doing well...I bought a cheap seat bandwagon ticket.

In any case, I find it funny the Niner's fans angst following Goff and having to follow the Rams. I give the old school guys who didn't even watch (71 Bear?). I get that and respect because while I liked guys like Doug Brien do well...never watched a game because of him. I never watched the Niners in their 80s/early 90s hey day but I was at Cal at the time and there was other stuff to do.

Of course hating the Niners is easy because of the strong Furd connection. John Lynch is easy to hate, he looks like a corp criminal from central casting. Walsh...he was only Furd adjacent, coached at Cal was a SJSU alum. lMooch was only Cal adjacent. And the Niners made it easy by rarely drafting a Cal guy. I think Andre Carter was one...but he was at a different level with a NFL dad. That was an easy pick.

Old school Niners fans can suck a rock...the Niners fans who followed Goff despite the Rams things, can suck two rocks...and a banana.

Any way to the Niners fans...how's those guys doing? Where's Harbaugh? With the York in charge, they're going to suck for a while.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.