LOI day

12,164 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheSouseFamily
Rushinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

when is loi day for fb? do we have anyone who might commit? Week ago or so, someone suggested that good news is coming.
petalumabear
This Wednesday, February 6th.
82gradDLSdad
Rushinbear said:

when is loi day for fb? do we have anyone who might commit? Week ago or so, someone suggested that good news is coming.

Apparently not from either of these two local recruits. Did they not get the memo that we are the new LBU and the reigning Super Bowl QBU?

... Menlo-Atherton senior inside linebacker Daniel Heimuli, coming off a defensive MVP award at the Polynesian Bowl, is in the middle of his last recruiting trip this weekend at Alabama. Heimuli's other finalists are Washington, Oregon, UCLA and Utah. The Bay Area's top recruit, De La Salle linebacker Henry To'oto'o, announced he will make his final choice Wednesday. The state's No. 8 recruit overall said his finalists are Alabama, Tennessee, Washington, Utah and Oregon.
calgo430
i think we need athletes with speed
joe amos yaks
...speed and separation moves.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Rushinbear
82gradDLSdad said:

Rushinbear said:

Apparently not from either of these two local recruits. Did they not get the memo that we are the new LBU and the reigning Super Bowl QBU?

... Menlo-Atherton senior inside linebacker Daniel Heimuli, coming off a defensive MVP award at the Polynesian Bowl, is in the middle of his last recruiting trip this weekend at Alabama. Heimuli's other finalists are Washington, Oregon, UCLA and Utah. The Bay Area's top recruit, De La Salle linebacker Henry To'oto'o, announced he will make his final choice Wednesday. The state's No. 8 recruit overall said his finalists are Alabama, Tennessee, Washington, Utah and Oregon.
As is the case with the vast majority of years, long lists of top prospects are shown as having some level of interest in Cal, perhaps merely because we offered them and they acknowledged the offer...only to have the vast, vast majority of them go elsewhere.

I've gotten to the point of ignoring the lists and just waiting until LOI day to see who we got. Why get my hopes up with speculation? Who am I kidding? But, it's still disappointing.
packawana
Did we just lose one of our WR commits? What's going on???
Bobodeluxe
packawana said:

Checks bounced.
82gradDLSdad
packawana said:

Very, very few want to play in this offense with these coaches. It's why so many of us were astonished by the rearrangement rather than a dismantling.
DCW67MSW
Cal isn't an easy school & heard this guy had a tough semester at his JC. Better to know early than have to leave school.
AunBear89
82gradDLSdad said:

packawana said:

Very, very few want to play in this offense with these coaches. It's why so many of us were astonished by the rearrangement rather than a dismantling.
How many of them have told you this or you have read that they gave this as their reason?

OR, are you just wildly speculating because you are mad and you need a narrative to justify your anger and dislike for the coaches?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
82gradDLSdad
AunBear89 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

packawana said:

How many of them have told you this or you have read that they gave this as their reason?

OR, are you just wildly speculating because you are mad and you need a narrative to justify your anger and dislike for the coaches?

Oh brother. Look at the offensive players we have recruited. We need them. They didn't come. Third year. I'm sure there are hundreds of reasons. I mentioned two of them.
Yogi58
82gradDLSdad said:

packawana said:

Apparently, the staff seems oblivious to this reality.

If we have a third straight bad year offensively, either the offensive braintrust goes or Wilcox is gonna have to go with it. And nobody wants that.
heartofthebear
The hype about tomorrow is deafening.
BearlyCareAnymore
Yogi Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

packawana said:

If we have a third straight bad year offensively, either the offensive braintrust goes or Wilcox is gonna have to go with it. And nobody wants that.
We've had one year of bad quarterbacking and one year of atrocious quarterbacking. It is plausible to argue that is the problem. Modster has been a competent QB. If he comes in and is bad or atrocious, making him the 4th bad or atrocious QB when he wasn't bad at UCLA, the argument is no longer plausible. If he is competent and the offense can't reach at least serviceable, the argument is no longer plausible.

If we weren't going to change offensive personnel, making Baldwin QB coach at least brings the issue to a head. You can't blame the offense on QB play if you are the QB coach.
calumnus
OaktownBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

packawana said:

We've had one year of bad quarterbacking and one year of atrocious quarterbacking. It is plausible to argue that is the problem. Modster has been a competent QB. If he comes in and is bad or atrocious, making him the 4th bad or atrocious QB when he wasn't bad at UCLA, the argument is no longer plausible. If he is competent and the offense can't reach at least serviceable, the argument is no longer plausible.

If we weren't going to change offensive personnel, making Baldwin QB coach at least brings the issue to a head. You can't blame the offense on QB play if you are the QB coach.

Modster will be the 5th

Bowers
Garbers
McIlwain
Forrest
Yogi58
OaktownBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

We've had one year of bad quarterbacking and one year of atrocious quarterbacking. It is plausible to argue that is the problem.
IMO, that is a chicken or egg question. Do we have four bad starting QB's or a bad offensive coordinator and former QB coach? If we're asking that same question after next year, then there is no longer a question.

Quote:

Modster has been a competent QB. If he comes in and is bad or atrocious, making him the 4th bad or atrocious QB when he wasn't bad at UCLA, the argument is no longer plausible. If he is competent and the offense can't reach at least serviceable, the argument is no longer plausible.

I think having the coordinator be the QB coach is just fine if you like your offensive coordinator. I've rooted for good offensive teams with no separate QB coach and with a QB coach and there is no consistent pattern I've seen of one being better than the other.
Rushinbear
calumnus said:

OaktownBear said:

Yogi Bear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

packawana said:

Modster will be the 5th

Bowers
Garbers
McIlwain
Forrest
Not one of 'em has had a gun. In BB's O you need a good athlete WITH a gun. Garbers is closest. We'll see about Modster. He and Garbers will fight it out. Brasch may figure in in the second half of the season.
golden sloth
I know we aren't due for any big and pleasant surprises, but is there any chance at one or two more recruits signing today to fill out the roster?
joe amos yaks
Let the signing begin . . . ~
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
hotlanta
Has De la Salle's Isaiah Foskey committed anywhere yet?
wifeisafurd
golden sloth said:

I know we aren't due for any big and pleasant surprises, but is there any chance at one or two more recruits signing today to fill out the roster?
You have to wonder why Cal is not closing on any of the local defensive recruits. That side of the ball has proven P5 coaching and players.
Bobodeluxe
I blame Buh.
heartofthebear
I keep ready this thread title as LOL day.
Freudian slip of the eyes I guess.
KoreAmBear
Seems like more like LOL Day.

I guess the early LOI day is the new Feb. LOI day.
going4roses
Can't any longer I think this goes on the other guy with name that starts with B lol
going4roses
For the most part/ teams . ______ is also done with their class.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

golden sloth said:

You have to wonder why Cal is not closing on any of the local defensive recruits. That side of the ball has proven P5 coaching and players.

Well done, wifes.....
packawana
So I'm guessing we're not getting anyone today?
BearSD
OaktownBear said:

Serviceable is going to be the ceiling for the Cal offense until/unless better talent is recruited.

You can and should coach 'em up, but ... If you're going to win big with "less heralded recruits", you have to discover players with tons of talent who were overlooked by others, can't just take players who were accurately "less heralded" and turn them into Rodgers/Goff/etc.

golden sloth
BearSD said:

OaktownBear said:

Serviceable is going to be the ceiling for the Cal offense until/unless better talent is recruited.

You can and should coach 'em up, but ... If you're going to win big with "less heralded recruits", you have to discover players with tons of talent who were overlooked by others, can't just take players who were accurately "less heralded" and turn them into Rodgers/Goff/etc.

Or you need to coach the players you do have so they play at a level at or near their potential (which also has not been happening).
BearSD
golden sloth said:

BearSD said:

OaktownBear said:

Or you need to coach the players you do have so they play at a level at or near their potential (which also has not been happening).
It's both. But don't overestimate the potential of the QBs on the current roster. None of them would be even close to the level of Rodgers or Goff even if you gave them the best coaching in the history of college football.

Which, again, means that we can't escape the need to do better in recruiting.
calbear80
Today is the first Wednesday of February. Is there any news at all about the LOIs? Did we sign anyone in addition to the December signees? There is nothing on the Cal Athletics website or here.

I remember the good old days (Tedford years) when the second Wednesday of February was one of the most exciting days of the year for Cal fans. I still clearly remember exactly where I was when I received the news of signing of DeSean Jackson (LB Poly HS) over USC (I was in South LA around 6 PM) and Chris Conte (out of Loyola HS) over UCLA (I was in Monterey around 8 AM) among many others. Hoping for some good news today.

Go Bears!
TheSouseFamily
wifeisafurd said:

golden sloth said:

In fairness, Wife, it's not just us. Of the top 20 HS recruits from CA, all but 4 of them left the state. The SEC schools got more CA recruits than the CA schools got.
BearSD
TheSouseFamily said:

wifeisafurd said:

golden sloth said:

In fairness, Wife, it's not just us. Of the top 20 HS recruits from CA, all but 4 of them left the state. The SEC schools got more CA recruits than the CA schools got.
Washington got 9 of the top 50 California HS players, according to this:

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.