Another decommitment - WR Jawaun Johnson

8,224 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oski87
travelingbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not good... can someone help us fans understand WTH is going on?
Bear19
Unfortunately, this is a continuation of the disturbing trend for RBs & WRs we've seen since Wilcox & Baldwin took over.
B.A. Bearacus
I don't see a trend at all -- unless he was the fastest person on our team, then yes, that's a thing now.
Econ141
We should get Gerald Alexander to lead both WRs and CBs.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
KoreAmBear
B.A. Bearacus said:

I don't see a trend at all -- unless he was the fastest person on our team, then yes, that's a thing now.
LOL.

Another Bear
Every school is experiencing this. Welcome to the CFB transfer era
Peanut Gallery Consultant
Big C
Two other transfer WRs (Clark and Crawford) more highly regarded. If one of them wants out, I'll be more worried.
Bobodeluxe
Grades, or afraid to compete?
Jackieridgle
travelingbears said:

Not good... can someone help us fans understand WTH is going on?

Who else decommitted?
StarsDoMatter
Another Bear said:

SERIOUSLY?

Noa just transferred. JC WR commits are decommitting. Literally, nobody wants to play offense here.

*** is going on?! No, this is not normal.

Right now we have Duncan, Nikko, and Hawkings. THAT. IS. IT.

I never thought I would say this, but Wilcox and staff are WORSE on offense, then Dykes and staff were on defense.

Enough is enough.
Another Bear
Yes seriously. I don't like it but the NCAA had to do something about FB players wanting to be paid, unionized, etc. This seems like a move to quell some of that. And yes, look at the top program, they're even having a bunch of transfers. U$C I believe has more transfers than Cal.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
calumnus
Bear19 said:

Unfortunately, this is a continuation of the disturbing trend for RBs & WRs we've seen since Wilcox & Baldwin took over.

The roster was loaded with (seemingly too many) young WRs and RBs in 2016. Since then roughly 30 (by my count) offensive skill position players left who had eligibility remaining. That ranges from 4-5 stars to walk-ons. That does not count decommits. That does not count the offensive skill position players that switched to defense. The roster is now loaded with LBs.

From the PAC-12's worst offense we lose our top 4 in receiving yards (Wharton, Ways, Noa and Laird) and 5 of 7 players with more than 100 yards receiving.

We don't have obvious replacements and are putting a lot of faith in newcomers who are not particularly highly rated to start and make a vast improvement over the guys who left.
golden sloth
Although I find the rash of players leaving disconcerting (and I've said as much on this board), this seems to be a unique case as he hasn't even practiced yet. He signed his LOI and is now not coming, due to this I think something there are some mitigating factors behind the scenes. I don't know why a player would change his mind in a little over a month, having not set foot on campus and having practiced with the coaches.
Blueblood
You don't think we're all going to be a'sayin' "Goodbye Wilcox" very soon now, do you?
NVBear78
Let's be respectful but this is pretty likely a case of a JC transfer not qualifying academically at Cal. That being said we need more receivers and I sure hope more are coming and ready to play. Don't think that the Ways transfer was announced until last summer so there is time left.
71Bear
calumnus said:

Bear19 said:

The roster was loaded with (seemingly too many) young WRs and RBs in 2016. Since then roughly 30 (by my count) offensive skill position players left who had eligibility remaining. That ranges from 4-5 stars to walk-ons. That does not count decommits. That does not count the offensive skill position players that switched to defense. The roster is now loaded with LBs.

From the PAC-12's worst offense we lose our top 4 in receiving yards (Wharton, Ways, Noa and Laird) and 5 of 7 players with more than 100 yards receiving.

We don't have obvious replacements and are putting a lot of faith in newcomers who are not particularly highly rated to start and make a vast improvement over the guys who left.
30???

Are you serious or is this hyperbole?

I'm not suggesting you are nuts; however, I think a list of names would be helpful to determine the veracity of your claim.
OdontoBear66
NVBear78 said:

Let's be respectful but this is pretty likely a case of a JC transfer not qualifying academically at Cal. That being said we need more receivers and I sure hope more are coming and ready to play. Don't think that the Ways transfer was announced until last summer so there is time left.
Wake up and realize the posts above chronicle multiple players at the RB/WR position leaving. Counter if you can? Not one with academics. Multiple. Why? Oh yeh, each has some really tear jerking excuse. Sorry. No.
calumnus
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

Bear19 said:

30???

I'm not suggesting you are nuts; however, I think a list of names would be helpful to determine the veracity of your claim.

People more knowledgeable than me can correct, but here is what I was looking at:

WR Stoval
WR Echols
RB Watson
WR Robertson
WR Noa
WR Bankhead
WR Veasy
WR Singleton
WR Austin
RB Clark
RB McCrary
WR Peterson
TE Emesibe
FB Kapp
WR Gamble
WR Kobayashi
WR Dunn
TE Hinnant
WR Locklin
TE Wells
WR Laris
RB Ali-Walsh
WR Philip
WR Cardwell
WR T. Johnson
TE Howard
QB Bowers
QB Viramontes
QB Gilliam
WR J. Johnson

Others:
TE Moos to OLB
WR Hansen to NFL
WR Wharton "left team" last game

I am sure there are errors in the above, and it clearly includes walk-ons and guys everyone is convinced would never contribute.
Yogi58
Big C said:

Two other transfer WRs (Clark and Crawford) more highly regarded. If one of them wants out, I'll be more worried.
Crawford got passed over for playing time at Michigan due to bad hands.
Yogi58
golden sloth said:

Although I find the rash of players leaving disconcerting (and I've said as much on this board), this seems to be a unique case as he hasn't even practiced yet. He signed his LOI and is now not coming, due to this I think something there are some mitigating factors behind the scenes. I don't know why a player would change his mind in a little over a month, having not set foot on campus and having practiced with the coaches.
One possibility may be that he wants to come, but something academic didn't get taken care of. Gotta dot all the i's and cross the t's when transferring from a JC.
packawana
Veasy graduated w/o eligibility. Wells played out his eligibility this year.

I think it's probably better to just list the scholarship players that have left as those are more concerning.
calumnus
packawana said:

Veasy graduated w/o eligibility. Wells played out his eligibility this year.

I think it's probably better to just list the scholarship players that have left as those are more concerning.

Ok, thanks and agreed. Again, others more knowledgeable than me should chime in.

Others from the 2017 and 2018 classes
WR Smith to CB
WR Scott to S
RB Adams

We lost and are losing lots of players at WR and RB and in the last two years added:

WR Hawkins
WR Remigio
RB Brown

Plus walk-on JC transfer RB Dancy.

Those guys, with WR Duncan and the entering class of 3 stars:
WR Clark (JC)
Ath Brooks?
Ath Polk?
RB Colins (JC)

Will be our core "speed" players, which everyone says Baldwin needs to run his offense.

My hope is these guys prove to be great and/or we look at 2 TE sets. I think we have some talent and depth there.

travelingbears
I usually appreciate the sunshine pumping from some of you who are more "in the know" than I am, and reaffirming it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

However, I think those of you who are continuously brushing these transfers or decommitments as no big deal are delirious. We've lost most of our most highly regarded and/or biggest contributors on offense.

Something ain't right and you guys aren't facing reality. Even if we do keep BB another year, we at least need to upgrade a couple of offensive assistants.

This is disheartening at best, and the sky is falling at worst.
Econ141
travelingbears said:

I usually appreciate the sunshine pumping from some of you who are more "in the know" than I am, and reaffirming it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

However, I think those of you who are continuously brushing these transfers or decommitments as no big deal are delirious. We've lost most of our most highly regarded and/or biggest contributors on offense.

Something ain't right and you guys aren't facing reality. Even if we do keep BB another year, we at least need to upgrade a couple of offensive assistants.

Agreed - not only have we lost them but we have not replaced them with anyone that illicits excitement.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
calumnus
fat_slice said:

travelingbears said:

Agreed - not only have we lost them but we have not replaced them with anyone that illicits excitement.

Which I could live with if we had brilliant playcalling, but when the OC's defenders say the problem is the talent level....
71Bear
calumnus said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

Bear19 said:

30???

People more knowledgeable than me can correct, but here is what I was looking at:

WR Stoval
WR Echols
RB Watson
WR Robertson
WR Noa
WR Bankhead
WR Veasy
WR Singleton
WR Austin
RB Clark
RB McCrary
WR Peterson
TE Emesibe
FB Kapp
WR Gamble
WR Kobayashi
WR Dunn
TE Hinnant
WR Locklin
TE Wells
WR Laris
RB Ali-Walsh
WR Philip
WR Cardwell
WR T. Johnson
TE Howard
QB Bowers
QB Viramontes
QB Gilliam
WR J. Johnson

Others:
TE Moos to OLB
WR Hansen to NFL

I am sure there are errors in the above, and it clearly includes walk-ons and guys everyone is convinced would never contribute.
Hmmmm....

I understand your point. However, I think it is also fair to say that a substantial number of guys on the list were not qualified to play at the P5 level. In essence, players who fit that description and who were on scholarship should never have been offered. Cal was fortunate to see them leave. This gave the Bears an opportunity to sign someone else.

Quite frankly, what would be interesting to know is who received the scholarship that was given up by each guy who was on scholie on the list. Of course, there is no way for us to know the answer to that question. However, it is an important part of the equation......
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear

Baghdad Bob Berkeley Beau
calumnus
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

Bear19 said:

30???

WR Stoval
WR Echols
RB Watson
WR Robertson
WR Noa
WR Bankhead
WR Veasy
WR Singleton
WR Austin
RB Clark
RB McCrary
WR Peterson
TE Emesibe
FB Kapp
WR Gamble
WR Kobayashi
WR Dunn
TE Hinnant
WR Locklin
TE Wells
WR Laris
RB Ali-Walsh
WR Philip
WR Cardwell
WR T. Johnson
TE Howard
QB Bowers
QB Viramontes
QB Gilliam
WR J. Johnson

Others:
TE Moos to OLB
WR Hansen to NFL

Hmmmm....

I understand your point. However, I think it is also fair to say that a substantial number of guys on the list were not qualified to play at the P5 level. In essence, players who fit that description and who were on scholarship should never have been offered. Cal was fortunate to see them leave. This gave the Bears an opportunity to sign someone else.

Quite frankly, what would be interesting to know is who received the scholarship that was given up by each guy who was on scholie on the list. Of course, there is no way for us to know the answer to that question. However, it is an important part of the equation......

Possibly, probably, but the guys we added in the last 2 years are:
WR Hawkins
WR Remigio
RB Brown

Plus walk-on JC transfer RB Dancy.

Add WR Duncan and the entering class of 3 stars:
WR Clark (JC)
Ath Brooks?
Ath Polk?
RB Colins (JC)
And that is our skill players for Baldwin's spread (assuming Brooks and Polk end up on offense). Add McIlwain by necessity.

We have essentially 3 returning WRs and are adding 2 (or 3) plus a converted QB for an offense that often plays 4 or even 5 at a time?

We have 19 returning linebackers and have 7 in the incoming class (assuming the "athletes" play on offense). Now, maybe we just swapped WRs and RBs who will never play for LBs who will never play, but our lack of depth may be a challenge if there are any injuries, even ones that just slow them down because they will have to play anyway.
Beardog26
The first time you omitted 2018 WR recruit Monroe Young I just let it go. We still don't have a plethora of high level skill position players, to your point, but you're either intentionally omitting Young to support your argument or are blissfully unaware of information which subtracts from your point.
MoragaBear
Staff
calumnus said:

WR Stoval
WR Echols
RB Watson
WR Robertson
WR Noa
WR Bankhead
WR Veasy
WR Singleton
WR Austin
RB Clark
RB McCrary
WR Peterson
TE Emesibe
FB Kapp
WR Gamble
WR Kobayashi
WR Dunn
TE Hinnant
WR Locklin
TE Wells
WR Laris
RB Ali-Walsh
WR Philip
WR Cardwell
WR T. Johnson
TE Howard
QB Bowers
QB Viramontes
QB Gilliam
WR J. Johnson

Others:
TE Moos to OLB
WR Hansen to NFL

WR Stoval
WR Echols
RB Watson
WR Robertson
WR Noa
WR Bankhead -Never was healthy enough to practice or play
WR Veasy -Graduated and used up eligibility
WR Singleton
WR Austin
RB Clark
RB McCrary -Switched to defense and transferred later
WR Peterson -Walkon who never played
TE Emesibe -Defensive end who they switched one season to TE to see if he could earn pt there. He couldn't.
FB Kapp -Walkon who graduated
WR Gamble
WR Kobayashi
WR Dunn -Walkon who punctured his lung twice and medically retired.
TE Hinnant -Offensive tackle. Graduated.
WR Locklin -Walkon who never played
TE Wells -Walkon TE who graduated. Played through the end of this season.
WR Laris
RB Ali-Walsh
WR Philip -Walkon who never played
WR Cardwell -Walkon who never played
WR T. Johnson -Academic casualty. Is working his way back to the team.
TE Howard -Defensive end. Medically retired.
QB Bowers
QB Viramontes -On his 4th program in 4 years
QB Gilliam
WR J. Johnson -Was in fine shape till last semester. Only needed passing grades to get in.

Suddenly the list got a lot thinner eliminating walkons who never played, defensive players listed as offensive players and players who graduated. You want to see guys who aren't going to be productive move on to clear roster space. There are losses here and there the staff would've liked to have kept but not a high percentage of that list.

Quote:

Quote:

SERIOUSLY?

Noa just transferred. JC WR commits are decommitting. Literally, nobody wants to play offense here.

I never thought I would say this, but Wilcox and staff are WORSE on offense, then Dykes and staff were on defense.

Enough is enough.
Well, no. There's Duncan, Remigio, Hawkins, Young, Clark, Crawford, Polk a trio of talented walkons that will likely see pt in Skinner, Walker and King as well as hopefully Taariq back this summer.
calumnus
Beardog26 said:

The first time you omitted 2018 WR recruit Monroe Young I just let it go. We still don't have a plethora of high level skill position players, to your point, but you're either intentionally omitting Young to support your argument or are blissfully unaware of information which subtracts from your point.

As I have said repeatedly, more knowledgeable people should correct me. I was going off the stats for 2018 which did not record him making a catch and a recruiting site that listed Young as a S.
71Bear
calumnus said:

Beardog26 said:

As I have said repeatedly, more knowledgeable people should correct me. I was going off the stats for 2018 which did not record him making a catch and a recruiting site that listed Young as a S.
As I suggested and Moraga confirmed, I think it would have been better had you not used the number 30. It wasn't a true representation of the facts. I think you could have made your point effectively with a lower, more credible figure.

By the way, tossing a number out and then suggesting "more knowledgeable people should correct me" is not the best way of making an observation....
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

WR Stoval
WR Echols
RB Watson
WR Robertson
WR Noa
WR Bankhead
WR Veasy
WR Singleton
WR Austin
RB Clark
RB McCrary
WR Peterson
TE Emesibe
FB Kapp
WR Gamble
WR Kobayashi
WR Dunn
TE Hinnant
WR Locklin
TE Wells
WR Laris
RB Ali-Walsh
WR Philip
WR Cardwell
WR T. Johnson
TE Howard
QB Bowers
QB Viramontes
QB Gilliam
WR J. Johnson

Others:
TE Moos to OLB
WR Hansen to NFL

WR Stoval
WR Echols
RB Watson
WR Robertson
WR Noa
WR Bankhead -Never was healthy enough to practice or play
WR Veasy -Graduated and used up eligibility
WR Singleton
WR Austin
RB Clark
RB McCrary -Switched to defense and transferred later
WR Peterson -Walkon who never played
TE Emesibe -Defensive end who they switched one season to TE to see if he could earn pt there. He couldn't.
FB Kapp -Walkon who graduated
WR Gamble
WR Kobayashi
WR Dunn -Walkon who punctured his lung twice and medically retired.
TE Hinnant -Offensive tackle. Graduated.
WR Locklin -Walkon who never played
TE Wells -Walkon TE who graduated. Played through the end of this season.
WR Laris
RB Ali-Walsh
WR Philip -Walkon who never played
WR Cardwell -Walkon who never played
WR T. Johnson -Academic casualty. Is working his way back to the team.
TE Howard -Defensive end. Medically retired.
QB Bowers
QB Viramontes -On his 4th program in 4 years
QB Gilliam
WR J. Johnson -Was in fine shape till last semester. Only needed passing grades to get in.

Suddenly the list got a lot thinner eliminating walkons who never played, defensive players listed as offensive players and players who graduated. You want to see guys who aren't going to be productive move on to clear roster space. There are losses here and there the staff would've liked to have kept but not a high percentage of that list.

Quote:

Quote:

SERIOUSLY?

Enough is enough.
Well, no. There's Duncan, Remigio, Hawkins, Young, Clark, Crawford, Polk a trio of talented walkons that will likely see pt in Skinner, Walker and King as well as hopefully Taariq back this summer.

Thanks for your corrections above and your comments on those who have left.

So is it correct to say the 3 guys returning with experience at WR are Duncan, Remigio and Hawkins and they combined for just under 39 yards in receptions per game in 2018?

And the returners at RB are Brown, Dancy and Netherda who combined for 18 yards per game in 2018?

Some people defend Baldwin by saying he is great he just didn't have the talent, but say he now will, though largely from guys who were on the roster but he didn't play much if at all in 2018. Seems contradictory for a great OC not to play the best players on his roster, no?

Oh, well I will just hope that the few guys that we have seen improve greatly and the few guys we haven't seen are great, that the problem really was the QBs and that Modster, with Baldwin taking on the QB coaching duties, really is the answer. And I hope everyone stays healthy, because it seems to me depth will be an even bigger issue than last year.
calumnus
Bobodeluxe
Just blame Buh.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.