where are the wide receivers??

5,945 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Big C
calgo430
How long do you want to ignore this user?
big prob. the qb needs them to be effective.
B.A. Bearacus
GMP
When will they ever learn?
91/95
Gone to Transfer Ev - er - y One .

A lifetime of suffering as a Cal fan.
sycasey
At this rate we'll just be running a single-wing offense next year. Pop Warner would be proud!
Yogi58
calgo430 said:

Gonna run the T formation this year with two ends.
MoragaBear
Staff
calgo430 said:

Duncan, Remigio, Hawkins, Young, Clark, Crawford, Polk as well as hopefully Taariq back this summer.
GoBears89
MoragaBear said:

calgo430 said:

Duncan, Remigio, Hawkins, Young, Clark, Crawford, Polk as well as hopefully Taariq back this summer.
Thanks Moraga. Any chance of picking up a WR (or RB) tomorrow? No idea who Cal still has on the radar.
MoragaBear
Staff
GoBears89 said:

MoragaBear said:

calgo430 said:

Thanks Moraga. Any chance of picking up a WR (or RB) tomorrow? No idea who Cal still has on the radar.
Highly unlikely but they'll look to add an 9th receiver with a jc/transfer/grad transfer in the spring. Also, walkons Walker, Skinner and to a lesser extent, King had really solid fall camps last year. Walker got some pt this season before getting hurt.
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

GoBears89 said:

MoragaBear said:

calgo430 said:

Highly unlikely but they'll look to add an 9th receiver with a jc/transfer/grad transfer in the spring. Also, walkons Walker, Skinner and to a lesser extent, King had really solid fall camps last year. Walker got some pt this season before getting hurt.

Any chance they look at any of the (16?) DBs or faster OLBs switching positions or playing both ways? I know many played the position before. Need to get our best athletes on the field.
Big C
calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

GoBears89 said:

MoragaBear said:

calgo430 said:

Any chance they look at any of the (16?) DBs or faster OLBs switching positions or playing both ways? I know many played the position before. Need to get our best athletes on the field.

This armchair quarterback is daydreaming that that's how they're luring Ashtyn Davis to return.

On a more serious note, what will be Brandon McIlwain's status with Cal Football be in 2019?
Oski87
Are there any WR walking on this year?
Bobodeluxe
Oski87 said:

The yell leaders who don't make the cut will be offered.
Bobodeluxe
Oski87 said:

The yell leaders who don't make the cut will be offered.
calumnus
Oski87 said:

Maybe someone else from the Track team? Several sprinters/jumpers/hurdlers played WR in HS. Maybe even Malik's little brother Hakim?
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/preps/story/2017/may/04/mccallie-mcmorrexcelling-and-track/426482/
GoCal1
There is a good reason DBs are not WRs. Basically CCWS is the big problem. CCWS? Can't catch worth *****
calumnus
GoCal1 said:

There is a good reason DBs are not WRs. Basically CCWS is the big problem. CCWS? Can't catch worth *****

Sometimes, maybe usually, but not always.
Keenan Allen came to Cal as a safety. Name a Cal WR with better hands?
Beardog26
Some DBs can catch, some can't. Just like some WRs can cover, some can't.
MoragaBear
Staff
calumnus said:

GoCal1 said:

Keenan didn't come to Cal as a safety, though he probably would've been a good one. He was always recruited by Cal as a receiver.
packawana
MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

GoCal1 said:

Keenan didn't come to Cal as a safety, though he probably would've been a good one. He was always recruited by Cal as a receiver.
I swear, sometimes I feel like people are making things up at this point to justify things like putting Ashtyn at WR.
Big C
KA was a two-way star in high school, but there was SOMETHING about his play at safety... that's what got him his 5-star rating, or top safety prospect coming out that year, or Bama wanted him as a safety... something.

Here's an idea: Why don't we try Ashtyn Davis at WR! (hey, jus' playin', packawana, heh heh)
joe amos yaks
KA was a safety.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Yogi58
joe amos yaks said:

KA was a safety.
LOLOLOLOLOL
KenBurnski
Any current WRs should be running routes on their way to class. Working on getting separation by juking classmates and gutter punks. Eastern State helped a freshman running back learn ball security by forcing him to carry and control the ball throughout the day. His teammates would try and strip during class. One time they almost got it. There's a good documentary about this for anyone interested.
GMP
KenBurnski said:

Any current WRs should be running routes on their way to class. Working on getting separation by juking classmates and gutter punks. Eastern State helped a freshman running back learn ball security by forcing him to carry and control the ball throughout the day. His teammates would try and strip during class. One time they almost got it. There's a good documentary about this for anyone interested.
Just don't follow his teammates' lead and lie down on the dividing yellow line of a busy street in the dark of night.
calumnus
packawana said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

GoCal1 said:

I swear, sometimes I feel like people are making things up at this point to justify things like putting Ashtyn at WR.

What I mean is Allen was listed as a Safety by the recruiting services:
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2010/keenan-allen-12332
And listed as a Safety signing by Cal. He said he would play either way. Cal needed him at WR, but most others wanted him at Safety. All that spite the fact he had/has great hands. That is my point, if he had played Safety it wouldn't have made his hands bad, it wouldn't have made him a bad prospect for WR if we decided that was our greater need.
PTownYogi
If he can improve his ball security Mcilwain might make a good WR. When he wasn't fumbling, he seemed like the most dynamic athlete on offense last year.
joe amos yaks
WR KAllen was a safety and QB BMc was the most athletic player on the Cal offense.
socaliganbear
MoragaBear said:

calgo430 said:

I hope we don't Lebron this group next off season with a "he had no help".
PTownYogi
joe amos yaks said:

WR KAllen was a safety and QB BMc was the most athletic player on the Cal offense.

Ok. So who was more athletic?

Mcilwain accounted for 422 total yards against Arizona. Whose performance on offense surpasses that for you? And yes, his turnovers cost us the game, which is why I qualified my statement regarding his ball security.
joe amos yaks
Yes, indeed, BMc was the most athletic player on Cal's offense . . . but maybe not the defense.
Big C
PTownYogi said:

joe amos yaks said:

Ok. So who was more athletic?

Mcilwain accounted for 422 total yards against Arizona. Whose performance on offense surpasses that for you? And yes, his turnovers cost us the game, which is why I qualified my statement regarding his ball security.
I agree. BMac's turnovers were either interceptions, or fumbles when he was concentrating on finding an open receiver, under pressure. He held the ball fine when he was running with it, despite taking some big hits.

If his heart is into being a receiver (slot?), I think he'd be good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.