I was over on b-ball board....

4,806 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Blueblood
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?

...sorry.....
okaydo
There's a b ball board?
calbearinamaze
S CERTAMENTE. Gli orsi stanno facendo la buona fortuna a Bocce Ball

B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus
BB, I don't have it into me to delve into what must be the dark morass of the B-Ball board (I'm sure that many here are football first fans but care about basketball). The team is 5-17 with no wins against P12 opponents. It would seem that we will pull out one win max out of the final eight games, leaving us with a record of 6-24. Is there a consensus that a disastrous record will (not should) guarantee that the Wyking Jones experiment will end after this season?

Big C
I'm equal parts Cal Football fan and Cal Basketball fan. Over the years, we've had dark times in both sports.

The basketball team is very young. They have three more pretty good players coming in for next year. Better times lie ahead. Yes, the coaching is an issue. Our new AD will do the right thing on that, at the appropriate time.

Go Bears!
B.A. Bearacus
Thanks for that state of the basketball union address, Big C. Glad to know that there is reason to expect that the dumpster fire will be put out as early as next year with what sounds like solid recent recruiting efforts.
Big C
Well, they are going to need to PLAY BETTER, too, whoever's coaching them.
UCBerkGrad
Big C said:

Our new AD will do the right thing on that, at the appropriate time.

when is appropriate?
Big C
Probably next month, but maybe Knowlton makes a complete evaluation and decides to give Jones another year, weighing in all factors (including financial). His call. Hope he's right, whatever he decides.

I always try and be supportive of whomever is currently coaching our teams, but I gotta be realistic: Anybody who looks at last season and this season... we don't look well coached.
Sebastabear
If after the most disastrous season in the history of our school (and maybe among the most disasterous ever played by a P5 school) the AD doesn't make a change then he is saying he doesn't care about winning. And if the AD doesn't care, why should the fans, donors or even the players? I wouldn't give the program a dime and I think many others would feel the same. But Knowlton cares very much about winning (and selling tickets and getting donations). Why I'm confident he will do the right thing.
B.A. Bearacus
bluehenbear
UCBerkGrad said:

Big C said:

Our new AD will do the right thing on that, at the appropriate time.

when is was appropriate?
FTFY

IMO, when we lost to Div II Chaminade
GivemTheAxe
Big C said:

IMO They need to be COACHED better.
I managed to stay all the way through the Colorado game ( and it was not easy).
Throughout the game the Colorado coach was giving his team directions writing down plays. Little of this was being done by Cal. At one point in the second half after Cal had come back from an 18 point deficit to take a small lead, the Colorado coach was having an animated discussion with his players gathered around him. He was sketching plays and pointing out assignments to particular players.
The Cal players were standing on mid-court hands on their hips.
No surprise. Colorado stopped the Cal comeback and quickly regained the lead.
joe amos yaks
Coach Jones coaches by the intuitive process.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Big C
GivemTheAxe said:

Big C said:

IMO They need to be COACHED better.
I managed to stay all the way through the Colorado game ( and it was not easy).
Throughout the game the Colorado coach was giving his team directions writing down plays. Little of this was being done by Cal. At one point in the second half after Cal had come back from an 18 point deficit to take a small lead, the Colorado coach was having an animated discussion with his players gathered around him. He was sketching plays and pointing out assignments to particular players.
The Cal players were standing on mid-court hands on their hips.
No surprise. Colorado stopped the Cal comeback and quickly regained the lead.
Yes, of course, they need to be COACHED to play better. I was responding to another poster who was discussing improvement via recruiting.
oskidunker
The recruits are only three star. Not good enough to change anything. End of story.
Blueblood
oskidunker said:

The recruits are only three star. Not good enough to change anything. End of story.

"Are you referring to football or basketball...
or worse...both! I'm feeling sick again."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.