Keenan and Cam on Cal

4,118 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calumnus
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal football tweeted this out for those who didn't see:

burritos
That was very nice of them for the shout out.
Fyght4Cal
Awesome! The AD continues to step-up it's social media game.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
TheSouseFamily
I confess that I was wrong about Keenan. Even when he was at Cal, I always thought that it felt more of a transactional thing than one where a guy wanted the full breadth of the Cal experience.. He didn't seem like the kind of Bear that I'd care much about when he was gone.

Happy to say I'm wrong. And that this video warms my big Cal heart.
flounder
TheSouseFamily said:

I confess that I was wrong about Keenan. Even when he was at Cal, I always thought that it felt more of a transactional thing than one where a guy wanted the full breadth of the Cal experience.. He didn't seem like the kind of Bear that I'd care much about when he was gone.

the lack of respect for him on this board by many is insane. (not saying you personally)
TheSouseFamily
flounder said:

TheSouseFamily said:

the lack of respect for him on this board by many is insane. (not saying you personally)

Well, in my defense, I never complained about him here. I rarely do that publicly when kids are involved. Not my style. Plus, as outsiders, we rarely know the real story so I'm slow to judge. I just didn't get a great vibe about Keenan but am happy to be wrong and hear how much his experience meant to him.
Another Bear
Good stuff...both those guys carrying the Cal torch.

I'm a Cam Jordan fan, great sense of humor...100% Cal. Keenan seems to have matured, you know success does that.

Now we need an ARodg and Goff version, just cuz we can.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
calumnus
flounder said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Keenan Allen and Desean Jackson, both. In both cases it was started by trolls/fans of other teams upset they didn't go to their schools, but got perpetuated and built up by Cal fans for various, mostly unfounded or petty reasons.
calumnus
82gradDLSdad
Another Bear said:

Good stuff...both those guys carrying the Cal torch.

I'm a Cam Jordan fan, great sense of humor...100% Cal. Keenan seems to have matured, you know success does that.

Now we need an ARodg and Goff version, just cuz we can.

Yes. We need an aggressive AD/coaching staff to come up with a social media campaign, if you will, to engage the NFL Cal stars. Think 21st century Cal AD.
MilleniaBear
In KA's case it didn't help that there was something squirrelly going on about his brother's playing time and how KA didn't play the end of his last season at Cal. The whole failed North Carolina connection will always be linked to Tedford's firing and Tosh back stabbing.
Hail2Calif
MilleniaBear said:

In KA's case it didn't help that there was something squirrelly going on about his brother's playing time and how KA didn't play the end of his last season at Cal. The whole failed North Carolina connection will always be linked to Tedford's firing and Tosh back stabbing.

That's a lot to be put onto KA. While Maynard getting to play is always going to raise a few eyebrows, I thought KA's play on the field was awesome, he seemed to stay out of public trouble off the field, and he missed his last few games as a college player because he was injured (trying to recover an onside kick if I recall).

And he was seriously injured - enough so he slipped to the Chargers in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft due to health concerns.

Trying to somehow tie him to being part of Lupoi's betrayal / attempted destruction of Cal - I can't even fathom how that could LOGICALLY be made given how dynamic of a player he was at Cal
KoreAmBear
I bet Jaylen Brown would say the same.

We need this kind of stuff to do our recruiting.

Bear8
Speaking of Jaylen Brown, he promised emphatically to return to Cal and get his degree. Anyone know whether he's taken any steps in that direction?

I felt as you did about Keenan Allen. I never got a feeling that he really wanted to be here. It was a deal which included his half-brother becoming our starting QB and for family happiness. I am pleased as hell to see I was totally wrong about the guy and that he's a true Bear. Cam Jordan was always a Bear to me. He's having a great career at DE with the Saints. Hope it continues.

That these two alums are promoting Cal to recruits is the stuff that turns recruit's heads. It says more about being a Cal student/athlete than any recruiter could ever say.
okaydo
KoreAmBear said:

I bet Jaylen Brown would say the same.

We need this kind of stuff to do our recruiting.

calumnus
Hail2Calif said:

MilleniaBear said:

That's a lot to be put onto KA. While Maynard getting to play is always going to raise a few eyebrows, I thought KA's play on the field was awesome, he seemed to stay out of public trouble off the field, and he missed his last few games as a college player because he was injured (trying to recover an onside kick if I recall).

And he was seriously injured - enough so he slipped to the Chargers in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft due to health concerns.

Trying to somehow tie him to being part of Lupoi's betrayal / attempted destruction of Cal - I can't even fathom how that could LOGICALLY be made given how dynamic of a player he was at Cal

It was a false narrative for people who wanted to hold Tedford blameless for the bad state of Cal football and the situation he had at QB. Turns out Maynard really was better than Bridgford, Manson and Hinder. Our 2012 offense was #44, not great, but ranked higher than all the offenses since 2006. And that was with Sofele at RB, versus Best and Vereen.

Maynard was not good, but it was not his fault, or his brother's, that he was our best option. It was Tedford's job to recruit and develop a better option. As fans, we should not be too harsh on the players for not being good enough. They are amateurs, representing our school and deserve our support.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.