Cal Alum is currently the #1 sports story in the Country

4,853 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ducky23
ducky23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ethan Strauss (a reporter for The Athletic) made world wide news yesterday when KD specifically called him out during his media rant last night.

For those that don't know, Strauss grew up in Oakland, wrote for the Daily Cal and graduated in '08.

KD's outburst has sparked a national discussion about whether the media goes too far in sensationalizing off-court drama or whether players (like KD) are too thin skinned.

My brief two cents

yes, Strauss is a bit to blame for writing a story without first talking to KD, but that said.....decisions lead to consequences.

- KD decided to sign with the warriors (which got him two rings - but this comes with increased media scrutiny)
- KD decided to sign a 1 year contract (which gives him more flexibility/potential for more money - but this will inevitably lead to free agency speculation)
- unlike Klay (who has stated that he wants to be a "Warrior for Life"), KD has been completely silent on his pending free agency
- KD decided to play and get paid a huge salary to play in the NBA (a league that is popular not just because of the play on the court, but the drama off the court)

To think that the media is only going to report on his on-court actions is naive to say the least. If he wants softer treatment, he should go play for the Knicks.

I love his play on the court, but off the court, he's the one that needs to grow up (and this comes from a HUGE dubs fan).

ColoradoBear
nice one on going all okaydo with the non descriptive click bait somewhat misleading title...

KoreAmBear
ColoradoBear said:

nice one on going all okaydo with the non descriptive click bait somewhat misleading title...

You'll be shocked to see what happens next.
ColoradoBear
"Cal Alum Marshawn Lynch should be KD's role model"

and yeah i basically stole that from some dude on twitter
dbush518
Staff
Durant could have put a stop to this early with the simple declaration that he was not going to talk about free agency until after the season.

Writers would honor that and put an end to the questions. Writers will still speculate -- that's what they do -- but Durant could ignore it and all the questions asked of him would be about basketball.

As noted above, Durant should have known the nature of his contract would invite questions as it reached this point.

And if he thinks the Bay Area media is tough, he shouldn't go anywhere near New York.

Glad to see the Daily Cal is still turning out sportswriters. The Chron has always been loaded with them.
tigertim
Ethan Sherwood Strauss writes how a bad writer thinks good writers write. Guy can't get out of his own way.

"Instead of just describing this basketball game using straightforward English, I'm going to weave in 15 unnecessary parentheticals and metaphors to 'spice it up.'"
okaydo
I read literally every tweet that Tim Kawakami tweets every day. But I don't read his colleagues (Marcus and Strauss) because I don't follow the Warriors, or the NBA.

So I saw Kawakami's tweets (and Ann Killions' tweets) last night responding to what happened, without explaining what happened...and got an idea what happened from other news reports.

But I didn't know *exactly* what happened until I read this thread.
BearlyCareAnymore
ducky23 said:

Ethan Strauss (a reporter for The Athletic) made world wide news yesterday when KD specifically called him out during his media rant last night.

For those that don't know, Strauss grew up in Oakland, wrote for the Daily Cal and graduated in '08.

KD's outburst has sparked a national discussion about whether the media goes too far in sensationalizing off-court drama or whether players (like KD) are too thin skinned.

My brief two cents

yes, Strauss is a bit to blame for writing a story without first talking to KD, but that said.....decisions lead to consequences.

- KD decided to sign with the warriors (which got him two rings - but this comes with increased media scrutiny)
- KD decided to sign a 1 year contract (which gives him more flexibility/potential for more money - but this will inevitably lead to free agency speculation)
- unlike Klay (who has stated that he wants to be a "Warrior for Life"), KD has been completely silent on his pending free agency
- KD decided to play and get paid a huge salary to play in the NBA (a league that is popular not just because of the play on the court, but the drama off the court)

To think that the media is only going to report on his on-court actions is naive to say the least. If he wants softer treatment, he should go play for the Knicks.

I love his play on the court, but off the court, he's the one that needs to grow up (and this comes from a HUGE dubs fan).

I disagree.

I'm not a huge Warriors fan. No feelings positively or negatively toward KD. However, what I see with the media is this basic argument:

1. There are a lot of immature baby amateur asshats in our profession that write crap pieces with no factual basis to try and get attention because it is easier to do that than make a name with quality work.

2. That is just the way the world works

3. If you dare call the amateur asshats out on their obvious asshattery and say maybe the world shouldn't work that way, the asshats get all hurt and say part of playing basketball means dealing with asshats like me. How dare you call me an asshat when it is part of the gig dealing with asshats like me? You're immature.

It is part of the gig dealing with asshats. It is not part of the gig HOW you deal with them. If it were me, I'd let it go. But I see nothing wrong with calling it out. If KD ran onto the floor, tripped, and laid there for 48 minutes, Strauss would have plenty to say about the effort. When he puts equivalent effort into his column, he should expect the same.

That column was crap. Anyone here could have written it. It is one thing if you want to write an opinion piece. It is another if you attempt to make it look like more than that. He intentionally wrote a piece implying but never really saying that he had information that KD was going to the knicks. He intentionally wove a narrative out of nothing. He knew what he was doing. Basically saying NBA insiders think he's gone. (Based on interviews? Phone calls? Or what my buddies in the press room talk about? We don't know). Stating as fact that KD is sulking and implying he isn't working with the team (any corroboration from Warriors in that?). I then love this construction. Even most people within the Warriors think he is gone or don't know. True. I'll give you another true statement. Most Americans are either pedophiles or think chocolate is delicious. No one knows what KD will do, so of course the statement is true. He knows full well that he was giving the impression the Warriors think KD is gone, but he can basically say he didn't say that.

He wanted clicks. He got them. Criticism for how he got them is more than fair. He has to take the bad with the good. Exactly as he expects KD to.

All KD has done is play basketball and put off a decision until the proper time. Yes, he should expect people to talk about it. He doesn't have to be silent while they portray him like a turd. Personally I think he hit the nail on the head with his statement. Whether it is better for his psyche to brush it off or vent is up to him. I see no reason he shouldn't call asses assses.

Another Bear
Man KD and Warrirors fans are thinned skinned. You win and media scrutiny and hackery follows...par for the course and business.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
ducky23
OaktownBear said:

ducky23 said:

My brief two cents

I disagree.

I'm not a huge Warriors fan. No feelings positively or negatively toward KD. However, what I see with the media is this basic argument:

1. There are a lot of immature baby amateur asshats in our profession that write crap pieces with no factual basis to try and get attention because it is easier to do that than make a name with quality work.

3. If you dare call the amateur asshats out on their obvious asshattery and say maybe the world shouldn't work that way, the asshats get all hurt and say part of playing basketball means dealing with asshats like me. How dare you call me an asshat when it is part of the gig dealing with asshats like me? You're immature.

It is part of the gig dealing with asshats. It is not part of the gig HOW you deal with them. If it were me, I'd let it go. But I see nothing wrong with calling it out. If KD ran onto the floor, tripped, and laid there for 48 minutes, Strauss would have plenty to say about the effort. When he puts equivalent effort into his column, he should expect the same.

That column was crap. Anyone here could have written it. It is one thing if you want to write an opinion piece. It is another if you attempt to make it look like more than that. He intentionally wrote a piece implying but never really saying that he had information that KD was going to the knicks. He intentionally wove a narrative out of nothing. He knew what he was doing. Basically saying NBA insiders think he's gone. (Based on interviews? Phone calls? Or what my buddies in the press room talk about? We don't know). Stating as fact that KD is sulking and implying he isn't working with the team (any corroboration from Warriors in that?). I then love this construction. Even most people within the Warriors think he is gone or don't know. True. I'll give you another true statement. Most Americans are either pedophiles or think chocolate is delicious. No one knows what KD will do, so of course the statement is true. He knows full well that he was giving the impression the Warriors think KD is gone, but he can basically say he didn't say that.

He wanted clicks. He got them. Criticism for how he got them is more than fair. He has to take the bad with the good. Exactly as he expects KD to.

All KD has done is play basketball and put off a decision until the proper time. Yes, he should expect people to talk about it. He doesn't have to be silent while they portray him like a turd. Personally I think he hit the nail on the head with his statement. Whether it is better for his psyche to brush it off or vent is up to him. I see no reason he shouldn't call asses assses.

I have zero problem with kd going after Strauss. If he thinks a reporter got it wrong, he has every right to correct the record. It's not how I would've chosen to approach the reporter, but whatever.

But him attacking Strauss is not my problem with kd. It's his insistence that reporters should only report on what happens on the court. It's his expectation that he should just be allowed to go play and go home and not have to deal with the media or any free agency questions. That hes only being paid to play b-ball. Again, that's naive.

When kd decided to go from okc to the dubs, he completely reshaped the league. A league that is a multi billion dollar enterprise. His decisions cost franchises millions and millions of dollars. So he just expects people to not ask him about it? He doesn't talk to the media for 8 days (after the knicks trade) and he doesn't expect the media to speculate?

I'm reminded of an episode of the west wing "a slow news day" where CJ tells Toby "we've been over this. We need a hard news story every day or the press will run amok!"

CJ (another cal grad) knows what's up
Big C
There is always going to be interest in and speculation about where the NBA stars are headed in the off-season, but it's being made WAY too big of a deal about lately.

Free agents go to other teams now. A lot. That's the way it works. At some point, it's no longer interesting during the season. Just let it play out. Sure, writers can write about what they want and fans can be interested in what they want, but I'm sitting here in my chair telling everybody that, after awhile, it's just not that interesting.

Related: Have you noticed that a fairly large percentage of our "news" stories lately consist of...

* so-and-so said ______

* so-and-so said ______ and who's-it's-face's reaction to that was ______

* so-and-so misbehaved by doing _______

* so-and-so misbehaved by doing _______ and who's-it's-face's reaction to that was _______

This isn't news! It's more like... social media!

BearlyCareAnymore
ducky23 said:

OaktownBear said:

ducky23 said:

My brief two cents

I disagree.

I have zero problem with kd going after Strauss. If he thinks a reporter got it wrong, he has every right to correct the record. It's not how I would've chosen to approach the reporter, but whatever.

But him attacking Strauss is not my problem with kd. It's his insistence that reporters should only report on what happens on the court. It's his expectation that he should just be allowed to go play and go home and not have to deal with the media or any free agency questions. That hes only being paid to play b-ball. Again, that's naive.

When kd decided to go from okc to the dubs, he completely reshaped the league. A league that is a multi billion dollar enterprise. His decisions cost franchises millions and millions of dollars. So he just expects people to not ask him about it? He doesn't talk to the media for 8 days (after the knicks trade) and he doesn't expect the media to speculate?

I'm reminded of an episode of the west wing "a slow news day" where CJ tells Toby "we've been over this. We need a hard news story every day or the press will run amok!"

CJ (another cal grad) knows what's up

He should expect speculation. Absolutely. I just don't see why Strauss writing bullshyte to get himself attention should be rewarded and no one speak up because that is how the world works. The world works that way because people begrudgingly accept it.

Strauss did a great job if he wants attention. Many do things that way. They can have attention, but they can't expect respect. The ones who get respect earn their attention through consistent hard work.
OdontoBear66
Big C said:

There is always going to be interest in and speculation about where the NBA stars are headed in the off-season, but it's being made WAY too big of a deal about lately.

Free agents go to other teams now. A lot. That's the way it works. At some point, it's no longer interesting during the season. Just let it play out. Sure, writers can write about what they want and fans can be interested in what they want, but I'm sitting here in my chair telling everybody that, after awhile, it's just not that interesting.

Related: Have you noticed that a fairly large percentage of our "news" stories lately consist of...

* so-and-so said ______

* so-and-so said ______ and who's-it's-face's reaction to that was ______

* so-and-so misbehaved by doing _______

* so-and-so misbehaved by doing _______ and who's-it's-face's reaction to that was _______

This isn't news! It's more like... social media!

Or worse yet they ask a question implying an answer to the question, and make that as substantive as whatever the real answer may be. Absurd. There must be something bad there.
Bobodeluxe
Who is KD?
JimSox
dbush518 said:

Durant could have put a stop to this early with the simple declaration that he was not going to talk about free agency until after the season.

Writers would honor that and put an end to the questions. Writers will still speculate -- that's what they do -- but Durant could ignore it and all the questions asked of him would be about basketball.

As noted above, Durant should have known the nature of his contract would invite questions as it reached this point.

And if he thinks the Bay Area media is tough, he shouldn't go anywhere near New York.

Glad to see the Daily Cal is still turning out sportswriters. The Chron has always been loaded with them.

+1
Go Daily Cal!!
Bear19
The Daily Disappointment is a great raining ground for folks who like to irritate athletes. Moderately entertaining.
socaliganbear
I'm team Strauss. KD coming off like a b*tch again, mind you, I want him to stay in the bay.
txwharfrat
ducky23 said:

My brief two cents

#1 sports story in the Bay Area? Probably. #1 sports story in the country? LOLOLOLOL. Not even close.
ducky23
txwharfrat said:

ducky23 said:

My brief two cents

#1 sports story in the Bay Area? Probably. #1 sports story in the country? LOLOLOLOL. Not even close.

At the time of posting this thread, the kd story was the LEAD story on sport center, first take, high noon, etc
okaydo

TheFiatLux
ducky23 said:

I disagree with you on this. I think KD has been an incredible representative for the Warriors off the court. The way he embraced Oakland upon his signing... his seeking out from fans places to go in the east bay... he ALWAYS took time with fans for selfies and such... Dude's not perfect but i don't blame him for blowing up at this.

I agree with Oaktown on this. We see this kind of awful construct reporting across the board, not just sports. But this is sports so it;s good to discuss here.

The Athletic seems to really want to muck stir. As for Tim K, I have never seen a more thin-skinned reporter in my life. ANd I hear that from my friends who are with the Athletic. He's a ******, imho.
Unit2Sucks
The Warriors have been a golden goose for ESS. Losing Durant would impact his national relevancy and ultimately take money out of his pocket. I wouldn't be surprised if that clouds his judgment.

Setting aside this issue (and I haven't been following it that closely), I think ESS does a good job following the Warriors and I enjoy his in depth pieces.
ducky23
TheFiatLux said:

ducky23 said:

I disagree with you on this. I think KD has been an incredible representative for the Warriors off the court. The way he embraced Oakland upon his signing... his seeking out from fans places to go in the east bay... he ALWAYS took time with fans for selfies and such... Dude's not perfect but i don't blame him for blowing up at this.

I agree with Oaktown on this. We see this kind of awful construct reporting across the board, not just sports. But this is sports so it;s good to discuss here.

The Athletic seems to really want to muck stir. As for Tim K, I have never seen a more thin-skinned reporter in my life. ANd I hear that from my friends who are with the Athletic. He's a ******, imho.

Sorry I should clarify, when I say off the court, I was referring only to how he handles social media and the media at large. (I should have been more specific)

With that said, you can't just blame the media as if Durant is completely blameless.

To quote Omar "it's all in the game." The sooner kd comes to grips with that, the better it will be for him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.