OT: The Alliance Football League?

1,711 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GMP
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25945580/steve-spurrier-ready-bring-fun-alliance-american-football
YamhillBear
Skimmed the story, noted that Garrett Gilbert (Gale Gilbert's son, the one deemed a "flop" at UT) is Spurrier's QB...
59bear
My granddaughter is a trainer with the San Antonio Commanders.
HoopDreams
Could this be a minor league for the NFL and a place for elite HS players to go to and 'get paid'?
burritos
When does it start? I'm withdrawing.
burritos
HoopDreams said:

Could this be a minor league for the NFL and a place for elite HS players to go to and 'get paid'?
Sure why not? If its profitable and people can earn a living, why not?
Goobear
burritos said:

When does it start? I'm withdrawing.
Today 5 pm CBS
ColoradoBear
Seems like a majority of HS students are going to be too small for pro level competition. Not all, but most. Not sure what the end game would be if the AAF targeted be developing players (fresh from HS) rather than putting the best product on the field to get fans to watch. Definitely a distinction there - is it worth it for the league to pay a HS player a few years to develop, and when they get good, they go to the nfl?

Interestingly, the AAF is headquartered in San Francisco (appears most jobs are technical/software) and the Salt Lake Stallions have been assigned Cal as being part of their territory (they get priority towards acquiring players from their assigned universities to get familiar more local players on each team ). It looks like Steve Williams is the only Cal player on the SL roster, and in the entire league.
HoopDreams
I heard they pay everyone the same 3 year contract with total salary of $250k
Oski87
That's right. Bonuses are also team wide and you get those for playoff wins. Really supported by the NFL as a place for guys cut to go and spend some time playing so they stay in shape and hopefully can recycle.

I was surprised to see that Georgio T was not in a team. Although there are no kickoff or extra points but there are field goals. Seems like a no brainer to me.
GMP
Oski87 said:

That's right. Bonuses are also team wide and you get those for playoff wins. Really supported by the NFL as a place for guys cut to go and spend some time playing so they stay in shape and hopefully can recycle.

I was surprised to see that Georgio T was not in a team. Although there are no kickoff or extra points but there are field goals. Seems like a no brainer to me.

You wouldn't be surprised if you knew this:

He's expected to start for Atlanta this year. They cut Matt Bryant.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.