Wilner: Impressive hire of Leach for WSU

6,320 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cal Strong!
chalcidbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jon Wilner's commentary column focuses on the story behind WSU's hiring of Mick Leach, accompanied with his list of other (recent) impressive HC hires in the PAC10/12 (I hope this link works):

http://eastbaytimes.ca.newsmemory.com/?token=J1iqZqtNtvWBBqfcwtY0LxFli6CcW9rb&product=eEditionCCT
PtownBear1
I remember when Leach was fired for putting that brat kid in the closet and Tedford had started his decent, I was telling everyone that I'd love to have him as our next coach.
Bobodeluxe
PtownBear1 said:

I remember when Leach was fired for putting that brat kid in the closet and Tedford had started his decent, I was telling everyone that I'd love to have him as our next coach.
Gimmick offense. He'll never win in the PAC12.
calumnus
Bobodeluxe said:

PtownBear1 said:

Exactly. Plus his recruiting rankings are consistently worse than ours so we know his offense must be worse than ours. It's the players.
Bear19
calumnus said:

Bobodeluxe said:

PtownBear1 said:

Exactly. Plus his recruiting rankings are consistently worse than ours so we know his offense must be worse than ours. Can't run an offense without future NFL players and that is 100% from recruiting.
Touche calumnus. Well played!
Jackieridgle
PtownBear1 said:

He wouldn't have been a good fit at Cal.
Yogi58
Jackieridgle said:

PtownBear1 said:

Agreed. Winning has never been a comfortable fit.
chazzed
He's done well up there, but he hasn't beat UW once.
packawana
I don't think Leach would have survived going 3-9 his third year here, not to mention some of those losses were to FCS teams. I also don't think we would have given him the latitude to get the players he wanted.
Yogi58
packawana said:

I don't think Leach would have survived going 3-9 his third year here, not to mention some of those losses were to FCS teams. I also don't think we would have given him the latitude to get the players he wanted.
Those are our failings though, not his.
Bear8
Getting Minshew last season saved his butt. Let's see if he can replicate it this season with a new QB.
dajo9
I'm not interested in having a guy like Leach coach at Cal and I wouldn't want my child coached by him.

There are more important things in life than winning games.
calumnus
dajo9 said:

I'm not interested in having a guy like Leach coach at Cal and I wouldn't want my child coached by him.

There are more important things in life than winning games.

I agree, great offensive mind, but that mind comes with some offensive baggage that, setting aside the moral issues, would be a detriment to the program in gaining support within and outside the university. Cal is not Texas Tech or Washington State and the Bay Area is not Lubbock, Texas or Eastern Washington.

I think we are all happy with Wilcox as a representative of the program and the university.
PtownBear1
Bear8 said:

Getting Minshew last season saved his butt. Let's see if he can replicate it this season with a new QB.

Uh no. Minshew was a middling FCS QB and a contingency plan after Leach's starting QB committed suicide.
okaydo
The Obama thing is a sign of a crazy man. I mean, a lot of college coaches are crazy. But you have to be good at hiding it.
calumnus
okaydo said:

The Obama thing is a sign of a crazy man. I mean, a lot of college coaches are crazy. But you have to be good at hiding it.

Yeah, that is a prime example. WSU lost $1.6 million in donations that week. Can you imagine the damage that would cause at Cal?
wifeisafurd
Jackieridgle said:

PtownBear1 said:

I hate to say this, but that is an accurate statement.
OneTopOneChickenApple
wifeisafurd said:

Jackieridgle said:

PtownBear1 said:

I hate to say this, but that is an accurate statement.
Leach would have hated it here. He has a bit of Bobby Knight in him.
Sebastabear
Not a fan in general but I do enjoy his press conferences and his posting/liking/retweeting (whatever the hell it was) that monkey tackling video. Got a few points for that.
Cal Strong!
calumnus said:

I think we are all happy with Wilcox as a representative of the program and the university.

Cal Strong not happy about Wilcox. Cal Strong not unhappy either.

Wilcox no prove yet he can beat stanfurd. Cal Strong never happy when strongest university on earth lose to weakest university on earth.

Cal Strong also not happy with offensive production. Cal Strong not happy with not knowing what happened to our 3,000+ yard QB who do front flips into end zone. Wilcox no tell us. Wilcox no have honest dialogue with fan base or media. Cal Strong like that part about Leach.

Wilcox do many things strong. But he also do many things weak. Cal Strong think Wilcox need to get much stronger if he want to keep job long term and be strong coach. Wilcox need to be more like Cal, less like him.

Yogi58
Cal Strong! said:

calumnus said:

Cal Strong not happy about Wilcox. Cal Strong not unhappy either.

Wilcox no prove yet he can beat stanfurd. Cal Strong never happy when strongest university on earth lose to weakest university on earth.

Cal Strong also not happy with offensive production. Cal Strong not happy with not knowing what happened to our 3,000+ yard QB who do front flips into end zone. Wilcox no tell us. Wilcox no have honest dialogue with fan base or media. Cal Strong like that part about Leach.

Wilcox do many things strong. But he also do many things weak. Cal Strong think Wilcox need to get much stronger if he want to keep job long term and be strong coach. Wilcox need to be more like Cal, less like him.
Not retweeting fake anti-Obama video strong. Not using Twitter at all very strong. But bad offense weak.
Cal Strong!
Yogi Bear said:

Not retweeting fake anti-Obama video strong. Not using Twitter at all very strong. But bad offense weak.
Cal Strong no think Leach strong in every way. Cal Strong disagree with many weak things Leach do.

But Cal Strong no "happy" with Wilcox either. Wilcox need to tell fans basic information about injuries. Wilcox need to score more points. Wilcox need to beat stanfurd. Then Cal Strong be happy . . . throw big party. Strong balloons and smoothies for everyone.
Yogi58
Cal Strong! said:

Yogi Bear said:

Cal Strong no think Leach strong in every way. Cal Strong disagree with many weak things Leach do.

But Cal Strong no "happy" with Wilcox either. Wilcox need to tell fans basic information about injuries. Wilcox need to score more points. Wilcox need to beat stanfurd. Then Cal Strong be happy . . . throw big party. Strong balloons and smoothies for everyone.
Yogi no think Air Raid offense very strong. Yogi think running the ball on 3rd and 2 and making it strong. But Yogi think leading conference in scoring per game stronger than being last. Cal not last! Cal should be more like Leach on offense, less like Baldwin.
calbearinamaze

Cal Strong not happy with not knowing what happened to our 3,000+ yard QB who do front flips into end zone. Wilcox no tell us.

BEARUPINDC really like what Cal Strong say. Hope Bowers get shot as grad-transfer.
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
BearSD
Cal Strong! said:

Wilcox no have honest dialogue with fan base or media. Cal Strong like that part about Leach.
Leach has a lot of dialogue with the media. He says a lot of colorful things. That doesn't mean he's open and honest about what's going on inside his team.
dajo9
Sebastabear said:

Not a fan in general but I do enjoy his press conferences and his posting/liking/retweeting (whatever the hell it was) that monkey tackling video. Got a few points for that.
I enjoy Cardi B but I don't want her coaching the dance team
American Vermin
okaydo
I agree with Cai Strong. See -- even a guy in Ecuador can see what's wrong with our program.
calumnus
okaydo said:

I agree with Cai Strong. See -- even a guy in Ecuador can see what's wrong with our program.

I thought Cal Strong lives in Egypt?
okaydo
calumnus said:

okaydo said:

I thought Cal Strong lives in Egypt?

Me no know difference between Egypt and Eritrea and Ecuadoria. Me brain no strong.
Sebastabear
dajo9 said:

Sebastabear said:

I enjoy Cardi B but I don't want her coaching the dance team
Wait, did Cardi B start locking recalcitrant dancers in a storage shed? If so, I'm giving her a fresh look.

Kidding aside, it's hard to imagine a worse cultural fit for Cal than Mike Leach and probably vice versa. These two kids should never get together.
PtownBear1
Yes Leach wouldn't be a fit now, but you can't compare present day Leach whose lived in the backwoods of Washington for the past 6 years in making that determination.

Dykes for instance was quintessential Texan but really embraced Cal and the Bay Area. And Harbaugh was as bananas as Leach if not crazier and worked miracles at Furd.

Regardless it's a moot point but I'm just saying present day Leach could have been very different had he spent some time in the Bay Area, which was a possibility since he was he unemployed back in the early 2010s.
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong still live in Egypt! Living in Egypt NOT WEAK. Living in Egypt STRONG . . . like Cal!!!

Cal STRONG!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.