Rev 1 update to my football predictions....

6,254 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Blueblood
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I waited to do my first revision to my earlier predictions until after the second LOI Day extravaganza. My thinking was that you never know who Cal might just bring in! Boy, the silence of the Cal athletic department's fax machine was deafening!

Remember, my initial football predictions that were posted on 1/9/19 were premised upon essentially a status quo Bear football team for next season; to date, this still looks to be the plan.

I mean, Cal has signed a new five-year deal with Head coach Wilcox to stay under contract through the 2023 season paying him millions of dollars more. Then, Wilcox forthwith announces that he is restructuring his coaching staff-assistants. The only reason that he is doing that, from what I can tell, is merely to better line up these coaches with their pre-Cal coaching bailiwicks.

Cal looks the same to me, but what about the Bears' opponents?

PROJECTED 2019 CAL FOOTBALL SCHEDULE OUTCOMES, Revision 1

UC Davis - Oh hum, this is Cal's traditional early sacrifice to the football gods; this is a Cal WIN. Sure UC Davis was a Big Sky co-champion last season, but I don't think their offense faced anything like Cal's sturdy defense. I just hope that the same won't be observed when Cal's offense goes up against the Aggies's d.

@ Washington - Petersen should be able to develop another good defensive unit given the Huskies' recognized stellar recruiting, which was recently capped by landing two of the top defensive players on the West Coast. The Huskies signed **** safety Asa Turner out of Carlsbad and **** linebacker Daniel Heimuli from East Paly. This plus the Huskies 6'-6" ***** QB Eason, a transfer from Georgia (who won the Gatorade National Player of the Year in 2015) should make the loss of Browning hardly noticeable. Don't hold your breath for a repeat upset, this will be a Cal LOSS, especially considering UDub will also have an extreme partisan home field advantage.

North Texas -The Mean Green had a pretty good 9-4 record last season. Their junior QB, Mason Fine, threw for 3,793 yards with 27 TDs, becoming the program's all-time leading passer and earning his second-straight Conference USA Offensive POY honor. NT apparently had a good QB coach; too bad for them that this coach, Harrell, is now at u$C. Anyway, Cal will have home field advantage, a good pass defense, and more overall depth foretelling a second Bear WIN.

@Ole Miss- With no more bowl ban and with hiring ex-P12 head coaches Arizona Rich Rodriguez as OC and Colorado Mike MacIntyre as DC, Ole Miss has got be a different team than last season's undisciplined 5-7 one. A possible immediate contribution (he might go into MLB) to this foreshadowed difference is the recent commitment of *****RB phenom Jerrion Ealy (19th ranked overall prospect), who chose Ole Miss over Alabama and u$C. This game is another tossup but looks like another Cal road LOSS because of home field disadvantage and because the Rebels should definitely be prepared for whatever Cal brings as their OC and DC have faced Wilcox's Bears before and won.

Arizona State - ASU desperately needs to find a starting QB. The odds are that Sun Devils will find one; they have 6 QB candidates on their current roster and have 3 more QB recruits coming in this fall. If ASU does find that QB, he will have a lot of help from All-American TB Eno Benjamin, who set a school-record 1,652 yards rushing (fourth most in the country), running behind five returning offensive linemen who started games last season. This tossup game is slightly tilting towards a Cal LOSS.

@Oregon- This will likely be Cal's third road LOSS given Oregon's several years of outstanding **** recruiting, their head coach staying, and knowing that Herbert is returning at QB. The talent-laden Ducks will most likely be nationally ranked in the AP Top 25 when Cal meets them in the infamous Autzen Stadium.

Oregon State- zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...uh...nothing 'ahappenin' here. The perennial bottom-dweller Beavers just don't have the talent, so home field advantage and game go to the Bears for a much-needed (third or, if really lucky, fourth) WIN.

@Utah - Don't let the Utes' Holiday Bowl loss fool you; Utah will be a formidable offensive and defensive opponent for our Bears. Whittingham was playing a red-shirt freshman in their bowl game because not only was their starting QB Huntley injured but also their starting All-Pac-12 TB Moss and leading WR Covey too. All three will be returning, along with defensive All-Pac-12'ers DE Anae, DT Fotu, and CB Blackmon. With home field advantage to Utah, this game looks like a fourth road LOSS for the Bears against another probable nationally ranked team.

Washington State Well Leach has recently got word that his QB heir-apparent EW grad transfer Gubrud, who has thrown for incredible 9,984 yards with 87 TD passes for the Eagles and was a two-time finalist for the Walter Payton Award (given to the best offensive player in FCS), just won an appeal for an additional year of eligibility. He is expected to enroll for the spring semester so he can participate in spring practice. Like Cal, Wazzu also gave Pac-12 COY Leach an extension to 2023 so if he lasts that long it looks like Coach Wilcox will be going up against Leach's pass-crazy spread offenses for the next five seasons! Even though this game will be played in Berkeley, it sure is starting to feel like another Cal LOSS.

u$C- u$C has decided to keep Clay Helton as head coach, but Helton is still on the hot seat, thus he had to wiped his staff clean. He has chosen North Texas' Harrell to be the OC and QB coach, gambling that he will do what he did for the Mean Green's QB Fine for ***** QB JT Daniels also. So, it seems that u$C is going to the spread offensive style given that Harrell is a Leach disciple. Why not, given the slew of highly rated wide receivers the Trojans have and will have, like *****Vaughns, **** 6'-4" Grimes, *****St. Brown, **** 6'-3" Ford, **** 6'-5" London, etc., etc. As a result, Cal will probably be facing yet another nationally ranked team which will vengefully enjoy oinking Cal for a LOSS.

@dirty stanfurd- Costello isn't going pro. I guess its samo-samo for the furds too, as they didn't add any more recruits. I look at this Big Game as Cal's last chance, especially if a post-season bowl game is at stake. So, at best this is probably yet another toss-up contest, but I'm still going with an upset WIN for Cal to bring the Axe back to Berkeley!

@ucla- The Bruins appear to have just experienced a lackluster recruiting effort. Therefore this and Chip's retooling still in-progress could mean that QB transfer Modster could have the ultimate revenge game. So, for now, this game's outcome looks like it's wavering on whether Modster will be able to develop as the season progresses so as to magically transformed Cal into a winner. Otherwise, it's a more-of-the-same between soph QBs Garbers and "pick-six" Thompson-Robinson. Smoggy home field advantage goes to ucla, but Cal has the better defense, so this is still a Cal WIN with the understanding that Brandon plays at a position other than QB!

I realize that the above still glumly predicts Cal to have a 5-7 season and no post-season bowl appearance. If Modster or Garbers gel, Cal could bring in additional victories against Ole Miss and Arizona State for a flip-flop 7-5 season or, at worst, a 6-6 season if the mighty Bears can't upset the furds.
Blueblood

"I got my cigs from Smokey dah Bear!"

FYI, my Rev 2 should come out after Spring Practices are completed or if some truly major impact news happens, especially that which may involve Cal football, of course.

Go Bears!
heartofthebear
Wasn't WR Noa still with the team when you made your initial prediction?
That seems like a big change to me.
I'm not saying 5-7 is optimistic. I think it is about right.

I can also see a scenario where Cal goes 7-5 but that is assuming that they somehow exhume the Cal offense from whence it has been buried.
calumnus
heartofthebear said:

Wasn't WR Noa still with the team when you made your initial prediction?
That seems like a big change to me.
I'm not saying 5-7 is optimistic. I think it is about right.

I can also see a scenario where Cal goes 7-5 but that is assuming that they somehow exhume the Cal offense from whence it has been buried.

The wins at Stanford and at UCLA to finish the season will depend on everyone staying healthy and morale keeping up if our only PAC-12 win to that point is OSU. Either we are better and win more earlier or I think we will be worse. Hopefully our offense comes together and we win more of those earlier games.
Bobodeluxe
The board will be pining for Sonny after this season.
71Bear
Bobodeluxe said:

Corleone?
Blueblood
Bobodeluxe said:

Bono?
NVBear78
Hmm, 5 and 7. Sounds similar to your prediction last year, and what was the actual record?
blungld
Bobodeluxe said:

Rollins?

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Blueblood
NVBear78 said:

Hmm, 5 and 7. Sounds similar to your prediction last year, and what was the actual record?
Let's see, Cal's actual record (excluding the post season bowl loss) was 7-5, and my early prediction for last season put forth on 4/18/18 was 5-7. I was off by two games. Of course, what threw me off were the two surprising totally unforeseeable upsets of UDub and u$C in L.A..

Note, I don't believe my predictions were that far fetched or too unreasonable, especially with respect to the two above games. I wasn't alone from the pessimistic to the optimistic. For instance, on 4/15/18, the terse Richard_Lee made a rare appearance to post, "What probably will happen: 8-4, with losses to USC, UW, Oregon, and probably Stanford." Even the sunshine pumper Bear8 on 4/16/18 posted, "i (sic) am of record at 9-3, with losses to Wash, AZ and SC.

Anyway, I think what's crucial to be aware of in my current predictions is that I don't expect such type of upsets to occur again, especially with regards to UDub and the Trojans. Why so? Simple, Cal looks to put essentially the same team (maybe less so because of recent graduations and transfers) and coaches on the field, whereas UDub and u$C (see my 2019 predictive blurbs) have made major adaptive adjustments to avoid such upsets next season.

This is why my 2019 early predictions are "similar" to my 2018 ones.
heartofthebear

Hey BB, are you going to revise this after spring ball. Some of our new "difference makers" will be in for spring. I want to see if they are going to make a difference first .
Blueblood
heartofthebear said:

Hey BB, are you going to revise this after spring ball. Some of our new "difference makers" will be in for spring. I want to see if they are going to make a difference first .
Definitely yes that is my plan. Of course, you do understand that revision will also include any relevant news about any "difference maker" of Cal's opponents.

I will be observing the QB competition, of course, not so much to see if any current Cal QB is surprisingly capable of big time success but more to see what Modster brings to the table so to speak.
cal83dls79
Bobodeluxe said:

Parker?
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
cal83dls79
I only posted this to avoid the basketball threads.
I'm really in agreement with anything or anyone you want to fire or hire. It just feels so positive over here I just want to spread my wings. Wow .feels so free
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
kelly09
Our D should be stellar. Bynum, Davis and Weaver are proven. Tevin Paul and Cameron Goode have shown real ability There are four or five other players who I expect to be really good on the defense.
The offense has got to get better. We may be a five win team but I expect we will be a very 'tough out'.
upsetof86
I think ole miss, ASU, Wazzu, and SC are also winnable and I am being serious here. Agree UW, ORE, Utah are the toughest and least likely to have an off day for our benefit. I'm not saying we win all of those to get to 9. I am saying 9 games are winnable with a Garber's year 2 or a better performer at QB at the helm. I think winning more than half (5) is being barely a fan but still a fans pick. I would say 6-6 or 7-5 is a die hard fans pick (meaning we win 6-7 of the 9 winnable games). 8 or more is the stuff of liquid courage. Of which I partake abundantly. But I'm going with 7-5 again. Why? Because I think we were an 8-4 team last year if not for some horrendous qb/turnovers that I don't expect to happen 3 times in a row like last year.
Blueblood
upsetof86 said:

I think ole miss, ASU, Wazzu, and SC are also winnable and I am being serious here. Agree UW, ORE, Utah are the toughest and least likely to have an off day for our benefit. I'm not saying we win all of those to get to 9. I am saying 9 games are winnable with a Garber's year 2 or a better performer at QB at the helm. I think winning more than half (5) is being barely a fan but still a fans pick. I would say 6-6 or 7-5 is a die hard fans pick (meaning we win 6-7 of the 9 winnable games). 8 or more is the stuff of liquid courage. Of which I partake abundantly. But I'm going with 7-5 again. Why? Because I think we were an 8-4 team last year if not for some horrendous qb/turnovers that I don't expect to happen 3 times in a row like last year.
You Premium Board guys sure are hung up on loyalty? So, you're a'say'in there are three levels of fandom that you clowns recognize? I guess that I am "barely a fan"...oh darn....but you upsetof86 went from being "liquid courage" to just a common "die hard fan."....shame on you...let's hope the other Premium Board members of BI don't see this admission!
Bear19
cal83dls79 said:

I only posted this to avoid the basketball threads.
I'm really in agreement with anything or anyone you want to fire or hire. It just feels so positive over here I just want to spread my wings. Wow .feels so free
Wait until the Fire Beau Baldwin Season starts. FG posters are using WJ as Spring Practice.
upsetof86
Blueblood said:

upsetof86 said:

You Premium Board guys sure are hung up on loyalty? So, you're a'say'in there are three levels of fandom that you clowns recognize? I guess that I am "barely a fan"...oh darn....but you upsetof86 went from being "liquid courage" to just a common "die hard fan."....shame on you...let's hope the other Premium Board members of BI don't see this admission!

Replace fan with sunshine pumper. Or fan..atic supporter. But intentionally made ambiguous to suggest a measure of disloyalty...as tongue in cheek.
txwharfrat
Blueblood said:

I waited to do my first revision to my earlier predictions until after the second LOI Day extravaganza. My thinking was that you never know who Cal might just bring in! Boy, the silence of the Cal athletic department's fax machine was deafening!

Remember, my initial football predictions that were posted on 1/9/19 were premised upon essentially a status quo Bear football team for next season; to date, this still looks to be the plan.

I mean, Cal has signed a new five-year deal with Head coach Wilcox to stay under contract through the 2023 season paying him millions of dollars more. Then, Wilcox forthwith announces that he is restructuring his coaching staff-assistants. The only reason that he is doing that, from what I can tell, is merely to better line up these coaches with their pre-Cal coaching bailiwicks.

Cal looks the same to me, but what about the Bears' opponents?

PROJECTED 2019 CAL FOOTBALL SCHEDULE OUTCOMES, Revision 1

UC Davis - Oh hum, this is Cal's traditional early sacrifice to the football gods; this is a Cal WIN. Sure UC Davis was a Big Sky co-champion last season, but I don't think their offense faced anything like Cal's sturdy defense. I just hope that the same won't be observed when Cal's offense goes up against the Aggies's d.

@ Washington - Petersen should be able to develop another good defensive unit given the Huskies' recognized stellar recruiting, which was recently capped by landing two of the top defensive players on the West Coast. The Huskies signed **** safety Asa Turner out of Carlsbad and **** linebacker Daniel Heimuli from East Paly. This plus the Huskies 6'-6" ***** QB Eason, a transfer from Georgia, who won the Gatorade National Player of the Year in 2015, should make the loss of Browning hardly noticeable. Don't hold your breath for a repeat upset, this will be a Cal LOSS, especially considering UDub will also have an extreme partisan home field advantage.

North Texas -The Mean Green had a pretty good 9-4 record last season. Their junior QB, Mason Fine, threw for 3,793 yards with 27 TDs, becoming the program's all-time leading passer and earning his second-straight Conference USA Offensive POY honor. NT apparently had a good QB coach; too bad for them that this coach, Harrell, is now at u$C. Anyway, Cal will have home field advantage, a good pass defense, and more overall depth foretelling a second Bear WIN.

@Ole Miss- With no more bowl ban and with hiring ex-P12 head coaches Arizona Rich Rodriguez as OC and Colorado Mike MacIntyre as DC, Ole Miss has got be a different team than last season's undisciplined 5-7 one. A possible immediate contribution (he might go into MLB) to this foreshadowed difference is the recent commitment of RB phenom Jerrion Ealy (19th ranked overall prospect), who chose Ole Miss over Alabama and u$C. This game is another tossup but looks like another Cal road LOSS because of home field disadvantage and because the Rebels should definitely be prepared for whatever Cal brings as their OC and DC have faced Wilcox's Bears before.

Arizona State - ASU desperately needs to find a starting QB. The odds are that Sun Devils will find one; they have 6 QB candidates on their current roster and have 3 more QB recruits coming in this fall. If ASU does find that QB, he will have a lot of help from All-American TB Eno Benjamin, who set a school-record 1,652 yards rushing (fourth most in the country), running behind five returning offensive linemen who started games last season. This tossup game is slightly tilting towards a Cal LOSS.

@Oregon- This will likely be Cal's third road LOSS given Oregon's several years of outstanding **** recruiting, their head coach staying, and knowing that Herbert is returning at QB. The talent-laden Ducks will most likely be nationally ranked in the AP Top 25 when Cal meets them in the infamous Autzen Stadium.

Oregon State- zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz...uh...nothing 'ahappenin' here. The perennial bottom-dweller Beavers just don't have the talent, so home field advantage and game go to the Bears for a much-needed (third or, if really lucky, fourth) WIN.

@Utah - Don't let the Utes' Holiday Bowl loss fool you; Utah will be a formidable offensive and defensive opponent for our Bears. Whittingham was playing a red-shirt freshman in their bowl game because not only was their starting QB Huntley injured but also their starting All-Pac-12 TB Moss and leading WR Covey too. All three will be returning, along with defensive All-Pac-12'ers DE Anae, DT Fotu, and CB Blackmon. With home field advantage to Utah, this game looks like a fourth road LOSS for the Bears against another probable nationally ranked team.

Washington State Well Leach has recently got word that his QB heir-apparent EW grad transfer Gubrud, who has thrown for incredible 9,984 yards with 87 TD passes for the Eagles and was a two-time finalist for the Walter Payton Award (given to the best offensive player in FCS), just won an appeal for an additional year of eligibility. He is expected to enroll for the spring semester so he can participate in spring practice. Like Cal, Wazzu also gave Pac-12 COY Leach an extension to 2023 so if he lasts that long it looks like Coach Wilcox will be going up against Leach's pass-crazy spread offenses for the next five seasons! Even though this game will be played in Berkeley, it sure is starting to feel like another Cal LOSS.

u$C- u$C has decided to keep Clay Helton as head coach, but Helton is still on the hot seat, thus he had to wiped his staff clean. He has chosen North Texas' Harrell to be the OC and QB coach, gambling that he will do what he did for the Mean Green's QB Fine for ***** QB JT Daniels also. So, it seems that u$C is going to the spread offensive style given that Harrell is a Leach disciple. Why not, given the slew of highly rated wide receivers the Trojans have and will have, like *****Vaughns, **** 6'-4" Grimes, *****St. Brown, **** 6'-3" Ford, **** 6'-5" London, etc., etc. As a result, Cal will probably be facing yet another nationally ranked team which will vengefully enjoy oinking Cal for a LOSS.

@dirty stanfurd- Costello isn't going pro. I guess its samo-samo for the furds too, as they didn't add any more recruits. I look at this Big Game as Cal's last chance, especially if a post-season bowl game is at stake. So, at best this is probably yet another toss-up contest, but I'm still going with an upset WIN for Cal to bring the Axe back to Berkeley!

@ucla- The Bruins appear to have just experienced a lackluster recruiting effort. Therefore this and Chip's retooling still in-progress could mean that QB transfer Modster could have the ultimate revenge game. So, for now, this game's outcome looks like it's wavering on whether Modster will be able to develop as the season progresses so as to magically transformed Cal into a winner. Otherwise, it's a more-of-the-same between soph QBs Garbers and "pick-six" Thompson-Robinson. Smoggy home field advantage goes to ucla, but Cal has the better defense, so this is still a Cal WIN with the understanding that Brandon plays at a position other than QB!

I realize that the above still glumly predicts Cal to have a 5-7 season and no post-season bowl appearance. If Modster or Garbers gel, Cal could bring in additional victories against Ole Miss and Arizona State for a flip-flop 7-5 season or, at worst, a 6-6 season if the mighty Bears can't upset the furds.

I'm not sure about a Big Game win just yet, but ASU, , Wazzu, and $C could be wins. I'm going with 7-5 with the offense being much improved. Super super sunshine pumping here. But only road win is fUCLA.
JSC 76
I'm usually a sunshine pumper, but I have grave concerns about next season. Our most pressing need is Offense (duh). But we did nothing to improve the coaching (except addition by subtraction, taking Tui away from the QB's) and we've lost our most impactful RB and WR's.

Remember the QB situation a year ago? Bowers was "serviceable" but in Year 2 we expected he'd step up. And if not, we had a hotshot transfer or green freshman who could step in. We're in the exact same situation now.

I think 2019 will be a repeat of 2018 -- we'll only go as far as our Defense can carry us.

71Bear
I prefer lumping games into three groups...

Probable wins
Toss-ups
Probable losses

Probable wins: UC Davis, Oregon State, North Texas, UCLA
Toss-ups: Mississippi, Washington State, Arizona State, USC
Probable losses: Washington, Oregon, Utah, Stanford

Split the toss-ups and you have a bowl-eligible team.....

YamhillBear
71Bear said:

Probable wins
Toss-ups
Probable losses

Is that last statement correct? Didn't the Pac-12 go to a 6-win eligibility threshold, (and the wins have to be FBS so UC Davis wouldn't count)?
Blueblood
upsetof86 said:

Blueblood said:

upsetof86 said:

Replace fan with sunshine pumper. Or fan..atic supporter. But intentionally made ambiguous to suggest a measure of disloyalty...as tongue in cheek.
Are you sure that's the right kind of cheek you're tongue is in?....ugh!

...and...by the way, where in the hell is "Yamhill?"
71Bear
YamhillBear said:

71Bear said:

Probable wins
Toss-ups
Probable losses

Is that last statement correct? Didn't the Pac-12 go to a 6-win eligibility threshold, (and the wins have to be FBS so UC Davis wouldn't count)?
One FCS win/year counts towards the required six wins.
rswahn52
One of our difference makers has been there for about a year. In my opinion Will Craig was as good as anyone from Granite Bay in the last few years and that includes a 1st team preseason All American MLB who played at USC. I have not missed a Granite Bay game in a long time and I started calling Will IHOP. I think you will see what I mean now that he is a Soph. Go Bears
Blueblood
rswahn52 said:

One of our difference makers has been there for about a year. In my opinion Will Craig was as good as anyone from Granite Bay in the last few years and that includes a 1st team preseason All American MLB who played at USC. I have not missed a Granite Bay game in a long time and I started calling Will IHOP. I think you will see what I mean now that he is a Soph. Go Bears
I'll go with your apparently expert firsthand assessment. BI posters savor good news whenever we can get it.

Go Bears!
YamhillBear
Blueblood said:

upsetof86 said:

Blueblood said:

upsetof86 said:

Hey, don't bring me into this, I didn't make any comments on this part of the thread! And Yamhill is in Oregon, southwest of Portland.
Bear8
BB, this is the Sunshine Pumper. I see a very tough schedule that only allows for 6, max 7 wins next season. All the really contentious games are on the road. I wouldn't call the Bruins a sure win. They put it to us last year. Stop Josh Kelley and we may have a chance. To me, it isn't coach Kelly, its player Kelley. I feel more strongly about Ole Miss than some of the other games. While I recognize that they have hired Rodriguez and McIntyre as a signal they are ready for a west coast team, both coaches were fired for good reason. Maybe they're better coordinators than head coach, maybe not.

I would love to see us put an end to the Stanford streak, but someone please tell me why and how. Josh Drayden fell down and Minshaw threw an easy pass to his receiver for a td in the last minutes of the contest. That was the game and, oh, by the way, it was played at Pullman. Minshaw's gone and Leach has to demonstrate that his transfer from EWU is worth it. This is where BB can show off. CMS isn't particularly kind to Leach.

Can Graham Harrell channel Kliff Kingsbury? Again, maybe, maybe not. While you've listed a dramatic list of receivers at SC, I can list a dramatic list of defenders at Cal. I believe we have a good shot at this one. ASU is something of a puzzle. So many qbs, including Jayden Daniels, the kid we wanted badly. A dual QB, but also a freshman. They usually pack it and run as a frosh, because they aren't used to going through progressions. Focus on stopping his running by staying in your lane and he is forced to look for receivers. Our chance for interceptions a la Brandon McIlwain.

I agree that Wash, Ore and Utah are tough outs on the road.

Blueblood
YamhillBear said:

Blueblood said:

upsetof86 said:

Blueblood said:

upsetof86 said:

Hey, don't bring me into this, I didn't make any comments on this part of the thread! And Yamhill is in Oregon, southwest of Portland.
Oh, it's just my crude way of saying things to upsetof86. Yammie 8>) I like you.

Blueblood
Bear8 said:

BB, this is the Sunshine Pumper. I see a very tough schedule that only allows for 6, max 7 wins next season. All the really contentious games are on the road. I wouldn't call the Bruins a sure win. They put it to us last year. Stop Josh Kelley and we may have a chance. To me, it isn't coach Kelly, its player Kelley. I feel more strongly about Ole Miss than some of the other games. While I recognize that they have hired Rodriguez and McIntyre as a signal they are ready for a west coast team, both coaches were fired for good reason. Maybe they're better coordinators than head coach, maybe not.

I would love to see us put an end to the Stanford streak, but someone please tell me why and how. Josh Drayden fell down and Minshaw threw an easy pass to his receiver for a td in the last minutes of the contest. That was the game and, oh, by the way, it was played at Pullman. Minshaw's gone and Leach has to demonstrate that his transfer from EWU is worth it. This is where BB can show off. CMS isn't particularly kind to Leach.

Can Graham Harrell channel Kliff Kingsbury? Again, maybe, maybe not. While you've listed a dramatic list of receivers at SC, I can list a dramatic list of defenders at Cal. I believe we have a good shot at this one. ASU is something of a puzzle. So many qbs, including Jayden Daniels, the kid we wanted badly. A dual QB, but also a freshman. They usually pack it and run as a frosh, because they aren't used to going through progressions. Focus on stopping his running by staying in your lane and he is forced to look for receivers. Our chance for interceptions a la Brandon McIlwain.

BB, this is the Sunshine Pumper. [Well start a'pumpin'] I see a very tough schedule that only allows for 6, max 7 wins next season. [uh huh yes that's possible as that is in the range that I posited.] All the really contentious games are on the road. I wouldn't call the Bruins a sure win. [No contentiousness from me, as I concur.] They put it to us last year. Stop Josh Kelley and we may have a chance. To me, it isn't coach Kelly, its player Kelley. I feel more strongly about Ole Miss than some of the other games. [I would also if RB Ealy decides to play pro baseball, otherwise Cal may run into an early Josh Kelly situation like where he ran for about 157 yards against Cal last season!]. While I recognize that they have hired Rodriguez and McIntyre as a signal they are ready for a west coast team, both coaches were fired for good reason. [Sure but I have to feel that they're better than two assistant coaches with little experience.] Maybe they're better coordinators than head coach, maybe not. [In my predictions I give them the benefit of your expressed doubt because they have coached teams that have beaten Cal.]

I would love to see us put an end to the Stanford streak, but someone please tell me why and how. [If anybody does, you should pass it along to Wilcox, too.] Josh Drayden fell down and Minshaw threw an easy pass to his receiver for a td in the last minutes of the contest. That was the game and, oh, by the way, it was played at Pullman. Minshaw's gone and Leach has to demonstrate that his transfer from EWU is worth it. [Well sure, but until then COY Leach did do such with Minshaw and others before, that is, doing such is not new to Leach, and with none of his previous transfers not having stats anywhere near Grubrud's, my prediction again gives Wazzu the benefit of the doubt.] This is where BB can show off. CMS isn't particularly kind to Leach.

Can Graham Harrell channel Kliff Kingsbury? Again, maybe, maybe not. While you've listed a dramatic list of receivers at SC, I can list a dramatic list of defenders at Cal. I believe we have a good shot at this one. [Like you say, maybe, maybe not.] ASU is something of a puzzle. So many qbs, including Jayden Daniels, the kid we wanted badly. A dual QB, but also a freshman. They usually pack it and run as a frosh, because they aren't used to going through progressions. Focus on stopping his running by staying in your lane and he is forced to look for receivers. Our chance for interceptions a la Brandon McIlwain. [Maybe, maybe not, but it is my understanding that Jr. QB Dillon Sterling-Cole is looking like the starter. He lost a lot of weight so he's down to 222. At 6'-3" he also runs and passes.]

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.