Oregon DC Leavitt Leaving....

7,262 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheSouseFamily
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wonder why?

Fyght4Cal
This is surprising. After all the talk of Leavitt promoting to an HC position failed to materialize, I thought he was set to stay at OU. Hmm, maybe it was Cristobl spreading those rumors, after all.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Beardog26
Leavitt is a good DC (he was Colorado when they were very good a couple years ago, albeit with mostly upperclassmen on the defense). Oregon has recruited a ton of good young talent so they'll be good regardless, but I suspect this move hurts them a bit, at least in the short term.
NVBear78
Doesn't Leavitt have some serious baggage from the past-is he being forced out? If so would seem to be from issues other than performance on the field. Iris he leaving of own accord to be free for other college or pro possibilities?

Sounds like they will be more to this story..
Bobodeluxe
Fans of a conference rival team need to know about the DC position at Oregon. Why did he leave it?

See what I did?
TheSouseFamily
I'm sure there will be an interesting explanation to this. Leavitt seems to be great coach but he's got a few screws loose too. Never a good idea to head butt a player wearing a helmet for example.

If I'm not mistaken, the new DC Heyward worked under Sirmon at Louisville a couple years ago.

socaliganbear
He was also the highest paid assistant in the PAC.
going4roses
I wonder who they will get to replace him.

I see they just filled there WR coach position also...
AEM80
He had two years and $3.4 million left on contract. So I don't think he left on his own. Unless he did something for cause, they'll owe him the whole $3.4 million. That's unless he takes another job.
71Bear
going4roses said:

I wonder who they will get to replace him.

I see they just filled there WR coach position also...
Co-DC Heyward will take over.
Bear19
What does he know about offense? Just wondering.
heartofthebear
Bear19 said:

What does he know about offense? Just wondering.
I'm pretty sure he studies offense for a living
tequila4kapp
They were desperate for improved D play just a year or so ago. I'm shocked they got rid of him. There really must have been some behind the scenes stuff going on.
oski003
Can he coach basketball?
socaliganbear
tequila4kapp said:

They were desperate for improved D play just a year or so ago. I'm shocked they got rid of him. There really must have been some behind the scenes stuff going on.
Given how much they were paying him, I wonder if they figure they can get the same results at a quarter of the price who also recruits.
AEM80
That's the thing. They won't be paying less. Not in the short term. The new DC gets a big bump in pay and they'll still be paying Levitt. Has to be a lot more to the story. I could see them getting rid of him at the end of his contract. To do it with two years left is pretty shocking.
golden sloth
SPECULATION ALERT: Oregon's announcement is a bit weird.
If it were health related, both sides would have said as much.
If it were personal in nature, Oregon would have said as much.
If it was bad behavior that is personal in nature, Oregon would have said it was something along the lines of not living up to the standards of the University.
If it was recruiting related, Oregon would have tried to get out of ahead of it, and announced an investigation.
If it was player treatment related, Oregon might try to bury it.
If it was mismatching personalities with the head coach, Oregon might try to bury it.

I'm left thinking it is one of either player treatment, or mismatching coaching personalities. Either way it is a win for Cal as I thought Leavitt was pretty good.
BearSD
It's probably about friction between Cristobal and Leavitt. They thought this might solve itself by Leavitt getting a head coaching job, but he didn't, so now he leaves with a wad of Uncle Phil's cash and either goes somewhere else as a coordinator or retires.
socaliganbear
AEM80 said:

That's the thing. They won't be paying less. Not in the short term. The new DC gets a big bump in pay and they'll still be paying Levitt. Has to be a lot more to the story. I could see them getting rid of him at the end of his contract. To do it with two years left is pretty shocking.
Could've agreed to a lower buyout, depending on the circumstances.
wifeisafurd
BearSD said:

It's probably about friction between Cristobal and Leavitt. They thought this might solve itself by Leavitt getting a head coaching job, but he didn't, so now he leaves with a wad of Uncle Phil's cash and either goes somewhere else as a coordinator or retires.
You wonder what decisions Wilcox would have made re: the offense if he had this type of money to throw around.
socaliganbear
wifeisafurd said:

BearSD said:

You wonder what decisions Wilcox would have made re: the offense if he had this type of money to throw around.

Decide to get one.
BearSD
wifeisafurd said:

BearSD said:

Yup. They're paying out a ton of money when you consider that it's only a coordinator they are buying out: The Oregon athletic department statement said, "The agreement will be funded by athletics entirely from private sources and has a maximum amount of $2.5 million, payable over multiple years and subject to reduction based on future employment."

With donors offering up that kind of money, a head coach could clean up any case of buyer's remorse.
going4roses
When the players picked Mario the writing was on the wall. It was only a matter of time Levitt checked out with 3-4 games left last season. Initially he a hold over after taggart to hold that class together.

That is the word I'm getting
AEM80
I can't imagine a guy like Leavitt ever "checking out." That kind of infers he quit on the team. That may be the story their administration and fans are putting out there. You're talking about a very intense, crazy intense, lifelong football guy. Not the kind of guy who would check out half way through the football season, check out on his team, and more importantly his players. I think it was probably more of a philosophical split, an issue between him and Cristobal. Probably didn't get along that well. Partly because Cristobal got the job Leavitt probably wanted. And partly because Leavitt was out interviewing for head coaching positions. Nevertheless, I'm glad he's leaving. He's a very good coach. Doesn't recruit much but a very good coach.
oski003
He's going to Oregon St. Leavitt to Beaver
BearEatsTacos
This is odd timing if Leavitt was leaving because he felt like he didn't get the HC job. He could have left to be the DC for Taggart if that was the case.
NVBear78
oski003 said:

ROFLMAO, you win the internet today!!
going4roses
Not checked out tried his best to ruin things but

Checked out as far as "your input in game day prep is no longer needed thanks but no thanks" they held out hope he would find a HC job but alas it didn't happen thus here is your 2.5 and see yah

After the players picked Mario bros he was chopped liver to them aka spot holder until further notice
LACalFan
socaliganbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

Given how much they were paying him, I wonder if they figure they can get the same results at a quarter of the price who also recruits.
They aren't exactly struggling with recruiting. He must have really screwed up.
okaydo
We should hire Leavitt as our new OC.
71Bear
okaydo said:

Don't laugh. It wouldn't be the first time Cal convinced a DC at Oregon to become an OC at Cal.

Denny Schuler went from defensive coordinator UO in 1992 to offensive coordinator Cal in 1993. The old joke we used to tell was "as an OC, Schuler made a great DC".

calumnus
NVBear78 said:

oski003 said:

+1, nicely done.

Beaver (Jerry Mathers) is a Cal alum.
BearGoggles
NVBear78 said:

oski003 said:

Agreed.

Reminded me of this too

hanky1
71Bear said:

okaydo said:

Don't laugh. It wouldn't be the first time Cal convinced a DC at Oregon to become an OC at Cal.

Denny Schuler went from defensive coordinator UO in 1992 to offensive coordinator Cal in 1993. The old joke we used to tell was "as an OC, Schuler made a great DC".

Haha that's great trivia
packawana
This is great for us if we're looking to retain TDR long-term.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.