Transfer Questions

1 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 71Bear
MilleniaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is there a timeline on when transfer students have to declare? Specifically I'm thinking of the graduate transfers but it applies to regulars as well. Clearly there is no LOI day but I would think there has to be an application deadline at the destination school.

Also since it seems the new norm is that student athletes are going to leave after 3 years (even starters) does it make sense to redshirt them? Effectively we will never see a benefit of that 4th year of eligibility. Or would playing them the 1st year be too much of a negative? Just wondering how Cal will best adapt to the plethora of transfers.
Bear8
I've thought about the same things. Sometimes bringing in a JC player for two years is equivalent to a prep who redshirts and then leaves after the 3rd year. The JC player may bring more to the team than the prep. The maturity, experience, body growth and awareness of what to do with opponents who are bigger and faster has already passed. It's us fans who want the prep and not the JC. We want to follow his development, take joy in his 4 stars and look forward to his success and ultimately our success.

It's said the JC player is best the second year, because he has to get used to a new coaching philosophy and come to terms with his academic commitment. Aren't these the same hurdles for the prep?
TheSouseFamily
Some of the grad transfer decisions can drag on well into the summer. It was July when Dwight Tarwater committed to Cal, for example. They just have to be admittted and sign an aid agreement to be eligible and that can happen very late in the process. I remember Villanova announcing a grad transfer last year in late August, literally just before the start of school. That's not necessarily common though, but it can happen any time between now and the start of school basically.

Spring seems like the most common commitment period though. Ways and Bunting were April commits to us and Tre Watson was a May commit to Texas.
KoreAmBear
TheSouseFamily said:

Some of the grad transfer decisions can drag on well into the summer. It was July when Dwight Tarwater committed to Cal, for example. They just have to be admittted and sign an aid agreement to be eligible and that can happen very late in the process. I remember Villanova announcing a grad transfer last year in late August, literally just before the start of school. That's not necessarily common though, but it can happen any time between now and the start of school basically.

Spring seems like the most common commitment period though. Ways and Bunting were April commits to us and Tre Watson was a May commit to Texas.
Remember we had that secret basketball grad transfer (now we know from Eastern Michigan) who didn't make the decision to ultimately stay until like right at the start of our fall semester?
TheSouseFamily
KoreAmBear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Remember we had that secret basketball grad transfer (now we know from Eastern Michigan) who didn't make the decision to ultimately stay until like right at the start of our fall semester?
How could i forget? And don't forget Matz Stockman who "committed" to Cal in July.
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

He supposedly isn't having the best of senior years, but damn, we coulda used him this season. And then, maybe Jordan Brown might've been okay on coming here.

Oops, wrong board.
RichyBear
In 1975 when Cal had the number 1 offense in the country, our backfield was composed entirely of JC transfers. The halfback, Chuck Muncie, was in his 3rd year at Cal. The QB Joe Roth, and the Fullback, Tom newton, were in their FIRST year at Cal. The backup QB, Fred Besana, was also a JC transfer,
\ SOmetimes you strike gold with JC transfers.
71Bear
RichyBear said:

In 1975 when Cal had the number 1 offense in the country, our backfield was composed entirely of JC transfers. The halfback, Chuck Muncie, was in his 3rd year at Cal. The QB Joe Roth, and the Fullback, Tom newton, were in their FIRST year at Cal. The backup QB, Fred Besana, was also a JC transfer,
Of course, some of us remember when Cal used to "park" recruits who were not academically eligible out of HS at Laney College with the idea they would transfer once they received their AA. John McGaffie and Irby Augustine come right to mind as guys who fit that description.
calbearinamaze
The looong case of combo-guard Geno Crandall's grad-transfer from North Dakota to Gonzaga was
not solidified until Oct 1 2018.

It's a good story with intersection with Max Stockman.
calbearinamaze
My bad. That's Matz not Max. I had Stockman penciled in as our starting center....for about 20 minutes.
ddc_Cal
RichyBear said:

Wasn't that before the freshmen were allowed to play?

I remember that $C stashed players all the time so they could play football while waiting for their frosh year to expire. Hal Bedsole was one of them.
Larno
Freshman were allowed to play again in 1972. That was the year freshman Vince Ferragamo led Cal to a dramatic rain-soaked win in the Big Game.
Jackieridgle
Larno said:

Freshman were allowed to play again in 1972. That was the year freshman Vince Ferragamo led Cal to a dramatic rain-soaked win in the Big Game.

It actually didn't rain during the game, in fact, the sun was out for the entirety of the game. The field was a quagmire as you infer.
kelly09
JC football was big in and of itself. Remember the Potato Bowl? In te Bay Area the game in which Laney (Augustine, Mcgaffie) beat CCSF ( OJ and Cowlings) was huge. The top 20 JCs were all in California. Like Track & Field the heyday of JC football is gone from these parts.
71Bear
kelly09 said:

JC football was big in and of itself. Remember the Potato Bowl? In te Bay Area the game in which Laney (Augustine, Mcgaffie) beat CCSF ( OJ and Cowlings) was huge. The top 20 JCs were all in California. Like Track & Field the heyday of JC football is gone from these parts.

Augustine and McGaffie transferred from Laney the year before I got there. Through a friend who was on the Laney newspaper staff, I got field passes regularly to watch them play at Cal. Yep, JC ball was serious business in those days.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.