Glad we didn't recruit this guy--but we did get a shout out of sorts

3,199 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mvargus
79 Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/a-fake-football-recruit-successfully-catfished-way-to-a-3-star-ranking/ar-BBTC6W6?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp
sp4149
RhetoriCal Bear said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/a-fake-football-recruit-successfully-catfished-way-to-a-3-star-ranking/ar-BBTC6W6?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp
We didn't recruit Kevin Hart either, but that was back when we were ignoring Nevada football until they whacked us a couple of times..
YamhillBear
We'll never compete until we start successfully recruiting fake 4-star and 5-star players.
chalcidbear
Wait, let's not be too hasty here.

Maybe Cal should recruit this guy. A 3-star OT sounds exactly like what we can use, especially if Alabama supposedly saw something they like.

Sure, I get it, the guy doesn't exit - that doesn't mean he couldn't be more productive than some of our other players, does it?

But it may be moot anyway - I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he wouldn't have had the academics to qualify here.

He'll probably end up at SC.
wifeisafurd
chalcidbear said:

Maybe Cal should recruit this guy. A 3-star OT sounds exactly like what we can use, especially if Alabama supposedly saw something they like.

Sure, I get it, the guy doesn't exit - that doesn't mean he couldn't be more productive than some of our other players, does it?

But it may be moot anyway - I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he wouldn't have had the academics to qualify here.

Would he be afraid to compete if he doesn't exist?
PtownBear1
So Rivals just decided to give this fake OL 3 stars because of his purported offers? Did I read that correctly?
bonsallbear
A none and done.
Big C
chalcidbear said:

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking: You beat me to it!

A 3-star is a 3-star is a 3-star. We're in no position -- yet, anyway -- of passing on 3-star recruits, whether they exist, or not. What are we going to do, offer all 4-5 star guys and then not have any sort of backup plan when they go elsewhere?

Besides, if anybody could coach this guy up, it's Greatwood!

Somebody should ask Wilcox about this guy at the recruiting event. No doubt, he'll respond with some line about not being able to talk publicly about guys they're after (either that, or cite a "lower body injury"), but I'm pretty sure that NCAA rule doesn't apply in the case of recruits that don't exist. That would constitute entrapment!
FuzzyWuzzy
Big C said:

chalcidbear said:

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking: You beat me to it!

A 3-star is a 3-star is a 3-star. We're in no position -- yet, anyway -- of passing on 3-star recruits, whether they exist, or not. What are we going to do, offer all 4-5 star guys and then not have any sort of backup plan when they go elsewhere?

Besides, if anybody could coach this guy up, it's Greatwood!

Somebody should ask Wilcox about this guy at the recruiting event. No doubt, he'll respond with some line about not being able to talk publicly about guys they're after (either that, or cite a "lower body injury"), but I'm pretty sure that NCAA rule doesn't apply in the case of recruits that don't exist. That would constitute entrapment!
At a minimum, we can use him to build recruiting MOMENTUM! The skill position guys love to see OL recruits on the board.
mvargus
PtownBear1 said:

So Rivals just decided to give this fake OL 3 stars because of his purported offers? Did I read that correctly?
That is completely understandable.

The big recruiting news sites can't actually review film on the thousands of graduating seniors who played high school football, so they largely work by watching for who gains the interest of coaches at top colleges.

Someone claiming to have an offer from Alabama will always end up with a rating. The 3 star just means that Rivals hadn't seen the player yet, but they can't imagine Nick Saban offering someone who is terrible.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.