The Transfer Portal - " be careful what you wish for"

5 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 71Bear
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
An interesting look at the positives and negatives of The Portal.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/18/transfer-portal-scholarship-limits-initial-counter-rule
Blueblood
71Bear said:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/18/transfer-portal-scholarship-limits-initial-counter-rule
Granted that I'm not keenly up on the transfer rule politics, but it seems to me that the concern highlighted by the recent use of this portal could be to the marginal student-players who received a scholarship after enrolling in their school. I mean, a head coach could have second thoughts about not renewing or otherwise be hesitant about re-awarding that scholarship, e.g., for a deserving walk-on, if a transfer player that could immediately impact the program is still out there dangling in the wind so to speak. In other words, s#!& rolls down hill, does it not, in that the transfer student would be the last to suffer?
71Bear
Blueblood said:

71Bear said:

Granted that I'm not keenly up on the transfer rule politics, but it seems to me that the concern highlighted by the recent use of this portal could be to the marginal student-players who received a scholarship after enrolling in their school. I mean, a head coach could have second thoughts about not renewing or otherwise be hesitant about re-awarding that scholarship, e.g., for a deserving walk-on, if a transfer player that could immediately impact the program is still out there dangling in the wind so to speak. In other words, s#!& rolls down hill, does it not, in that the transfer student would be the last to suffer?
Yep, as the article noted, walk-on's who could have been granted a scholie had it not been for the coach holding back to see what develops in the Portal are negatively impacted. Especially, since there is no time limit on guys entering the Portal - heck, they can wait to transfer right up until the beginning of the school term at the school to which they are transferring. I think we will see a number of guys realize late they are "not in the plans" and bail out at the last minute.
Bear19
71Bear said:

... heck, they can wait to transfer right up until the beginning of the school term at the school to which they are transferring. I think we will see a number of guys realize late they are "not in the plans" and bail out at the last minute.
And the reps they get in practice will have been wasted on them instead of someone who is staying.
going4roses
Maybe they should raise the 85 spots to 90 now ... ?

I wonder will depth across the board be affected at the point most upperclassmen are either starters or backs ups w/ some PT with everyone else influx?
71Bear
going4roses said:

Maybe they should raise the 85 spots to 90 now ... ?

I wonder will depth across the board be affected at the point most upperclassmen are either starters or backs ups w/ some PT with everyone else influx?
Five additional scholarships would be a financial hardship on most programs (incl. Cal). In essence, it would only result in the rich getting richer. It is simply not happening......
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.