OT 49ers making big moves

6,324 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oski003
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26084782/49ers-place-franchise-tag-kicker-robbie-gould

Rams better watch out! My apologies if this should be on the off topic board. After all, 49ers are not relevant in the NFL now or in the near future.
ColoradoBear
Since it's the off-season, I'll give some respect for the troll move.

Franchising a kicker is kinda hilarious.

$76 million in cap space for the Niners. Hope Jed and that Furd GM don't piss it away.
philbert
Franchising Gould only costs $5M of their cap space.

I'm sure Chicago wishes they had franchised him instead of letting him walk 2 years ago. They might have been playing in the Super Bowl instead of the Rams.
C6Bear
C6Bear
oski003 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26084782/49ers-place-franchise-tag-kicker-robbie-gould

Rams better watch out! My apologies if this should be on the off topic board. After all, 49ers are not relevant in the NFL now or in the near future.
Did you give any thought to this before posting such a short-sighted comment? The 49ers get to keep a lifetime 87% FG kicker for another year for very little hit on their cap. As philbert pointed out, it's something that the Bears wish they had done when they got the chance considering how their season ended last year. Who knows how the 49ers might have done last year without losing their franchise QB in week 2 and more DB's during the season than any team in the last decade. Even with those impediments, they came to play every week and never folded. Again, short-sighted saying they aren't relevant and will not be anytime soon.
71Bear
C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

Did you give any thought to this before posting such a short-sighted comment? The 49ers get to keep a lifetime 87% FG kicker for another year for very little hit on their cap. As philbert pointed out, it's something that the Bears wish they had done when they got the chance considering how their season ended last year. Who knows how the 49ers might have done last year without losing their franchise QB in week 2 and more DB's during the season than any team in the last decade. Even with those impediments, they came to play every week and never folded. Again, short-sighted saying they aren't relevant and will not be anytime soon.
Anyone who suggests any team will "not be relevant soon" is foolish.

For example...

1979 SF 49ers were 2-14 (tied for worst record in the league)
1981 SF 49ers were 13-3 and won the Super Bowl

Turning a program around doesn't take much in pro sports.......

Alkiadt
71Bear said:

C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

For example...

Give me another example.
We all know you love that ****ty franchise.
philbert
The Rams improved pretty rapidly....

2018 13-3-0

2017 11-5-0

2016 4-12-0

Another Bear
Bring back Hairball and Kap!!!
Peanut Gallery Consultant
Eastern Oregon Bear
Alkiadt said:

71Bear said:

C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

For example...

Give me another example.
Here's a whole list of examples that I found on line for you:

1975 BALTIMORE COLTS (2-12 TO 10-4)
1976 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (3-11 TO 11-3)
1988 CINCINNATI BENGALS (4-11 TO 12-4)
1999 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (3-13 TO 13-3)
1999 ST. LOUIS RAMS (4-12 TO 13-3)
2001 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (5-11 TO 11-5)
2004 PITTSBURGH STEELERS (6-10 TO 15-1)
2004 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (4-12 TO 12-4)
2008 MIAMI DOLPHINS (1-15 TO 11-5)
2013 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (2-12 TO 11-5)
2016 DALLAS COWBOYS (4-12 TO 13-3)
2017 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (3-13 TO 10-6)
My favorite school days… “There is no substitute.”
71Bear
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

71Bear said:

C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

For example...

Give me another example.

I guess that takes care of that....

Alkiadt
Yeah, but the niners ownership is still ripping off fans like you
ducky23
C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

When the original poster made fun of this move again in a different thread, i asked him why it was a bad move, he couldn't give me an answer.

Gould has his whole family in Chicago. He desperately wants to return. He definitely would've left if the niners didn't franchise him.

The niners know Gould wants to go back to Chicago. They also know Chicago wants Gould. So they are using this move to leverage a trade with the bears (probably for a late round pick).

Even if they don't get a trade, worst case they keep Gould for a 5m cap hit (another kicker probably 2-3m).

Niners probably won't come close to cap limit this year anyways.

And the niners had no one else to use franchise tag on anyways.

So again, I'd love to hear why this is a bad move.
oski003
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

71Bear said:

C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

For example...

Give me another example.

Awesome list. Perhaps the 49ers can be one of the 12 instances of crappy teams in the last 50 years to be good the next season after a crappy season.
oski003
C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

Did you consult Sonny Dykes before posting your excuses?
ducky23
71Bear said:

C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

For example...

If the niners get Beckham and are able to use the giants pick to get an effective pass rusher, they could turn around quite quickly.

Unit2Sucks
I love the niners but come on. Jed is a disaster of an owner and it's hard to imagine this ship turning around that quickly with him at the helm. The niners enjoyed some success under Harbaugh and Baalke because Jed wasn't really involved.

The reality is that strong ownership is overwhelmingly represented in championship winners. How many doofus' like Jed York have you seen win lately? Eddie isn't walking in that door anytime soon so I would be loathe to predict any meaningful turn around for this franchise.
Cal8285
Unit2Sucks said:

I love the niners but come on. Jed is a disaster of an owner and it's hard to imagine this ship turning around that quickly with him at the helm. The niners enjoyed some success under Harbaugh and Baalke because Jed wasn't really involved.

The reality is that strong ownership is overwhelmingly represented in championship winners. How many doofus' like Jed York have you seen win lately? Eddie isn't walking in that door anytime soon so I would be loathe to predict any meaningful turn around for this franchise.
It isn't like Eddie was a great owner. What got the 49ers Super Bowl championships were two things, hiring Bill Walsh, and having Policy be ahead of the curve when the salary cap was first instituted. Of course, the latter weakened the team after the January 1995 Super Bowl win.

But the first two years were a disaster because Eddie hired Joe Thomas, then he threatened to fire Bill Walsh so often that Walsh made the premature decision to retire. Then he foolishly fired Seifert for Mooch. Not that Seifert was a great coach, but better for the 49ers than Mooch. And things went downhill. Sure the Yorks have been pretty disastrous, making it tough to get the franchise turned around, but it isn't like Eddie D walking in the door would be a cure. If the ghost of late 70's and 80's Bill Walsh could walk in the door, THEN there could be a meaningful turnaround.
Unit2Sucks
Eddie D was arguably the first modern owner and you are way under-selling the impact he had on the 9ers and the game generally.

Here's a good article (and not coming from some homer): https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2012-10-23-sns-rt-fbn-49ers-columnsxaa78ba1-20121023-story.html

Quote:

Defining DeBartolo's career by championships, however, would be an injustice, kind of like saying, well, Joe DiMaggio had a nice streak that one year in 1941.

Continuing the baseball analogy, DeBartolo was the Babe Ruth of modern owners. He set the standard for those who followed.

One of them was Jerry Jones, who said DeBartolo "was a great owner, not a good owner, a great one, and what he did really helped the NFL be what it is today."

One of them was Bob Kraft, who has molded the New England organization into a not-as-successful version of DeBartolo's 49ers. Where did Kraft get his ideas on putting the organization together? One of his first acts after buying the franchise was to fly to San Francisco to see how the 49ers did it.

71Bear
Unit2Sucks said:

Eddie D was arguably the first modern owner and you are way under-selling the impact he had on the 9ers and the game generally.

Here's a good article (and not coming from some homer): https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2012-10-23-sns-rt-fbn-49ers-columnsxaa78ba1-20121023-story.html

Quote:

Defining DeBartolo's career by championships, however, would be an injustice, kind of like saying, well, Joe DiMaggio had a nice streak that one year in 1941.

Continuing the baseball analogy, DeBartolo was the Babe Ruth of modern owners. He set the standard for those who followed.

One of them was Jerry Jones, who said DeBartolo "was a great owner, not a good owner, a great one, and what he did really helped the NFL be what it is today."

One of them was Bob Kraft, who has molded the New England organization into a not-as-successful version of DeBartolo's 49ers. Where did Kraft get his ideas on putting the organization together? One of his first acts after buying the franchise was to fly to San Francisco to see how the 49ers did it.

Could not agree more. Eddie D. was responsible for the Niners rise to prominence. He spared no expense to make certain Walsh had everything he needed to win championships. No Eddie; no extended run as THE model franchise in pro sports.
Another Bear
The Niners really lucked out with Walsh and his talent evaluation and that new fangled West Coast offense. He picked and knew how to use Montana. He famously found Jerry Rice watching a game on a hotel TV. No Walsh, no exceptional talent and play calling/design. Eddie D backed into it but he had enough sense to roll with it and fund it all...including the coke and hookers. He probably would have rolled with if the Niners sucked but they didn't because of Walsh. Of course then Eddie D wanted credit for it all besides money bags and he got jiggy on Walsh. If Eddie were really smart, he would have left Walsh alone...and maybe could have gotten 3 more rings. (See patron of prostitutes, Bobby Kraft, for leaving a coach alone.) Oh well.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
philbert
Another Bear said:

The Niners really lucked out with Walsh and his talent evaluation and that new fangled West Coast offense. He picked and knew how to use Montana. He famously found Jerry Rice watching a game on a hotel TV. No Walsh, no exceptional talent and play calling/design. Eddie D backed into it but he had enough sense to roll with it and fund it all...including the coke and hookers. He probably would have rolled with if the Niners sucked but they didn't because of Walsh. Of course then Eddie D wanted credit for it all besides money bags and he got jiggy on Walsh. If Eddie were really smart, he would have left Walsh alone...and maybe could have gotten 3 more rings. (See patron of prostitutes, Bobby Kraft, for leaving a coach alone.) Oh well.
Maybe, but I recall reading that coaching really stressed Walsh out. It was a relief for him that they won his last SB game as opposed to elation and joy. He was more than ready to step down. Maybe Eddie D contributed to that stress level, but I'm not certain of that.
oski003
The 12-4 Bears were so disturbed by the 4-12 49ers franchising of their ex kicker that they went and Blewitt.
philbert
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26154410/bears-sign-blewitt-help-kicking-woes-really

wallyball2003
"Yeah, but". That's hilarious. Good comeback Potsie.
oski003
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-49ers-signing-rb-tevin-coleman-to-two-year-deal/ar-BBUK0GW

This is actually a good move. Last year, a 4-12 team was forcing a mediocore running back to play with severe injuries because they were so awful at running back, amongst other positions. His leg was practically falling off.
82gradDLSdad
Another Bear said:

Walsh was not Eddie D's first pick. He started by hiring crazy but successful GM Joe Thomas who went through 3 different no name coaches. Thomas was so bad that he fired him and then hired Walsh and GM John McVay (Sean's grandpa). So while Eddie did get lucky with Walsh it wasn't cause he just say back and let things work out on their own.
C6Bear
oski003 said:

C6Bear said:

oski003 said:

Did you consult Sonny Dykes before posting your excuses?
Sorry, I didn't realize you had so little knowledge of the game. I deal in reality, unlike yourself, not excuses.
oski003
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/latest-49ers-free-agent-signings-have-extensive-history-injuries

Maybe it's because they suck too much to get healthy players signed. Perhaps, they love to gamble. Regardless, you can't sign players with serious injury histories, such as furdite Sherman, and then complain that your team got hit with injuries.... unless you are named c6bear and KNOW football.
oski003
Suck it C6Bear. You obviously know less about football than the "little knowledge of the game" that I have.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/49ers-robbie-gould-trying-to-force-trade-san-francisco/l2nosrmn2vlu18s3khg0zogwu

49ers are a laughing stock.
GBear4Life
LOL this thread is funny.

Is there a Cap floor in the NFL like the NBA?
GBear4Life
Sadly, Niners have used 1st rd picks (#3, #7, #17) on DL in 3 of the past 4 years and still can't get to the QB.

If Niners hold their ground and Gould holds out all year, the Niners have the room to take the $5MM hit against the cap while presumably making all that salary back in real money from fines.
71Bear
GBear4Life said:

Sadly, Niners have used 1st rd picks (#3, #7, #17) on DL in 3 of the past 4 years and still can't get to the QB.

If Niners hold their ground and Gould holds out all year, the Niners have the room to take the $5MM hit against the cap while presumably making all that salary back in real money from fines.
They will probably trade Gould to the Bears.

As for your first paragraph, the three guys they drafted are all interior DLers. While Buckner has planned out, the other two have not (I would cut Thomas some slack because of the tragedy he endured just before the start of last season but Armstead does not look like a first rounder).

If (a very big if at this point) Bosa falls into their lap on Thursday, their pass rush will change dramatically.

ColoradoBear
GBear4Life said:

LOL this thread is funny.

Is there a Cap floor in the NFL like the NBA?

Yes, it's 89% of the cap, but calculated over a 4 year span. If one doesn't spend enough, they just have to give it to their own players (how that works not sure, as I don't think anyone has had to do it).

It's much better to take a small potential hit than to give a few bad contracts like what.happens in the NBA, thats for sure.
travelingbears
Alkiadt said:

Yeah, but the niners ownership is still ripping off fans like you

And the California Golden Bears have been ripping off fans like all of us for the past 60 years. #RosebowlBeforeIDie
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.