So this was Cal fashion 40 years ago?

9,070 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cal88
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-1979-Cal-Berkeley-Bears-T-Shirt-Sz-M-Go-Bears-Go-Humping-UCB-NCAA-70s-Frat-/123664904194

Bobodeluxe
When students used to go to the games, these shirts were everywhere.
bearister
Oski has had a long history of moral depravity. This police body cam video was an exhibit in a recent criminal proceeding for lewd conduct in public:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
Yes, humping was all the rage. I'm pretty sure it had just been invented.
Muncie42
I was in ninth grade in 1979. I had one of these shirts. They were very popular.
okaydo
This was 3 years later. Look at all these immoral heathens.

I'm glad they made they made UC Berkeley more rigorous so that they could weed out all the party animals.

prospeCt

Son-of-California
Wow. I recognize and know so many people in that video. I bet if I looked hard enough, I could see myself. Also had one of those shirts.
Another Bear
As I recall, that period before the AIDS/HIV crisis was pretty frisky and uninhibited...da humping bears make sense. In any case...

Hey you kids get off my lawn!
Peanut Gallery Consultant
bearister
This picture was taken at the intersection of Channing and College in February, 1974, during the peak of the streaking craze. Someone ran an ad in the personals of the Daily Cal that there would be a streaking event at that intersection, if ancient memory serves, on a Friday night at 10 pm. Several thousand people showed up. I was there but not pictured. Two guys in my class at O'Dowd who went to Cal are in that picture.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
bearister said:

This picture was taken at the intersection of Channing and College in February, 1974, during the peak of the streaking craze. Someone ran an ad in the personals of the Daily Cal that there would be a streaking event at that intersection, if ancient memory serves, on a Friday night at 10 pm. Several thousand people showed up. I was there but not pictured. Two guys in my class at O'Dowd who went to Cal are in that picture.

I used to live at Channing and College. It was noisy as hell.
Bear8
All those babes that you worshipped but could never touch, they're now mothers and even grandmothers. Yikes!
Beardog26
I still have that shirt, from the early to mid 80s era!
BearDevil
Son-of-California said:

Wow. I recognize and know so many people in that video. I bet if I looked hard enough, I could see myself. Also had one of those shirts.

When the cheerleaders took their perch before the start of the '82 Big Game, my roommate took off like a shot to greet them. El Chapo proudly returned with a boda bag filled with Wild Turkey smuggled in via a pom pom pictured twice. Gotta cover all ports of entry.

A couple of weeks earlier, Brezhnev died. Don't remember the exact wording, but a butcher paper banner at a party that night was neither empathetic nor complimentary.

Didn't have the Bear banging shirt. Preferred the pastel script FUCLA shirts from the same era.
juarezbear
okaydo said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-1979-Cal-Berkeley-Bears-T-Shirt-Sz-M-Go-Bears-Go-Humping-UCB-NCAA-70s-Frat-/123664904194

I had this shirt along with the shirt with a bear clawing at some red feathers with ApoCALypse Now on it.
Another Bear
My favorite t-shirt from the 80s at Cal was a U-Clone t-shirt. Yellow with blue silkscreen, looked like "UC" from far away until you got close. Got it on Haight, haven't seen one since.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
blungld
okaydo said:

This was 3 years later. Look at all these immoral heathens.

My freshman year! So cool to see that. That camera person sure wishes they would have run that camera for those 5 seconds! Ooops.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
BearinOC
When I moved back home, my dad threw it away.
Oski87
Muncie42 said:

I was in ninth grade in 1979. I had one of these shirts. They were very popular.

Me too. My sister was at cal and gave it to me for Christmas. It was a hit with my high school buddies.

I got another one in the early 2000's when they were selling them in the way up to games in the street. Somewhat larger size. I still wear it when I want to piss my wife off or during poker night.
randythebear
Kemper Calvin Stone was the artist of the humping bears t-shirt. Kemper was a fraternity brother of Chuck Muncie. Kemper was on the Lair of the Golden Bear, Camp Gold staff in summers '75, '76, and '77 as the special projects director. He initiated a very popular soapstone carving art project. There were people, young and old, all over camp with files and a hunk of soapstone. Kemper had this old boat of a convertible. He scavenged the soapstone somewhere and hauled it up the hill to Pinecrest for use in his program. Kemper was a supporting actor star, playing camp manager Noel Helmbrecht, in the 1977 Friday Night Show, the Sound of Lair. Kemper continued to play a key role in the Lair's end of summer special interest weeks for more than 20 years. He had some battles with the Alumni Association over his clever t-shirt designs -- didn't get the deal he wanted to put his shirts in the camps stores; so he set up a t-shirt stand off the highway shortly before you get to the Lair. Campers would pull over and stock up. Kemper also designed, printed and sold the original and most famous "The Play" t-shirt, that showed a diagram of the play. Kemp also sold his shirts near the stadium on game days, which is where most people probably bought their humping bear t-shirts.
bear2034
Cal fashion now courtesy of Calvin Klein.

dbush518
Staff
I remember Harvey Salem, All-American offensive tackle, wearing one of those Go Bears t-shirts to a press conference.
Big C
randythebear said:

Kemper Calvin Stone was the artist of the humping bears t-shirt. Kemper was a fraternity brother of Chuck Muncie. Kemper was on the Lair of the Golden Bear, Camp Gold staff in summers '75, '76, and '77 as the special projects director. He initiated a very popular soapstone carving art project. There were people, young and old, all over camp with files and a hunk of soapstone. Kemper had this old boat of a convertible. He scavenged the soapstone somewhere and hauled it up the hill to Pinecrest for use in his program. Kemper was a supporting actor star, playing camp manager Noel Helmbrecht, in the 1977 Friday Night Show, the Sound of Lair. Kemper continued to play a key role in the Lair's end of summer special interest weeks for more than 20 years. He had some battles with the Alumni Association over his clever t-shirt designs -- didn't get the deal he wanted to put his shirts in the camps stores; so he set up a t-shirt stand off the highway shortly before you get to the Lair. Campers would pull over and stock up. Kemper also designed, printed and sold the original and most famous "The Play" t-shirt, that showed a diagram of the play. Kemp also sold his shirts near the stadium on game days, which is where most people probably bought their humping bear t-shirts.
Wow, sounds like he was a great contributor to the California Spirit! (I love stories like this.) Did he happen to ever say if the two humping bears were modeled after anyone? Or just generic Golden Bears...
kirklandblue
Indeed, that is exactly where I got my shirt, outside the stadium on game day, where he was selling them. Remembered meeting him through a friend in that fraternity. Still folded up, packed away in a box; could never bring myself to part with it.
Boot
bearister said:

I'm in this picture and it was cold and hysterical.
ncbears
I was with a young lady once upon a time around that time in a very similar position as depicted on the shirt and the young lady shouted "Go Bears Go". Maybe I shouldn't have laughed.
TheSouseFamily
ncbears said:

I was with a young lady once upon a time around that time in a very similar position as depicted on the shirt and the young lady shouted "Go Bears Go". Maybe I shouldn't have laughed.

prospeCt
good stuff, but how many cats picked up the 'Grenada Medical School - "The Harvard of the Caribbean"' shirt in vivid red on DKE house corner one hot sunny '83 Fall afternoon, collectors item
okaydo
BearinOC said:

When I moved back home, my dad threw it away.

You probably bought it for like $3. And now it's worthy $50. It's like your dad threw away Apple stock.
NYCGOBEARS
Boot said:

bearister said:

I'm in this picture and it was cold and hysterical.

Bet your butt doesn't look like that anymore.
LunchTime
okaydo said:

man, that shirt used to be the only non-rugby cal shirt I knew.
GranadaHillsBear
I thought this was going to be a thread about wearing an onion on the belt, cause that was the fashion of the time
ross
I remember Kemper Stone. He designed softball jerseys for us, white with yellow, and the logo "Liquor in the front, poker in the rear" on it. I dont recall the humping bears, though. Guess I missed it. He also made baggy army surplus pants, with a bear logo on the Butt. We called them "Gas pants", thinking they were originally used for chemical warfare. Who knows? He carved a beautiful large soapstone bear sculpture, I think, for Noel. That stuff WAS POPULAR, and we were (I was) so poor, but managed to afford his stuff anyway. I'll be at Gold this summer, week 5! First time back to the Lair in (YIKES) 40 years. Come by the fire for some beer inspired stories.
petalumabear
bearister said:

bearister.... what was the name of the burger joint in San Leandro that everyone went to? Was it Jerry's.? a bunch of BOD guys streaked there (amount other spots) in 1974-5 when I was still in school @ BOD...
wifeisafurd
In the '70's and 80's college was fun.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.