Story Poster
Cal Football

Browning Named Defensive Line Coach

February 27, 2019

Cal head coach Justin Wilcox announced Wednesday that Andrew Browning has agreed to become the Golden Bears' defensive line coach. Browning served in a quality control role on the defensive side of the ball at Cal in 2018 after five prior seasons as the defensive line coach at UTEP (2013-17) and three campaigns on the football staff at his alma mater Boise State (2010-12).

"Andrew has put in a tremendous amount of work and given a ton of his energy to be in position for this opportunity," Wilcox said. "I had the opportunity to witness firsthand his work ethic and commitment as a player at Boise State. He is an outstanding young coach who is tireless, as well as both an excellent student and teacher of the game. Andrew has applied what he has learned from some of the top coaches in the game and will be a valuable addition to our staff in his new role as defensive line coach."

"I am thankful to coach Wilcox and everybody at Cal for entrusting me with this opportunity to be part of an excellent coaching staff and work with a great group of student-athletes," Browning said. "We are building a program at Cal that everyone can be proud of, and I'm thrilled to be able to contribute and be a part of it in this new

capacity."

Notes:

Spent his first season at Cal as a quality control staff member on the defensive side of the ball in 2018 when the Golden Bears played in the Cheez-It Bowl to mark their first bowl appearance since 2015

Coached the defensive line for five seasons at UTEP (2013-17)

Tutored future NFL players James Davidson, Horace Miller and Roy Robertson-Harris during his UTEP stint

A Boise State staff member for three campaigns working in quality control (2010) and as a graduate assistant (2011-12) on the defensive side of the ball for teams that combined for a 35-4 record, won a share of Western Athletic Conference and Mountain West Conference crowns in 2010 and 2012, picked up bowl victories at the 2010 and 2011 Maaco Bowl, and 2012 Las Vegas Bowl, and were ranked in the final AP Top 25 all three seasons including a high of No. 8 in 2011

Boise State produced 12 all-league players during his three seasons on its staff

Earned first-team All-WAC and second-team Academic All-American honors from ESPN The Magazine as a 2006 senior at Boise State when he established career highs of 46 tackles, 11.0 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks for the Broncos' 13-0 Fiesta Bowl championship team that ranked No. 5 in the final AP Top 25

Added second-team All-WAC honors as a 2005 junior and honorable mention recognition during his 2004 sophomore season while finishing his four-year Boise State playing career that started as a walk-on as a 2003 freshman with 143 tackles, 21.5 tackles for loss and 12.5 sacks for teams that combined for a 46-6 record while playing in bowl games and winning at least a share of a conference title in each of his four campaigns, and were ranked in the final AP Top 25 on three occasions

Pursued a career in professional football and spent the 2008 season on the roster of the San Jose SabeCats before moving into coaching.

Discussion from...

Browning Named Defensive Line Coach

10,339 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calumnus
bonsallbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not impressed
NVBear78
Very impressed. And word from players (thanks Goo) is that he is a real up and comer. Has 5 years DL coaching experience, spent time before that with Wilcox at Boise State and is a good recruiter. What's not to like?
Blueblood
NVBear78 said:

Very impressed. And word from players (thanks Goo) is that he is a real up and comer. Has 5 years DL coaching experience, spent time before that with Wilcox at Boise State and is a good recruiter. What's not to like?
Well, for one thing his most recent DL experience is 5 years at UTEP. I may not be from Omaha but that fact doesn't seem to be a great recommendation to crow about. I mean, isn't UTEP considered one of the most laughing-stock football programs around, esp. when he was coaching there? They always seem to be establishing a new losing streak, ergo the UTEP DL could not have been worth s#!%!
Yogi58
bonsallbear said:

Not impressed
I was hoping we'd go after a rainmaker. Now I'm hoping he'll grow into one.
HungryCalBear
Any info how good a recruiter he is? Does he own an Xbox?
Yogi58
HungryCalBear said:

Any info how good a recruiter he is? Does he own an Xbox?
This is his boat he takes the recruits out on

socaliganbear
I think it's a good move. Unlike offense, we have a very clear identity and established system on defense. He fits into that.
GivemTheAxe
socaliganbear said:

I think it's a good move. Unlike offense, we have a very clear identity and established system on defense. He fits into that.

Good comments.
Not knowing anything about Browning I was initially leaning toward Bluebood's point of view on this hire.
But looking back on the performance of the team the Defense is a well oiled machine.

Equally important is that Wilcox is a genius on Defense and the DC is also no slouch. So both of them should be able to properly assess talent on the Defensive side of the ball. So Browning should work out.
71Bear
GivemTheAxe said:

socaliganbear said:

Good comments.
Not knowing anything about Browning I was initially leaning toward Bluebood's point of view on this hire.
But looking back on the performance of the team the Defense is a well oiled machine.

Equally important is that Wilcox is a genius on Defense and the DC is also no slouch. So both of them should be able to properly assess talent on the Defensive side of the ball. So Browning should work out.
Given his age and experience, it is nearly impossible to evaluate the guy. He could be a star in the making or turn out to just another journeyman on the road to a long career of changing jobs every couple years. FWIW, I give him the benefit of the doubt because he is a young guy. Good luck to him......
MilleniaBear
***? I thought we were going after a name coach like Les Miles or Tony Dungy! /s
juarezbear
GivemTheAxe said:

socaliganbear said:

Good comments.

Equally important is that Wilcox is a genius on Defense and the DC is also no slouch. So both of them should be able to properly assess talent on the Defensive side of the ball. So Browning should work out. I i
I echo comments asking about his recruiting skills as we always need that. Otherwise, I actually see this as an opportunity to grow our own so to speak, under JW and TDR's guidance.
Hail2Calif
71Bear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

socaliganbear said:

Good comments.

Given his age and experience, it is nearly impossible to evaluate the guy. He could be a star in the making or turn out to just another journeyman on the road to a long career of changing jobs every couple years. FWIW, I give him the benefit of the doubt because he is a young guy. Good luck to him......
Agree with the points on this thread.

Not like we were going to find someone that was going to universally impress this board from the outset - I mean we just lost our last guy to a lateral move but substantial raise so we weren't going to bring in an established and proven talent here.

Given he environment Browning will be working in, with both Wilcox and DeRutyer overseeing the D, if they both saw something in him, I will definitely give Browning the benefit of the doubt on the D side of the ball that we have a young guy with great potential if not yet an impressive resume.

Go Bears!
BearOnABike
I have no inside info, but I'm impressed with Wilcox. He likely brought Browning in last year because he knew Tui wasn't here for the long haul. He knew him as a player and got to see him in the program last year. The consensus seems to be that Sirmon was brought in to take over from DeRuyter when he leaves, so great planning on that side of the ball. As for the offense...
calumnus
71Bear said:

GivemTheAxe said:

socaliganbear said:

Good comments.

Well said. Congratulations and good luck to the young man. Go Bears!

Hopefully this also saves some money in case we need to change out the offensive staff at the end of the year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.