Attending games at Memorial in 2019 - What will motivate you?

11,229 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oskidunker
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
If you're considering attending a game(s) in 2019, what are you looking for to help push you over the top in buying tickets?

- Reports on the teams progress in Spring and Fall Camp (especially the offense)
- A QB starter being named?
- Adding more weapons on offense between now and September
- Gameday entertainment/food changes
- Preseason hype and rankings on Cal from Media
- Something else?
chalcidbear
For me, it's fairly simple: "Something else". to wit: I'm a fan of the Bears, and I go to every home game I can.
temagamibear
knowing the kick off time early enough to make plans
the late notice on game time is brutal when planning to come up from Los Angeles
NVGolfingBear
temagamibear said:

the late notice on game time is brutal when planning to come up from Los Angeles or Reno...
fify.
bearister
My tuition at Cal for 4 years had a total cost of $2,550. Therefore, just for starters, I owe the university the purchase of football and basketball season tickets for life regardless of the product rolled out.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
A DeSean Jackson or Tony Gonzalez* or Jared Goff or Justin Wilcox bobblehead.

Selling the Cal skateboard they give to VIPs to the general public.

(*A real Tony Gonzalez football-focused bobblehead.)
joe amos yaks
Home games that start between noon and 2 PM.

And free "Larry tzsuchs!" tee shirts.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Goobear
bearister said:

My tuition at Cal for 4 years had a total cost of $2,550. Therefore, just for starters, I owe the university the purchase of football and basketball season tickets for life regardless of the product rolled out.
Very kind Bearister!
going4roses
Geez us
Bobodeluxe
bearister said:

You overpaid. Cost me eight fitty, cold ones. Oh wait, the state picked up the tab.

To the question, more hipity-hop in the breaks, and bringing back tiny football-golf-field-goal challenge.
OdontoBear66
Bobodeluxe said:

bearister said:

You overpaid. Cost me eight fitty, cold ones. Oh wait, the state picked up the tab.

To the question, more hipity-hop in the breaks, and bringing back tiny football-golf-field-goal challenge.
How about $89.00 a year and it wasn't even called tuition. It was called and incidental fee, which I believe covered your medical too.

Worked in canneries in the summer in Sunnyvale and made tuition and room and board. Hashed tables at Bowles and Stern as well as dishwashing and made play money. Obviously that cannot be done anymore.

My problem is that this means I am older than dirt.
Sebastabear
Just win baby.
Strykur
I am going no matter what, just not going to give the ATO a dollar.
RonO
temagamibear said:

the late notice on game time is brutal when planning to come up from Los Angeles
Nailed it, but the older than dirt comment below also works. Bear fan since Kapp, the player.
71Bear
Bobodeluxe said:

bearister said:

My total cost (fees, no tuition in those days) was $580 for two years (the two preceding JC years were free). This includes a $20 discount for attending one summer quarter. However, there was no rebate for classes that were cancelled as a result of the University being shut down after the "Cambodia Incursion".
Big C
1. Any kick-off time later than 5 PM is a no-go for my kids and reduces my personal chances of attending 50%.

2. Any kick-off time before 3 PM risks reducing our chances of going due to daughter's soccer (depending). I know, I know, many folks love a 1 PM kick-off and I used to, too, as well, but not right now.

(The best kick-off time for us is 3-4 PM.)

3. Let's get some offense. My 10 yr old son is an emerging football fan, but he still struggles to appreciate two defense-oriented teams battling it out. When the two of us "play" Cal football -- and we do it fairly often -- he still has us play the roles of Jared Goff and either Bryce Treggs or Kenny Lawler. Still!

(No desire to go back to the "horrible defense" days; let's just add some offense.)
3146gabby
Walking thru campus, remembering, and most of all appreciating what this university meant to me then and now; the ability to think about things beyond myself, to be exposed to intellectually remarkable people.

It is something in the air, maybe it was what Proust wrote about, but something intangible and lovely.

socaliganbear
Nothing really. I'm happy to fly out to as many games as I can. Unless the offense craters again, not much will keep me away.
hanky1
BearGreg said:

If you're considering attending a game(s) in 2019, what are you looking for to help push you over the top in buying tickets?

- Reports on the teams progress in Spring and Fall Camp (especially the offense)
- Something else?

Winning?
Hail2Calif
Attend every home game already. I actually can't remember the last one I missed. In recent year, life has blessed me enough I can attend most of the away games as well, so I probably miss 2, 3 tops a season.

On the other hand, I do have 4 seats and several times a year I am struggling to fill the entire 4 seats primarily because of the unpredictability of kickoff times.

If my oldest daughter in San Diego knew enough in advance to be able to book 14 day tix, I think she'd come up for at least a couple games a season

My younger daughter would have an easier time finding a guest for that 4th seat if we had more advance notice

My wife is the same in terms of schedule

For the record, as a family, we actually enjoy late afternoon / night games as it give each of us an opportunity to take care of other things during the day and finish off the day at Memorial - so even if we knew every game was 4pm or later, it would help all 4 of us make more games
KenBurnski
Coordinated cheers led by a passionate alumnus
Another Bear
To me a big part is getting there..a nice walk through campus, food, hanging out, maybe seeing some decent football. Overall, a nice 5-6 hours. Winning is great but, you know as Cal fans...might need something else.

re: fees/tuition...my dad paid $5 bucks a semester in the 40s. Was on the GI Bill and had a busboy gig in a SF night club that paid him $20 a night. That last stat kills me...one night of work, 4 semesters of fees. To do that today...that would be about $50k...in the 80's, about $2,800 bucks.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
wifeisafurd
I want to hear about practices and team matters because I'm interested.

When it comes to football, I'm going to make the trip up from LA to Memorial unless:

1) it is the C- team game;
2) it is a very late starting time;
3) it is a weekday game and I have conflicts, or
4) there is a conflict with Furd and they have a better game (happy wife, happy life guys).

The football product is good enough to keep me coming, even with bad traffic control, late announcements on game times, etc. I can't say the same for basketball right now. It is not worth the effort.
50+BigGames
For me, registration fees were $300 per year. Worked summer jobs and at the faculty club during school year to pay exoenses.
I just love being on campus. Night games are out. These days I can't make the 3 hour drive home starting at 10 or 11 pm.
"Our position, no tuition! "
okaydo
What will motivate me is bringing back California Field.

heartofthebear
What will motivate me?
When Cal is successful recruiting, coaching and playing on both sides of the ball.
The good news is that they are half way there.
wvitbear
I usually go to one game a year (I have season BBall tickets for both men's and womens). I want a day game early in the season. I occasionally go to away games.
GivemTheAxe
BearGreg said:

- Something else?

I will be motivated to attend if the Cal FB Team comes out on the field.
If so. I will be there.
If not, I will not be there.
I know that this sets a high bar. But so be it.
I refuse to show up if the team does not show up
HearstMining
I grew up in Berkeley and going to football games was just part of being a kid in the 60s, but my family didn't go, so except when I was a student, I never went to all the home games in a season. Living 2 hours away, I still don't feel compelled to do so. I was at the UNC game last year which may have been the worst half of any football game I've ever seen. Having said that, there's nothing quite like the first Cal football game of the season when hope springs eternal. I expect I'll get to several home games in 2019, but probably not all.
GivemTheAxe
OdontoBear66 said:

Bobodeluxe said:

bearister said:

How about $89.00 a year and it wasn't even called tuition. It was called and incidental fee, which I believe covered your medical too.

Worked in canneries in the summer in Sunnyvale and made tuition and room and board. Hashed tables at Bowles and Stern as well as dishwashing and made play money. Obviously that cannot be done anymore.

When did you start at Cal.
IIRC in 1963 incidental fees (tuition) at Cal for me were/was $50 per semester.
By the time I got into Boalt in 1972 after my stint in the US Army tuition was in the range of $1,200 ( IIRC .,,difficult to remember precisely). (And I believe tuition at Boalt was the same as undergrad).
Don't hold me to the foregoing precise numbers. It was a long time ago.
Suffice it to say that it was darn cheap.
So cheap that it truly was "incidental".
I was more concerned about scraping the money together for room, board and books.
Bobodeluxe
The late sixties saw a rapid climb in tuition from almost nothing to not much. Also, high schoolers got a big discount on credits.
GivemTheAxe
okaydo said:

Thanks for the aerial photo
Very interesting but confusing
Orienting off the Campanile, Doe Library and Wheeler. It is difficult to see Hearst Gym (unless it is the small building next to California field between that field and the Campanile)
More important why is there a track field adjacent to California field? I thought Edward Track Stadium was built in 1905. It should be just outside of the bottom of the picture.
OdontoBear66
GivemTheAxe said:

OdontoBear66 said:

Bobodeluxe said:

bearister said:

When did you start at Cal.
IIRC in 1963 incidental fees (tuition) at Cal for me were/was $50 per semester.
By the time I got into Boalt in 1972 after my stint in the US Army tuition was in the range of $1,200 ( IIRC .,,difficult to remember precisely). (And I believe tuition at Boalt was the same as undergrad).
Don't hold me to the foregoing precise numbers. It was a long time ago.
Suffice it to say that it was darn cheap.
So cheap that it truly was "incidental".
I was more concerned about scraping the money together for room, board and books.
Fortunately, as well as unfortunately I started in the Fall of '59; right after our last Rose Bowl visit and right after our National Championship runs of the previous two years. I left in the Fall of '62 to go to dental school, so I have technically never graduated from Cal, but from UCSF.
HighlandDutch
GivemTheAxe said:

okaydo said:

Thanks for the aerial photo
Very interesting but confusing
Orienting off the Campanile, Doe Library and Wheeler. It is difficult to see Hearst Gym (unless it is the small building next to California field between that field and the Campanile)
More important why is there a track field adjacent to California field? I thought Edward Track Stadium was built in 1905. It should be just outside of the bottom of the picture.
Hearst Gym was built in 1927, after Hearst Hall burned down in 1922.

http://pe.berkeley.edu/history/facilities.html
TomBear
As a season ticket holder, I'm already motivated to go. For me, it's what are the things which will NOT motivate me to go.

Here are the plusses:
A team that fights to the end and never gives up.
Walking through campus/campus area, and the buzz before the game.
Cal Band, particularly pre-game and the post game concert.
The student traditions from the cannon, to the yells, to hearing the Cal songs and the card stunts (as bad as they've gotten).
Fellowship with other Cal fans.
The beauty of the setting, and the architecture of CMS. Nothing compares.
Seeing the team fight and compete, win or lose. I prefer victory, but can tolerate some defeats if I feel the team performed to their ability and never gave up.

Here are the things that might de-motivate me:
A team that doesn't fight.
3 year olds doing "Bear Growls"
Hearing the words "Cal fans......" immediately at the stoppage of play. When play stops, the FIRST thing I want to hear is Cal Band. Then the marketing folks can do almost whatever they want. But give us Cal Band FIRST when play stops.
Since I come up from L.A., not knowing start times is destroying my travel enjoyment. I want to make plans ahead of time, and not knowing kickoff times is really draining me of my travel enthusiasm.
Thursday and/or Friday night games. Football was meant for Saturday afternoons. I won't fight L.A. traffic and my grueling work ethic to travel for a weekday game. Even if a Thursday or Friday night game is in L.A., I've done them before, and I hate them. Access, parking, long day........nope.
I am willing to do a night game or two. But the more games are put off into the evening, the less I get enthused.
Piped in crap.

Bottom line is this: If I wanted to watch the game only, I could stay at home and see the game in the comfort of my own couch, have my own easily accessible beverages and food, not fight for restroom time, not sit in a cramped seat that is very uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of (stadium interior seating design sucks!!!), and turn off the advertising. That's if I only wanted to watch the game. But I want the whole Cal experience. When the Cal Game Day experience is screwed up, then I'm left only with the game, and I can watch that on TV. Take note, marketing department.......and this time read your notes!

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.