Bowl changes coming....

5,412 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BearSD
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://watchstadium.com/news/college-football-bowl-game-changes-to-begin-in-2020-03-05-2019/
wifeisafurd
Thanks for posting, Vegas upgrade and an LA bowl, both in pro stadiums. Larry is doing something right. Holiday Bowl needs to get out of that dump - it really could be an excellent bowl as San Diego has lot to offer..
southseasbear
wifeisafurd said:

Thanks for posting, Vegas upgrade and an LA bowl, both in pro stadiums. Larry is doing something right. Holiday Bowl needs to get out of that dump - it really could be an excellent bowl as San Diego has lot to offer..
Crappy stadium.
GoldenB
wifeisafurd said:

There has been talk of moving the Holiday Bowl to Petco Park, even if temporary, as well as playing some San Diego State Aztec games there. Don't know how the stadium would look when modified for football but the location is fantastic near the Gaslamp.
Golden One
GoldenB said:

wifeisafurd said:

There has been talk of moving the Holiday Bowl to Petco Park, even if temporary, as well as playing some San Diego State Aztec games there. Don't know how the stadium would look when modified for football but the location is fantastic near the Gaslamp.
The location of Petco Park is ideal, but baseball stadiums make terrible venues for football games.
Bear8
Something bothers me about this. In a metropolitan area of 13 million and a squeaky clean new stadium in Inglewood, they have the best of the Mountain West versus the Pac12. Whereas, the new Vegas Bowl gets either the SEC or the BIG versus the third or fourth Pac12 team. Vegas is a tourist destination like no other, but if we're talking about football matchups they have it backward. I would love to see Alabama or Georgia or tOSU play the best of the west in Los Angeles. The MWC should be playing the third/fourth Pac12 team in Vegas. It's the home of the Running Rebels and they could draw a big crowd at the new stadium. Whoever painted this picture wasn't looking at the canvas.
71Bear
Bear8 said:

Something bothers me about this. In a metropolitan area of 13 million and a squeaky clean new stadium in Inglewood, they have the best of the Mountain West versus the Pac12. Whereas, the new Vegas Bowl gets either the SEC or the BIG versus the third or fourth Pac12 team. Vegas is a tourist destination like no other, but if we're talking about football matchups they have it backward. I would love to see Alabama or Georgia or tOSU play the best of the west in Los Angeles. The MWC should be playing the third/fourth Pac12 team in Vegas. It's the home of the Running Rebels and they could draw a big crowd at the new stadium. Whoever painted this picture wasn't looking at the canvas.
The P12 is reluctant to create significant competition for its premier bowl tie-in in the same metro area as the Rose Bowl.
golden sloth
Golden One said:

GoldenB said:

wifeisafurd said:

The location of Petco Park is ideal, but baseball stadiums make terrible venues for football games.
For bowl games, the location of the stadiums makes a huge a difference imo, and the loss of seating stemming from using a baseball stadium is mitigated by the fact that the ACC will rarely help bring a crowd that will sell-out the stadium. Yes, the sight lines might be worse than a football stadium, but I know I am far more likely to watch Cal play at the Giants ballpark rather than the Levy's disaster.
Golden One
golden sloth said:

Golden One said:

GoldenB said:

wifeisafurd said:

For bowl games, the location of the stadiums makes a huge a difference imo, and the loss of seating stemming from using a baseball stadium is mitigated by the fact that the ACC will rarely help bring a crowd that will sell-out the stadium. Yes, the sight lines might be worse than a football stadium, but I know I am far more likely to watch Cal play at the Giants ballpark rather than the Levy's disaster.
I'd attend any Cal football game played in Oracle Park, Levi's Stadium, Petco Park, Qualcom Stadium, or just about anywhere else (especially the Rose Bowl). And I also hate Levi's Stadium.
91/95
Urban Baseball stadiums make good locations for lower tier bowls.
Cheez-it/Emerald/Insight gameday fan experience better than Copper Bowl, Vegas Bowl or Holiday Bowl.

A crowd of 30-40k that lower tier bowls attract play better in a smaller stadium.
Downtown locales are good for bowls (we didn't have to rent a car for the Cheezit Bowl and walked to the game from the hotel). Also the new baseball stadiums tend to be nicer than the old football stadiums.

I would assume experiences at newer Football stadiums is good too
A lifetime of suffering as a Cal fan.
ColoradoBear
Bear8 said:

You are neglecting to mention that LA metro already has the Rose Bowl - the Pac needs to spread their top tiered bowls around geographically a bit.

LV is a big enough destination to draw an SEC or BT contract. A second game in LA wouldn't be a draw. Especially for the Big Ten.

It will be strange having a tiny crowd playing in the new Rams Stadium though.

71Bear
golden sloth said:

Golden One said:

GoldenB said:

wifeisafurd said:

I thought the Steve Levy disaster (from Tedford's perspective) occurred in San Diego.
Golden One
91Gypo said:

Cheez-it/Emerald/Insight gameday fan experience better than Copper Bowl, Vegas Bowl or Holiday Bowl.

Disagree!
Blueblood
Damn, Cal could be in the L.A. bowl probably almost every year if the Bears were a MWC member! What more could a mediocre Pac12 team ask for? *

* Sorry my keyboard is falling aprt!
Bobodeluxe
71Bear
Blueblood said:

Damn, Cal could be in the L.A. owl probably almost every year if the Bears were a MWC member! What more could a mediocre Pac12 teamask for?
What's a "teamask"? Is it a disguise you use when having tea with the Queen to conceal the fact you are not a subject of the Crown?
Bear8
71Bear said:

Bear8 said:

The P12 is reluctant to create significant competition for its premier bowl tie-in in the same metro area as the Rose Bowl.
With all respect to you, that just doesn't make sense. A Pac12 team will be playing a MWC team in Inglewood. So how does that affect the Rose Bowl. Frankly, the Rose Bowl has been the cite for two "foreign" teams fighting it out lately. No Pac12 team involved. Furthermore, we just came from the Cheez-It Bowl operated by the Fiesta Bowl people in the middle of a major metropolis, Phoenix. Shortly after our game concluded came the Fiesta Bowl. I didn't notice it being harmed by having the minor bowl precede it by a few days. That's a load of crap that the Rose Bowl, granddaddy of them all, could be harmed by the Pac12 champ playing an ACC/SEC team days or weeks before in another stadium. Are they fearful that the beauty of the new Rams stadium will make the Rose Bowl look old and tired?
GMP
Bear8 said:

71Bear said:

Bear8 said:

With all respect to you, that just doesn't make sense. A Pac12 team will be playing a MWC team in Inglewood. So how does that affect the Rose Bowl. Frankly, the Rose Bowl has been the cite for two "foreign" teams fighting it out lately. No Pac12 team involved. Furthermore, we just came from the Cheez-It Bowl operated by the Fiesta Bowl people in the middle of a major metropolis, Phoenix. Shortly after our game concluded came the Fiesta Bowl. I didn't notice it being harmed by having the minor bowl precede it by a few days. That's a load of crap that the Rose Bowl, granddaddy of them all, could be harmed by the Pac12 champ playing an ACC/SEC team days or weeks before in another stadium. Are they fearful that the beauty of the new Rams stadium will make the Rose Bowl look old and tired?

You missed the dumbest reason for the PAC-12 to be reluctant to create a bowl game in LA: the very real threat that a bowl game will be created there involving two non-Pac-12 teams. What a disaster that would be.
BearSD
Golden One said:

GoldenB said:

wifeisafurd said:

Also, they're not going to modify Petco Park to make a football field fit in there. That was a contingency plan that was floated. It's not needed now because a ballot measure that passed last year will give San Diego State control of the stadium formerly known as Qualcomm (now called "San Diego County Credit Union Stadium") and the land around it. SDSU will build a smaller stadium on that land and keep playing in the old stadium until the new one is finished.

ColoradoBear
BearSD said:

Golden One said:

GoldenB said:

wifeisafurd said:

Also, they're not going to modify Petco Park to make a football field fit in there. That was a contingency plan that was floated. It's not needed now because a ballot measure that passed last year will give San Diego State control of the stadium formerly known as Qualcomm (now called "San Diego County Credit Union Stadium") and the land around it. SDSU will build a smaller stadium on that land and keep playing in the old stadium until the new one is finished.

Sounded like the vote gave them the right to negotiate on the Qualcomm Stadium site plan, but nothing is finalized until the details are worked out.

Definitely hope it's done before our newly signed @ SDSU game happens, but things seem to face delays in CA.

Fyght4Cal
The SDSU stadium plan is happening. The sale of the land and the proposed stadium were approved by the voters. They'll negotiate the price, but the land is going to SDSU, period.

What is unclear right now is the Holiday Bowl's long term plan.

"We will negotiate an agreement with SDSU that respects taxpayers, fulfills the will of the voters and allows for the university's future growth."
- San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer

https://thedailyaztec.com/93425/news/sdsu-and-city-of-san-diego-announce-mission-valley-project-negotiating-teams/

SDSU Aztec Stadium builder selected

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/SDSU-Selects-Clark-Construction-to-Build-250M-Mission-Valley-Stadium-506550531.html

Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
BearSD
Fyght4Cal said:

The SDSU stadium plan is happening. The sale of the land and the proposed stadium were approved by the voters. They'll negotiate the price, but the land is going to SDSU, period.
Right. The questions are about time. When does SDSU's purchase close, and when will they have a new stadium open for business.

Seems likely they will get a deal with the city signed by the end of the year. That should officially allow SDSU to start implementing its plans, assuming that they don't do something stupid like get a deal that is so one-sided in favor of SDSU that someone goes to court and gets it blocked.

After that, they still have to finance a new stadium; presumably that means issuing bonds. SDSU says they want to have the new stadium ready as soon as possible, but on the other hand, once they get control of the land, they will own the old stadium, which means they won't have much incentive to hurry funding or construction. The old stadium stays in operation as long as SDSU football wants it or needs it.

At any rate, they ought to be able to have a new stadium open by fall 2025, which is when the Bears are scheduled to next play at SDSU.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.