OT: Stanford loses a star

2,614 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LunchTime
TandemBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stanford loses math Phd student and Olympic cyclist Kelly Catlin:

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2019/03/10/us-cycling-medalist-stanford-grad-student-kelly-catlin-dies-at-23/

"Kelly Catlin, a member of the U.S. women's pursuit team that won a silver medal during the 2016 Olympic Games, died Thursday night at age 23. Her death left her father describing "unbelievable" pain and her sister saying, "I want the world to know there was a human being underneath that hard shell"."

Condolences to the Stanford community and the Catlin family for losing such an amazing person. She sounded like a total over-achiever who excelled intellectually and athletically, pursuing a Phd in computational and engineering mathematics.

This story actually has a bit of a football-related aspect to it: she suffered a concussion recently and was struggling to recover from her injury. She apparently was suffering pretty debilitating effects. Unfortunately, she took her own life in her dorm room.

I have very fond memories of bicycle racing against our nemesis Stanford. Now I don't know if she rode or raced with the collegiate team, but I can't imagine she didn't at least train with them. The Stanford riders were very worthy rivals who always were there challenging us at the line. The Stanford riders even staged some in-race theater on one occasion. This is when the famous posh mustard commercial was running. One rider sidles up to his teammate, pulls a full baguette out of his jersey pocket and haughtily asks his teammate, "Excuse me Sir, would you happen to have some Grey Poupon? To which his teammate replies, "Why, of COURSE!" and proceeds to pull a jar of Grey Poupon out of his jersey! They slathered it on and enjoyed some French bread right in the middle of the road race! Classic! And the Stanford criterium was one of the best races of my life. So I owe them a debt of gratitude for making much of my collegiate cycling experience very memorable.

So I offer sincere condolences to her family, friends and colleagues who must be devastated.

82gradDLSdad
Really sad.
Beardog26
Such a tragedy. Thoughts and prayers for her family and friends. RIP!
LunchTime
Not to be morbid, but her supposed sister apparently posted on Reddit what the cause of death was soon after.

Connectivity is bonkers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.