OT: USC University Village

20,350 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by okaydo
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

It's like a Vegas hotelier opened up a college.

"Welcome to beautiful Venice!"

Actually, was Rick Caruso involves in this? Because it has all the fauxness of a Caruso project.

It is my understanding that the surrounding community has
benefitted greatly from the employment opportunities.
Of course. But that's neither here nor there.

Well, that is certainly Cal's philosophy with regard to its surrounding community.
And what's Cal's philosophy on taking bribes to let in unqualified dunderheads into its school.

Seriously, you choose today to continue to your love affair with USC AND take shots at Cal? I see that USC humility has rubbed off on you.
SC financed this the old fashioned way, through donations for naming rights. Enjoy you next visit to Haas, Hearst, Bowles, etc. Glass houses anyone?

One interesting sidelight to Caruso is the progressive (politically) developer is in trouble with a more conservative, old line group of trustees, lead by fellow billionaire developer Ed Roski, who want him removed.

Marshall's Advisory Board Urges Ouster Of USC Board Chair Caruso http://disq.us/t/3arm06x

UPDATE: USC Board Flap: Roski Chastised Caruso Over Meeting Conduct | Los Angeles Business Journal http://www.labusinessjournal.com//news/2019/jan/16/usc-board-flap-roski-chastised-caruso-over-meeting/
socaltownie
wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

Actually, was Rick Caruso involves in this? Because it has all the fauxness of a Caruso project.

Well, that is certainly Cal's philosophy with regard to its surrounding community.
And what's Cal's philosophy on taking bribes to let in unqualified dunderheads into its school.

Seriously, you choose today to continue to your love affair with USC AND take shots at Cal? I see that USC humility has rubbed off on you.
SC financed this the old fashioned way, through donations for naming rights. Enjoy you next visit to Haas, Hearst, Bowles, etc. Glass houses anyone?

One interesting sidelight to Caruso is the progressive (politically) developer is in trouble with a more conservative, old line group of trustees, lead by fellow billionaire developer Ed Roski, who want him removed.

Marshall's Advisory Board Urges Ouster Of USC Board Chair Caruso http://disq.us/t/3arm06x

UPDATE: USC Board Flap: Roski Chastised Caruso Over Meeting Conduct | Los Angeles Business Journal http://www.labusinessjournal.com//news/2019/jan/16/usc-board-flap-roski-chastised-caruso-over-meeting/
damm....I missed this soap opera. What is the beef with the Dean of the Business school?
wifeisafurd
calpoly said:

bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

I changed my mind after spending a lot of time there for 4 years. My daughter had a good time, got a good education, and a good job. I know more uppity Cal pr@cks from Piedmont and Orinda than I met at USC. And the good ole boys up North still go wink, wink and laugh at dumb jokes at the BoHo as they are getting their dumbf@ck spawn into Cal via back channels.
I am not aware of any special admissions (back channels) for non athletes at Cal. Can you please elaborate? By the way, I am glad that your daughter got a good education at USC. Cal and USC are not for everyone, it is important that your child finds the right place for them to thrive and grow and it sounds like USC was a good fit.
Many of our friends are SC people, because if you live in nice areas in LA or OC, they are your neighbors, law partners, club members, little league parents, etc. Yes, some of them are arrogant, especially about football, and when I get back from Vegas, I am going to have a good time needling them.

I have relatives that declined Cal for SC because they "wanted to make movies" or be a business major and work in LA, etc. . Bearister has it right, it is about fit for these kids, and my relatives had to achieve the academics to get in and study to get out (I'm not so sure about the film major candidly). And I'm sure Bearister and other Cal alums with kids at SC would say the same thing about their kids. Let's put things in perspective.

All that said, I'm not aware of any kids that got into Cal and didn't play sports, on some form of special admissions. The admission process is supposed to be blind in terms of who your parents are. At. best, maybe kids of employees get some benefit (like the Chancellor's kids), but that is about it. Certainly not donors. If donors could get their kids in, Cal would no longer have any operating deficits. I can assure you of that.
bearister
CaliforniaEternal said:

bearister said:

I changed my mind after spending a lot of time there for 4 years. My daughter had a good time, got a good education, and a good job. I know more uppity Cal pr@cks from Piedmont and Orinda than I met at USC. And the good ole boys up North still go wink, wink and laugh at dumb jokes at the BoHo as they are getting their dumbf@ck spawn into Cal via back channels.

You come across as a major doofus being an apologist for $C. .... $C has no notion of ethics and it's amazing what they tolerate at that institution compared to anywhere else...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfchronicle.com/education/amp/UC-Berkeley-mishandled-complaints-from-students-12718143.php

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfchronicle.com/crime/amp/UC-Berkeley-suspends-prominent-professor-accused-13629086.php
Big C
calpoly said:

bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

I am not aware of any special admissions (back channels) for non athletes at Cal. Can you please elaborate? By the way, I am glad that your daughter got a good education at USC. Cal and USC are not for everyone, it is important that your child finds the right place for them to thrive and grow and it sounds like USC was a good fit.
Traditionally (as in, well into this century... can't speak to right now), there have been other campus groups that could get candidates' applications flagged for slightly preferred admission. Applicants would need to have an academic profile within the range of other "regular" admits, but they would get a leg up over a hundred other kids that also had a 4.2 GPA and good test scores.
ncbears
I am aware of at least one non-athlete "special admit" in the 1980s for a University program. The student then ended up not participating in the program. It is my understanding that various programs had a slot or two that could be used.
I don't know if the student would have been admitted regardless, but the student definitely came in through a side door.
cal83dls79
Blow me and I say that with qualifications . I mean iots of these guys never played football, many never, played on a HS sports team, never played 3rd base all the whilst ...oh and and I never played for Janna in Houston
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
okaydo
cal83dls79 said:

Blow me and I say that with qualifications . I mean iots of these guys never played football, many never, played on a Hs team, never played 3rd baseball all the whilst doing oh and and I never played for Janna in Houston

Wha?!?!
CaliforniaEternal
bearister said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

bearister said:

You come across as a major doofus being an apologist for $C. .... $C has no notion of ethics and it's amazing what they tolerate at that institution compared to anywhere else...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfchronicle.com/education/amp/UC-Berkeley-mishandled-complaints-from-students-12718143.php

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfchronicle.com/crime/amp/UC-Berkeley-suspends-prominent-professor-accused-13629086.php

Ok, any last shred of integrity you had was just demolished by citing Nanette Asimov articles, queen of the Cal fake news gazette.

Were you rejected by some Orinda country club that has led to your current predilection?
NYCGOBEARS
I'm gonna cut bearister some slack because I really like him. His biggest sin was forgetting the audience to whom he was speaking to.

Also, he really loves Cal. Just because he does doesn't mean that his daughter should.
BearlyCareAnymore
bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

This is a Cal board. I really don't care what you think about USC. Cal people on a Cal board will take shots at Cal rivals. If you don't like hearing shots taken at USC you should stay away from boards of school that hate them. If my kid goes to Stanford I will not be here extolling Stanford's virtues, I will not be here whining that other people take shots at Stanford, and I will NEVER be ANYWHERE ripping Cal. It's been quite a while, but I used to be on USC's boards at times and they ripped Cal as often as we rip them. I didn't say anything because it's their board. How much time do you spend on their boards defending Cal? Yeah. Thought so. You want to take shots at Cal in a Cal board, you deserve to get thrashed.

And here is the truth. They have great students and faculty. I'm sure your daughter got a great education and had a great time. They also have an administration that has always cheated to get ahead, they take a huge number of legacies and frankly the parents weren't very bright, they game the academic rankings. They are the only school in this sordid affair that had this much insitutional exposure. That administration is flat out crooked and their alums support their behavior. If, a big if, Cal squeezes in a few rich kids, it is nothing compared to what USC has done historically and continues to do.

That sound you hear is my keys jingling at you.
NYCGOBEARS
OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

This is a Cal board. I really don't care what you think about USC. Cal people on a Cal board will take shots at Cal rivals. If you don't like hearing shots taken at USC you should stay away from boards of school that hate them. If my kid goes to Stanford I will not be here extolling Stanford's virtues, I will not be here whining that other people take shots at Stanford, and I will NEVER be ANYWHERE ripping Cal. It's been quite a while, but I used to be on USC's boards at times and they ripped Cal as often as we rip them. I didn't say anything because it's their board. How much time do you spend on their boards defending Cal? Yeah. Thought so. You want to take shots at Cal in a Cal board, you deserve to get thrashed.

And here is the truth. They have great students and faculty. I'm sure your daughter got a great education and had a great time. They also have an administration that has always cheated to get ahead, they take a huge number of legacies and frankly the parents weren't very bright, they game the academic rankings. They are the only school in this sordid affair that had this much insitutional exposure. That administration is flat out crooked and their alums support their behavior. If, a big if, Cal squeezes in a few rich kids, it is nothing compared to what USC has done historically and continues to do.

Yeah, you pretty much summed that up perfectly, as always.
bearister
OaktownBear said:

...This is a Cal board. I really don't care what you think about USC. Cal people on a Cal board will take shots at Cal rivals. If you don't like hearing shots taken at USC you should stay away from boards of school that hate them. ...How much time do you spend on their boards defending Cal? ... You want to take shots at Cal in a Cal board, you deserve to get thrashed....

I, bearister, hereby promise, that I will never again post on BI any factually based rebuttal to comments bashing a school that a Cal student or Cal grad is supposed to hate. I will also attempt to avoid upsetting my fellow born and bred Oaklander (I assume) in the future.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearBoarBlarney
bearister said:

I, bearister, hereby promise, that I will never again post on BI any factually based rebuttal to comments bashing a school that a Cal student or Cal grad is supposed to hate. I will also attempt to avoid upsetting my fellow born and bred Oaklander (I assume) in the future.
Thank you for doing the needful.
hanky1
bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

...This is a Cal board. I really don't care what you think about USC. Cal people on a Cal board will take shots at Cal rivals. If you don't like hearing shots taken at USC you should stay away from boards of school that hate them. ...How much time do you spend on their boards defending Cal? ... You want to take shots at Cal in a Cal board, you deserve to get thrashed....

Would it be better if everyone on BI promised never to make fun of USC again so you won't get defensive and feel the need to chime in? Would that make you feel better?
bearister
NYCGOBEARS said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

Yeah, you pretty much summed that up perfectly, as always.

NYCGOBEARS
bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

The use of a gif with an SC Alum is a nice touch.
bearister
NYCGOBEARS said:

bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

The use of a gif with an SC Alum is a nice touch.

BTW, he is supposed to be a major pr@ck, which is a nice Exhibit A for USC haters.
sp4149
bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

Is he having his diploma revoked by SC???
Not the best argument for the quality of a SC degree.
BearBoarBlarney
In Ferrell's defense, he graduated from University High School, in Irvine, CA, before graduating from the University of Serial Cheaters, so the bona fides of his pr!ckishness run deep.
Another Bear
My objections to Ferrell is he's not funny. Yes, I undersdtand he plays his characters with a purposed lack of self-awareness and denseness but that's why he's not funny.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
HoopDreams
cal83dls79 said:

HoopDreams said:

i heard that many college dorms now offer maid service, and have talked to parents that think that's a great idea

hey, I'm old but this has been a thing for a while no?
Outside companies have been available for years, but I read an article a few years ago that talked about all the amenities that some dorms provided and it looked like country club living to me. So I brought it up in some conversations and was surprised to hear the positive reactions.

I tried to quickly find the article again, but couldn't. I did find this one.

http://fortune.com/2015/09/07/college-dorm-rooms-luxury/

cal83dls79
Pretty sure Cal is safe in this regard. Really tuff to get into Cal back doors if they exist. We have front doors
B.A. Bearacus
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

"I am, a back door man
I am, a back door man..."

cal83dls79
Dude, you are kiling me. I was almost a virgin at Cal until I had extra tix to the 82 Big Game at the Farm. Dated the Kappa and married the roommate
cal83dls79
I think I meant I played for coach Janna when he coached in Houston for Strake Jesuit Prep. He played at UT. He moved to California and ended up being head coach for the Bells. I moved back to DlS as a senior. The premise there is I know a little about playing HS football. Maybe not considering the experts in this board who never put a jock strap on.
bear2034
cal83dls79 said:

Dude, you are kiling me. I was almost a virgin at Cal until I had extra tix to the 82 Big Game at the Farm. Dated the Kappa and married the roommate
82 BG was at Strawberry Canyon, maybe virgin status is still up in the air, not like there's anything wrong with it.
cal83dls79
oskirules said:

cal83dls79 said:

82 BG was at Strawberry Canyon, maybe virgin status is still up in the air, not like there's anything wrong with it.

I knew I should have looked that sh** up. In any event, it was. Rainy **** show down there and I'm still married to the kappa roommate afrer 30 years and don't do the damn math. The kappa was smarter and a brunette but the blonde 1680 SAT with 32 c cups poli sci major was ok.
oski003
bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

This still keeps the door open for all of the non-factually based rebuttals.
johngalenhoward
bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

Glad your daughter had a nice time at USC. Someone close to me worked there for several years up until recently. Dealt with students every day and said the wealth and privilege was bordeline obscene. Obviously some nice people and a few bright ones sprinkled in, but lots of dim bulbs, and many of the negative USC stereotypes were totally confirmed.

Note I didn't even mention any of the numerous scandals, their stupid band, or their shameless poaching of entire departments at UC schools.

My conclusion: F those A-holes and Go Bears.
bear2034
Proposal for the northside, upper Hearst.

bear2034
cal83dls79 said:

oskirules said:

cal83dls79 said:

I knew I should have looked that sh** up. In any event, it was. Rainy **** show down there and I'm still married to the kappa roommate afrer 30 years and don't do the damn math. The kappa was smarter and a brunette but the blonde 1680 SAT with 32 c cups poli sci major was ok.
Nice, good times. You can also share your favorite Berkeley moments here:

https://biggive.berkeley.edu/
Another Bear
Seriously, that's going up on Hearst, across the street (or close) from the old Tolman? Or is that next to Etcheverry? Wow in either case.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
cal83dls79
Another trick played by a guy never laid by hot cal girl. And I fell for it!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.