OT: USC University Village

20,146 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by okaydo
bear2034
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another Bear said:

Seriously, that's going up on Hearst, across the street (or close) from the old Tolman? Or is that next to Etcheverry? Wow in either case.
Yup, corner of Hearst and Gayley where the parking garage currently sits.

https://capitalstrategies.berkeley.edu/goldman-school-upper-hearst-project

cal83dls79
Another Bear said:

Seriously, that's going up on Hearst, across the street (or close) from the old Tolman? Or is that next to Etcheverry? Wow in either case.
do they still teach sarcasm at Cal? Figure out where that department exists and invest in that!!
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Another Bear
oskirules said:

Another Bear said:

Wow, okay then. I recognized the tudor building next door.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
HoopDreams
cal83dls79 said:

oskirules said:

cal83dls79 said:

Dude, you are kiling me. I was almost a virgin at Cal until I had extra tix to the 82 Big Game at the Farm. Dated the Kappa and married the roommate
82 BG was at Strawberry Canyon, maybe virgin status is still up in the air, not like there's anything wrong with it.

I knew I should have looked that sh** up. In any event, it was. Rainy **** show down there and I'm still married to the kappa roommate afrer 30 years and don't do the damn math. The kappa was smarter and a brunette but the blonde 1680 SAT with 32 c cups poli sci major was ok.
Hope the kappa doesn't read this board
cal83dls79
Another Bear said:

oskirules said:

Another Bear said:

Wow, okay then. I recognized the tudor building next door.
yeah, the Sarcasm Complex
cal83dls79
HoopDreams said:

cal83dls79 said:

oskirules said:

cal83dls79 said:

Dude, you are kiling me. I was almost a virgin at Cal until I had extra tix to the 82 Big Game at the Farm. Dated the Kappa and married the roommate
82 BG was at Strawberry Canyon, maybe virgin status is still up in the air, not like there's anything wrong with it.

I knew I should have looked that sh** up. In any event, it was. Rainy **** show down there and I'm still married to the kappa roommate afrer 30 years and don't do the damn math. The kappa was smarter and a brunette but the blonde 1680 SAT with 32 c cups poli sci major was ok.
Hope the kappa doesn't read this board
no, she was way smarter and worked at Hembrecht and Quist so blow me
cal83dls79
I know it's disheartening to guys on this board that you can have actually met really hot cal girls, broken up and married their roommates ..but it happens
cal83dls79
cal83dls79
cal83dls79
No, my wife was a replica of Ursula Andress.
And I married her! I say that for the guys out there .
Just be yourself. Most of the guys on board are fun and not dicks. Just be yourself.
cal83dls79
Be vulnerable
cal83dls79
Good god. I just read thru this thread and all my attempts to elevate women's state in history and current society has fallen on deaf ears
wifeisafurd
B.A. Bearacus said:

While I stared this I think this is insensitive to women named Stormy. My wife OTOH still is in stitches.
cal83dls79
Ok. I'm back on track. Merci
wifeisafurd
socaltownie said:

wifeisafurd said:

OaktownBear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

bearister said:

socaliganbear said:

It's like a Vegas hotelier opened up a college.

"Welcome to beautiful Venice!"

Actually, was Rick Caruso involves in this? Because it has all the fauxness of a Caruso project.

It is my understanding that the surrounding community has
benefitted greatly from the employment opportunities.
Of course. But that's neither here nor there.

Well, that is certainly Cal's philosophy with regard to its surrounding community.
And what's Cal's philosophy on taking bribes to let in unqualified dunderheads into its school.

Seriously, you choose today to continue to your love affair with USC AND take shots at Cal? I see that USC humility has rubbed off on you.
SC financed this the old fashioned way, through donations for naming rights. Enjoy you next visit to Haas, Hearst, Bowles, etc. Glass houses anyone?

One interesting sidelight to Caruso is the progressive (politically) developer is in trouble with a more conservative, old line group of trustees, lead by fellow billionaire developer Ed Roski, who want him removed.

Marshall's Advisory Board Urges Ouster Of USC Board Chair Caruso http://disq.us/t/3arm06x

UPDATE: USC Board Flap: Roski Chastised Caruso Over Meeting Conduct | Los Angeles Business Journal http://www.labusinessjournal.com//news/2019/jan/16/usc-board-flap-roski-chastised-caruso-over-meeting/
damm....I missed this soap opera. What is the beef with the Dean of the Business school?
In your defense, it is rather hard to keep track of all their scandals.

He was fired by the interim President after a report from a sexual harassment oversight committee said he wasn't doing enough to stop complaints against B-school faculty members. (tThe Dean himself was never accused of impropriety). A split Board of Trustees led by Caruso affirmed the Interim Presidents decision. The faculty thought the action was too strong and arbitrary and all of them demanded Caruso and the Interim President be removed. The B-school which is about 50% of the undergrad student body, and a fair number fo grad students, is somewhat in open rebellion (SC people probably can provide a better understanding of events). Roski and other old line board members are considered to be behind the faculty action and there is a major power tussle going on now with the Board of Trustees - hence no new President. The optics of Aunt Becky's daughter's being on Caruso's boat can't help.
cal83dls79
That's not "optics". It's a well worn term. No?
wifeisafurd
I hate to return to the subject of University Village, but there is nothing wrong with what SC did (you get an up star from me if you don't like the style of the buildings) and other schools are trying to emulate this. You might want to think about that when you watch the construction planned by Cal around Berkeley and in Richmond.
Sebastabear
cal83dls79 said:

oskirules said:

cal83dls79 said:

Wait the 82 Big Game is the one you forgot about? Doesn't that one ring any bells?
cal83dls79
Sebastabear said:

cal83dls79 said:

oskirules said:

cal83dls79 said:

Wait the 82 Big Game is the one you forgot about? Doesn't that one ring any bells?
#26 in '82 comes to mind, so it must have been '81 in a rain fest on the farm. I know we snuck in a lot of champagne
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

I hate to return to the subject of University Village, but there is nothing wrong with what SC did (you get an up star from me if you don't like the style of the buildings) and other schools are trying to emulate this. You might want to think about that when you watch the construction planned by Cal around Berkeley and in Richmond.

Looks like a great project, though to put it politely, it is not my taste in architecture.
MSaviolives
Another Bear said:

Looks like it is built over the upper Hearst garage at the corner of Hearst and Gayley/La Loma--across from Founder's Rock. Interesting concept. Doesn't look too bad to me.
OdontoBear66
hanky1 said:

bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

...This is a Cal board. I really don't care what you think about USC. Cal people on a Cal board will take shots at Cal rivals. If you don't like hearing shots taken at USC you should stay away from boards of school that hate them. ...How much time do you spend on their boards defending Cal? ... You want to take shots at Cal in a Cal board, you deserve to get thrashed....

I, bearister, hereby promise, that I will never again post on BI any factually based rebuttal to comments bashing a school that a Cal student or Cal grad is supposed to hate. I will also attempt to avoid upsetting my fellow born and bred Oaklander (I assume) in the future.

Would it be better if everyone on BI promised never to make fun of USC again so you won't get defensive and feel the need to chime in? Would that make you feel better?
Does BI have a "safe space" for bearister? Just funnin'
cal83dls79
Yeah. I wasn't as clear as I could have been. It was mostly jibberish. I let myself down there
joe amos yaks
MSaviolives said:

Another Bear said:

Looks like it is built over the upper Hearst garage at the corner of Hearst and Gayley/La Loma--across from Founder's Rock. Interesting concept. Doesn't look too bad to me.

Special location. Bad building. Re-do.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
NYCGOBEARS
OdontoBear66 said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

...This is a Cal board. I really don't care what you think about USC. Cal people on a Cal board will take shots at Cal rivals. If you don't like hearing shots taken at USC you should stay away from boards of school that hate them. ...How much time do you spend on their boards defending Cal? ... You want to take shots at Cal in a Cal board, you deserve to get thrashed....

I, bearister, hereby promise, that I will never again post on BI any factually based rebuttal to comments bashing a school that a Cal student or Cal grad is supposed to hate. I will also attempt to avoid upsetting my fellow born and bred Oaklander (I assume) in the future.

Would it be better if everyone on BI promised never to make fun of USC again so you won't get defensive and feel the need to chime in? Would that make you feel better?

Yeah, here's his safe space.

https://wearesc.com/
OdontoBear66
NYCGOBEARS said:

OdontoBear66 said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

Sorry I asked. Haha.
cal83dls79
Thanks for the link! The marketing was so compelling that I will be flying my wife into the Spring Game tomorrow. It mentioned free beer right? But that said, I thought lacrosse or the chess team were playing as well that day too? Gots to get my club lacrosse on!
HoopDreams
I thought I'd take a peek at the SC board, and top post asking if they should fire their coach...

What do you do when your coach is a great recruiter, but can't coach?

Serious question, what do we do? Coach Enfield has brought more talent to USC basketball program than any recent coach. Yet the talent does not develop. Watching SC play basketball is painful. Rakocevic can be great or horrible, but when he's horrible Enfield keeps playing him. Nick never blocks anyone out and mostly gets rebounds when no one battles him. Thornton is a disaster and everyone can see that Weaver was the better player this season.

I can cite other examples that highlight general deficiencies in Enfield's coaching, but what is the point? I don't think anyone thinks Enfield is a good X and O guy. That being said, I honestly don't know what the resolution is. We have such a great recruiting class coming in, maybe the talent can overcome the lack of coaching. It would be horrible to fire Enfield and lose this epic class.
cal83dls79
Epic failurism . Talk about tone deaf.
bearister
NYCGOBEARS said:

OdontoBear66 said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

I made inquiry and SC directed me to a special safe space for reprobate Cal traitors:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
OdontoBear66
bearister said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

OdontoBear66 said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

I made inquiry and SC directed me to a special safe space for reprobate Cal traitors:

Soft and safe....You can take anything dished out here.
okaydo
I'll soon be starting the "Bear Insider Red Zone" thread for those of us like Bearister and me who have a special appreciation for the color red, even though it is forbidden.

cal83dls79
OdontoBear66 said:

bearister said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

OdontoBear66 said:

hanky1 said:

bearister said:

OaktownBear said:

Soft and safe....You can take anything dished out here.
nice and soft landing
wifeisafurd
cal83dls79 said:

That's not "optics". It's a well worn term. No?
You obviously have never seen Rick in action. The Berkeley crowd would love him. He repeatedly uses words/phrases like optics, empowerment, proof of concept, transparency, etc. when discussing a real estate project. Super good in front of groups like local city councils who just eat this up. If you have never met Roski, he is old school and likely want to throw-up when he hears any of this. If only to be a fly on the wall during Trustee meetings....
6164bear
HoopDreams said:

i heard that many college dorms now offer maid service, and have talked to parents that think that's a great idea

We had maid service at Bowles many years ago. A sheet change once a week, with the top sheet going to the bottom and a clean one on the top; and so on week after week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.