This year is a critical one for recruiting

2,822 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calumnus
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In preparation for the spring game, I was looking through the roster and was shocked at what I discovered.
It seems that 2020 will be a rebuilding year, especially on defense.
As it stands now here is how it looks

CB
Hicks (assuming he returns for a 4th year)
Anusiem (should be serviceable but unexperienced)
Bynum (seriously doubt he is here considering that he almost left this year and will be graduating most likely next year)
Hopkins (a walk on JC transfer)
Smith (mostly has played on STs so far but should be serviceable like Anusiem)
Williams (a 2019 recruit who has not set foot on campus yet)

SAFETY
Humphries (transfer from Penn St. and a probable starter in 2020)
Scott (mostly STs so far but probably serviceable)
McIntosh (walk on)
Woodson (A 2019 recruit who has not arrived yet)

LINEBACKER
We are flush at all linebacker spots for the future. There are too many to mention.

DEFENSIVE END
Cherry (1 game experience vs. Idaho St.)
Tevis (RSF with no game experience but could be serviceable)
Croteau (2019 recruit in for spring)
Odeogu (Situational as a OLB/DE and will be a R-Sr. so could be graduated)
Paul (same as above)
Note: Nick Altfin, listed as OLB, has the size to mature into a defensive end in a couple of years.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE/NOSE GUARD
Maldonado (has played one conference game but has promise and should be serviceable)
Fuimaono (had decent experience last season and should be in the rotation this season. Probably a starter in 2020)
Nisich (walk on has 1 game experience against Idaho St.)
Coleman (2019 recruit not yet here)
Johnson (same as above)

SUMMERY OF DEFENSE:
Other than our linebackers, our defense is going to be very young and inexperienced in 2020. We are going to have to recruit either transfers or 4-5 star high schoolers to field a 2 deep anything like what we have been used to under Wilcox. This is especially true for our secondary.

RUNNING BACKS
I feel good about our RBs

QUARTERBACK
Modster (probably good enough to be in 2 deep)
Garbers (sharing competition for starting role with Modster)
Newman (provides some depth)
Brasch (2019 recruit not yet on campus)

TIGHT END
Reinwald (only player with pac-12 experience)
Castles (word is that he could be a starter very soon)
Mojarro (2019 recruit not yet here)
Moore (played against Idaho St.)
Tonges (mostly STs)

OFFENSIVE LINE
I feel pretty good about the depth of our OL moving forward and our one recruit so far for 2020 is an OT.

WIDE RECEIVER
Remigio (should be a starter in 2020)
Hawkins (should be a 3rd WR starter)
Young (low star recruit making noise in camp. Should be in 2 deep)
Walker III (has game experience and provides some depth)
Skinner (walk on making noise indicating he may get meaningful playing time)
2 other walk ons
Polk (2019 recruit in for spring)
Clark (a JC transfer with high 3 star ratings coming out of high school and very productive in college)
Crawford (consensus 4 star out of high school transfers from Michigan via a Socal JC--will likely be the star of the unit)

SUMMERY OF OFFENSE
Other than the offensive line (including TE) and RB, our roster has relied on transfers and walk-ons, making the passing game going forward a continuing concern. At least we are recruiting OTs to protect the QB, whoever it is. If our recruiting at WR doesn't kick in this year, we will be again relying on transfers or true frosh to bale us out in 2021. If we are not a threat throwing the ball, our prowess running the ball will be neutralized by opposing defenses, making our one offense strength not a strength after all.

OVERALL SUMMERY
So far we have one commit for 2020 and that is at a position of relative strength (OT) and one de-commit at a position of need (QB)
It is very early, but it is not too early to know what we need, which is...
strong recruiting at DB,WR and QB, something we really have not seen much under Wilcox. Remember that most of our great secondary was recruited by Dykes. Even with a plus season in 2019, if recruiting at these positions remain anemic, I think the heat rises under the coaches and some changes should be due. Just as Dykes could not be successful even with a world class passing game, Wilcox cannot be successful with only a world class linebacking unit.

71Bear
heartofthebear said:

In preparation for the spring game, I was looking through the roster and was shocked at what I discovered.

CB
Bynum (seriously doubt he is here considering that he almost left this year and will be graduating most likely next year)

SAFETY
McIntosh (walk on)

LINEBACKER
We are flush at all linebacker spots for the future. There are too many to mention.

DEFENSIVE END
Paul (same as above)
Note: Nick Altfin, listed as OLB, has the size to mature into a defensive end in a couple of years.

Maldonado (has played one conference game but has promise and should be serviceable)
Fuimaono (had decent experience last season and should be in the rotation this season. Probably a starter in 2020)
Johnson (same as above)

SUMMERY OF DEFENSE:
Other than our linebackers, our defense is going to be very young and inexperienced in 2020. We are going to have to recruit either transfers or 4-5 star high schoolers to field a 2 deep anything like what we have been used to under Wilcox. This is especially true for our secondary.

RUNNING BACKS

QUARTERBACK

TIGHT END
Tonges (mostly STs)

OFFENSIVE LINE
I feel pretty good about the depth of our OL moving forward and our one recruit so far for 2020 is an OT.

WIDE RECEIVER
2 other walk ons
Clark (a JC transfer with high 3 star ratings coming out of high school and very productive in college)
Crawford (consensus 4 star out of high school transfers from Michigan via a Socal JC--will likely be the star of the unit)

SUMMERY OF OFFENSE
Other than the offensive line (including TE) and RB, our roster has relied on transfers and walk-ons, making the passing game going forward a continuing concern. At least we are recruiting OTs to protect the QB, whoever it is. If our recruiting at WR doesn't kick in this year, we will be again relying on transfers or true frosh to bale us out in 2021. If we are not a threat throwing the ball, our prowess running the ball will be neutralized by opposing defenses, making our one offense strength not a strength after all.

OVERALL SUMMERY
So far we have one commit for 2020 and that is at a position of relative strength (OT) and one de-commit at a position of need (QB)
strong recruiting at DB,WR and QB, something we really have not seen much under Wilcox. Remember that most of our great secondary was recruited by Dykes. Even with a plus season in 2019, if recruiting at these positions remain anemic, I think the heat rises under the coaches and some changes should be due. Just as Dykes could not be successful even with a world class passing game, Wilcox cannot be successful with only a world class linebacking unit.

From an earlier post...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/03/07/recruiting-column-the-class-of-2020-is-essential-to-the-future-of-pac-12-football/

There are guys out there. Whether Cal can sign them is another story.....
Big C
Also, at linebacker, it is not out of the question that Deng and Goode could leave early. What with Weaver leaving, too, we would be left with a number of fairly talented guys with little experience.

As is usually the case in college football, we need to have a good 2019 season to build on last year and set the table for the future, since we might take a step back in 2020.
Bear19
I posit that every year is critical for Cal football recruiting. Thank you.
calumnus
Bear19 said:

I posit that every year is critical for Cal football recruiting. Thank you.

Yes, but after a lot of defections and then a couple of lackluster classes, with a lot of the talent at one position, it becomes MORE critical.

I do think that it makes sense to continue to rely on JC and other transfers to fill gaps (however large) until we are winning and have enough depth and enough recruiting clout to start stockpiling/developing more freshmen talent (this was essentially Tedford and Braun's steategy upon arrival at Cal). I think the staff's approach has been correct, even if the results have not been great.
GMP
heartofthebear said:

CB

SAFETY
McIntosh (walk on)

LINEBACKER

DEFENSIVE END
Paul (same as above)

Johnson (same as above)

SUMMERY OF DEFENSE:

RUNNING BACKS

QUARTERBACK

TIGHT END
Tonges (mostly STs)

OFFENSIVE LINE

WIDE RECEIVER
2 other walk ons

SUMMERY OF OFFENSE

OVERALL SUMMERY

First, I think you're looking way too far into the future to be able to draw any real conclusions about 2020. You don't know how, in particular, the classes of 2018 and 2019 will look in 2020.

Second, with the exception of very few programs across the country, if you're relying on a single recruiting class to make or break the first year in that class' program, it's already way too late.
socaliganbear
I would not expect a significant recruiting jump this year. I just don't think we have the staff for it.
Blueblood
socaliganbear said:

I would not expect a significant recruiting jump this year. I just don't think we have the staff for it.

"...and...here they come!"
Big C
socaliganbear said:

Hopefully, incremental jumps over the next few years.
calumnus
Big C said:

socaliganbear said:

Hopefully, incremental jumps over the next few years.

Baldwin needs to prove the naysayers wrong this year. We need to win and have an exciting offense to attract great players. The excuse that "he just doesn't have the horses" does not pass muster in your third year when recruiting is your job too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.