Spring Game

7,201 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calumnus
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything?

It wasn't THAT bad.
iksO facto
You can't be a winner with a negative attitude,and something positive is being built here. Try to get the feeling.
NVBear78
Spring game was great!
Blueblood
NVBear78 said:

Spring game was great!
Now if we can only get the same feeling during the regular season games! You know, against real oppoents.
Golden One
NVBear78 said:

Spring game was great!
Agree, but it's a misnomer to call it a game. It's really a series of 15 to 20 minute scrimmages between drills by each unit. Still, it afforded an opportunity to see the offense go against the defense and gauge progress among the QB's, RB's, WR's, etc. Modster is clearly more mobile than jGarbers, is more accurate, and has more zip on the ball. It wouldn't surprise me if he is the starter by the beginning of the season.
Yogi58
Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

Spring game was great!
Agree, but it's a misnomer to call it a game. It's really a series of 15 to 20 minute scrimmages between drills by each unit. Still, it afforded an opportunity to see the offense go against the defense and gauge progress among the QB's, RB's, WR's, etc. Modster is clearly more mobile than jGarbers, is more accurate, and has more zip on the ball. It wouldn't surprise me if he is the starter by the beginning of the season.
And now for some reality:

Passing (Comp-Att-INT-Yds-TD)
Garbers: 7-10-0-60-0
Modster: 6-7-0-27-1
Rowell:7-10-1-68-0
Newman: 3-5-1-22-0
Blueblood
Yogi Bear said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

Spring game was great!

Hmmm....thanks Yogi for that reality slap in the face.

Garbers threw as well as a blue shirt freshman. The one interception can be expected because he is essentially a freshman. Unless Modster had huge running stats, he sure played it safe with short range passes.

CALiforniALUM
I may not have seen the entire spring "game" but I thought Modster's TD was a rushing TD and not a passing TD. Did I miss that?
OdontoBear66
The QBs, best I could see, played it very close to the vest. No airing out. Safety all the way. Very disappointing in this important aspect.
Yogi58
CALiforniALUM said:

I may not have seen the entire spring "game" but I thought Modster's TD was a rushing TD and not a passing TD. Did I miss that?
The site I'm getting the info from says Garbers had a rushing TD on 4th and 3 and that Modster's TD was a TD pass to Dancy, which I actually saw the highlight of. Great move by Dancy.
Golden One
OdontoBear66 said:

The QBs, best I could see, played it very close to the vest. No airing out. Safety all the way. Very disappointing in this important aspect.
True. For whatever reason, most of the plays were running plays.
Golden One
Yogi Bear said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

Spring game was great!

Not sure what your point is, but given Modster's newness to the offense he clearly was at least Garbers' equal today. And Modster was clearly more mobile, more accurate, and had more zip on the ball. Assuming Modster will continue to progress as he becomes more familiar with our system, I think he could end up being the starter.
Yogi58
Golden One said:

Yogi Bear said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

Spring game was great!

Not sure what your point is, but given Modster's newness to the offense he clearly was at least Garbers' equal today. And Modster was clearly more mobile, more accurate, and had more zip on the ball. Assuming Modster will continue to progress as he becomes more familiar with our system, I think he could end up being the starter.
27 yards on 7 attempts is not good. Maybe you think 6 really short completions is good, but it's not.

And he was so mobile that he had 2 rushes for -7 yards.

This is why I never trust practice reports. People see what they want to see, even confronted by facts.
okaydo
My main disappointment it's the spring game was that Cal is still using #EarnIt. Was hoping that it would be retired.
NYCGOBEARS
okaydo said:

My main disappointment it's the spring game was that Cal is still using #EarnIt. Was hoping that it would be retired.

You miss "Toughest Team Wins"?
wifeisafurd
attended the scrimmage. There were also drills in which the offense and defense lined-up full contact, such as a fourth down drill and some other form of drill where Wilcox directed where the line of scrimmage occurred. In the latter drill, there were some passes not in the stats, and the only two pass calls that went down field, one intercepted, the other an overthrow, both by Garbers.

Some big provisos:

1) Some veteran players didn't play in the contact drills or scrimmage per Wilcox
2) The scrimmage was designed to help the coaches evaluate players, not have a game, again per Wilcox
3) The play calling was somewhat conservative, but then again, (1) the WRs that purportedly can spread the field have not arrived (or in Duncan's case, did not play), (2) the scrimmage was televised and the coaching staff didn't want to give anything away, and (3) the offense probably will be somewhat conservative given that Cal will be relying on a strong defense.

It was interesting to see how a practice occurs (very efficient), different drills and how the coaches interact. I didn't learn much about the 2019 team. Spring practice should be different in that regard.
Golden One
Yogi Bear said:

Golden One said:

Yogi Bear said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

Spring game was great!

27 yards on 7 attempts is not good. Maybe you think 6 really short completions is good, but it's not.

This is why I never trust practice reports. People see what they want to see, even confronted by facts.
Well,he didn't call the plays, so we can't blame him for the short passes. Plus, remember he was playing with the second unit. As far as mobility, to me that means avoiding the pass rush, not yards gained rushing.
71Bear
Yogi Bear said:

Golden One said:

Yogi Bear said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

Spring game was great!

Practice is a zero sum game. If the D dominates, you worry about the O. If the O dominates, you worry about the D. In other words, when one side of the ball controls the action, you (assuming you are a Cal fan) focus on the side that did poorly and agonize about their prospects.

In fact, the best practices are when both sides do well for periods of time. This was generally the case in the Tedford era.

Lastly, I could not agree more regarding your last sentence. In general, Cal fans are extraordinarily myopic.......
bear2034
Run game, oline push, dominate line of scrimmage. The run game should be the main thing, everything else is gravy.
GivemTheAxe
Yogi Bear said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

Spring game was great!

Seems to me like Golden One is correct.
Blueblood
GivemTheAxe said:

Yogi Bear said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

Spring game was great!

Seems to me like Golden One is correct.
Seems to me like Yogi's implication is more correct.
Sebastabear
Spoke with Baldwin a bit today. He observed that the focus on the scrimmage was really on the run since that's what they wanted to test with contact. Can xyz player break a tackle and get good yards after contact? How well do they see the hole?, etc. He said contract drills are less valuable for testing the downfield passing game so that's why we didn't see much of it. Anyway, point is what we saw was by design and not indicative of what we intend to roll out the in the Fall. For what it's worth.
OdontoBear66
Sebastabear said:

Spoke with Baldwin a bit today. He observed that the focus on the scrimmage was really on the run since that's what they wanted to test with contact. Can xyz player break a tackle and get good yards after contact? How well do they see the hole?, etc. He said contract drills are less valuable for testing the downfield passing game so that's why we didn't see much of it. Anyway, point is what we saw was by design and not indicative of what we intend to roll out the in the Fall. For what it's worth.
Thanks sebastabear.....Was wondering why our weakness at QB last year of poor downfield passing was not even explored in the scrimmage. This explains.
HungryCalBear
Any word on Chris Brown???
Sebastabear
HungryCalBear said:

Good news there. Looks like it was his ankle and not his knee. Should be fully back up and running in four weeks or less.
HungryCalBear
Sebastabear said:

HungryCalBear said:

Good news there. Looks like it was his ankle and not his knee. Should be fully back up and running in four weeks or less.

Great news. Thank you!
BearlyClad
Golden One said:

Yogi Bear said:

Golden One said:

Yogi Bear said:

Golden One said:

NVBear78 said:

.....Modster is clearly more mobile than jGarbers, is more accurate, and has more zip on the ball. It wouldn't surprise me if he is the starter by the beginning of the season.

Well,he didn't call the plays, so we can't blame him for the short passes. Plus, remember he was playing with the second unit. As far as mobility, to me that means avoiding the pass rush, not yards gained rushing.
Agree with this assessment. Modster showed not only an agile ability to avoid the rush, but also saw the field well, and was perfect on the short pass. I heard he has a good long ball we didn't see, as little of that was called. He looked really good. That stood out to me. Next, the RB's all look really good. I hope they can stay healthy. Collins was fast to the hole, Darcy can spin out of anything. Really good set of four there. The WR's can block well, but not much seen in any passing game there other than the ability to catch the short speedy zip well. Dang looked good at LB but still lots to figure out there it seems. I thought the O-line group overall looks pretty good, though a number of snaps were poor.
Big C
I'm starting to feel that "spring time optimism" which usually lasts me until some time in September or October (depending):
QB looks improved and deeper
RB looks deeper and with wider skill set
WR still a concern, but Duncan will be solid, Hawkins might be improved, Remigio will be, for sure, Young might be a factor and we'll get 2-3 more guys that will contend in the summer.
OL as good, maybe better

Defense will be top-shelf

THIS IS THE YEAR!!! (not the first time I've proclaimed that in March or April)
calumnus
Big C said:

I'm starting to feel that "spring time optimism" which usually lasts me until some time in September or October (depending):
QB looks improved and deeper
RB looks deeper and with wider skill set
WR still a concern, but Duncan will be solid, Hawkins might be improved, Remigio will be, for sure, Young might be a factor and we'll get 2-3 more guys that will contend in the summer.
OL as good, maybe better

Defense will be top-shelf

THIS IS THE YEAR!!! (not the first time I've proclaimed that in March or April)

Given the above I hope we run a Power Spread:
https://www.completeheadcoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Power-Spread-Offense-Sample-Chapters1.pdf
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.