OT and I don't care! My kid got in!!!!!

12,214 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TandemBear
TandemBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OMFG! I can't believe it, but my daughter just received an admission letter today from UC Berkeley!!!!!!!

I'm beside myself with joy! The whole extended family is blown away and just so excited for her. I'm still in disbelief. We're traveling in the desert southwest now and received notice today as we were busily arriving in our new hotel. There I was in a parking garage unloading our stuff when tears came to my eyes. Texting the family like a madman...

I'm dumbfounded. Awestruck. Mute. Giddy as can be! The extreme competition to get into Cal is so high, I wrote it off years ago. I realized that it takes super-human ability to gain admission to the best public university in the world. And although she was raised in Blue & Gold, our expectations had always been tempered. We've always taken the approach that we'll be perfectly happy patronizing one of our other fine UC schools. Her heart was set on UC Santa Barbara. And it took a while to receive notice of admission there. And boy were we relieved and happy UCSB admitted her. Seemed (and still does) like such a good fit. She was waitlisted for UCLA, and I must admit, it gave me some hope for Cal. But I had to tell myself to just hold those horses and chill! Don't get those hopes up! But I realized that Cal was a possibility, but probably wouldn't happen. I even suggested going the waitlist or spring enrollment option if she really had hopes high on UCLA or Cal.

But dammit, what do you know! Cal Cal Cal!!!!

GO BEARS!

Such a proud dad right now. Hard to express completely!!!

Now, all that said, she still has to make a decision. She's looked at so many schools and options, both near and far (mostly far), so she may have her heart set elsewhere. And I'll do my best to let her make her decision. (We happen to have a neighbor who was also accepted to Cal last year and she opted to go to community college instead. She was determined that it was the best route for her. I gently encouraged her, but ultimately respected her decision.) I'll have to just ease into the process and not be too overbearing or overwhelming.

But wow, just wow! For now, it's enjoy the moment. Enjoy it fully!

Ok, I'll stop gushing now. Thanks for reading.
Go!Bears
Congrats!
Yogi58
TandemBear said:

OMFG! I can't believe it, but my daughter just received an admission letter today from UC Berkeley!!!!!!!

I'm beside myself with joy! The whole extended family is blown away and just so excited for her. I'm still in disbelief. We're traveling in the desert southwest now and received notice today as we were busily arriving in our new hotel. There I was in a parking garage unloading our stuff when tears came to my eyes. Texting the family like a madman...

I'm dumbfounded. Awestruck. Mute. Giddy as can be! The extreme competition to get into Cal is so high, I wrote it off years ago. I realized that it takes super-human ability to gain admission to the best public university in the world. And although she was raised in Blue & Gold, our expectations had always been tempered. We've always taken the approach that we'll be perfectly happy patronizing one of our other fine UC schools. Her heart was set on UC Santa Barbara. And it took a while to receive notice of admission there. And boy were we relieved and happy UCSB admitted her. Seemed (and still does) like such a good fit. She was waitlisted for UCLA, and I must admit, it gave me some hope for Cal. But I had to tell myself to just hold those horses and chill! Don't get those hopes up! But I realized that Cal was a possibility, but probably wouldn't happen. I even suggested going the waitlist or spring enrollment option if she really had hopes high on UCLA or Cal.

GO BEARS!

Now, all that said, she still has to make a decision. She's looked at so many schools and options, both near and far (mostly far), so she may have her heart set elsewhere. And I'll do my best to let her make her decision. (We happen to have a neighbor who was also accepted to Cal last year and she opted to go to community college instead. She was determined that it was the best route for her. I gently encouraged her, but ultimately respected her decision.) I'll have to just ease into the process and not be too overbearing or overwhelming.

Congratulations.

My daughter is brilliant and I strongly doubt she'll be able to get into Cal in four years. I got almost all A's (was smart to get one of the B's in my senior spring semester) and I don't think I would have had a prayer of getting in now. Your daughter must really have a great college resume.
OdontoBear66
#3 Granddaughter just got in today as well. Congrats to you. Unfortunately for Papa she will not be going to Cal, but matriculating and playing soccer at Georgetown where her older sister is graduating this year. I have to admit the two schools are a push. Different, but both great. When you walk on to the G'town campus it gives you that feeling as an older that you wish you could go back to college and be there. What I like with the current controversy is she has been accepted to 11 of 12 schools and all of them are on academics except for G'town which we will never know as the soccer coach pulled her through. But you have to guess.

Point is, many of the jocks being pulled though are damn good students as well, so make no assumptions.
GBear4Life
what's her GPA and SAT
Goobear
Congrats to both you guys!
OdontoBear66
GBear4Life said:

what's her GPA and SAT
4.0 UW, 4.6 W, 33 ACT.....Public High School, Dana Hills High....Both parents UCD grads...White female...Both grandparents went UCB, UCSF....
TandemBear
Thanks. I appreciate it. Yogi, I was of the same mindset. There's NO way I would get in to Cal today. It's such a hyper-crazy situation for high school kids today. I feel bad for them and the pressures they're under. Not that we didn't put in the time and feel the pressure. But today's schedules are filled with so much, I can't say I envy them one bit.

Well I'm realizing that perhaps my daughter is a bit more brilliant than I realized. Not that she's a savant or anything. But she's smart and works hard. She also cares. So I couldn't be happier for her to get recognition and reward for so much hard work and persistence.

I'll add that we utilized the services of a college counselor who is a friend of the family. (And no, we are NOT the people of any means to be associated with the fraud scheme.) Boy are we lucky we lucked into that situation. Because I know there's no way I would have been able to help our daughter navigate the complexities of college admissions today. If you're thinking of going this route, I'd strongly suggest you at least take a look at it. With college tuitions being what they are, $5-10 grand for experienced counseling is probably worth it. We got the "family deal," but I'd have spent full price knowing what I know now.

Thanks for the replies.
GBear4Life
These low admission rate schools really do the screening for employers. Because they know what kind of combination of work ethic and IQ is needed just to get taken seriously at these schools, let alone get accepted. There's lesser risk with the prestigious grad than Evergreen St College (96% acceptance rate) with roughly the same resume.
Golden One
Congratulations!
Goobear
OdontoBear66 said:

GBear4Life said:

what's her GPA and SAT
4.0 UW, 4.6 W, 33 ACT.....Public High School, Dana Hills High....Both parents UCD grads...White female...Both grandparents went UCB, UCSF....
Odonto, Dana Hills produces quite a few smart kids
gobears74
Congrats! To your seniors, must be very proud!

Do they still send out admission letters via US mail and/or online email?

My kids ( one chose Cal, the other UCI) applied about 20 yrs ago, and I remember back then, we waited for the slow - snail US mail back then
TandemBear
It's an email to a link that they follow. In all the hubbub, I didn't even actually read the letter! Sheesh! I will frame that thing!

I asked to have the "email forwarded to me" but was met with the typical stare...

It's her account, so I can't follow the secure link. I'll get my hands on it at some point, but will just have to be patient!
79 Bear
That's awesome! Congratulations to your daughter and to you all. It's so great when a daughter or son can see the hard work pay off like this. Wishing her all the best.
socaliganbear
Congrats! If you need a young persuasive perspective and intern prospects, lmk. Don't believe that the cal network isn't great.
okaydo
Sorry, but it's University of California. You must boast to your friends that your daughter got into the "University of California."
moonpod
Congrats. I'm jealous. My daughter ended up at UCSD this fall which is awesome but I really wanted her to be a golden bear. I got try #2 in a couple years! CONGRATS
ducky23
Congrats. You just fulfilled the dream of every parent on this board
freshfunk
Congrats! That's fantastic news!
TandemBear
Many thanks again. You only made my stellar mood even better! Although anonymous, this board is a wonderful resource (and time waster!) with so much share. And I may take you up on your generous suggestion and offer, Socaliganbear!

I'll keep you all posted.
Another Bear
Nicely done...Go Bears!
calumnus
moonpod said:

Congrats. I'm jealous. My daughter ended up at UCSD this fall which is awesome but I really wanted her to be a golden bear. I got try #2 in a couple years! CONGRATS

Yes, my daughter was devastated when she didn't get into Cal, ended up at UCSD and developed a love for surfing.

Congrats to Tandem and his daughter! Go Bears!
Sebastabear
Super happy for you and your daughter Tandem. Congrats!
Blueblood
It sounds like now the tension is really going to be great. I mean, you will now have to await your child's final decision...good luck to you.

(As someone above mentioned earlier, when I applied, I had to wait for the US snail mail. Even though, I realized I had narrowed such notification into simple terms, that is, a thin letter meant rejection and a thick letter meant acceptance.)

I was crushed by my first letter, a rejection from Dartmouth. I foolishly at the time wanted to get away from home in the Bay Area....boy....I now realize how lucky that was.......
Yogi58
TandemBear said:

I'll add that we utilized the services of a college counselor who is a friend of the family. (And no, we are NOT the people of any means to be associated with the fraud scheme.) Boy are we lucky we lucked into that situation. Because I know there's no way I would have been able to help our daughter navigate the complexities of college admissions today. If you're thinking of going this route, I'd strongly suggest you at least take a look at it. With college tuitions being what they are, $5-10 grand for experienced counseling is probably worth it. We got the "family deal," but I'd have spent full price knowing what I know now.
When I was working at a private high school with annual tuition somewhere north of $42,000 a year (for high school, you gotta be kidding me), the school employed two college counselors that would handhold 100 or so seniors a year through the college process. That was where your $160K plus got you some value (plus whatever name value the school had - I have no idea).

I always felt sorry for the parents who spent for four years of that and then their kid ended up at a Cal state campus. Talk about no return on your investment.
Yogi58
moonpod said:

You know it's funny. I enjoyed my time at Cal, but I don't really feel like I needed either of my kids to go there. I'm conscious of all the things I loved about it, but I also can see some things that weren't that great. At the time, I got my whole education plus living expenses done for a little over $30K, so there was a huge financial incentive to go to a public school. These days, it's a lot closer between the public and private schools and for the amount of debt they're going to incur, there better be something more than just the sheepskin that you get for your trouble.
moonpod
Naw the financial incentive is still there. UC tuition is what 14?15? USC is 60? The Claremont schools are around there too. Granted most kids get at least some financial aid at USC (US grads anyways).

And as long as my kid is happy it doesn't "matter" that she goes to another school but deep down there would be a satisfaction if she had gone to Cal. But UCSD is fantastic for sure.

Again congrats to Tandem and daughter
bearsandgiants
Congratulations!!! And you didn't even have to pay a coach or photoshop any pole vaulting photos!

Go Bears
OdontoBear66
Goobear said:

OdontoBear66 said:

GBear4Life said:

what's her GPA and SAT
Odonto, Dana Hills produces quite a few smart kids
Yes Goo, Dana is a very good high school, but unfortunately it is very hard to crack the Ivy type barrier from a public school. Most Ivies are from the likes of Sage Hill Academy, St. Margarets, Detroit Country Day, Choate Academy in CT....

It just is what it is. I know we have had kids at Dana whose siblings went to St. Margarets paying $40K plus per year, and the parents said their youngers worked much harder at Dana than the older ever did at SM....However, there is a preparation there for elite schools and some sort of a tie.

I recall when my kids went to HS in Los Gatos, the LG kids were much better prepared for college, especially in a UC environment where it is every dog for him/herself, than were the kids from the likes of Bellarmine. Took the latter a couple of years to learn survival skills (not academic ones) as they were a bit more spoon fed.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GivemTheAxe
TandemBear said:

GO BEARS!

Congrats your daughter is to be congratulated but she should keep in mind:

1. lots and lots of applicants are academically qualified to get into and succeed at Cal. But unless you have received a Nobel Prize or discovered the cure for cancer, Getting into Cal is very much a product of (1) having a solid level of intelligence (2) hard work AND (3) the "luck of the draw".

2. Whether you succeed at Cal very much depends on your determination and a willingness to continue working hard. Grade inflation is not prevalent as it is at Stanford or many of the ivies.

3. When you are at Cal many people in your classes are as smart as you OR SMARTER

4. When you graduate from Cal many employers and grad schools recognize points #1, 2 and 3 and take this into account in the hiring or admission process. A friend of mine who was a tenured professor at Harvard told me that if there were 2 applicants for history grad school who had comparable grades and resumes, His department would choose the applicant from Cal.

5. Whether you enjoy your time at Cal depends a lot on you. Become active in groups or issues for which you have a passion. There is a universe of potential areas from Cal Band to helping the poor and under privileged. From Rally Comm to Cal UCDC or Cal in the Capitol. You have to make choices and learn to budget your time.

6. Cal is not for everyone (I am not talking about politics or religion). And you might succeed just as well at another university.
But many of us alums believe Cal is The Best Damn University in the Whole Wide World
TandemBear
Take off that red shirt!!!
bearister
TandemBear said:

Take off that red shirt!!!

Oops! Only B.A. Bearacus has the skills to make it blue.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Unit2Sucks
Congrats! A thread like this is never off topic. Well at least when it's your own family you are posting about.
KenBurnski
Congrats, Tandem! What sort of extra curricular does she pursue?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.