47th in Sears Directors Cup.

3,280 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ccajon2
Ccajon2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After a poor fall, with only 25 pts scored, Cal got 190 pts from the swimming program, and 34 from women's hoops. Still, for a power 5, should be in the top 20. Don't thing well get many pts from the spring sports this year. Furds as usual fielding their 40 plus sports leads Penn st. By 200 with about 950 pts. We finished as high as 8th when the Penn st. AD was at Cal. Interesting.
Big C
While I'm reluctant to make too big a deal out of the Director's Cup, I don't see why it can't be ONE OF THE metrics for success for Cal athletics. (one of many metrics,,, and not the most important)
Hail2Calif
Agreed.

BTW, was Rugby always a club sport? I thought it counted toward Director Cup points before we had to move some things around, ostensibly for Title IX compliance?
socaliganbear
This is horrendous.
ColoradoBear
Hail2Calif said:

Agreed.

BTW, was Rugby always a club sport? I thought it counted toward Director Cup points before we had to move some things around, ostensibly for Title IX compliance?

Rugby is not an NCAA sport. Don't remember it ever counting. Not many schools sponsor it.

Unfortunately for Cal Men's Crew is not an NCAA sport either.
Blueblood
Of note is the fact that MWC Air Force was #33 and right behind Cal was #48 MWC New Mexico.
sandiegobears
From research I did when this was discussed last year:

From NACDA

2018 - 20th
2017 - 14th
2016 - 11th
2015 - 12th
2014 - 20th
2013 - 17th
2012 - 11th
2011 - 3rd
2010 - 9th
2009 - 7th
2008 - 7th
2007 - 9th
2006 - 7th
2005 -15th
2004 - 9th

From Wikipedia
2003 - 9th

That's not a healthy trend.
95bears
I blame Buh.
Bobodeluxe
MathTeacherMike
95bears said:

I blame Buh.
Enough already.
Ccajon2
Cal has 32 rugby NCs and 25 NCs in Taekwondo that are not counted in the Sears cup. Cal has 157 team titles, of which 38 are NCAA. For comparison, furds have 114 NCAA titles, and 83 non NCAA titles.

KenBurnski
Just wait til they include E Sports. Our time will come.
Sebastabear
I just remember when people complained bitterly that all we seemed to care about was the Director's Cup. Well it seems like we found a way to solve that problem . . . just maybe not the one they hoped for.
Big C
Well, we would use relative success in the Director's Cup to make us feel better about the football and basketball teams' poor performances and, sure that's lame.

But the non-revenue sports definitely have their value, as educational experiences for the student athletes, so I'd hope we'd be achieving excellence there.
Sebastabear
Big C said:

Well, we would use relative success in the Director's Cup to make us feel better about the football and basketball teams' poor performances and, sure that's lame.

But the non-revenue sports definitely have their value, as educational experiences for the student athletes, so I'd hope we'd be achieving excellence there.
Yes, bringing our performance in the Olympic Sports down to the level of our performance in MBB is definitely not the goal. I'd like to see us bring everything up to the level of Rugby. That would be great.
HoopDreams
How is it scored?
Don't we have an advantage by having lots of sports?
Ccajon2
HoopDreams said:

How is it scored?
Don't we have an advantage by having lots of sports?

Furds field teams from 38 sports, I think that gives them an advantage. Cal has 30, but aren't some gonna have to go?
For comparison Bama and Clemson field about 16 sports apiece.
Is a FB NC worth about, say ten Cal swim or Rugby titles?

Big C
For me, ONE Rose Bowl would be worth all of the... well, I can't even attach a value of this sort to it. Plus, there is the "revenue" aspect of the revenue sports.

STILL, we have a lot of student athletes in the "Olympic" sports and I want to see them learning to achieve excellence. The Director's Cup is a halfway decent -- but certainly flawed -- metric for this.
Ccajon2
Also Clemson has only 6 NCs in all sports. 2 in Golf and Soccer, and 2 in a Sport that really matters.
Ccajon2
Should score pts in these spring sports, in order of probability: M&W Golf already in regional, plus:
L W Rowing rked #2, WWp #4, Baseball (23-12) Softball has a small chance at pts.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.