2003 Insight Bowl airing on ESPNU

1,955 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by cal83dls79
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JJ Arrington is a pretty good RB, and his 19 year old QB looks pretty good too.
ncbears
Memory is fun.
I remembered the winning field goal - but didn't remember Fredrickson's season long kicking issues, till they mentioned all the missed/blocked kicks right before the winning kick. Also, interesting to see how the time out to ice the kicker was taken much earlier then. Now, the coaches wait until the team lines up so that the kicker is thinking about whether the play is even going to happen.
So, now I'm wondering if he had the winning kick that season in more games than USC and VaTech.
But, boy, were those announcers bad. JJ Harrington?
hanky1
That was a fun game. V Tech had high nfl draft picks all over the secondary and we tore them up all day.
RJABear
That was a fun party. Started several hours before the game. Cal took over a bar that was the whole city block across the street from the stadium.

We did not act like we had been there before, because we had not been bowling in a long time.
71Bear
RJABear said:

That was a fun party. Started several hours before the game. Cal took over a bar that was the whole city block across the street from the stadium.

We did not act like we had been there before, because we had not been bowling in a long time.
Jackson's. Tedford arrival there after the game was crazy. He was given the A-List celebrity treatment. The one thing I learned from that game was the value of speed. I had ever seen such a fast group of players as what VT fielded that evening. The difference in the game was ST. Fortunately for Cal, the Hokies did not live up to their reputation of "Beamer Ball"...
Jackieridgle
the scene at the hotel before the game was amazing.
71Bear
Jackieridgle said:

the scene at the hotel before the game was amazing.
We stayed at the VT team hotel. Their fans appeared to be amused by those of us who were Cal fans. They didn't know what to make of a bunch who were at their first bowl game in a long time vis a vis themselves who make it an annual habit. It was at fun time, mainly because we knew we were on the brink of something very special. Tedford's early years were certainly the best in my lifetime.....
sycasey
Whole thing is here:

72CalBear
Epic game with incredible excitement and stats (over 1000 yds total offense). My wife and I had run into JT and his wife at small hotel bar in Palo Alto after the Bears beat Stanford. We chatted even though my wife scorned me for interrupting his dinner and getting him to autograph the game program (still framed on my wall). Anyway, as JT departed he said, "See you at the (Insight) bowl game." Sure enough, we stayed at the team hotel in Tempe and just as we were registering, JT and the team came in. He recognized us and gave a thumbs up. I then was able to "sneak" into the pre-game team meeting in a conference room and the game (and Tyler's second historic FG that season) is history. We sat with some VT louts and they were bashing the Bears with all the hate talk that we have become used to - so to shut them up and not get attacked, I plied them with several beers and they were "out" by the second half. I actually stole a magnetic Insight Bowl car banner off an official team vehicle and drove home with it on my car. Go Bears!
NVBear78
Great story!
cal83dls79
Ahh, the Duritz Days.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.