Cal Strong RELOCATING?!?!? -- Cal Strong need STRONG Advice!

4,737 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As most strong posters know, Cal Strong and Family Strong live in Egypt. Cal Strong do strong work here.

But this take toll on even strongest family. Cal Strong need to keep Baby Strong safe so he lead Cal to Rose Bowl victory in 19 years.

Cal Strong has gotten a few death threats from weak extremists here in Egypt. Weak Egyptian extremists soft as baby poop. Weak extremists need to take hard look in mirror. Weak extremists need to be more like Cal, less like them.

Cal Strong recently offered good short-term career opportunity in New England. But it only for one year. One year position mostly weak. Cal Strong would prefer more security and stability for strong family. But other than weak short-term duration, position otherwise strong and interesting. It allow Cal Strong to do some strong work in USA. And maybe Cal Strong can use the year to find stronger, more long-term gig. On the strong side, new position would cover most relocation expenses. On weak side, it pay less than Cal Strong make now. And cost of living and tax differences would mean that Cal Strong would need to tighten belt.

All posters welcome to respond. But Cal Strong especially interested in advice from STRONG posters. Should Cal Strong continue strong long-term work in Egypt despite threats to family, or should he take short-term position in New England and use time to figure out strong next move?

Also, please remember that Cal NOT WEAK! Cal STRONG!!!
okaydo
Oh, congrats, Cal Strong! I was recently thinking of you when Netflix recently made headlines with its plans to buy a theater in Egypt.

I hope you become a Strong Patriots fan at your new home!

calumnus
Cal Strong! said:

As most strong posters know, Cal Strong and Family Strong live in Egypt. Cal Strong do strong work here.

But this take toll on even strongest family. Cal Strong need to keep Baby Strong safe so he lead Cal to Rose Bowl victory in 19 years.

Cal Strong has gotten a few death threats from weak extremists here in Egypt. Weak Egyptian extremists soft as baby poop. Weak extremists need to take hard look in mirror. Weak extremists need to be more like Cal, less like them.

Cal Strong recently offered good short-term career opportunity in New England. But it only for one year. One year position mostly weak. Cal Strong would prefer more security and stability for strong family. But other than weak short-term duration, position otherwise strong and interesting. It allow Cal Strong to do some strong work in USA. And maybe Cal Strong can use the year to find stronger, more long-term gig. On the strong side, new position would cover most relocation expenses. On weak side, it pay less than Cal Strong make now. And cost of living and tax differences would mean that Cal Strong would need to tighten belt.

All posters welcome to respond. But Cal Strong especially interested in advice from STRONG posters. Should Cal Strong continue strong long-term work in Egypt despite threats to family, or should he take short-term position in New England and use time to figure out strong next move?

I could live with threats to me, but not to my family. Unless you are essential to bringing peace to the Middle East, I'd take the New England gig, stay in touch with friends in Egypt and return sometime when we are all living in harmony under the One God that all the Abrahamic religions profess to believe in.
Yogi58
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong strongest Cal man in Middle East. Supporting Cal strong. Doing strong work in Egypt strong.

Yogi think maybe option C best option for Strong Family. New England job not strong enough for strong Cal man. Strong Cal man get better offers than that to relocate Strong family to strong area to keep Baby Strong safe.

Yogi also think Patriots fans as soft as baby poop. Patriot fans should be more like Cal and less like them.
Blueblood
If constitutional amendment allows Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi to stay in power until...ho, ho, hoo.....2030 ....I would get the hell out if your politics don't jive with al-Sisi...especially before Trump might
eliminate or otherwise unduly delay your option that you apparently have for now.

GMP
Cal Strong! said:

I'm a father to two young boys. Given your situation, I'd take the threats very seriously, even if assured the threats were unlikely to be followed through with. You don't want to leave your kid without a dad, especially one that young. It reminds me a bit of what happened to Malcolm Kerr, but at least Steve got to know his father. You can stand on principle, and refuse to let the threats affect your behavior. But what if the worst happens? Your child will never know his/her father, and frankly would be unlikely to understand why you made the decision you did and left your kid without his/her father. You also risk putting your wife and child in danger themselves.

The short term instability of the one-year job is insignificant in light of the above. Tighten your belt - do some crunches and squats, CalStrong.
bearister
The Middle East is a tinderbox that will only get worse because of our current Administration. It is not even debatable. GET THE HELL OUT OF DODGE IMMEDIATELY (OR AT LEAST YOUR FAMILY) AND SECURE THAT JOB IN NEW ENGLAND!

Then, as you said, use that year to line something else up. This is real serious stuff and you need to pull the trigger on it now.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GivemTheAxe
GMP said:

Cal Strong! said:

I'm a father to two young boys. Given your situation, I'd take the threats very seriously, even if assured the threats were unlikely to be followed through with. You don't want to leave your kid without a dad, especially one that young. It reminds me a bit of what happened to Malcolm Kerr, but at least Steve got to know his father. You can stand on principle, and refuse to let the threats affect your behavior. But what if the worst happens? Your child will never know his/her father, and frankly would be unlikely to understand why you made the decision you did and left your kid without his/her father. You also risk putting your wife and child in danger themselves.

The short term instability of the one-year job is insignificant in light of the above. Tighten your belt - do some crunches and squats, CalStrong.

I totally agree with GMP on this.
1. Think of your family first and foremost. A job - no matter how good it is or how much it pays - is merely a vehicle for a better life for your family unit (that includes you). When that vehicle actually endangers your family unit then it's time to change your job.

2. Alternative C is the best. Take the job in New England and have your new employer pay the expenses of relocating back to the US. Then look for a more permanent position Your experience in Egypt should really give you a powerful (STRONG) resume.
calbear80
Cal Strong, not knowing more specifics, I cannot give you any useful advice. However, I would suggest that you consult with your wife and see what she wants.

Regardless of what you decide to do, I wish you and your family the very best.

Go Bears! Go Cal Strong!
NoCal65
Why are you getting threats in Egypt? What is the reason or basis of these threats?
LunchTime
Cal Strong! said:

I am not sure what you do, but if on balance it doesnt make an impact more important than your life, or kids future, why not be Strong and GTFO?

I am a relative "tough guy," but when a dude I side eyed on Bart (for playing music from his phone at high volume) took a knife out a little while later and put it away, I got off the train without hesitation. He didnt even overtly threaten me, just made me uncomfortable. I got to work and told my little tale, and found out that same guy stuck someone a little while later on Bart: https://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2019/news20190323

Go with your gut, IMHO.
KoreAmBear
GMP said:

Cal Strong! said:

Agree with GMP. Yes, you don't want to give in to those that make threats, but what is taking a stand if you have to endure a lifetime of regret, esp. for a job? You are STRONG enough to find some sustainable work in New England or other places where you and your family are not threatened.
Chabbear
My son loves Boston (works for an engineering firm) and it seems that there is a good job market there. It is expensive but still less than SF. I would go. Maybe the Strong Family will like it. There is a Cal FAN CLUB THERE

https://calnewengland.org/

GO BEARS!

89Bear
calbear80 said:

Cal Strong, not knowing more specifics, I cannot give you any useful advice. However, I would suggest that you consult with your wife and see what she wants.

Regardless of what you decide to do, I wish you and your family the very best.

Go Bears! Go Cal Strong!
I disagree. I think you go to B.I. first and consult the wife much later...
That's the STRONG play.
Cal Strong!
Thank you to all of the STRONG posters for their strong feedback and advice. Cal Strong appreciate it. Strong iron sharpens strong iron.

Things different for Cal Strong now that he have Wife Strong and Baby Strong. Cal Strong still doing strong work in region that desperately need it. Egypt need more strong people like Cal Strong who willing to stand up for strong truths and protect vulnerable people. But Cal Strong's strongest priority now protecting Wife Strong and Baby Strong.

Cal Strong sometimes need to take hard look in the mirror and question whether strong juice worth even stronger squeeze.

Cal Strong leaning towards taking position in USA.

Cal Strong appreciate the strong bears who offer strong advice. Cal Strong thank you from the bottom of his big strong Cal heart.

Cal NOT WEAK . . . Cal STRONG!!!
bearister
Obviously, CS, you are well versed in State Dept. Travel Advisories but I thought those here that are not might find this interesting:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Egypt.html
TomBear
I'm late on this one, but when you leave a place, you can always come back. When you leave this life, the next life will be eternal and there won't be any coming back.

In my opinion, even though I've been threatened and faced a gun pointed at me, I believe sometimes it takes a different kind of strength to remove oneself (and especially one's family) from a bad situation than fight a battle you might not win............at least for now. Leave the future possible victory open and bring strength back to a country that badly needs strength....the USA!

Regardless of how strong you are, be humble enough bring it to God first. And know that we're all behind you whichever way you choose to go.
BearBoarBlarney
Baby Strong needs Cal Strong to build a strong life. Wife Strong needs Cal Strong around for a long and happy STRONG marriage. I'm sure Egypt is an absolutely wonderful and intriguing place, but stability and lack of death threats make New England a very strong play.

I also have a sense that with Cal Strong's inherent strength, a one-year gig can often morph into a longer-term opportunity when his strength is on display in his line of work.

cal83dls79
Check out the Cal Alumni club of New England FB group. Job market in Boston is very good as is PORTLAND Me (depends on profession) Weather and taxes are not so "strong", especially if coming from Egypt .
Utah is a good spot too if you have family. Good luck

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/01/03/the-10-best-cities-to-find-a-job-in-2019.html
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Big C
Sounds like most people are advising you to "choose life", but maybe it's a little more nuanced than that...

1. Are you and your wife very happy with your situation Egypt right now, except for the death threats?

2. How credible are the threats? Is there someone there that can help you evaluate them?

EDIT: Sounds like part of the answer to #1 (above) is "no", according to wife's post. Thus, dilemma solved.
NoCal65
Very sad that Cal Strong is having to leave Egypt. Still unclear on exactly the nature of the threats being faced but until that is made clear, will presume it is based on religious faith. May be due to Cal Strong being a Coptic Christian, a group that has been terrorized in every possible way for centuries since Muslims took over the area from the Byzantine Empire. About 10% of the Egyptian population is Christian and while al-Sisi has done much better than any previous dictator since King Farouk (deposed in 1952), there is still plenty of terror they face at the hands of radical Muslims and the Muslim Brotherhood. Very sad. And on top of all the problems caused by the Muslim Brotherhood and radical Islamic Supremacists who agitate for their form of government and (un)civil society, the country has economically and culturally been run into the ground by their series of very corrupt dictators (al-Sisi included). In fact, in 1952, Egypt, South Korea and Singapore all had similar GDPs ... fast forward today and Egypt is nowhere near the GDP of those economic powerhouses and Egypt's GDP remains essentially what it was in 1952, adjusted for inflation. Moreover, Egypt was once a breadbasket for the Middle East but now they have to import food to feed their people. It should be every bit as prosperous as its neighbor Israel which has turned their desert into a green and thriving agricultural juggernaut. But agree Cal Strong should head to the opportunity offered by America. If NE then try to work and live in New Hampshire where at least they don't have a state income tax. The rest of NE is fouled up with Big Government and is overtaxed and overregulated. Remember, at one point in the not to distant past Connecticut use to have no stste income tax and now they have one of the highest in the nation (not to mention high property and sales taxes) and they are bankrupt. Sad. Very sad.
Jackieridgle
TomBear said:

I'm late on this one, but when you leave a place, you can always come back. When you leave this life, the next life will be eternal and there won't be any coming back.

In my opinion, even though I've been threatened and faced a gun pointed at me, I believe sometimes it takes a different kind of strength to remove oneself (and especially one's family) from a bad situation than fight a battle you might not win............at least for now. Leave the future possible victory open and bring strength back to a country that badly needs strength....the USA!

Regardless of how strong you are, be humble enough bring it to God first. And know that we're all behind you whichever way you choose to go.

Really???
bearister
Big C said:

Sounds like most people are advising you to "choose life", but maybe it's a little more nuanced than that...

1. Are you and your wife very happy with your situation Egypt right now, except for the death threats?

2. How credible are the threats? Is there someone there that can help you evaluate them?

You're not a "He died doing what he loved" inscription on your tombstone kind of guy is ya Big C?

tequila4kapp
Sadly, I speak from some experience here. Do not trifle with people who make death threats. This isn't a time to do the strong / weak thing, it's a time to take care of your family by ensuring they have a dad and husband. Get out of there and get back to the states ASAP.
WifeStrong
Hi Everyone. Wife Strong here!

I just wanted to thank the many STRONG posters who took the time to reply to Cal Strong's post and give us their support and advice. Special thanks to those posters who advocate for protecting our strong family and discussing family plans with wife first and foremost. I agree with Cal Strong that teamwork in marriage is strong! (Of course, Cal Strong and I have been discussing our plans for quite a while now, but Cal Strong appreciates the input of other strong BI posters too).

I am hardly a neutral party in this discussion. I have a clear bias. I think that taking this 1-year position in New England is a strong move for STRONG family. But I understand and appreciate how difficult it is for Cal Strong to leave the Jewish, evangelical, Coptic, atheist, Sudanese, Roman Catholic, and Suffi communities that he works so hard for.

Cal Strong has been here for three years. He has helped countless people, not just by advocating for their political and religious rights. He has also coached youth basketball (teaching young Egyptians many valuable lessons) and he has helped Egyptian rugby players get more strong. As a player, he has also helped turn last place adult rec league basketball team ("Truth, Justice, and the American Way") into a constant threat to win the championship. Also, he helped refugees start and sustain small businesses. So it is hard for him to just walk away. But after three years, I feel it is a good time to enjoy watching Cal Strong do pushups and chop wood in rural New England (not really anywhere close to Boston, but lots of good apple picking).

Stay strong!
Yogi58
WifeStrong said:

Cal Strong has been here for three years. He has helped countless people, not just by advocating for their political and religious rights. He has also coached youth basketball (teaching young Egyptians many valuable lessons) and he has helped Egyptian rugby players get more strong.
A little searching on www.basketballstronglikecal.com turned up this gem of Cal Strong's rec coaching.

socaltownie
Leave. It sucks because it sounds like you have a very fulfilling job but right now things are frustratingly bleak. Take the gig in new England. Since they are only offering you a 12 month deal they clearly will not be too bent as you work your network to find the next deal. As others have noted, your overseas experience will be attractive to many employers.
TandemBear
I echo what GMP, Bearister and GiveThemTheAxe said - and anyone else expressing similar sentiments. I'll add that if you came back now, you'd be returning to an incredibly strong job market. What's not to like? Think how much harder it would be to leave if you were coming back to a really down economy and terrible job market?

Make the move! But I don't envy you making the decision of which job and where to relocate to. That's a really tough one, especially with the cost of living issues in our areas with really hot economic conditions. (A recent SF bay area article discussed the challenges families earning $400k are facing in the bay area. Crazy.)

PS/Edit: I have a former colleague who works in Afghanistan. I can't fathom why he would have moved there right when things were most dangerous. He had/has noble reasons - he works in fresh water development - but I just wouldn't put myself in such a perilous environment. But then again, he has no children and his girlfriend is a dedicated women's rights worker, so they have two big reasons to be there. But not me, man!

PPS/Edit #2! Ok, full disclosure... I live in Oakland and by choice. Absolutely love where we live. But, and it's a BIG But... we have endured a lot of property and gun crime in our neighborhood and on our street. A mugging happened across our street in broad daylight. Two of my tenants have been held up at gunpoint. My next door neighbor's tenant was held up at gunpoint. The same next door neighbor's Airbnb guest was held up at gunpoint. A man was shot and killed in a car a block away. A restaurant worker basically across the street was murdered shortly after we moved in. Another restaurant worker was shot and killed about five years ago three blocks away. Gun crime is a problem, that much is established!

This is the Grand Lake neighborhood, which is very vibrant and happening. Real estate prices are through the roof, as are rents. New stores and restaurants open all the time. Lake Merritt just had a $220 million renovation. It's such a great place.

But we have crime and a lot of it and it's serious. So why have I stayed with two kids and a wife? I can't really say, other than that I guess I've unconsciously calculated the odds and decided to stay. My wife feels the same, if not even stronger than I do. She grew up in Oakland, graduated Skyline and attended Cal. So she's East Bay, through and through. But still, is it wise to put my, my wife's, and my kids' well being at risk for this? A dilemma for sure.
Bears2thDoc
Cal Strong should move to Scotland

Cheers!!
Go Bears!!!
Big C
bearister said:

Big C said:

You're not a "He died doing what he loved" inscription on your tombstone kind of guy is ya Big C?

Definitely not, especially since I began reproducing eleven years ago. However, I'm also not a "cower in fear when it's not necessary" person, either, which is why I suggested assessing the credibility of the threats.

For example, as an Oakland native, I'm sure you know that, over the past several decades, many people from other areas in the Bay Area have been afraid of going to Oakland, even though, as we know, much of it is totally safe.

Another example, a woman acquaintance of mine once spent a few months in Mali, working with an NGO, at a time when you'd have thought, to listen to the news, that it was very unsafe. She said, where she was, staying with locals who, by our standards, were very poor, she felt totally safe in public, 24/7.

I've never been to Egypt; I don't know what it's really like. I'd want to find out more, before making a decision. Death threats? I got them here when I was a high school teacher. (I usually still felt safe.)
joe amos yaks
Blueblood said:

If constitutional amendment allows Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi to stay in power until...ho, ho, hoo.....2030 ....I would get the hell out if your politics don't jive with al-Sisi...especially before Trump might
eliminate or otherwise unduly delay your option that you apparently have for now.
If Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi stay in power there will be BIG unrest in Egypt and that won't be safe for anyone. Is Sisi clueless or has he learned anything from the events of 2011?

Enjoy STRONG family, eat ful medames and big kushari, drink salep and get to New England, eat BIG lobster rolls and THRIVE.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Big Dog
agree with others, but Yogi must have had a recent brain fart.

Patriot fans are not soft as baby poop; instead, they are as noxious as the horse manure on The Farm.

Yet, the one good thing about the NE environment is that many are educated elites and they recognize that Cal = Strong. Go Bears!
NoCal65
Sadly, the people of Egypt (and most of the world's third and second world nations, for that matter) have no clue on how to rule themselves other than to allow a dictator/tyrant rule them, whether it be a secular dictator like al-Sisi or a Muslim Brotherhood/Islamist dictator. In my 54 years have never been able to understand why people in these countries allow this to continue and don't fight for their Liberty like our country did 243 years ago.

As for me, and doing what's in America's best interests, and despite the unpleasantness of it, I'll stick with a dictator like al-Sisi all day long over a Muslim Brotherhood/Islamist dictator. Radical Islam in a human being is like rabies in an animal.

In Egypt, the only two realistic options at this point are these two choices. And while neither of these choices are very good, al-Sisi is definitely the lesser of two evils. He likes America, hates the radical Islamists who run Iran, Lebanon and Gaza, has a decent working relationship with Israel and has been the best of the recent Egyptian dictators/tyrants (but still highly inadequate) in protecting Coptic Christians from radical Islamists.
Cal Strong!
joe amos yaks said:

If Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi stay in power there will be BIG unrest in Egypt and that won't be safe for anyone. Is Sisi clueless or has he learned anything from the events of 2011?

Enjoy STRONG family, eat ful medames and big kushari, drink salep and get to New England, eat BIG lobster rolls and THRIVE.

Sisi government definitely have unhealthy fascination with Cal Strong. Cal Strong followed by minders and have his strong phone tapped by weak cowards.

Cal Strong never feel good after eating ful. Cal Strong get food poisoning several times from ful. But Cal Strong big fan of koshari, mashi, and tamaaya. That being strongly said, Egyptian food WEAK for the most part. There good reason it hard to find Egyptian restaurants even in the most cosmopolitan western cities.

If anyone know any think tank or political operatives looking for strong middle east and/or religion/violence/peace making expert, please connect Cal Strong.

Wife Strong and Cal Strong had long conversation last night. Long conversations strong! Teamwork in marriage NOT WEAK! We decide to leave Egypt one month from now. It break Cal Strong's big strong Cal heart. But it for the best. After 6 week furlough in Sydney, Cal Strong return to USA to toughen up America's thinking.

Cal STRONG!
GMP
Good for you. Good luck, The Duke.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.