Now, who thinks Cal is going to win 8 games?

5,545 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rushinbear
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Who wants to buy this bridge?

Wilcox had better wake up and get a big time OC. Noa leaving suggests that the players (and recruits) know
Cal's offense isn't going anywhere soon.

packawana
If Duncan transfers then you can see me on this. Otherwise it's just typical attrition.
NVBear78
Happy Mother's Day Blue, I will make a prediction of eight Wins though I think that will probably take a bowl game win to accomplish.

Go Bears!

Signed, the optimist...
71Bear
NVBear78 said:

Happy Mother's Day Blue, I will make a prediction of eight Wins though I think that will probably take a bowl game win to accomplish.

Go Bears!

Signed, the optimist...
I'm with you - including a bowl win, eight....

Signed, a realistic optimist!
Yogi58
If we get 8 wins this year, then I'm 100% sold on Wilcox. Gonna be a lot of tough games.
Goobear
Yogi Bear said:

If we get 8 wins this year, then I'm 100% sold on Wilcox. Gonna be a lot of tough games.
We will be a tough out..hoping we will be average on offense
89Bear
Goobear said:

Yogi Bear said:

We will be a tough out..hoping we will be average on offense
Agreed. I think Brown will be a revelation. That and improved QB play in my opinion. Offense will move towards average. Defense will be lights out. At least 8 wins overall. Kicker will play an important role. I think Thomas will make a difference.
joe amos yaks
Go Bears. 9-3 in 2019.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Blueblood

"Pour me another cup of hope!"

Thanks for the laughs guys....I knew that I can always count on the BI sunshine pumpers to
perk me up....ahahahaa...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAaaaaaaa
wifeisafurd
I expect a lot of close games with the defense keeping us in play. The offense could improve, it can't really get much worse. The problem is the tougher schedule. I can see 8 wins including a bowl gam, with some offensive improvement. But the ball has to bounce right given how close I think the games will be.
OneKeg
My prediction: 6-6 prior to bowl game.

Offense may improve a bit. Not as much as we hope given losses of Mekari, McMorris, Noa. Garbers or Modster really stepping up in the Fall could change things.

I think the defense will still be good (Goode being back helps) but slightly worse. Without Palmer at nose guard and with one less proven MLB (with JK gone), I think teams with a good power running attack will be able to run right at us and prevent our opportunistic back 7 from making as many game-changing plays. Hoping Wilcox and DeRuyter prove me wrong.

So overall, my guess is we'll likely be about as good as last year, but with a tougher schedule (Utah and ASU seem tougher than CU and UofA, and we have one more road game).
calumnus
OneKeg said:

My prediction: 6-6 prior to bowl game.

Offense may improve a bit. Not as much as we hope given losses of Mekari, McMorris, Noa. Garbers or Modster really stepping up in the Fall could change things.

I think the defense will still be good (Goode being back helps) but slightly worse. Without Palmer at nose guard and with one less proven MLB (with JK gone), I think teams with a good power running attack will be able to run right at us and prevent our opportunistic back 7 from making as many game-changing plays. Hoping Wilcox and DeRuyter prove me wrong.

So overall, my guess is we'll likely be about as good as last year, but with a tougher schedule (Utah and ASU seem tougher than CU and UofA, and we have one more road game).

This is probably a good, rational guess given what we know today. I do think Dancy will be great if he can stay healthy, the passing attack is credible and the playcalling is good/not predictable.

The BIG question is our passing attack, especially at WR. From our horrible passing game last year we lose our top 4 players in receptions, and of our top 10, we return only 3. Duncan, now the "veteran," has a history of injuries. Hawkins and Remigio struggled to catch the ball. We lose our top 3 TEs from last year. I have a good feeling about Castles, but he had only one catch last year (before he got hurt?).

We really need a whole bunch of guys, including new comers, to step up. Baldwin's spread offense requires that the defense respect our receiving threats and spread their defense accordingly. A great RB, an upgrade at QB won't matter if opponents can crash the LOS like they did last year.

So in addition to hoping a bunch of guys pan out, I hope we move to more of a power spread, utilizing our TEs and maybe even an extra lineman in short yardage situations. This is the time for irrational exuberance, so until proven otherwise, I am hoping for great things this Fall, from the returners, the newcomers and from Baldwin. Go Bears!

Big C
8-4. Maybe 7-5, but I'll go with 8-4.

I've always figured Noa was leaving, that's no surprise. He's graduating. Best of luck to him.
calbear80
Who is going to run the ball? Who is going to catch the ball? Defense will be good, but, we have to point up some points to win games.

Go Bears!
bearsandgiants
calbear80 said:

Who is going to run the ball? Who is going to catch the ball? Defense will be good, but, we have to point up some points to win games.

Go Bears!
We only need to score 2.
71Bear
bearsandgiants said:

calbear80 said:

Go Bears!
We only need to score 2.
And the D would do that. The O need not score at all....
FloriDreaming
I don't believe 8 regular season wins is unduly optimistic. In fact I see it as realistic given the trajectory under Wilcox.

Defense will likely improve. Cal's D last season was very good, but not elite. it could get to that elite level in 2019. Offense will likely not improve. But it doesn't have to improve, just clean up the game-killing turnover problem.

Yes, the program overall will still be mediocre. The offense will not get better under Baldwin. Cal will continue to squander an outstanding improvement in defense with this boring, incompetent offense as long as Baldwin is there. But even so, an elite defense will be enough to get the Bears a +1 over last season.

I don't see that as optimistic on any level. The level of improvement on defense speaks for itself, as does the depth chart. Objectively, Cal and UW have the two best defenses in the Pac 12 going into next season. I'm fully acknowledging the problems on offense. I want Baldwin out of there as much as anyone. I can't stand this boring, incompetent joke of an offense. HOWEVER, as bad as it is, limiting TOs is something even a bad coach can address. If Baldwin does only that and the offense stops giving away points, Cal will inevitably win one of those games they gave away last season, and as long as we don't draw our mirror image (TCU) in a bowl, will be in good shape for winning a bowl, too.
Big C
calbear80 said:

Go Bears!
I think we're fine at RB (Brown, Dancy, Collins). I'm a little less optimistic about the receiving corps, but we have some guys, plus 2-3 more non-freshmen arrive in the summer.

The quarterbacking should improve a bit. Maybe the o-line will, too. They were starting to play decently last season, before some injuries took their toll.

The offense probably isn't going to be "good", but it should be better than last year. With our defense leading the way, we get to 8-4. I mean, that's my HOPE, but a reasonable case can be made, as well, so it's also my expectation. (Heck, my "hope" is for the Rose Bowl... every damn year.)
Blueblood

Keep it coming sunshine pumpers.
Hey where do you guys get your
morning cups of hope? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
By mid-summer you guys will
have Cal playing Ohio State in
the RoseBowl!
LodeBear
give me a break. defense will get us to 4 wins. if the offense is not good, not very many more wins. i doubt it will be good. hopefully only average verses terrible. schedule is brutal so i am predicting 4 to 5 wins. and wilcox should get bonus only if he can win 9 plus games. He did not prove to me he can win alot of games to justify his 3 million a year contract. he should be making 2 mill. and have bonuses for the rest. if he does not like it, he can find another HC job, which he probably wont be able to now. i paid alot of money for my football seats, so i expect better football than this last year on offense. other teams have seen cals Defense, so now they will scheme their offense to counter our defense. we will see if the defense will be as effective as last year. If the defense is, then i may up my win total. anyway Go Bears.
72CalBear
Game #2 at UW should tell us a lot. If we keep up, score some points, we might get to 7 wins, otherwise I just don't see it with our schedule.
NYCGOBEARS
6-9 depending on the offense.
XXXBEAR

Ok Cal fans-think about it...

Cal has #1 or #2 defense in league, above average special teams and average offense = 8 wins.

Hell we may upset the Huskies (again) with their new QB early in the season, and this year beat WSU...

Look for a 4-1 or 5-0 and ranked Cal playing Oregon on October 5. Then we'll see.

Utah looks like the strongest overall but no dominate QBs.

We will have our chances. I just hope Wilcox is right about Baldwin...
Golden One
The chances of us having an "average" offense are not good. Going from terrible to average is a huge step, and with the same coaching staff and without a major infusion of new talent, the odds are slim.
calumnus
Golden One said:

The chances of us having an "average" offense are not good. Going from terrible to average is a huge step, and with the same coaching staff and without a major infusion of new talent, the odds are slim.

So you're saying there's a chance!

Go Bears!
BearSD
I'll be an optimist and predict 8-4, but that will require getting 3 to 5 times as much out of the QBs as last year. Having an average or better Pac-12 offense with the 11th or 12th best QB play in the conference won't happen.
Fyght4Cal
Eight wins will be tough, but we can do it. So long as our defense performs at least as well as last year. The running game looks to improve, although we lack sufficient depth. The Bears need the experienced OL to step up. Although young, they have a lot of playing time between them. It will be disappointing if there is any regression up front.

It's still unclear who are playmakers are at WR. Jordan Duncan and Jeremiah Hawkins are the leaders. But there's room for others to assert themselves.

Our TE room is small, but mighty. I look for McCallan Castles to have a breakout season. Reinwald and Moore should see a significant PT.

The QB situation gives me anxiety. At the Cheezit Bowl we sat in the first row of the end zone. Our unobstructed view made it clear that Garbers had no zip on the ball. The passes looked almost soft enough for me to catch.

Garbers is #1, but that worries me. Ideally, we want Modster to get up to speed, to learn the playbook and improve his accuracy. QBs 1 & 2 should be pushing each other. I like the fact that we will have 5 in the room, including the experienced Newman, with the two freshmen pulling up the rear.

All I know about ST is that Coutts is golden. Also, Siemieniec booms those kickoffs. Oh, and Remigio is pretty clean on PR. Having Dancy join Davis on KR gives us a lot of speed, for any kicks that fall short of the the end zone. Our blocking up front leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully Ragle can use the time he formerly devoted to the TEs on KR and KO coverage.

With any amount of luck, we'll start 4-0, after road wins in Seattle and Oxford. If so, we have a great shot at 8+ wins. Go Bears!

okaydo
Everybody is so pessimistic.

Pessimisism weak.

Optimism strong.

Cal will win 7 games minimum and destroy Ole Miss, USC and Stanford.
Yackattack
Offense may improve a bit. Not as much as we hope given losses of Laird, McMorris, Wharton. However if Garbers is our starter....... I'm afraid we will be in for a long season.
Bears2thDoc
That's 8 wins during regular season .....yes?
I think we can do that...
It might take two seasons though.

Cheers!
Go Bears!!!
KenBurnski

"We think BlueBlood should sack up!"
Blueblood
KenBurnski said:

"We think BlueBlood should sack up!"

"I've sacked up enough, already!"
rkt88edmo
Yeah, since we're only graduating Padre, we should be a top seed next year with Silky and IntuitioN returning as long as the meta doesn't get terran heavy.
Sebastabear
I'm always optimistic . . . till I'm not.
Rushinbear
Blueblood said:

Who wants to buy this bridge?

Wilcox had better wake up and get a big time OC. Noa leaving suggests that the players (and recruits) know
Cal's offense isn't going anywhere soon.

JW is using the Patriots as a model, maybe Wiscy. Mature journeymen who do their jobs. It will come together a little more, if Baldwin puts it together. Jury's still out on him and on the vision of the team model. D will be still better.

QB - the qb's didn't cope with sudden chaos very well last year and, they were inexperienced. This year we'll have forward-looking competition and that will bring out the best guy.

RB - more capable guys this year. More speed, elusiveness and talent. How far they go depends on passing becoming a threat. I think rb will be slightly improved. Better able to rotate guys in.

WR - hate to say it, but did we lose much? Good guys who didn't perform (maybe because of qb, maybe). We'll be no worse, here.

TE - same as wr. The enthusiasm of a couple of talented young guys could upgrade the production. Can't catch much worse.

OL - last year was a mystery, even before the injuries. Sumpin' wasn't right there. The new center will be at his natural spot and I see him driving the bus. They'll be improved...or else - young guns acomin'.

DL - everyone back but one? And, the replacements have talent? I don't see a falloff here.

LB - one good one leaves, another returns. The others will be better still. These guys will be elite.

DB - everyone back from an elite squad. One more year of experience and physical maturity and we'll be looking at dominance.

8 wins is doable. Maybe UW is asking too much, but catching them early gives us the best chance.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.