An Odd Transfer Portal Story - 5* Chris Steele from LA

4,522 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rushinbear
golden sloth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apparently Chris Steele, a 2019 five-star CB recruit from LA and currently attending Florida, entered the transfer portal once he was denied a request to change housing facilities as his roommate (a QB at Florida) was accused of assault.

Frankly, this seems like something Florida can clean up (simply grant the housing request change), but it doesn't seem like Steele is accused of anything, and if he wants to play closer to home, I'd hope Wilcox and Alexander reach out.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26713274/top-cb-leaving-uf-dorm-complaint
YamhillBear
golden sloth said:

Apparently Chris Steele, a 2019 five-star CB recruit from LA and currently attending Florida, entered the transfer portal once he was denied a request to change housing facilities as his roommate (a QB at Florida) was accused of assault.

Frankly, this seems like something Florida can clean up (simply grant the housing request change), but it doesn't seem like Steele is accused of anything, and if he wants to play closer to home, I'd hope Wilcox and Alexander reach out.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26713274/top-cb-leaving-uf-dorm-complaint
Well, I see that Cal (and a whole lotta others) did offer him originally...
moonpod
Supposedly Oregon and Florida at the end for him
Another Bear
Interesting stuff because before the open transfer a kid would have to put up and shut up...but not any longer. Dorm disrupt = transfer out, I guess you use what leverage you have. Oh and don't forget, still an multibillion dollar industry run off amateurs who have been treated differently because they have a particular skill.
packawana
Another Bear said:

Interesting stuff because before the open transfer a kid would have to put up and shut up...but not any longer. Dorm disrupt = transfer out, I guess you use what leverage you have. Oh and don't forget, still an multibillion dollar industry run off amateurs who have been treated differently because they have a particular skill.

College football is a professionalised sport now in attitude even if not by law, so the athletes might as well take advantage of it.
Another Bear
Definitely agree, especially given they aren't paid.
Alkiadt
Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...
Have you paid tuition for a 4 year degree lately?

People want to simply forget that most of these kids are granted admission, free tuition, room and board for 4-5 years.
That's anywhere from $100,000 to $300,000 lately, depending on the school.
So they're getting an opportunity for a free education and a degree many kids would die for.
Spare me the ...."they're not getting paid" B.S.....Shame on them if they fail to take advantage of the golden opportunity they get when they are granted a full ride.
Another Bear
Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...

People want to simply forget that most of these kids are granted admission, free tuition, room and board.
That's anywhere from $100,000 to $400,000 lately.
So they're getting tan opportunity for a free education and a degree opportunity kids would die for.
Spare me the "they're not getting paid" B.S.....Shame on them if they fail to take advantage of the golden opportunity they get when they are granted a full ride.
Disagree. Paid means receiving a PAYCHECK for the work provided. At best it's a trade on services for schooling with schools making millions a years on FB games. The top school make 8 figures, like UTexass...$71m a year. Until the new transfer rule, schools held 99% of the cards.

I don't bother to reconcile the conflict of a multi-billion dollar sports industry run off amateurs...but there it is in stark reality. Also of note, it's 2019, not 1952.
71Bear
Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

UDefinitely agree, especially given they aren't paid.
They are "paid"...

People want to simply forget that most of these kids are granted admission, free tuition, room and board.
So they're getting tan opportunity for a free education and a degree opportunity kids would die for.
Spare me the "they're not getting paid" B.S.....Shame on them if they fail to take advantage of the golden opportunity they get when they are granted a full ride.
Disagree. Paid means receiving a PAYCHECK for the work provided. At best it's a trade on services for schooling with schools making millions a years on FB games. The top school make 8 figures, like UTexass...$71m a year. Until the new transfer rule, schools held 99% of the cards.

I don't bother to reconcile the conflict of a multi-billion dollar sports industry run off amateurs...but there it is in stark reality. Also of note, it's 2019, not 1952.
I'm not sure where the numbers cited by the previous poster came from but they are definitely not significant considering the value of the product they produce. Players are the reason college football exists. Therefore, they should be at the top of the compensation scale. If a coach is making $9 million/year (Dabo S.), then players should earn at a lot more than between 100k- 400K over a four year stretch.

The argument that players are compensated through their scholarship is a grossly outdated notion.
GMP
Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...

People want to simply forget that most of these kids are granted admission, free tuition, room and board for 4-5 years.
That's anywhere from $100,000 to $300,000 lately, depending on the school.
So they're getting an opportunity for a free education and a degree many kids would die for.
Spare me the ...."they're not getting paid" B.S.....Shame on them if they fail to take advantage of the golden opportunity they get when they are granted a full ride.
Sounds good. Your employer will now pay for you to share a small apartment with a few other people. You'll be fed. You'll be required to get up very early to workout. You'll be required to attend classes, and not necessarily of your choosing - ones that fit the schedule they've made for you. If you want a class that conflicts, too bad. Oh, and you'll no longer receive a paycheck. OH! And there are no viable alternatives for you to practice your chosen profession while actually getting paid.

I'm very sure you'd take this deal and agree that you are "paid". /sarcasm
Alkiadt
71Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...

I'm not sure where the numbers cited by the previous poster came from but they are definitely not significant considering the value of the product they produce. Players are the reason college football exists. Therefore, they should be at the top of the compensation scale. If a coach is making $9 million/year (Dabo S.), then players should earn at a lot more than between 100k- 400K over a four year stretch.

The argument that players are compensated through their scholarship is a grossly outdated notion.
We disagree and that's fine..
The vast majority of these kids wouldn't qualify for admission to begin with.
Another Bear
71Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...

At one point in time it was likely a reasonable trade but that was long ago...before massive TV contracts, TV executives, paid bowl committees and conference commissioners. That's a lot of people being paid (for real) while the who actually make it happen...get a schollie with many strings attached.
Rushinbear
Another Bear said:

71Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...

At one point in time it was likely a reasonable trade but that was long ago...before massive TV contracts, TV executives, paid bowl committees and conference commissioners. That's a lot of people being paid (for real) while the who actually make it happen...get a schollie with many strings attached.
You pay them a paycheck and they become employees, subject to the responsibilities of same. Employment at will unless they unionize and then you can say goodbye to college fb as we know it. They have to file income taxes and pay on all that money in their checks. The Bears would become a minor league team. It becomes a completely different proposition, one that most of us would not like to see.

What you can say now is that these kids go into the deal with their eyes open. They know "the score." And, if they didn't like it, they could join one of those fledgling leagues or go abroad. The problem with their going right into fb as a profession is that they're 18 year olds up against grown men who see them as taking their meal tickets away.

The way it is now gives them a chance to ease into this demanding life and decide whether they want it or can handle it.
71Bear
Rushinbear said:

Another Bear said:

71Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...

You pay them a paycheck and they become employees, subject to the responsibilities of same. Employment at will unless they unionize and then you can say goodbye to college fb as we know it. They have to file income taxes and pay on all that money in their checks. The Bears would become a minor league team. It becomes a completely different proposition, one that most of us would not like to see.

What you can say now is that these kids go into the deal with their eyes open. They know "the score." And, if they didn't like it, they could join one of those fledgling leagues or go abroad. The problem with their going right into fb as a profession is that they're 18 year olds up against grown men who see them as taking their meal tickets away.

The way it is now gives them a chance to ease into this demanding life and decide whether they want it or can handle it.
No one is suggesting unionization or employment at will. What is being suggested is a 5 year contract for x dollars. The dollars would be utilized (in part) to pay for their education. A player could walk away from the contract after three years but would receive no further benefits.
Blueblood
He's taking his ***** to Oregon.
GMP
71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

Another Bear said:

71Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...

No one is suggesting unionization or employment at will. What is being suggested is a four year guaranteed contract for x dollars. The dollars would be utilized (in part) to pay for their education.
At the very least, allow players to sign endorsement deals, etc. (take away these stupid and fake "amateur" restrictions). It would greatly reduce the call to "pay" players.
71Bear
GMP said:

71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

Another Bear said:

71Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

TUDefinitely agree, especially given they aren't paid.
They are "paid"...

No one is suggesting unionization or employment at will. What is being suggested is a four year guaranteed contract for x dollars. The dollars would be utilized (in part) to pay for their education.
At the very least, allow players to sign endorsement deals, etc. (take away these stupid and fake "amateur" restrictions). It would greatly reduce the call to "pay" players.
https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/05/14/ncaa-working-group-profits-name-image-likeness-student-athletes

The NCAA is looking at this idea. This would certainly take some pressure off paying athletes.
Rushinbear
71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

Another Bear said:

71Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...

No one is suggesting unionization or employment at will. What is being suggested is a 5 year contract for x dollars. The dollars would be utilized (in part) to pay for their education. A player could walk away from the contract after three years but would receive no further benefits.
No, but that's what it will come to and in not too distant a future. The Bureau of Labor has struck down much stronger claims to contractual status.
bearister
I think the Transfer Portal itself is odd.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
hanky1
Wow I don't fault the kid for wanting out.

Nowadays, anyone remotely associated (even tangentially) w sexual assault gets tarred and feathered. He wanted a different dorm room from someone accused. He didn't want to have his name tarnished through no fault of his own. Good for him. Florida coaches are dumbasssses for not noticing.
GivemTheAxe
71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

Another Bear said:

71Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...

Solutions that appear simple often have unexpected complications. Here are a few complications.
Does this mean that the school no longer provides a scholarship for each athlete but replaces it with this new contract?
Or is the amount of the scholarship deducted annually from the contract amount?
I assume that this new contract would apply to all athletes whether recruited or
"walk-on"
If the athlete leaves the team (but stays in school) would that terminate the contract?
Or does the contract continue?
If the athlete drops out of school entirely does the contract continue?
If the athlete changes schools (to one in the same conference or to one in another conference) would that terminate the contract?
Would the new school and the old school both be required to pay the athlete?
Would there be a covenant not to compete built into the contract? (Yes I know that there may be problems enforcing such a covenant in CA. But this is not necessarily the case in other States.)
Would the athlete be considered an employee under local, State or Federal law?
What about OSHA? How would that play into the analysis (with all the head trauma created by the job)?
What about long-term disability claims for on-the-job injury to the brain?
What about local, State and Federal tax consequences? Withholding? social security?
Would the school be required to provide tax counseling?
Would the athlete be eligible for 401k made available for other employees of the school?
Etc. Etc.

IMO unionization won't kill college football. But it would be killed if athletes are considered employees. The schools could not deal with all the financial complications.
The only solution would be for there to be special legislation in each state to resolve the problems.
Alkiadt
GivemTheAxe said:

71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

Another Bear said:

71Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...

Solutions that appear simple often have unexpected complications. Here are a few complications.
Does this mean that the school no longer provides a scholarship for each athlete but replaces it with this new contract?
I assume that this new contract would apply to all athletes whether recruited or
"walk-on"
If the athlete leaves the team (but stays in school) would that terminate the contract?
If the athlete changes schools (to one in the same conference or to one in another conference) would that terminate the contract?
Would there be a covenant not to compete built into the contract? (Yes I know that there may be problems enforcing such a covenant in CA. But this is not necessarily the case in other States.)
What about OSHA? How would that play into the analysis (with all the head trauma created by the job)?
What about local, State and Federal tax consequences? Withholding? social security?
Would the athlete be eligible for 401k made available for other employees of the school?
Etc. Etc.
Thanks.
I can't wait to see how our "expert in all things", 71Bear, answers....lol
dajo9
71Bear said:

GMP said:

71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

Another Bear said:

71Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

TUDefinitely agree, especially given they aren't paid.
They are "paid"...

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/05/14/ncaa-working-group-profits-name-image-likeness-student-athletes

The NCAA is looking at this idea. This would certainly take some pressure off paying athletes.
This would tip the scales even further towards the big time programs. If this happens I check out of collegiate athletics.
American Vermin
71Bear
GivemTheAxe said:

71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

Another Bear said:

71Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...

"walk-on"
Etc. Etc.

IMO unionization won't kill college football. But it would be killed if athletes are considered employees. The schools could not deal with all the financial complications.
The only solution would be for there to be special legislation in each state to resolve the problems.
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
No
No
Yes
No
Yes
No
-
-
-
No
Yes

Simple answers to complex questions. Anything else?
Rushinbear
GivemTheAxe said:

71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

Another Bear said:

71Bear said:

Another Bear said:

Alkiadt said:

Another Bear said:

They are "paid"...

"walk-on"
Etc. Etc.

I fear for the life of the first union steward who confronts a head coach with a grievance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.