In Depth Review of Ole Miss

2,328 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by hanky1
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
from the Athletic. May be behind a pay wall. A spooky number of similarities to our program last year.

1. Second year head coach who hired two former head coaches to be his OC and DC respectively. In Luke's case two names we know well - Rich Rodriguez and Mike MacIntyre.

2. Stellar offensive stats and horrific defensive stats (yeah I know that was us in 2016, not 2017 or 2018, but we certainly remember what that feels like). They had top 10 yards per play and top 11 passing yards per game in each of the past two seasons. But Ole Miss had 5 offensive players drafted so that's going to change a bit. Also going to have a young oline. Graduated three of their four starters last year. Clocked in at 113th in both points per game and yards per play on defense. Haven't finished better than 116th against the run since 2015.

3. Very young 5* offensive weapon whose status with the program next season is uncertain (in Ole Miss's case that's their running back Jerrion Ealy). Sounds like he may get drafted to play MLB though. Will know in June.

4. Recruiting rankings at 31st and 32nd nationally in 2017 and 2018. That's obviously better than us (70 and 42 respectively) but their in conference rankings are very similar to ours. Plus four of their top six 2017 recruits have left the program. Mind blowingly their 2019 recruiting was 22nd nationally which was only good enough for 9th in their conference. Jesus.

Anyway, those are some of the highlights. Here's the full article if you are interested.

https://theathletic.com/985860/2019/05/22/ole-miss-2019-schedule-roster-depth-chart/?source=dailyemail
calumnus
Sebastabear said:

from the Athletic. May be behind a pay wall. A spooky number of similarities to our program last year.

1. Second year head coach who hired two former head coaches to be his OC and DC respectively. In Luke's case two names we know well - Rich Rodriguez and Mike MacIntyre.

2. Stellar offensive stats and horrific defensive stats (yeah I know that was us in 2016, not 2017 or 2018, but we certainly remember what that feels like). They had top 10 yards per play and top 11 passing yards per game in each of the past two seasons. But Ole Miss had 5 offensive players drafted so that's going to change a bit. Also going to have a young oline. Graduated three of their four starters last year. Clocked in at 113th in both points per game and yards per play on defense. Haven't finished better than 116th against the run since 2015.

3. Very young 5* offensive weapon whose status with the program next season is uncertain (in Ole Miss's case that's their running back Jerrion Ealy). Sounds like he may get drafted to play MLB though. Will know in June.

4. Recruiting rankings at 31st and 32nd nationally in 2017 and 2018. That's obviously better than us (70 and 42 respectively) but their in conference rankings are very similar to ours. Plus four of their top six 2017 recruits have left the program. Mind blowingly their 2019 recruiting was 22nd nationally which was only good enough for 9th in their conference. Jesus.

Anyway, those are some of the highlights. Here's the full article if you are interested.

https://theathletic.com/985860/2019/05/22/ole-miss-2019-schedule-roster-depth-chart/?source=dailyemail

Most are counting Ole Miss and North Texas as "sure" wins, but they will be good match ups.
sonofabear51
Especially North Texas. I don't think they are the pushover they used to be. And Ole Miss in Oxford? Hoping for the victory, but I won't count on it.

Go Bears!!
Start Slowly and taper off
wifeisafurd
Looks like there will be some coordinators that know Cal.

I'd say something about Peeler, but Cal is a totally different team.
Sebastabear
calumnus said:

Sebastabear said:

Most are counting Ole Miss and North Texas as "sure" wins, but they will be good match ups.
The Athletic does imply that if Ole Miss can beat Memphis in the opener going 4-0 to start the season is a strong possibility for them. Suffice it to say that outsiders aren't thinking Cal cruises here.
GMP
But that seems to be referring to the fact it's a home game. At the end, he calls the Cal game a toss up.

I will say that I didn't realize Ole Miss hired both Rich Rod and Mac. This news has me much more concerned about this game than I was previously.
Blueblood
GMP said:

But that seems to be referring to the fact it's a home game. At the end, he calls the Cal game a toss up.

I will say that I didn't realize Ole Miss hired both Rich Rod and Mac. This news has me much more concerned about this game than I was previously.
You wouldn't be so uninformed if you'd have read my early predictions that I made about 5 months ago:

"@Ole Miss- With no more bowl ban and with hiring ex-P12 head coaches Arizona Rich Rodriguez as OC and Colorado Mike MacIntyre as DC, Ole Miss has got be a different team than last season's undisciplined 5-7 one. A possible immediate contribution (he might go into MLB) to this foreshadowed difference is the recent commitment of *****RB Phenom Jerrion Ealy (19th ranked overall prospect), who chose Ole Miss over Alabama and u$C. This game is another tossup but looks like another Cal road LOSS because of home field disadvantage and because the Rebels should definitely be prepared for whatever Cal brings as their OC and DC have faced Wilcox's Bears before."
GMP
Blueblood said:

GMP said:

You wouldn't be so uninformed if you'd have read my early predictions that I made about 5 months ago:

"@Ole Miss- With no more bowl ban and with hiring ex-P12 head coaches Arizona Rich Rodriguez as OC and Colorado Mike MacIntyre as DC, Ole Miss has got be a different team than last season's undisciplined 5-7 one. A possible immediate contribution (he might go into MLB) to this foreshadowed difference is the recent commitment of *****RB Phenom Jerrion Ealy (19th ranked overall prospect), who chose Ole Miss over Alabama and u$C. This game is another tossup but looks like another Cal road LOSS because of home field disadvantage and because the Rebels should definitely be prepared for whatever Cal brings as their OC and DC have faced Wilcox's Bears before."

Yes, but, I don't read your threads.
Blueblood
GMP said:

Blueblood said:

GMP said:

...that's obvious....I think its your loss to let narrow mindedness limit your knowledge.....or augment to your apparent head-in-the-sand approach to Cal life..or wasting feeble emotion in expressing dislike for a fellow Bear fan...sad.....but understandable!
Sebastabear
Blueblood said:

GMP said:

Blueblood said:

GMP said:

...that's obvious....I think its your loss to let narrow mindedness limit your knowledge.....or augment to your apparent head-in-the-sand approach to Cal life..or wasting feeble emotion in expressing dislike for a fellow Bear fan...sad.....but understandable!
Well to be fair BB I do read all your posts and appreciate your efforts to add actual football discussions to our football message board. But even I'd forgotten about the MacIntyre/ Rich Rod thing until I read it again. I think it was crowded our of my mind by the abortion / tax policy / BBQ sauce threads.
Blueblood
Sebastabear said:

Blueblood said:

GMP said:

Blueblood said:

GMP said:

Well to be fair BB I do read all your posts and appreciate your efforts to add actual football discussions to our football message board. But even I'd forgotten about the MacIntyre/ Rich Rod thing until I read it again. I think it was crowded our of my mind by the abortion / tax policy / BBQ sauce threads.
I am aware of what you say. However, I was also aware of the basis for GMP's post to me.
hanky1
calumnus said:

Sebastabear said:

I'd probably say Ole Miss is a probable loss for Cal
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.