It only took 18 years, but Marvin Lewis is finally joining the Pac-12

3,016 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GBear4Life
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

KoreAmBear
That raises their profile for recruiting.
71Bear
KoreAmBear said:

It does? Please explain....
GBear4Life
these are made-up, low-paying positions created for fired HC to officially be safe from their buyout's clause to make an "honest effort to seek employment". Fired HC gets to recoup basically all of their buyout minus the pennies they get for their "consultant" or "advisor" position lmao. Herm Edwards doing a solid for a friend.

See: Jeff Tedford at UW, Sonny Dykes at TCU etc etc.
Grigsby
71Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Sure, former NFL head coach on staff is desirable because you get more insight.

Big difference between Marvin and day Joe Blow assistant who has played college ball but never played in the pros.
71Bear
Grigsby said:

71Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

YThat raises their profile for recruiting.

Big difference between Marvin and day Joe Blow assistant who has played college ball but never played in the pros.
That still doesn't explain how recruiting will be positively impacted. He is not a coach and cannot interact with players on the practice field or in games.

He is a trinket, an ornament - shiny but useless in the big picture....
oski003
Can he interact with players away from the practice field and away from games? Are they allowed to meet with him in the coaches' offices?
GBear4Life
Grigsby said:

71Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Pretty sure he doesn't have contact with players. It's a zero-net affect on recruiting. Nor will he be in that role for longer than a year, which everybody knows.
KoreAmBear
71Bear said:

Grigsby said:

71Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

That still doesn't explain how recruiting will be positively impacted. He is not a coach and cannot interact with players on the practice field or in games.

You don't think like a high school recruit.
KoreAmBear
GBear4Life said:

these are made-up, low-paying positions created for fired HC to officially be safe from their buyout's clause to make an "honest effort to seek employment". Fired HC gets to recoup basically all of their buyout minus the pennies they get for their "consultant" or "advisor" position lmao. Herm Edwards doing a solid for a friend.

See: Jeff Tedford at UW, Sonny Dykes at TCU etc etc.
The above were not head coaches in the NFL.

Telling everyone that we have a recent NFL head coach around that you can meet and is helping us get better -- I don't know how anyone can just dismiss the potential value of that. I understand this is a token position but kids are into names and star struck (so are we so we post pics on social media of selfies with athletes and celebs), and Marvin Lewis is a name that was prominent in the big show.
hanky1
It's an opportunity for fired coaches to learn how things are done at another program and the program benefits from input of a former HC. They don't just sit around and do nothing.

Jake Browning had his best year when Tedford was there. This fact is not lost on UW fans. He may not have coached him directly but he sure as hell had a hand in game planning and developing a practice structure. I bet you can still get UW fans to say even today it was because of Tedford that Browning did so well that year.
Northside91
71Bear said:

Grigsby said:

71Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Exactly how much shine does a coach who went 0-7 in wild card games give off? Is it like the glint off of a 50 year old garbage can?
GBear4Life
hanky1 said:

Jake Browning had his best year when Tedford was there. This fact is not lost on UW fans. He may not have coached him directly but he sure as hell had a hand in game planning and developing a practice structure. I bet you can still get UW fans to say even today it was because of Tedford that Browning did so well that year.
Well if there are UW fans who actually believe that -- that Tedford's input, channeled indirectly through Peterson and the coaching staff, was the culprit or of Bowning's best season and Teford's departure magically resulted in that being taken away, thus contributing to his regression -- they are stupid.
71Bear
KoreAmBear said:

71Bear said:

Grigsby said:

71Bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

You don't think like a high school recruit.
You are grossly underestimating the intelligence of HS recruits. The days of rolling out a "name" to impress a kid are over. Social media has created a world in which top HS recruits are far more savvy than recruits from back in the day.

Cal8285
GBear4Life said:

hanky1 said:

Well if there are UW fans who actually believe that -- that Tedford's input, channeled indirectly through Peterson and the coaching staff, was the culprit or of Bowning's best season and Teford's departure magically resulted in that being taken away, thus contributing to his regression -- they are stupid.
I'm not sure how you could possibly suggest UW fans could be stupid.

Back in 2003, when Cal fans told UW fans what a horrible coach Gilby was and how bad he would be as UW HC, the UW fans wisely pointed out that Gilby only sucked because he was at Cal, he'd be great at UW. And it turned out that the UW fans were smarter than us, Gilby went on to have two incredibly wonderful great years as UW HC.

Then, when for some mysterious reason, it seemed known that Gilby would be out at the end of 2004 (don't know why he was out when he was such a great HC so long as he wasn't at Cal), the UW fans all knew that Tedford would leave Cal for UW and be their next HC. The UW fans aren't stupid, so I assume my memories of the 2005-12 seasons with Tedford as Cal HC are the result of a delusion.
GBear4Life
Cal8285 said:

I'm not sure how you could possibly suggest UW fans could be stupid.

Back in 2003, when Cal fans told UW fans what a horrible coach Gilby was and how bad he would be as UW HC, the UW fans wisely pointed out that Gilby only sucked because he was at Cal, he'd be great at UW. And it turned out that the UW fans were smarter than us, Gilby went on to have two incredibly wonderful great years as UW HC.

Then, when for some mysterious reason, it seemed known that Gilby would be out at the end of 2004 (don't know why he was out when he was such a great HC so long as he wasn't at Cal), the UW fans all knew that Tedford would leave Cal for UW and be their next HC. The UW fans aren't stupid, so I assume my memories of the 2005-12 seasons with Tedford as Cal HC are the result of a delusion.
The UW fans who believe Tedford is the culprit of Browning's best year, and his absence the culprit of his regression, are stupid. As I clearly stated. (If such fans even exist -- I was taking another poster's word for it)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.