$10 beer in September?

2,069 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MugsVanSant
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey announced Friday the conference is set to lift its ban on stadiumwide alcohol sales Aug. 1.

What could go wrong?
sp4149
Bobodeluxe said:

SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey announced Friday the conference is set to lift its ban on stadiumwide alcohol sales Aug. 1.

What could go wrong?
LSU seemed to have it in hand by limiting the alcohol sales location, Allowing sales stadium wide will not be an improvement,

From the BR Advocate
"Louisiana State University continues to leverage alcohol sales at athletic events with two recent announcements. Football fans will soon have access to a second Tiger Stadium location of "The Chute," where a $20 entry fee afforded access to seven brands of beer and, by midseason, a selection of three wines in 2018. Meanwhile, baseball fans will be able to purchase beer and wine in two tented areas dubbed "The Yard" at Alex Box Stadium.
The original Chute, so named for its proximity to the tunnel players use to enter and exit the field, reached its capacity of 1,250 fans at some point during every home game last season. It opens two hours and 30 minutes prior to kickoff and closes at the start of the fourth quarter. Two beverages are included in the $20 entry fee, and additional beverages can be purchased for $6 each. Per Southeastern Conference policy, all consumption must take place within The Chute.
"The capacity remained the same from the beginning to end," LSU senior associate athletic director Robert Munson told The Times-Picayune of New Orleans. "We thought it was just right. The lines were never long to get in. The lines were never long to get beverages, so it worked out really, really well."
The new locations at Box Stadium will open two hours before first pitch and will sell alcohol until the end of the seventh inning of games, and pricing will mirror that of The Chute. According to The Advocate of Baton Rouge, the SEC remains the only Power 5 conference to prohibit the sale of alcohol in general seating areas, but LSU has pressed forward to give its fans alcoholic beverage options. The SEC policy states that its alcohol ban "shall not apply to private, leased areas in the facility or other areas designated by the SEC."
[url=https://www.nola.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/02/de203f7ea2734/detailed-lsu-athletics-financial-data-2018-revenue-down-expenses-up-from-2017.html][/url]
LSU's athletic department operated at a profit of nearly $8 million during the fiscal year ending June 30, 2018, that that figure represented a drop of more than 50 percent from 2017's $16 million."
wifeisafurd
Bobodeluxe said:

What could go wrong?
U of Texas, in a state with huge firearms sales and people who stand their ground, sells beer at games. At the Cal game at Texas a few years ago, it was well over 100 degree degrees during the game,, and they were selling copious amounts of beer and not checking IDs. And yet no real incidents. Fans were downright polite. Its not like SEC tailgaters aren't somewhat tanked already by the time they enter the stadium. Plenty of events where beer is sold and people act like adults, Such a professional sporting events. Personally, I think the bans are stupid. No reason Cal shouldn't are able to sell beer stadium wide like occurred for decades before. People just have to show some personal responsibility. In fact, attendance might improve.

Edit: not that they did this in Texas, but it seems prudent to cut off beer sales at the start of the fourth quarter just from a driving safety standpoint.
71Bear
Bobodeluxe said:

What could go wrong?
I doubt that much will change. Alcohol has always been available in the "club sections" and Bama has announced they are not going to permit sales in the general seating area of their stadium. Also, Mississippi state law prohibits the sale of alcohol at athletic events at colleges within the state. That law would have to be changed if Ole Miss or Mississippi State were to start selling in their stadiums.
sp4149
wifeisafurd said:

Bobodeluxe said:

What could go wrong?
U of Texas, in a state with huge firearms sales and people who stand their ground, sells beer at games. At the Cal game at Texas a few years ago, it was well over 100 degree degrees during the game,, and they were selling copious amounts of beer and not checking IDs. And yet no real incidents. Fans were downright polite. Its not like SEC tailgaters aren't somewhat tanked already by the time they enter the stadium. Plenty of events where beer is sold and people act like adults, Such a professional sporting events. Personally, I think the bans are stupid. No reason Cal shouldn't are able to sell beer stadium wide like occurred for decades before. People just have to show some personal responsibility. In fact, attendance might improve.

Edit: not that they did this in Texas, but it seems prudent to cut off beer sales at the start of the fourth quarter just from a driving safety standpoint.
Decades before? When I went to Cal in the 60's it was illegal to sell liquor in containers within a mile of campus. Resulted in liquor stores in the middle of blocks, just to be closest to the mile boundary. I remember the Raiders dispensing beer in the CMS pressbox in the '70s, but they weren't selling it.

Before when? I don't remember beer sales back in the fifties at CMS, but I do remember beer at Kezar and Seal's Stadium in SF. (I liked the Hamm's Bear)
bearister
They are also considering bringing back Ten Cent Beer Night.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
LunchTime
wifeisafurd said:

but it seems prudent to cut off beer sales at the start of the fourth quarter just from a driving safety standpoint.
LoL. Everyone knows that if you wait an hour, you are good to drive. /s
Another Bear
For the love of Pete...it's Berserkeley sell pot at games. It's legal and people tend to chill out and not get rowdy, let alone fight. Just can't see rushing the field after that.

Okay seriously, the issue is beer vendors walking the stadium and fans never having to get up. That's when the peeing in the stands and the rowdiness starts. That's the left field bleachers at the old Stick...paddy wagon parked right underneath.

+1 on stopping sales after the 3rd quarter.
CaliforniaEternal
Last I heard there was a lot of discussion about alcohol being sold at CMS this fall. Are those plans still on the table?
MugsVanSant
I don't think it would be a problem to sell near beer. If it was available it would be my choice. I have to drive home. There are several good ones. Some have quite a placebo effect.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.