"Nobody likes" Chip Kelly...

14,750 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TheFiatLux
GoBears89
How long do you want to ignore this user?

From a CURRENT UCLA player. OUCH!!
KoreAmBear
GoBears89 said:

From a CURRENT UCLA player. OUCH!!

Let me guess, a guy getting no minutes.
Beardog26
Actually, I was told by the family of a kid on last year's Bruins team that Kelly, after attending a few weekly senior captains/leaders meetings, decided to send an underling to represent him at a meeting, then failed to ever attend another meeting again the remainder of the season. Apparently, said senior captains/leaders were less than impressed. Have also heard that he wants little to do with meetings/contacts with alumni. Sometimes, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Clearly, the guy can coach offensive football. I just think his act gets old and he wears out his welcome after a period of time. A bit like Harbaugh in that regard. I'm not saying fucla won't bounce back and have some success under Kelly's system, but his track record and what I've heard indicate whatever success he does have is not likely to be long lasting.
GBear4Life
Kelly might simply not be a people person.

Who cares about the alumni schmoozing stuff, but he's got to at least pretend he gives a sh*t about the players.
Beardog26
I guess that's my point.
Another Bear
I think this is Chippy's last go round...unless he wins but it doesn't look good. Here's a good read that jumps off that. They still hate him in Philly.

Here's the thing, he won at Oregon with a system that everyone has caught up to. The NFL is using RPO now. His famous use of players with desire over talent worked at Oregon but not in the pros and it doesn't look to work at UCLA, not with a players mutiny at hand. Of course he gutted Philly's roster using this logic figuring his system would work and he's a genius.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/06/eagles-news-ucla-football-player-says-no-one-likes-chip-kelly/
Quote:

"I don't think Chip and I ever had a conversation about his personal life in the three years that we worked together," Mike Bellotti, his former boss at Oregon, told the LA Times.

Kelly's ultimate downfall in Philadelphia came in January 2015 when Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie gave him the keys to the personnel department, shifting Howie Roseman to the other end of the building. Kelly had been winning football games, even made the playoffs in his first season, but his managerial eye was crude.

In retrospect, Lurie called the move one of his biggest regrets.

TDub
GBear4Life said:

Kelly might simply not be a people person.

Who cares about the alumni schmoozing stuff, but he's got to at least pretend he gives a sh*t about the players.
And recruiting.
dajo9
I'd like for Cal to have a coach we can all grow to hate after a few Rose Bowls
American Vermin
hanky1
He took over a program at Oregon with a very strong culture. His goal was just not to rock the boat with the culture. I wonder how successful he'll be if he's required to make a culture change when taking over a losing program. I don't know....
calumnus
Another Bear said:

I think this is Chippy's last go round...unless he wins but it doesn't look good. Here's a good read that jumps off that. They still hate him in Philly.

Here's the thing, he won at Oregon with a system that everyone has caught up to. The NFL is using RPO now. His famous use of players with desire over talent worked at Oregon but not in the pros and it doesn't look to work at UCLA, not with a players mutiny at hand. Of course he gutted Philly's roster using this logic figuring his system would work and he's a genius.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/06/eagles-news-ucla-football-player-says-no-one-likes-chip-kelly/
Quote:

"I don't think Chip and I ever had a conversation about his personal life in the three years that we worked together," Mike Bellotti, his former boss at Oregon, told the LA Times.

Kelly's ultimate downfall in Philadelphia came in January 2015 when Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie gave him the keys to the personnel department, shifting Howie Roseman to the other end of the building. Kelly had been winning football games, even made the playoffs in his first season, but his managerial eye was crude.

In retrospect, Lurie called the move one of his biggest regrets.

Knew Kelly was a bad fit for UCLA, personality wise. They keep making the same mistake over and over.
MSaviolives
Beardog26 said:

Actually, I was told by the family of a kid on last year's Bruins team that Kelly, after attending a few weekly senior captains/leaders meetings, decided to send an underling to represent him at a meeting, then failed to ever attend another meeting again the remainder of the season. Apparently, said senior captains/leaders were less than impressed. Have also heard that he wants little to do with meetings/contacts with alumni. Sometimes, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Clearly, the guy can coach offensive football. I just think his act gets old and he wears out his welcome after a period of time. A bit like Harbaugh in that regard. I'm not saying fucla won't bounce back and have some success under Kelly's system, but his track record and what I've heard indicate whatever success he does have is not likely to be long lasting.

Definitely his M.O. at Oregon. His disdain for alumni schmoozing, and for recruiting visits, were cited as motivating factors to move to the NFL. To be fair, I would also hate doing those things, but I'm not a football coach.
NVBear78
This info (along with Chip's less than stellar first season at UCLA) not to mention all the transfers out confirms my initial feelings...

Why do people think Chip Kelly will be great at UCLA? I have a UCLA bud who is in love with every move of the Chipster regardless of results. Unfortunately we laid our biggest egg of the year with them last year so I can't give my buddy a hard time.........yet. I think this will change after our game this year.
wifeisafurd
I will join the parade when we beat one of his teams.
OneKeg
wifeisafurd said:

Agreed. We have lots of Cal fans on this thread and I think an SC fan (TDub) chimed in there. But Chip and his apparently dysfunctional Bruins beat both Cal (handily) and SC last season with a true freshman and backup QB respectively.

Kind of like how Cal fans have predicted for years how Shaw's Stanford teams would decline into mediocrity. They are not quite at the elite level they once were, but still kicking our behinds.

Let's beat these guys.
calbear93
wifeisafurd said:

What, you are not in favor of moral victories?
Blueblood

"I like Chip. He has purpose, albeit
angonizingly slow but he is building
a soon to be monster."
Northside91
I was gonna say that high school's tough on the fat kid, and they never get over it, but Chip wasn't fat in high school. Maybe his wife did a Bellotti. Or maybe he's just a genetic asswhole.
GBear4Life
As far as I can tell, Kelly is unquestionably one of the best HCs in all of football at any level. He's an as*hole HC? That's not novel at all...
NVBear78
GBear4Life said:

As far as I can tell, Kelly is unquestionably one of the best HCs in all of football at any level. He's an as*hole HC? That's not novel at all...

How is he one of the best Head Coaches in all of football given his record at UCLA last season and his last few years at Philly and when he was with the 49ers? How many years has it been since he had a winning record?
Yogi58
NVBear78 said:

GBear4Life said:

How is he one of the best Head Coaches in all of football given his record at UCLA last season and his last few years at Philly and when he was with the 49ers? How many years has it been since he had a winning record?
He is a good college coach until proven otherwise. He is not a good NFL coach. That has been established.

The two are not the same thing.
Blueblood
Yogi Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

GBear4Life said:

He is a good college coach until proven otherwise. He is not a good NFL coach. That has been established.

I agree with Yogi, besides I like everyone, even ....(cough, cough)...Blueblood!

PtownBear1
Yogi Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

GBear4Life said:

Saban, Carroll, Petrino, Riley, Spurrier, and I'm sure several other top college coaches who failed in the NFL would agree with you. Not sure why that concept is so hard to grasp for some.
TDub
PtownBear1 said:

Yogi Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

GBear4Life said:

Saban, Carroll, Petrino, Riley, Spurrier, and I'm sure several other top college coaches who failed in the NFL would agree with you. Not sure why that concept is so hard to grasp for some.

FWIW Pete Carroll did not fail in the NFL. His first stint he made the playoffs. We know what he did at SC as well as post SC.

NVBear78
Yogi Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

GBear4Life said:

That is a fair statement:

I just believe Wilcox's achievements in his first two year are superior to what Chip Kelly did last year with the talent he had at UCLA.

And we shall see this year which direction the good ship Kelly is heading

Count me as one having more faith in Wilcox then the Chipster.
Another Bear
I think Chip is going to have trouble with the APR, academics and recruiting at UCLA. He doesn't seem inclined to care and that was his MO at Oregon. He's took the football player over student-athlete route and had NCAA violations that resulted in a 3 year probation...AFTER he left.

It was a slap on the wrist so he'll likely do it again, play it the same way as when he was at Oregon: ignore it, play through and leave when the seat gets hot. The end result will be he'll leave after 4 years and leaves UCLA in the doghouse and it will get the same (stricter) student-athlete admission requirements as Cal.

Kelly blowing off meetings, not communicating with players and general arrogance towards the CFB process seems on par with leaving a program in the crapper. But yes, he's won some Rose Bowls.
PtownBear1
TDub said:

PtownBear1 said:

Yogi Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

GBear4Life said:

FWIW Pete Carroll did not fail in the NFL. His first stint he made the playoffs. We know what he did at SC as well as post SC.

Ah you're right, he was 27-21 as an NFL HC before taking the SC job. Then again, the Chipster was 26-21 at Philly with one playoff appearance as well. He then went 2-14 with the 9ers, but not sure Bellichick would have done much better with that crappy team.
GBear4Life
NVBear78 said:

GBear4Life said:

Look at what he did in Philly first couple of years. So the Eagles flatlined and regressed (look at his personnel and QB, yet see what he managed to do with Sanchez and Foles). Then he wins 3 games with the worst team in football, the 49ers. He arguably failed as a GM, but to say he isn't a good coach and strategist is to simply not be paying attention.

Tedford was a bad coach, then he starts winning again and he's a good coach?
GBear4Life
NVBear78 said:

Just silly, just plain crazy. I guess it's faith, so by nature it's irrational, but to have more 'confidence' in 2 year HC with a below .500 record than a HC who turned Oregon into a national power in short order, turned it into an NFL gig where he did have some success is just silly. It really is.
NVBear78
GBear4Life said:

NVBear78 said:

Just silly, just plain crazy. I guess it's faith, so by nature it's irrational, but to have more 'confidence' in 2 year HC with a below .500 record than a HC who turned Oregon into a national power in short order, turned it into an NFL gig where he did have some success is just silly. It really is.

It wasn't Kelly that turned Oregon into a power, they were already there under Bellotti. Kelly did take them a step higher.

Sure there is some faith in my view of Wilcox but this is my opinion from watching both of them at their present positions...

How do you explain Kelly's 3-9 record last year with all the athletes he had at UCLA vs Wilcox first year where he was a dropped two point conversion pass from a bowl? After his troubles at Philly and SF his trend line is not good...
ColoradoBear
There's also a big difference in motivation between a guy who is young and not established (Oregon Chip), and a guy who has $50+ million in career earnings (UCLA Chip).
FuzzyWuzzy
Another Bear said:

Here's the thing, he won at Oregon with a system that everyone has caught up to.
Yep. Which is not to say the zone-read can't work if run well. It's basically a staple in today's college game. But it is no longer the schematic advantage that it once was.
Bear19
dajo9
Kelly's real genius was his strategy for holding off the line of scrimmage
American Vermin
GBear4Life
FuzzyWuzzy said:

Another Bear said:

Here's the thing, he won at Oregon with a system that everyone has caught up to.
Yep. Which is not to say the zone-read can't work if run well. It's basically a staple in today's college game. But it is no longer the schematic advantage that it once was.
Their advantage was executing to perfection AND the pace in which they played (15 seconds in between snaps). Those advantages still exist today.
TDub
GBear4Life said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

Another Bear said:

Their advantage was executing to perfection AND the pace in which they played (15 seconds in between snaps). Those advantages still exist today.
Other than the substitution rule that was changed you're correct, however, that adjustment was the great equalizer.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.