OT: Big CRISPR news

4,046 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by juarezbear
OskiBear11Math
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/06/25/patent-office-renews-dispute-over-patent-rights-to-crispr-cas9/
GivemTheAxe
OskiBear11Math said:

https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/06/25/patent-office-renews-dispute-over-patent-rights-to-crispr-cas9/

Encouraging. Not a definitive win, but Cal lives to fight another day.
I wonder if this ruling might motivate the parties to come to some form of
settlement.
Often I have seen two parties locked in a life or death struggle successfully reach a settlement when one party's summary judgment order is set aside and the parties must face a long trial on all issues where the ultimate outcome is far from certain.
santacruzbear
The Wikipedia entry on CRSPR does not mention Jennifer Doudna. I can imagine who submitted it. Someone should change it or alert Cal.
bear2034
santacruzbear said:

The Wikipedia entry on CRSPR does not mention Jennifer Doudna. I can imagine who submitted it. Someone should change it or alert Cal.
Her name is there but it doesn't claim she invented the technology. There's no mention of Berkeley.
ClevelandBear
It's Wikipedia. Anyone can edit it. Why don't you?
santacruzbear
ClevelandBear said:

Someone from Cal Public Relations familiar with science writing and the topic should do it. One of the authors of the many press releases Cal has issued on CRISPR is an obvious choice. The Wikipedia article completely overlooks Doudna and Berkeley (thanks Oskirules for pointing that she is mentioned, but only once and without crediting Berkeley).

We all assume Doudna will deservedly share a Nobel Prize for CRISPR, but it's not a sure thing given the focus on the MIT-Harvard work. Cal professor Gabor Somorjai was expected to get a Nobel when surface chemistry was recognized by the Nobel committee, but he was shut out in 2007. The same thing could happen to Professor Doudna. Sure the Nobel selectors won't likely be influenced by a Wikipedia article, but Wikipedia is widely read and I feel that every opportunity should be taken for Cal to promote itself and one of its stars.
GivemTheAxe
santacruzbear said:

ClevelandBear said:

Someone from Cal Public Relations familiar with science writing and the topic should do it. One of the authors of the many press releases Cal has issued on CRISPR is an obvious choice. The Wikipedia article completely overlooks Doudna and Berkeley (thanks Oskirules for pointing that she is mentioned, but only once and without crediting Berkeley).

We all assume Doudna will deservedly share a Nobel Prize for CRISPR, but it's not a sure thing given the focus on the MIT-Harvard work. Cal professor Gabor Somorjai was expected to get a Nobel when surface chemistry was recognized by the Nobel committee, but he was shut out in 2007. The same thing could happen to Professor Doudna. Sure the Nobel selectors won't likely be influenced by a Wikipedia article, but Wikipedia is widely read and I feel that every opportunity should be taken for Cal to promote itself and one of its stars.

Great idea. But I doubt that anyone from Cal Public Relations reads or visits this Board.
Perhaps someone on this Board who has contacts with anyone in Cal Public Relations should pass on this recommendation.

Last year Sixty Minutes did a report on CRISPR and the great things that were being done. It bugged the heck out of me that the story began with an interview with a Dr Jung (?) at MIT who was reported as the inventor of CRISPR then turned to the leader of the Broad center at Harvard and MIT explain how broadly the CRISPR was being licensed throughout the world.
There was a very brief mention that Dr. Doudna and The University of California was claiming to have invented CRISPR and that that claim was before the US Court of Appeals. (About 10-15 seconds just enough to keep 60 minutes from being sued by Cal).
But the rest of the story was focused on De Jung Harvard MIT and the Broad Center as the creators of this great gift to the scientific community.
santacruzbear
GivemTheAxe said:

santacruzbear said:

ClevelandBear said:

Great idea. But I doubt that anyone from Cal Public Relations reads or visits this Board.
Perhaps someone on this Board who has contacts with anyone in Cal Public Relations should pass on this recommendation.

Several months ago Sixty Minutes did s report on CRISPR and the great things that were being done. It bugged the heck out of me that there was little or no mention of Doudna or Cal.
I emailed Dan Mogulof of Public Affairs this morning. I have no special access but have corresponded with him before.
TheSouseFamily
On the bright side, Cal got a shout out in the news reporting on the new $50 app called DeepNude, that turns a photo of someone clothed into a fake nude picture.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/kzm59x/deepnude-app-creates-fake-nudes-of-any-woman

"In an email, the anonymous creator of DeepNude, who requested to go by the name Alberto, told Motherboard that the software is based on pix2pix, an open-source algorithm developed by University of California, Berkeley researchers in 2017. Pix2pix uses generative adversarial networks (GANs), which work by training an algorithm on a huge dataset of imagesin the case of DeepNude, more than 10,000 nude photos of women, the programmer saidand then trying to improve against itself. This algorithm is similar to what's used in deepfake videos, and what self-driving cars use to "imagine" road scenarios."
GivemTheAxe
TheSouseFamily said:

On the bright side, Cal got a shout out in the news reporting on the new $50 app called DeepNude, that turns a photo of someone clothed into a fake nude picture.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/kzm59x/deepnude-app-creates-fake-nudes-of-any-woman

"In an email, the anonymous creator of DeepNude, who requested to go by the name Alberto, told Motherboard that the software is based on pix2pix, an open-source algorithm developed by University of California, Berkeley researchers in 2017. Pix2pix uses generative adversarial networks (GANs), which work by training an algorithm on a huge dataset of imagesin the case of DeepNude, more than 10,000 nude photos of women, the programmer saidand then trying to improve against itself. This algorithm is similar to what's used in deepfake videos, and what self-driving cars use to "imagine" road scenarios."

Forget CRISPR Here is where the real money will be made ;-)
oski003
https://www.dailycal.org/2019/07/15/patent-board-announces-interference-between-uc-broad-institute-crispr-patents/

Btw, I'm not a big fan of CRISPR as its application almost leveled the entire city of Chicago.
bear2034
University of California now with 10 CRISPR patents.

https://news.berkeley.edu/2019/07/23/newly-granted-crispr-patents-boost-ucs-u-s-portfolio-to-10/

UC Berkeley Files Patent Motions Against Harvard, MIT. They are still going after them.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2019/8/2/ucb-files-crispr-motion/

juarezbear
oski003 said:

https://www.dailycal.org/2019/07/15/patent-board-announces-interference-between-uc-broad-institute-crispr-patents/

Btw, I'm not a big fan of CRISPR as its application almost leveled the entire city of Chicago.

How did it almost level Chicago?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.